Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fear of drugs

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

chicorytip wrote: »
    Cliches about expanding your mind with drug use hold no truth whatsoever but what is beyond doubt is the damage that all types of drugs - both legal and illegal - can cause to the body's vital organs even when consumed in small quantities. If you want to expand your mind get an education, experience fine literature, art, music, theatre, film. Experience foreign travel, different cultures. Eat a healthy diet and take regular exercise maaaaaannnnn!!
    Never said anything about expanding your mind - just a pleasant sensation, the way a few glasses of wine gives a pleasant sensation.

I don't know if what you said is beyond doubt in relation to extremely small quantities. As in, a dab once a year.

All the things you listed are indeed better for you, and the same folk do those as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,044 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

chicorytip wrote: »
    Cliches about expanding your mind with drug use hold no truth whatsoever but what is beyond doubt is the damage that all types of drugs - both legal and illegal - can cause to the body's vital organs even when consumed in small quantities. If you want to expand your mind get an education, experience fine literature, art, music, theatre, film. Experience foreign travel, different cultures. Eat a healthy diet and take regular exercise maaaaaannnnn!!

Depends on how you define drugs. And damage, for that matter. But there are positives as well to a lot of them, both legal and illegal. Most of the damage is only caused when people abuse though and people don't understand this and it's this ignorance that leads to fear.

I've done all the things you suggest in order to expand the mind, also. They all have their uses. You they've all led to pleasant experiences, they've all expanded my mind.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭ArnieSilvia

Sounds like he's made things up just to scare you.

You won't get HIV if you don't use a needle at all. Heroin is just the brand name of Diamorphine wich is 1.5x times stronger than Morphine, these miracle drugs make it possible for people with cancer to live some sort of a normal & more comfortable life. The people who get HIV or get ****ed from making their own from poppy plants (wich sounds made up) usually don't seem to have a clue how dangerous sharing needles is, people get infections & blisters from street Heroin mixed with all kinds of ****, if your lucky in Ireland you might get Heroin that is 50% pure, usually it's around the 35% mark.
    And a lot of people who tried making their own drinks during prohabiton during the 1920s went blind from drinking it because they had no idea what they were doing, others made 100% proof whiskey because they also didn't know what they were doing & died after a couple of shots, like the strongest in Ireland is 38 or 40%.

I'm actually glad he scared me, maybe that was enough to discourage me to go down that road. I enjoy my life as is, brother died from cancer when I was a kid and ever since I enjoy every morning I wake up. ****ty days are part of life too and no need to go desperate about it. I've learned to enjoy small things, don't need the most expensive stuff, money is only means to enjoy life etc. Kind of contrary to people around me who get depressed from not having this or that. Or people bit younger than me who melt down if they don't get instant gratification.

Saying that, I am now living in a place that is a definition of depressing hole, trying hard to keep afloat, not giving up yet:D I can understand why people want to run away from this, why so many die from suicide in Ireland. This place is a definition of depressing environment. From weather to having to conform to the rules always. Drugs are not an answer though. My answer is to get the hell out of here. I'm currently waiting for feedback from a very important interview that might change our lives.

Couple of years ago I worked in a facility making Fentanyl, I think 200 times stronger than morphine. I could smuggle home literally any quantity. 100000 patches made daily, 20000 were ending in the bin. Nobody would notice 100 here or there. I could stick any number of patches on me if I wanted. I didn't bring any. I didn't use any. Never crossed my mind. I didn't care about it. I had my wife, kids, drift cars and other things that I enjoyed (and still do).
    Turned out I could be a drug lord:D:D:D

That poppy seed plant kompot stuff is the real thing and was done 100% back in the day. It was called "Polish heroin" and was discovered by two chemistry students in 1976 in Gdansk. Look it up. Amphetamine and other tablets were also made in home labs, usually by chemistry students:rolleyes:

Reading back my post I might have come across agressive but I developed total resentment for people on drugs, that's how life shaped me. Or just imagine you were a father witnessing your child doing it to themselves to understand my point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Think drugs are bad???

Try this 5hit

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Fear of drugs? Stop talking through your arse op.
    Each to their own. If you like drugs then good for you. Some people like a good McDonald's while others like kale in there smoothie. The point is each to their own.

• Advertisement

Each to their own. If you like drugs then good for you. Some people like a good McDonald's while others like kale in there smoothie. The point is each to their own.
    The OP didn't criticise people taking drugs - and said they've experimented themselves. They were just asking why others fear them.

