Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mexico Vs Ulster ultimate epic super build up thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Had a dream last night that Ulster win...but I don't see it happening.

🤪

• Subscribers Posts: 41,227 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

leinster gone from -15 this morning to -13 after word of sexton probably not playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Awec complains about the officials 2/7

I'm changing this to 1/100000000 as I'll go broke otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

sydthebeat wrote: »
    leinster gone from -15 this morning to -13 after word of sexton probably not playing.

Wow. I would have gone the other way, but okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,490 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Anyone any idea what's up with Sexton? Nothing seems to be doing the rounds other than the Indo article.

God I miss my mole in UCD.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,509 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

O'Sullivan,
    Best,
    Moore,
    Henderson,
    Treadwell,
    Timoney,
    Murphy,
    Coetzee,
    Cooney,
    Burns,
    Stockdale,
    McCloskey,
    Cave,
    Baloucoune,
    Lowry

Herring,
    Warwick,
    Herbst,
    O'Connor,
    Reidy,
    Shanahan,
    Marshall,
    Kernohan

• Registered Users Posts: 16,835 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Having seen that team; Leinster by 20.

Leinster by 30.

15. Jordan Larmour (33)
    14. Adam Byrne (50)
    13. Garry Ringrose (60)
    12. Rory O’Loughlin (58)
    11. Dave Kearney (132)
    10. Ross Byrne (65)
    9. Luke McGrath (107)
    1. Cian Healy (202)
    2. Seán Cronin (167)
    3. Tadhg Furlong (96)
    4. Scott Fardy (38)
    5. James Ryan (26)
    6. Rhys Ruddock (157) CAPTAIN
    7. Seán O’Brien (122)
    8. Jack Conan (84)

16. James Tracy (87)
    17. Ed Byrne (39)
    18. Andrew Porter (49)
    19. Mick Kearney (49)
    20. Dan Leavy (62)
    21. Jamison Gibson-Park (68)
    22. Noel Reid (118)
    23. Rob Kearney (205)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Ambush alert!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭joseywhales

It's not what I would call a champions cup winning backline from leinster but we should have enough

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Super Rob on the bench????

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

This^

That's a pretty huge:

Enj9XeV.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Sure it's only Ulster.

Sexton, Kearney, Leavy being kept in bubble wrap for the big one against Treviso next week.

H2H

Healy v O'Sullivan: Adv Leinster
    Cronin v Best: Adv Leinster
    Furlong v Moore: Adv Leinster
    Fardy v Henderson: Adv Leinster
    Ryan v Treadwell: Adv Leinster
    Ruddock v Timoney: Adv Leinster
    SoB v Murphy: Adv Leinster
    Conan v Coetzee: Adv Leinster
    McGrath v Cooney: Adv Leinster
    Byrne v Burns: Adv Leinster
    Kearney v Stockdale: Adv Leinster
    RoL v McCloskey: Adv Leinster
    Ringrose v Cave: LOL
    Byrne v Balacoune: Adv Leinster
    Larmour v Lowry: Adv Leinster

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Clegg wrote: »
    H2H

Cronin v Best: Adv Leinster
    Fardy v Henderson: Adv Leinster
    SoB v Murphy: Adv Leinster
    Conan v Coetzee: Adv Leinster
    McGrath v Cooney: Adv Leinster
    Kearney v Stockdale: Adv Leinster
    RoL v McCloskey: Adv Leinster

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭scott1974

No Jack on the bench, pretty much means he's off at the end of the season...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

H2H

Cronin v Best: Adv Ulster
    Fardy v Henderson: Even
    SoB v Murphy: TBA
    Conan v Coetzee: Even
    McGrath v Cooney: Even
    Kearney v Stockdale: Adv Ulster
    RoL v McCloskey: Even

It's closer than you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

I had just been thinking, Ulster LOL, all week.

But looking at that team, Ulster are actually pretty strong across the board.

Still think Leinster have enough to win well, but I won't be as blasé as I thought heading to Lansdowne tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Do any of the other provinces have injuries as a result of the 6Ns or is it just us? That’s terrible luck if that’s the case. Losing Toner is a double blow as our best line out operator and forcing Lowe out of the picture. VDF is arguably our best 7 at the moment given SOBs form and Leavys fitness. Sexton is our best player. Henshaw our best 12. They are pretty big losses as it is. To be the only ones who have any seems mad.

