Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Good Fight (Good Wife Spin-off)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I want to throw Axes now.

https://www.axethrowing.ie/

There's actually a place in Galway you can do it (yes, I want to throw axes now too and looked it up!)

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

What a great opening episode.

NDA diddy

The struggles of what to watch on Netflix.

Oh and of course sexual harassment at work.

Hunting with the Trumps :pac::pac::pac:

#MeToo

The drama and comedy is so perfectly mixed I love this show.
    Have loved it since beginning but I'm so ****ing sick of metoo, trump, sexual harassment, hearing about racism, the only thing missing was Brexit.

I WILL drop it if they don't...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Show has really lost its way. Its gone from a drama with some well timed humour into a farcical comedy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,310 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Really enjoyed this weeks episode.
    Michael Sheen was insanely OTT but it worked for the character.
    I liked seeing a bit more Cush Jumbo as well she is a really strong character.

I can do without the songs every week though if I am honest, fine as a once in a while.
    I would also like to see some more cases with people actually in court...but hey only 2 episodes in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

cmac2009 wrote: »
    Show has really lost its way. Its gone from a drama with some well timed humour into a farcical comedy.
    Based on the latest one, yes I'd agree. Michael Sheen is just plain annoying and the courtroom shenanigans are cringeworthy. Not started well in Season 3 IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,951 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

fonzie-jumping-the-shark-gif-6.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

The show is starting to waiver for me.
    It started out as a show involving a Bernie Madhoff-style wealth fund scandal, and a black-majority Chicago law-firm - a show which essentially played it straight for the most part but could also crack a joke - now we have Diane with literal Trump-derangement syndrome, meeting people in underground car-parks and talking to her husbands gunshot wound. Mya found magic spectacles and Michael Sheen doing his best Al Pacino in Scent of a Woman impression. Its a show in danger of becoming 'Ally McBeal 2.0'.
    It needs to get back to basics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭corkie

For anyone that missed the first two season,

Starting late tonight 01:55, RTE 1 have a repeat showing of S01E01.

https://entertainment.ie/tv/rte-one/?date=29-03-2019&time=after-midnight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,951 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

corkie wrote: »
    For anyone that missed the first two season,

Starting late tonight 01:55, RTE 1 have a repeat showing of S01E01.

https://entertainment.ie/tv/rte-one/?date=29-03-2019&time=after-midnight

I loved the first 2 seasons. After watching the second episode of season 3 I'm not sure I'm liking the direction it's going!!

• Advertisement

2smiggy wrote: »
    I loved the first 2 seasons. After watching the second episode of season 3 I'm not sure I'm liking the direction it's going!!
    3rd one is not a whole lot better but a little bit more settled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭cmac2009

is_that_so wrote: »
    3rd one is not a whole lot better but a little bit more settled.

That doesn't sound convincing enough for me to watch it! Think I'll knock this off my list.

cmac2009 wrote: »
    That doesn't sound convincing enough for me to watch it! Think I'll knock this off my list.
    Like the other posters found first couple of seasons pretty enjoyable but they've made some bad calls this season so far. The worst by far is Michael Sheen, followed quickly by the increasingly deranged Trump obsession by Diana.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

The whole 3rd season is mad so far. Going to stick with it for better or for worse.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭fitz

I love how it's leaning into the quirkiness tbh.
    It's what makes the show different, and not just a retread of what The Good Wife did.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Caught the first episode on All4; Sheen-less, but I thought it was fairly boilerplate Good Fight at this stage, don't get the criticism. The topicality too, it has pretty much been both this shows stock in trade and its previous iteration. Politically aware, with a pleasing anarchic, quirky tone.

Diane's Trump obsession was a bit nuts, particularly the hallucination but again, the Kings have always intentionally leaned into hot button material, with a broadly neutral angle (albeit with a slightly left leaning slant).

Good to see Jonathan Coulton return with that NDA song, having penned the often hilarious intro themes of the Kings' failed show "Brain-dead", which really did push their satirical bent to 11.

• Advertisement

Season 3 episode 3...what a mess of an episode, such a disappointment.

The good
    Marisa and Luca both excellent and finally more to do. Maia was also fun

The bad
    Michael Sheen is an OTT disaster, honestly that last section...
    Diane needs to be in court, I am bored of the Trump stuff tbh, give her a bloody court case they are meant to be lawyers ffs.
    I am done with the songs they totally take you out of the show. Also the
    nsa are back..I was bored of them the last series and I am even more bored of them now. Michael Sheen singing piss off seriously

I agree it needs to go back to basics, I loved the first 2 seasons they were just weird enough but concentrated on the cases.

fitz wrote: »
    I love how it's leaning into the quirkiness tbh.
    It's what makes the show different, and not just a retread of what The Good Wife did.

