Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post for everyone who QUIT evil fags

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Grandeeod wrote: »
    I posted the above in January last year. I failed a mere 3 days afterwards and went back on the smokes. WTF I was thinking, I don't know. I'm back now to say that I'm 5 weeks off the smokes and on an E-Cig. The urge for a real cig is easing week by week, but I still require will power at certain times. My motivators are health (my morning cough is gone) money and my daughter who I have promised. I feel better emotionally and physically. I'm on the 18ml nicotine juice, but not sure at what point I should start making my way downwards and ultimately quitting the E-Cig.

Honestly, unless you were chain smoking 80 Players a day you shouldn't have those problems getting used to the e-cig. I took me 3 days max. 2 of those were because I was smoking it wrong. Also the ecigs are a lot more powerful these days. Unless you went onto the cheapy pen type things you buy in Spar you shouldn't have any issues. Fire a few questions into the ecig forum they'll be only too happy to help. It's important that you've an ecig and juice that works for you.

Once you are fully used to the ecig give yourself a few weeks before you think about quitting it. You're no longer ingesting nearly all the harmful stuff and you're saving yourself a bomb so take the pressure off yourself a bit. It makes it easier in the long run.

I've documented above what worked for me. It's almost laughable how easy and painless it was, it just takes weeks which is no harm at all. In fairness I had a huge motivator in that I was told I HAD to give it up but all that did was make me think up that plan that worked for me.

Send me a PM if you've any specifics!

Oh and BTW, over a week since I last took a drag from the ecig and I'm grand! :p

It's almost like I never smoked.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,061 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Oh and BTW, over a week since I last took a drag from the ecig and I'm grand! :p

It's almost like I never smoked.

Cheers.

I bought a good E-Cig and I'm happy with it and my juice. The urge to go back to the dark side only appears around other smokers and during stressful moments. I was a 30 a day smoker. I'm planning a trip the the vape forum. As I said, its been 5 weeks. No way do I want to go back on them. The determination is absolute.

Cheers.

I bought a good E-Cig and I'm happy with it and my juice. The urge to go back to the dark side only appears around other smokers and during stressful moments. I was a 30 a day smoker. I'm planning a trip the the vape forum. As I said, its been 5 weeks. No way do I want to go back on them. The determination is absolute.

Yeah, drinking and stressful moments is where I often had a smoke. I didn't beat myself up over it if it was once in a blue moon as I was grand on the ecig. Take your time with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Miss Demeanour

After year long stints of cold turkey then succumbing I vaped. Almost a year now and can safely say Ill never go back.

• Advertisement

7 weeks in folks and I'm still feeling strong. My focus has deepened.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭comerla

I spent 5 years trying to get off cigs. Would be off them for three weeks, then relapsing (usually in a pub).

Then I went on e-cigs for 3 years. Gave them up in November. Have had maybe two cigarettes in the time since.

I'm a non-smoker now.

Good stuff all!! It feels pretty nice when you stop to think that you've managed to get off them, isn't it? :)

Nearly 4 weeks and I'm having zero problems at all! It's like I never smoked :eek: It's mind boggling. I've been to pubs, got hammered(everyone I drink with smokes or vapes), had a damn stressful week this week and it's not bothering me at all.

Maybe I'm just lucky but there has to be something in the long winded ecig nicotine reduction method that I did. It's funny, none of my smoker friends and family are interested in me telling them how easy it is They look at me like I'm the devil or something! :p Only one will actually discuss it and he say's he's not ready yet because work is stressful.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Good stuff all!! It feels pretty nice when you stop to think that you've managed to get off them, isn't it? :)

Nearly 4 weeks and I'm having zero problems at all! It's like I never smoked :eek: It's mind boggling. I've been to pubs, got hammered(everyone I drink with smokes or vapes), had a damn stressful week this week and it's not bothering me at all.

Maybe I'm just lucky but there has to be something in the long winded ecig nicotine reduction method that I did. It's funny, none of my smoker friends and family are interested in me telling them how easy it is They look at me like I'm the devil or something! :p Only one will actually discuss it and he say's he's not ready yet because work is stressful.

The hardest thing about becoming a non- practising smoker is that continuing smokers want you to rejoin their ranks.
    They will keep offering you cigarettes and definitely do not want to hear about giving up, as the fact that you have stopped makes them feel worse.