It's not what I would call a champions cup winning backline from leinster but we should have enough

It's the same backline that took to the field against Toulouse at the RDS. It's not a headline grabber but they're went pretty well that day. I think the coaching is to such a high standard that players can just drop in and play well, provided the pack is up to snuff of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭bilston

molloyjh wrote: »
    Do any of the other provinces have injuries as a result of the 6Ns or is it just us? That’s terrible luck if that’s the case. Losing Toner is a double blow as our best line out operator and forcing Lowe out of the picture. VDF is arguably our best 7 at the moment given SOBs form and Leavys fitness. Sexton is our best player. Henshaw our best 12. They are pretty big losses as it is. To be the only ones who have any seems mad.

Well when you have an ex Leinster coach continually picking out of form Leinster players for Ireland then you will pick up more injuries than everyone else

bilston wrote: »
    Well when you have an ex Leinster coach continually picking out of form Leinster players for Ireland then you will pick up more injuries than everyone else

Why? Are the other provinces lads taking them out? :pac:

I've heard from two people now that Kearney's form is on the wane a bit and he isn't hitting markers in training this season despite being fit. I'm not sure he makes the world cup at this stage but it's a tough one as there is a lot of rugby IQ locked up in that headspace of his.

On the flip side he's an 'on field' coach for Leinster and Ireland, meant to be completely unselfish when it comes to giving advice to competitors for the 15 shirt. Complete team player.

Apparently Reid is struggling for fitness also and was a late inclusion, not sure where that leaves Tomane to be honest.

I've heard from two people now that Kearney's form is on the wane a bit and he isn't hitting markers in training this season despite being fit. I'm not sure he makes the world cup at this stage but it's a tough one as there is a lot of rugby IQ locked up in that headspace of his.

On the flip side he's an 'on field' coach for Leinster and Ireland, meant to be completely unselfish when it comes to giving advice to competitors for the 15 shirt. Complete team player.

Apparently Reid is struggling for fitness also and was a late inclusion, not sure where that leaves Tomane to be honest.

Reid is covering 10 as much as anywhere else so his selection has no real bearing on Tomane. It was either Reid or Frawley. Tomane is behind Rob, which is fair enough. I’d also have Ferg and Daly up there ahead of him too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭bilston

molloyjh wrote: »
    Why? Are the other provinces lads taking them out? :pac:

Maybe that's why Jonny keeps getting injured. The other players are taking him out at training for being a gnarly fecker

Both of Leinster's wings are handy in the air. With Ross Byrne playing I can see us targeting Ulster's back three a fair bit.

If we get the advantage up front I really want to see us targeting Cave's outside shoulder. He's still a technically fine centre but he's never been the fastest. A 33 year old BoD was burning him on the outside 7 years ago. Create a bit of space against him and he's in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Who's doing the Mexico Vs North Korea match thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭launish116

Both of Leinster's wings are handy in the air. With Ross Byrne playing I can see us targeting Ulster's back three a fair bit.

If we get the advantage up front I really want to see us targeting Cave's outside shoulder. He's still a technically fine centre but he's never been the fastest. A 33 year old BoD was burning him on the outside 7 years ago. Create a bit of space against him and he's in trouble.

Sadly in agreement with this also around Cave, that's our chink!

Though I think you're under estimating Stockdale and especially Baloucoune!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

launish116 wrote: »
    Sadly in agreement with this also around Cave, that's our chink!

Though I think you're under estimating Stockdale and especially Baloucoune!

Think it’s more Byrne against Lowry that we’d be targeting. Though having said that Stockdale has looked shakey under the high ball sometimes too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I would expect us to target Lowry in the air but certainly not their wingers. Neither are amazing fielders but both are solid as well as being 6'3" and 6'4" respectively.

But we'll need to be tight on our kicking. I wouldn't want to give any one of their back three turnover ball in space. I imagine the approach will be to pull Baloucoune out of position a little and look to put a ball in behind him to field and looking to isolate Lowry in the air.

The Ulster team looks about as good as it can. They'll come with everything they've got for the first 30 minutes. Leinster will need to contain their energy for that period and arm wrestle territory until Ulster crack.

In some ways I'd almost prefer Byrne to be starting at 10 than Sexton. I think defensively he's more robust in terms of surviving what McCloskey is going to bring to the match.

Advertisement