Obsessive might be a word for it and being quirky for the sake of it can only last so long. They have relegated some of the better characters to just passing in the hallway shots.

Got around to watching Ep 3 last night. Wasn't as bad as I had thought.
    Michael Sheens character was funny with the
    introduction of the Luger and nazi evidence.
    The whole Luca having nappies in her work bag scene was too Aly McBeal though.
    They would be better trimming the cast and dropping the musical numbers.
    Does anyone really give a shid about Dianes trump-resistance storyline? Or Julius' run for Judge?
    Can't see it getting a fourth season. Which is disappointing as I thought it and the Good Wife were both cleverly written.
    They need to bring back The Practice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Obsessive might be a word for it and being quirky for the sake of it can only last so long. They have relegated some of the better characters to just passing in the hallway shots.

But the show has been quirky from the start; even Good Wife wasn't above a certain resting level of ... maybe not quirk, but definitely a knowing wink. The judges alone often tipped the hat, so often outsized comedy characters.

I like the occasionally screwball, almost silly nature of the show & gives it a voice and personality that separates it as its own unique animal.

pixelburp wrote: »
    But the show has been quirky from the start; even Good Wife wasn't above a certain resting level of ... maybe not quirk, but definitely a knowing wink. The judges alone often tipped the hat, so often outsized comedy characters.

I like the occasionally screwball, almost silly nature of the show & gives it a voice and personality that separates it as its own unique animal.
    Occasionally yes...the quirky characters made it (Elsbeth, judge abernathy etc)...but they now appear to have just gone a bit batsh#t crazy with musical interludes (which kind of took over braindead as well) and OTT actually insane Michael Sheen....I will still watch but lets have Diane and Luca etc in court and involved in interesting cases, rather than the stuff about trump and baby diaper bags I couldnt give a toss about.

I actually quite liked the Marisa and Julius section in episode 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I'm on more 4 pace, so am behind, but I found the nda song in episode one very patronising.
    They should think more of their audience than having to explain stuff like that, like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,946 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I love the Michael Sheen character.
    Love the Trump thing.
    There is a lot going on in this show, very enjoyable watch for me.

A fan of quirky myself and I'd agree on the show but they have sidelined almost all of the characters and some serious storylines. Need those too or it is Ally McBeal! And Sheen is a really bad call IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,890 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

No Sheen this week and it was a much much better episode for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Mia fired
    . Can't say I am upset. It might progress the plot now.

Much better ep without Sheen.

That was the worst episode this season.

I completely disagree about Sheen, his character is fun. I wouldn't be in favour of him being in it every week but a bit like Elsbeth in the good wife as an in and out character. I'd like to see him in court battles against the firm and defending the firm. I think it'd be great fun.
    The Mia story may be interesting, I hope it is.

On episode 2 and oof, just got to Sheen's character. Yeah He's loud, literally and figuratively, but I think this is intentional; the mention of Roger Stone tipped the shows hat towards what they might be aiming for.
    I mentioned Braindead before and I'm sure the Kings are backdooring some of the broad satire from that into Good Fight. IMO, Sheen's Blum and Diane are being pitched as opposite ends of the spectrum her; Blum being the cartoon ammoral "conservative" villain (analogous like Stone), while Diane is the Trump obsessed liberal, caught in an impotant rage spiral.
    I do miss Diane actually being part of trials and her character does seem a little trapped within her obsession, but the rest of the cast make up for it. Luca is easily the shows star.

Another poor episode, I thought. Maybe average or frustrating might be a better descriptor.
    Its starting to feel like a show thats going nowhere. Its limping from one SJW talking point to the next.
    Julius' judge position story now looks kaput - what was that about?
    Diane learning the names of every black person shot by the police?
    The racial pay disparities brought up in this episode feel forced though it could be interesting if they continue to nod to the complexities of the situation rather than play it out in the typical or obvious way storylines of this type go.
    They have an opportunity to do something interesting with Myas character - have her go fully on the opposing team with Blum or something.
    Really wish they'd drop the songs and Trump-resistance storyline - its ridiculous.
    Maybe its not a show going nowhere - maybe it doesn't know where it wants to go.

Julianna Margulies say she turned down a cool 3 episode guest arc because the producers wouldn't meet her pay rate they were only offering her the The Good Fight guest pay rate.