4ensic15 wrote: »
    The hardest thing about becoming a non- practising smoker is that continuing smokers want you to rejoin their ranks.
    They will keep offering you cigarettes and definitely do not want to hear about giving up, as the fact that you have stopped makes them feel worse.

Fook em!

I'm pff the cigs nearly 6 months now and vaping. I've come from 18 ml to 12 ml and heading for 6 ml juice. I want to beat this crap entirely.

• Advertisement

Fook em!

I'm pff the cigs nearly 6 months now and vaping. I've come from 18 ml to 12 ml and heading for 6 ml juice. I want to beat this crap entirely.

Awesome. How are you getting on with it?

Do it gradual and you wont notice a damn thing, there is no pain to be had. Mg by mg and before you know it you're smoking flavoured vapour thinking how do I get off this now! :p

Awesome. How are you getting on with it?

Do it gradual and you wont notice a damn thing, there is no pain to be had. Mg by mg and before you know it you're smoking flavoured vapour thinking how do I get off this now! :p

I'm completely comfortable now after a real early struggle. Had a row with a person in the pub last night that tried to tell me E-Cigs were worse than actual ciggies. She kept waving away our vapour as if it was fooking cig poison. Her poor hubby is vaping too and she just wants him to go cold turkey. I can see him back on the ciggies soon enough. Mrs G. has been a fantastic support to me every single day. I'm on 12mg still. Working towards the 6mg in January. I'm confident it will happen.

I'm completely comfortable now after a real early struggle. Had a row with a person in the pub last night that tried to tell me E-Cigs were worse than actual ciggies. She kept waving away our vapour as if it was fooking cig poison. Her poor hubby is vaping too and she just wants him to go cold turkey. I can see him back on the ciggies soon enough. Mrs G. has been a fantastic support to me every single day. I'm on 12mg still. Working towards the 6mg in January. I'm confident it will happen.

Deadly, once your comfortable on the ecig you're in a good position. You're away from 99% of the badness of real cigs so whatever happens now your health and pocket will keep improving.

Yeah, the pub is one of the worse places to get the dummy overreactions. I was always discreet as possible to avoid those ridiculous confrontations.

Keep posting and don't put yourself under too much pressure. Get yourself the 6mg and squirt some of it into the 12mg bottle. Bring it down to 10/11 one week, 10/9 the next. Roughly measure it, it doesn't need to be exact. Take your time. It'll be pretty painless that way. I know I'm probably like a parrot with this but I thought I'd never, ever give up and it was piss easy.

Your posts are lights in a tunnel Mike!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,268 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I am going into year 8 off them now.

If you are trying quit today best of luck to you it's not easy but totally worth the fight.

You can do it.

I'm still off them.:D Over 6 months now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Day 6, after 20 a day for 30 years. Cold turkey. Sometimes it seems easy, sometimes it feels like the hardest thing I've ever tried to do.

6 full months since I stopped the nicotine and 5 since the last nicotine-less vape and it's like I never smoked.

I'm probably just lucky as there is no want, temptation or memory of how enjoyable smoking was. I used to say myself and hear my smoking friends say "oh but I enjoy it". I suppose, now that I'm totally free of the addiction, I can see what the "enjoyment" really was. It was the return to normality that I craved all the time and now that I am back to that normality no part of me wants or craves a smoke. Mad! :D

6 full months since I stopped the nicotine and 5 since the last nicotine-less vape and it's like I never smoked.

I'm probably just lucky as there is no want, temptation or memory of how enjoyable smoking was. I used to say myself and hear my smoking friends say "oh but I enjoy it". I suppose, now that I'm totally free of the addiction, I can see what the "enjoyment" really was. It was the return to normality that I craved all the time and now that I am back to that normality no part of me wants or craves a smoke. Mad! :D

Still on 11mg vape juice. Down from 18mg. Nearly 7 months in. Planning a reduction in strength next week. Feeling very confident.

Still on 11mg vape juice. Down from 18mg. Nearly 7 months in. Planning a reduction in strength next week. Feeling very confident.

Deadly. Did you do gradually mg by mg?

I knew I'd get there after the first couple of nic reductions as it was pretty painless. Just took my own sweet time with it!

• Advertisement

Deadly. Did you do gradually mg by mg?

