Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Price for painting hall/stairs/landing

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

This threads gas.

My guess is that he does a quick job, little bit rough around the edges, and it’s cash and no receipt. It’s not your gaff, and it’ll still look better than it did beforehand, so everyone’s a winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

This threads gas.

My guess is that he does a quick job, little bit rough around the edges, and it’s cash and no receipt. It’s not your gaff, and it’ll still look better than it did beforehand, so everyone’s a winner.

Bingo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Bingo!

You’re still worse than Hitler for getting him in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,782 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Heavens, where are all these skilled, experienced local professionals who clean up after themselves (rofl), who turn up when they say they will and don't beggar off in the middle of the job to keep someone else onside. Or they have a bad back, or the kids have to be picked up from school (honestly) and so on and so forth. And will in fact give you a quote in the first place... Mind you I have noticed the Polish lads have picked up some bad habits ten years on.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭alan1963

sounds like the fella is being a fool to himself, why does he value his time so cheaply?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭oceanman

alan1963 wrote: »
    sounds like the fella is being a fool to himself, why does he value his time so cheaply?
    maybe he has plenty of time..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Thanks a mil for your advice and fair play for doing it all yourself! This would be the ideal for us. If quotes are too high we’ll just have to take a few days off work and get it all done. How long did it take you? Did you have to do any prep work on the walls?

Late with my reply, apologies.
    Not much prep, the usual masking and a quick wipe down.
    I was painting a pale colour over a pale colour so 2 coats sufficed.
    I used colortrend which I love as it covers so well and is a dream to work with.
    The walls were in fairly good condition and 2 of the smaller walls had new plasterboard. A few hours per day, over 2 days as I did 2 coats, plus I work fulltime.

I see you've got someone booked, hope all goes well for you. It's different when it's your own house versus a rented one, no point in spending ridiculous money when you're not planning on staying forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

looksee wrote: »
    Heavens, where are all these skilled, experienced local professionals who clean up after themselves (rofl), who turn up when they say they will and don't beggar off in the middle of the job to keep someone else onside. Or they have a bad back, or the kids have to be picked up from school (honestly) and so on and so forth. And will in fact give you a quote in the first place... Mind you I have noticed the Polish lads have picked up some bad habits ten years on.

If you want me to quote while doing all the rofl tasks above ( which I do as standard ) drop me a pm. I might restore your faith in good trades people

oceanman wrote: »
    He'll need it to sign on ( imo)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭alan1963

oceanman wrote: »

Nobody has plenty of time, we are all in death row.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

looksee wrote: »
    or the kids have to be picked up from school (honestly)

I had this nonsense lately with a plasterer, day rate @180 self employed and he left the first day around 4, second day the same thing so I asked him about it on the 3rd morning, he told me he had to collect his kid from school. I asked him would it be happening regularly and he said every day. I told him that wouldn't work for me and if he wanted to start an hour earlier I had no problem with that, that wasn't going to work for him so I let him go and docked him 20 a day for the time he owed me, I wouldn't mind but his kid is 18 in leaving cert and. lives about 15 mins walk from the school

dok_golf wrote: »
    He'll need it to sign on ( imo)

Don’t be daft, signing on doesn’t take much time out of your week. He’d still have plenty of time to fit in his work around that :pac:

What if he's just starting out and getting his foot in the door? Maybe this time next year he'll be self employed and tax compliant?
    I'd say most painters did that.

No one just gets up one morning and starts a painting business without a lot of experience and a bit of time on their own jobs. The chap could be doing stuff on the cheap to build a customer base.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

What if he's just starting out and getting his foot in the door? Maybe this time next year he'll be self employed and tax compliant?
    I'd say most painters did that.

No one just gets up one morning and starts a painting business without a lot of experience and a bit of time on their own jobs. The chap could be doing stuff on the cheap to build a customer base.

damb you and your well thought out logic

Doesn't work like that if you are serious about your business. You gain experience by working for someone else. It's a basic error to start a business and go in low. I know, I did it myself. All that happens is that you are swamped with work cos you are cheap and that is what you become known for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,020 ✭✭✭✭anewme

How did yours work out Op?

I’ve got a quote of 700 to do my upstairs. 3 bedrooms (one is a tiny box room)plus ceilings and skirtings. Plus ceilings in two small bathrooms. Plus 6 door frames. There is a bit of filling required one he walks. I will supply the paint. Is this reasonable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

How did the job turn out? Any hassles?
    Assuming the price didn't get increased asking the way and the house destroyed would you mind pm'ing details OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 heddie77

we did this got skimmed and like new walls so much easier to paint ourselves then

Advertisement