And whatever about taking a little bit of a substance (besides heroin, crack, meth, whatever others of their ilk) very occasionally, it is stupid to over-do them (ditto alcohol).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

For me, it was always and still is about quality control. Alcohol can absolutely be very harmful but you know exactly what you’re getting. Any legal alcohol sold has been through quality control. How harmful it is is down to the individual. Illicit drugs - do you know their provenance? Their chemical profile?

Yeah when people say "alcohol is worse" it looks fairly "lady doth protest too much".

Yeah when people say "alcohol is worse" it looks fairly "lady doth protest too much".

Again, depends on who's taking it and how much they're taking. But it HAS been proven to be safer than a lot of banned or controlled substances.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Undividual

Sorry, I must have missed it. Was there a point?

• Advertisement

Again, depends on who's taking it and how much they're taking. But it HAS been proven to be safer than a lot of banned or controlled substances (heroin, crack cocaine and crystal meth excepted).

People who drink alcohol but frown on other things simply because of their legal status always looks fairly holier-than-thou to me.

It’s not frowning upon for all of us. I’d be much more willing to try other substances if they were legal because knowing where they came and what’s contained in them from would be so much easier. The legal status of a substance is quite important in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

It's really annoying to talk to people who will consume alcohol fairly frequently, habitually to the point of what you could probably call dependence, yet at the same time manage to hold a hardline blanket opinion on all other drugs being bad or dangerous.

I can understand fear or reluctance to admit the positives of certain classes of drugs in everyday non medical use, but lumping for example psychedelics in with opiates is just brain dead.

A informed approach with substances, their properties, effects, possible side effects, being sensible with dosage and only taking them in an appropriate setting is the way to go.

Sure, eat around 200g of salt in a single sitting you supposedly have a 50% chance of dying.
    Used with a bit of common sense it can beneficial for your health and can produce a rather pleasant experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I don't know to be honest - I was always the one who wanted to try them all!

Except, heroin and tobacco - neither ever appealed to me. I wouldn't call it a fear though they just both strike me as dirty.
    Heroin is solely for skanks, and tobacco - what exactly is the point, it does nothing bar make you stink.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,127 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

With the home made heroin in poland, I saw this a while back.

And wrt fear of drugs, well it's not irrational. Fear of Fentanyl is very well founded. Cops have died by coming into contact with it.

Fear of weed is definitely less warranted.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,479 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Heroin is solely for skanks, and tobacco - what exactly is the point, it does nothing bar make you stink.

The sensation of smoking is glorious.

I've been off now a few months and I still miss it. Not from an 'I NEED NICCOTINE NAO!' point of view, I'm over that, but just the enjoyment.

It's like if someone asks you to give up chocolate. You can go ahead and do it, but you'll always remember what chocolate tasted like and there's part of you that would probably still enjoy it. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

I don't know to be honest - I was always the one who wanted to try them all!

Except, heroin and tobacco - neither ever appealed to me. I wouldn't call it a fear though they just both strike me as dirty.

Heroin is the one I think Id love!! But I do like my sleep......

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Grayson wrote: »
    With the home made heroin in poland, I saw this a while back.

And wrt fear of drugs, well it's not irrational. Fear of Fentanyl is very well founded. Cops have died by coming into contact with it.

Fear of weed is definitely less warranted.
    Was in a Cannabis club this week, 20quid to join and then you're off, take your pick of the strains ala Amsterdam and take home as much as you like. It wasny displaying any advertising and it was out of the way. Inside it appeared to he run by a nice bunch of lads and there's was games, movies music and a band stage.... Overall it works. If such places opened in Ireland the government may need to own them, as the profits would invite criminality and extortion and vandalism from knobeheads. It does seem to work.

It’s not frowning upon for all of us. I’d be much more willing to try other substances if they were legal because knowing where they came and what’s contained in them from would be so much easier. The legal status of a substance is quite important in that regard.

Fair enough. I've been always done the research and only take from trusted sources (who refuse to pass on anything until they've tried ti themselves). Only eve had one mildly bad trip and that was on a natural substance, but I took a little more than I should have and should have known better.

The legality is the catch-22 situation: they're illegal because they're supposedly dangerous; but the reason they're potentially dangerous is because they're illegal...

....... wrote: »
    Heroin is the one I think Id love!! But I do like my sleep......

Wouldn't be for me, I have tried other opiates on rare occasions I've always thought " do people actually enjoy feeling like this" ?

My preference was always for stimulants and psychedelics.

If you're not up for 3 or 4 straight days chasing leprechauns, you'd be better just having a nice cup of tea and a biscuit;)

o1s1n wrote: »
    The sensation of smoking is glorious.

But the smell - dear jesus, it's revolting, actually stomach churningingly revolting.
    There's no buzz to be had, bar killing the craving that wouldn't be there if you hadn't started in the first place. I just can't understand the appeal!