“I’m not a guest star; I started the whole thing with The Good Wife,” Margulies explained. “I wanted to be paid my worth and stand up for equal pay. If Jon Hamm came back for a Mad Men spinoff or Kiefer Sutherland wanted to do a 24 spinoff, they would be paid.”

https://tvline.com/2019/04/07/the-good-fight-julianna-margulies-season-3-alicia-cameo-pay/

Interesting, wonder how much she was asking for; obviously too much. I'm actually glad, as near the end of The Good Fight's run it became a little clear that Alicia's story had kinda run its course. I like how The Good Fight has declined to even mention her, has made the show stand stronger on its own two feet.

• Advertisement

Julianna Margulies say she turned down a cool 3 episode guest arc because the producers wouldn't meet her pay rate they were only offering her the The Good Fight guest pay rate.

https://tvline.com/2019/04/07/the-good-fight-julianna-margulies-season-3-alicia-cameo-pay/

Fair play to her.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,151 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Wasn't expecting last night at all.

Interesting, wonder how much she was asking for; obviously too much. I'm actually glad, as near the end of The Good Fight's run it became a little clear that Alicia's story had kinda run its course. I like how The Good Fight has declined to even mention her, has made the show stand stronger on its own two feet.

Sounds all a bit L'Oreal to me. Hints of Bruce Willis about it!

I enjoyed this week's episode and
    it may have been the last we see of Mia (Good) with reports now Rose Leslie has left the show

Do not look at the spoiler unless you see the episode.

Would you punch a Nazi?

Diceicle wrote: »
    Another poor episode, I thought. Maybe average or frustrating might be a better descriptor.
    Its starting to feel like a show thats going nowhere. Its limping from one SJW talking point to the next.
    Julius' judge position story now looks kaput - what was that about?
    Diane learning the names of every black person shot by the police?
    The racial pay disparities brought up in this episode feel forced though it could be interesting if they continue to nod to the complexities of the situation rather than play it out in the typical or obvious way storylines of this type go.
    They have an opportunity to do something interesting with Myas character - have her go fully on the opposing team with Blum or something.
    Really wish they'd drop the songs and Trump-resistance storyline - its ridiculous.
    Maybe its not a show going nowhere - maybe it doesn't know where it wants to go.
    Didn't mind this one so much. Like how they used a single incident to wrap everything up in. That said it seems to be whatever episode they come with this week. Songs are really very annoying at this stage and the show is increasingly peopled by ever more unpleasant characters.

Watched the most recent episode last night. Thought it was overall better than what been par for the course recently but still a luke warm showing overall in terms of previous series.
    I would take some issue with the show
    and one of its core characters (investigator Jay) supporting/promoting physical violence against whomever you deem to be a nazi its not really a good look for the show IMO.

I enjoyed this week's episode and
    it may have been the last we see of Mia (Good) with reports now Rose Leslie has left the show

Do not look at the spoiler unless you see the episode.

Would you punch a Nazi?

Michael Sheen afer 5m :rolleyes:. He's like the songs at this stage, long outstayed his welcome. Spoiler may be true but the bad news is it seems that Sheen is now a cast member. Thought this was an almighty mess. Far too much simplistic and cliched politics and plot devices at work. It's like they don't want to be lawyering anymore! :D

Episode 3 and not just one song but two, I see why folks are a little tired of the goofy songs but *shrug* I like them, especially the animated ones; but I am a fan of Jonathan Coulton so predisposed I guess.

It is a crying shame Diane isn't actually practising law in the show, but I actually think this show is being more even handed than is given credit. The 'liberals' at the group were braying idiots, and they descended into infighting over talking points, while Diane's willingness to dive into the ... uh, good fight :D nearly cost her money.

Marissa and Luca remain the shows shining lights though, the former following in her father's footsteps is interesting. Even Maya has taken a step up, and while Blum is a divisive character, he's pushing her to be less of a wet blanket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

They need to give up on the whole Trump thing, he was elected by the voters and let them vote him out next time instead of using the show as a way to bitch about him.

• Advertisement

They need to give up on the whole Trump thing, he was elected by the voters and let them vote him out next time instead of using the show as a way to bitch about him.

That makes no sense, so should satire just be canned, given Have I Got News For You & its ilk criticises elected governments, or how news sites have plenty of comments sections excoriating elected officials? Sh*tting on politicians is just what happens - that this particular one is a self-perpetuating viral machine who craves attention is only going to result in more pushback.