I knew I'd get there after the first couple of nic reductions as it was pretty painless. Just took my own sweet time with it!

Went from 18mg straight to 11mg. Now planning on a further reduction.

Went from 18mg straight to 11mg. Now planning on a further reduction.

Good luck with it. The reductions get easier as the strength comes down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭bilbot79

I quit in 2008. I told myself that if I had to experience Day 1-3 misery everyday for the rest of my life, I'd do it anyway. Never looked back and life has been infinitely better without them.

Hold your nerve folks. Paradise is only around the corner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Flyingsnowball

I read Alan Carr’s easy wAy and quit a few months ago. Honestly barely think of it and I loved the smokes before reading the book. Have convinced 4 or 5 people to read the book and they are all off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Emmadilema

I just posted this question on an older thread but I’ll try again here! I quit smoking a week ago on Sunday. Going well, not having massive cravings at all really and have been nicotine free since (no patches etc) during the first few days come late afternoon I’d become very dizzy, nauseous, twitches and my throat would start to feel like it’s closing up. All the symptoms subsided bar the issue with my throat. It’s more of an irritant than anything else but it happens every day around 3pm. I initially thought it might be anxiety but it’s happening like a clock everyday even when I’m in good form and relaxed. I wake up in the morning and it’s gone again until late afternoon. Has anyone any idea what could be causing this?

Hows everyone getting on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

I read Alan Carr’s easy wAy and quit a few months ago. Honestly barely think of it and I loved the smokes before reading the book. Have convinced 4 or 5 people to read the book and they are all off them.

Alan Carrs Easy Way also, off them over 10 years now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭jmreire

I am a former smoker..30-35 per day, but weekends having a few pints..minimum 40+ per day / night...as per the round system. I made several attempts to quit over the years ( started when I was about 13 years old... "Friend" gave me one occasionally, and it does not take long to become hooked ) but each attempt only lasted a week or so each time...the weekend's in the pub socializing were the killer, would just have "the One", and off we would go again...it was hard to find some one back in those days who did not smoke, there were no bans or restrictions of any kind...perfectly normal to visit a friend in hospital, share a few cigarettes with him /her ( maybe bring them in some cigarette's) all completely normal. But it was getting to the stage that I would wake up at night for a cigarette.....that was the decider. The fags had to go. So I had the "final Fag" on a Sunday night, and started my smoke free existence. To help matters a bit, I bought a bag ( actually I bought several before I was finished ) of really hard sweets....Gobstoppers the kind that takes a long time to finish. So every time I felt the urge for a fag...I had a gobstopper. And so I got through the 1st day, which was not too bad.. the body had gotten used to the occasional nicotine shortage. Days 2 and 3 came and went,,,,and the withdrawal symptoms got worse,,,and the Nrs of Gobstoppers increased. Still, by day 4, while the longing was still there, It was no longer "hitting" me at what would be the normal smoking times...After breakfast, lunch etc. The weekend approached, and that was the main battle...have a pint, but not a cigarette. But I got through it ok. and began week 2. It was still hard, but every now and then, I could feel myself "drying out".....the poison was slowly starting to leave the system, and cracks were starting to appear in the addiction,,,,, now there were times that I did not feel urge to smoke so bad..and I was not chewing as many gobstoppers either by the end of week 2.....from that point onwards, each day was less and less a battle, until the urge to smoke was gone comletely. I have not smoked now for many many years...and sometimes people will say to me "Aren't you great to stay off them all that time?
    They mistakenly think that you will be suffering from nicotine withdrawal all the time once you stop... but the reality is, once the addiction cycle ( the last cigarette you smoke, has planted the need already for the next one) is broken...you are free, same as you were before you ever started smoking...and with all the benefits that has. Since that time, there has been many methods devised to help people stop smoking, and I can see from reading here what other people are trying in their fight against cigarettes. E cigarettes, where you can "dial" down the amount of nicotine gradually,,,and free yourself. But my advice to anyone who wants to quit, is to do it cold turkey, as I did..It's hard 10-14 days, but once you have the first few days over,,,,it will soon pass.and once the craving is gone....it's gone. To anyone thinking about quitting, it's the right choice every way...to anyone in the middle of withdrawal, stick it out. it does not last for ever, and you will be so glad that you
    did. Good Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