And the smell, did I mention that, it's not good :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,660 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

So what?

When you used to be able to beat your wife all day and she couldn't leave that was The Law.

It doesn't say much that you haven't developed a sense of morality beyond believing what people tell you is right is right.

Laws can be arbitrarily written and passed based on the whims of legislators - they aren't some omniscient benevolent force.

To repeat myself from another thread currently ongoing:
    Legality ≠Morality

Remember that time all drugs were accidentally legalised for a day or two?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,660 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

They should just legalize everything and let them at it.
    I really couldn’t care anymore as it’s been talked to death.
    Just dont expect me as a taxpayer to contribute to getting them cured if they become addicted.

You're already contributing to curing people of nicotine and alcohol addiction (do taxes also look after heroin addicts?).

If you're not up for 3 or 4 straight days chasing leprechauns, you'd be better just having a nice cup of tea and a biscuit;)

I do like a nice cup of tea and a biscuit ;)

Master of the Universe

But the smell - dear jesus, it's revolting, actually stomach churningingly revolting.
    There's no buzz to be had, bar killing the craving that wouldn't be there if you hadn't started in the first place. I just can't understand the appeal!

And the smell, did I mention that, it's not good :eek:

When you smoke you don't notice it at all. It completely disgusts me now though, actually gives me a headache!

There's no buzz to be had, no, but there's no buzz to be had from chocolate other than a bit of an endorphin rush. It's more about the pleasure of consuming the item.

A smoke with a glass of wine on a sunny day in a beer garden somewhere is just...ah I better shut up before I end up back on them.

There's no buzz to be had, no, but there's no buzz to be had from chocolate other than a bit of an endorphin rush. It's more about the pleasure of consuming the item.

There used to be a buzz. When i started smoking there was definitely a buzz. Id feel sort of tingly and pins and needlesy. It stopped happening when I became a regular smoker but it would come back if Id had to go a long time between cigarettes.

Master of the Universe

....... wrote: »
    There used to be a buzz. When i started smoking there was definitely a buzz. Id feel sort of tingly and pins and needlesy. It stopped happening when I became a regular smoker but it would come back if Id had to go a long time between cigarettes.

Yeah I remember that too when I started smoking as a teenager. I think half of it was also probably adrenaline from doing something you knew you weren't meant to be doing.

Although, that's more of a drinking an espresso or standing up really quicky (!) buzz than an off your face on MDMA at a festival buzz :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

greencap wrote: »
    are you really arguing that street ecstasy from a random dealer is comparable to carefully timed, well reasoned doses from a phd who regularly undergoes government run professional assessment.

you might have a 'standard' 2mg, 5mg, 10mg, commercially produced medication/pill.

remind me again, what are the standard weights of yokes. you know, the ones that travelled to ireland in a serbians arse, and were made in wherever.

ffs.

No one keysters E!! Its handy enough to press in Ireland. Why risk getting caught transporting it over a border.

Yeah I remember that too when I started smoking as a teenager. I think half of it was also probably adrenaline from doing something you knew you weren't meant to be doing.

Although, that's more of a drinking an espresso or standing up really quicky (!) buzz than an off your face on MDMA at a festival buzz :pac:

Absolutely - it definitely didnt last long.

I used to think it was partially fuelled by doing something bold until I had surgery as an adult and didnt smoke for a couple of days, the first one gave the teenage buzz!

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

Never smoked, Never Drank, Never done drugs, 25 now. I have my reasons, nothing against those who do any of the 3 (Except if your a junkie because I am paying for your methadone). Its not a fear, I just chose not to. I have never had the urge to do any of the 3 and I don't think I ever will, I am happy, that's all that matters.

• Advertisement

Fair enough. I've been always done the research and only take from trusted sources (who refuse to pass on anything until they've tried ti themselves). Only eve had one mildly bad trip and that was on a natural substance, but I took a little more than I should have and should have known better.

The legality is the catch-22 situation: they're illegal because they're supposedly dangerous; but the reason they're potentially dangerous is because they're illegal...

Yeah, that’s not quality control in the way legal substances are. :D With legal ones, there’s no need for human guinea pigs outside of R&D drugs. Believe me, I’ve worked in pharmaceutical QC. You wouldn’t believe the stringency. Down to having to tidy up my handwriting when I started and having to learn how close out my ‘o’s and ‘0’s and cross my ‘7’s in order to rule out ambiguities in test results if we were audited. That’s the level of nitty gritty we’re talking here.

But I agree - it is a catch-22. Legalisation would hopefully lead to safer products. But getting substances legalised is the stumbling block.

Advertisement