I get the Good Fights full embrace of Diane's Trump obsession isn't for everyone but the "the vote was had, you shouldn't say anything" argument simply isn't how art, politics or democracies work :)

That makes no sense, so should satire just be canned, given Have I Got News For You & its ilk criticises elected governments, or how news sites have plenty of comments sections excoriating elected officials? Sh*tting on politicians is just what happens - that this particular one is a self-perpetuating viral machine who craves attention is only going to result in more pushback.

I get the Good Fights full embrace of Diane's Trump obsession isn't for everyone but the "the vote was had, you shouldn't say anything" argument simply isn't how art, politics or democracies work :)
    Not a lot of satire going on TBH. Art? They should be mindful of how ratings work!

Not a lot of satire going on TBH. Art? They should be mindful of how ratings work!

It's not on a ratings network.

CBS all Access like all streaming services have different viewing matrix's than just ratings.

As Agent Coulson said, it's not a ratings network, hence why there is so much cursing for one thing; as for the question of satire, well that's in the eye of the beholder but it's clear enough to me the Good Fight is leaning into the Trump stuff with its tongue at least partly in its cheek. And as I said, the meeting of fragmented, shouty liberals was evidence enough this isn't as histrionic and one sided as others might suggest...

As Agent Coulson said, it's not a ratings network, hence why there is so much cursing for one thing; as for the question of satire, well that's in the eye of the beholder but it's clear enough to me the Good Fight is leaning into the Trump stuff with its tongue at least partly in its cheek. And as I said, the meeting of fragmented, shouty liberals was evidence enough this isn't as histrionic and one sided as others might suggest...

I don't see the satire, more of a hodge podge of current political trigger points. I certainly don't see anything as being clear enough and it looks more like let's try this plotline or that one and see what doesn't unravel. Maia is one example. They gave her a new persona straight off and then what? I am finding my level of boredom with the whole thing increasing and the number of potentially irritating aspects is increasing; Sheen and the bloody songs for two. Additionally there have been about two bits of court cases in four episodes. Not a lot for a law firm show.

I think I'm warming to Sheens character though wouldn't like to see him there for the long haul.
    My own issue with the anti-trump rhetoric on the show is that it doesn't seem particularly nuanced, and Dianes own ongoing Trump-derangement-syndrome is seemingly focused on THE TRUMPS not the administration which is fine but its all very 'orange man bad' and sort of silly.
    It would be nice to see some introspection on the liberal side of the argument in the show to balance the fairly constant SJW theme - though it was good to see that the 'resistance' weren't stereotyped as angels.

Just a thought that occurred to me, as I agree the writing in this season seems all over the place - theres a fairly big industry battle going on with writers in the States right now - could that be affecting the quality of the writing. I remember years ago when the writer strike was on - that years season of everything from Heroes, Lost and 24 were all pizz poor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,232 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

I like last weeks episode, it was fun to see that for once Establishment Republicans are not totally evil in the scenes at the polling place.

Unlike Diceicle I can't warm up to Sheens character, the fact he now might become a long term part of the show is actually turning me off a little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

I like last weeks episode, it was fun to see that for once Establishment Republicans are not totally evil in the scenes at the polling place.

Unlike Diceicle I can't warm up to Sheens character, the fact he now might become a long term part of the show is actually turning me off a little.

Sheens character is just a little bit too much, and putting false witnesses on the stand is stretching believability.

Thought this one was a whole lot better, more structured but still bordering on chaos and absurd plotlines. As others have noted it needs the best characters properly on-screen and all three were to the fore here. Still think Sheen is a bad call but slightly less repugnant here.

This show and it's predecessor were not afraid to be bold about political stuff.

I remember they embraced Anonymous in the Good Wife. They went on about people being tapped by the government too. Now they are introducing viewers to troll farms.
    I think the Michael Sheen character is a likeness of Donald Trump, basically the lawyer version. He does what he wants and then tries to turn it back on you when found out. He is more intelligent than people give him credit for so you better be careful.
    It's a great show imo, they've went off on a bit of a side road but it's still great.

Watched it last night and I think we're still driving through obsessive-trump-nonsense territory.
    This season has really gone off the rails IMO - I dont think we even saw the inside of a court room in this episode.
    There doesn't seem to be a coherent narrative, its all over the shop. (
    Marissa lusting after blum? The ridiculous melania story? And the over the top PR person - 'you're mean!!'
    )
    Early seasons of 'fight and most of the Good Wife I would comment to myself at how clever the writing was - this is a far cry from that. Its cringe inducing at times.
    If it wasn't a show that I watched together with my wife I'd probably drop it.
    Its really on a skid into becoming Ally McBeal After Dark.

• Advertisement
Advertisement