Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Price for painting hall/stairs/landing

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

looksee wrote: »
    or the kids have to be picked up from school (honestly)

I had this nonsense lately with a plasterer, day rate @180 self employed and he left the first day around 4, second day the same thing so I asked him about it on the 3rd morning, he told me he had to collect his kid from school. I asked him would it be happening regularly and he said every day. I told him that wouldn't work for me and if he wanted to start an hour earlier I had no problem with that, that wasn't going to work for him so I let him go and docked him 20 a day for the time he owed me, I wouldn't mind but his kid is 18 in leaving cert and. lives about 15 mins walk from the school

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

dok_golf wrote: »
    He'll need it to sign on ( imo)

Don’t be daft, signing on doesn’t take much time out of your week. He’d still have plenty of time to fit in his work around that :pac:

What if he's just starting out and getting his foot in the door? Maybe this time next year he'll be self employed and tax compliant?
    I'd say most painters did that.

No one just gets up one morning and starts a painting business without a lot of experience and a bit of time on their own jobs. The chap could be doing stuff on the cheap to build a customer base.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

What if he's just starting out and getting his foot in the door? Maybe this time next year he'll be self employed and tax compliant?
    I'd say most painters did that.

No one just gets up one morning and starts a painting business without a lot of experience and a bit of time on their own jobs. The chap could be doing stuff on the cheap to build a customer base.

damb you and your well thought out logic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

Doesn't work like that if you are serious about your business. You gain experience by working for someone else. It's a basic error to start a business and go in low. I know, I did it myself. All that happens is that you are swamped with work cos you are cheap and that is what you become known for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

How did yours work out Op?

I’ve got a quote of 700 to do my upstairs. 3 bedrooms (one is a tiny box room)plus ceilings and skirtings. Plus ceilings in two small bathrooms. Plus 6 door frames. There is a bit of filling required one he walks. I will supply the paint. Is this reasonable?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

How did the job turn out? Any hassles?
    Assuming the price didn't get increased asking the way and the house destroyed would you mind pm'ing details OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 heddie77

we did this got skimmed and like new walls so much easier to paint ourselves then

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Advertisement