jmreire wrote: »
    I am a former smoker..30-35 per day, but weekends having a few pints..minimum 40+ per day / night...as per the round system. I made several attempts to quit over the years ( started when I was about 13 years old... "Friend" gave me one occasionally, and it does not take long to become hooked ) but each attempt only lasted a week or so each time...the weekend's in the pub socializing were the killer, would just have "the One", and off we would go again...it was hard to find some one back in those days who did not smoke, there were no bans or restrictions of any kind...perfectly normal to visit a friend in hospital, share a few cigarettes with him /her ( maybe bring them in some cigarette's) all completely normal. But it was getting to the stage that I would wake up at night for a cigarette.....that was the decider. The fags had to go. So I had the "final Fag" on a Sunday night, and started my smoke free existence. To help matters a bit, I bought a bag ( actually I bought several before I was finished ) of really hard sweets....Gobstoppers the kind that takes a long time to finish. So every time I felt the urge for a fag...I had a gobstopper. And so I got through the 1st day, which was not too bad.. the body had gotten used to the occasional nicotine shortage. Days 2 and 3 came and went,,,,and the withdrawal symptoms got worse,,,and the Nrs of Gobstoppers increased. Still, by day 4, while the longing was still there, It was no longer "hitting" me at what would be the normal smoking times...After breakfast, lunch etc. The weekend approached, and that was the main battle...have a pint, but not a cigarette. But I got through it ok. and began week 2. It was still hard, but every now and then, I could feel myself "drying out".....the poison was slowly starting to leave the system, and cracks were starting to appear in the addiction,,,,, now there were times that I did not feel urge to smoke so bad..and I was not chewing as many gobstoppers either by the end of week 2.....from that point onwards, each day was less and less a battle, until the urge to smoke was gone comletely. I have not smoked now for many many years...and sometimes people will say to me "Aren't you great to stay off them all that time?
    They mistakenly think that you will be suffering from nicotine withdrawal all the time once you stop... but the reality is, once the addiction cycle ( the last cigarette you smoke, has planted the need already for the next one) is broken...you are free, same as you were before you ever started smoking...and with all the benefits that has. Since that time, there has been many methods devised to help people stop smoking, and I can see from reading here what other people are trying in their fight against cigarettes. E cigarettes, where you can "dial" down the amount of nicotine gradually,,,and free yourself. But my advice to anyone who wants to quit, is to do it cold turkey, as I did..It's hard 10-14 days, but once you have the first few days over,,,,it will soon pass.and once the craving is gone....it's gone. To anyone thinking about quitting, it's the right choice every way...to anyone in the middle of withdrawal, stick it out. it does not last for ever, and you will be so glad that you
    did. Good Luck.

Congrats.
    I'm just wondering did you are anyone here quit when someone your living with a smoker? I have gotten off them a few times for maybe a month or two, but it feels like they're constantly around waiting for a weak moment. I suppose it's a similar battle no matter what the circumstances but it just feels harder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭jmreire

Congrats.
    I'm just wondering did you are anyone here quit when someone your living with a smoker? I have gotten off them a few times for maybe a month or two, but it feels like they're constantly around waiting for a weak moment. I suppose it's a similar battle no matter what the circumstances but it just feels harder.

When I quit Jimmy,,,a non-smoker was a rare bird, nearly every house and business had it's smokers...as I mentioned in my post, even in hospitals every one smoked...patient's, nurse's and doctors. So I can understand where you are coming from..people would take out the package and automatically offer you one. So yes, it's more difficult to give them up when you are in constant contact with other smokers. But it can be done....and best way is the"cold turkey " method. in my opinion.You managed to kick the habit in the past, for a month or two..so the nicotine was well and truly out of the system at that stage.. basically, once you pass the 8-10 day period, you will have broken the back of it, and every day after that....the urge to smoke dwindles..until it's forgotten. I can understand where you are coming from though..the old memories are still there....the whole process, opening the package, selecting a cigarette, putting in in your mouth, lighting it and deeply drawing in the first lung-full of tobacco smoke....and satisfying the craving. But for me nowadays, if I am in a house and some one light's up, I leave the room. Main thing to remember, as in your case, is the battle you ( and everyone else ) has had to quit. But like I have already said....stick it out....it's well worth it from every angle.

Advertisement