Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Price for painting hall/stairs/landing

Options
  • 12-02-2019 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking for an idea of price ranges for getting my hall, stairs, and landing painted, including ceilings and skirting boards (but not bannister). It's a small area (an old Corporation house in Dublin 12). We've stripped wallpaper already but the wall surface is uneven so would need a good thick base I assume before painting. I've been in touch with a couple of decorators for quote but no one has come back to me yet. We were hoping to do it ourselves but it's such an awkward space that we think it might be best to get a professional in.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I did mine myself.
    Budget was very tight anyway.
    But nobody I asked, got back to me with quotes, so I did it.

In fairness, the ceiling is easy anyway. Always do this first.
    I'd had to replace the skirting boards after the installation of internal insulation, plus I wanted higher than average boards anyway. Flew through the priming and painting of these.

Then I did the necessary masking, and carefully painted the wall edges, yes, this is slow and tedious.
    Next I used a roller on the large walls. Now this is a quick job in comparison.
    The landing was tricky, I won't lie.
    I decided to give it one shot.
    I had a ladder, balanced between it and the banister, while holding onto hot press door for support.
    And this is how I did the edging of the wall over the stairs.
    This is only a small job, although I took my time-the rest was done with the roller.

I feel so proud as I decorated the entire house by myself and saved a fortune.

If there's two of you, it'd be easier to do the above.
    Obviously, don't even think of attempting it if it's not safe.
    (You can hire appropriate ladders to make it easier, I remember thinking about doing this.)

I'm in a 3 bed council built house in Drogheda. Paid, if I recall correctly, €180 for it.

Two lads came in, did three coats and were out in the same day. They were good, but they weren't as tidy as I'd have liked (some lines weren't the neatest, etc.) so I had to spend a little time after they went, touching up (in fairness, it took me less than 10 minutes).

But yeah, that's the general price I got.

• Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

Two Johnny cash’s.

Possibly, but I am not so sure. I think one was a painter and the other was a friend or relative that was tagging along. I get the impression one was experienced and the other was getting a couple of euro into the hand to get him out of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

I'm looking for an idea of price ranges for getting my hall, stairs, and landing painted, including ceilings and skirting boards (but not bannister). It's a small area (an old Corporation house in Dublin 12). We've stripped wallpaper already but the wall surface is uneven so would need a good thick base I assume before painting. I've been in touch with a couple of decorators for quote but no one has come back to me yet. We were hoping to do it ourselves but it's such an awkward space that we think it might be best to get a professional in.

Anywhere from 5/600+ depending on prep work needed. If walls are as bad as you say, do they need skimmed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

440 minimum. Thats a 2 day job. More if in bad repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Anywhere from 5/600+ depending on prep work needed. If walls are as bad as you say, do they need skimmed?

I would imagine they do, yes. Really trying to keep costs down :( I wonder would it be worth just getting someone to skim them and then we could paint them ourselves!

I did mine myself.
    Budget was very tight anyway.
    But nobody I asked, got back to me with quotes, so I did it.

In fairness, the ceiling is easy anyway. Always do this first.
    I'd had to replace the skirting boards after the installation of internal insulation, plus I wanted higher than average boards anyway. Flew through the priming and painting of these.

Then I did the necessary masking, and carefully painted the wall edges, yes, this is slow and tedious.
    Next I used a roller on the large walls. Now this is a quick job in comparison.
    The landing was tricky, I won't lie.
    I decided to give it one shot.
    I had a ladder, balanced between it and the banister, while holding onto hot press door for support.
    And this is how I did the edging of the wall over the stairs.
    This is only a small job, although I took my time-the rest was done with the roller.

I feel so proud as I decorated the entire house by myself and saved a fortune.

If there's two of you, it'd be easier to do the above.
    Obviously, don't even think of attempting it if it's not safe.
    (You can hire appropriate ladders to make it easier, I remember thinking about doing this.)

Thanks a mil for your advice and fair play for doing it all yourself! This would be the ideal for us. If quotes are too high we’ll just have to take a few days off work and get it all done. How long did it take you? Did you have to do any prep work on the walls?

PM sent

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Southdubin6

Thanks a mil for your advice and fair play for doing it all yourself! This would be the ideal for us. If quotes are too high we’ll just have to take a few days off work and get it all done. How long did it take you? Did you have to do any prep work on the walls?

400. I’m from Stannaway and if on the same size as small houses here. A quick and thin skim before touched up with paint 2 day job.

• Advertisement

dok_golf wrote: »
    PM sent

Never got a PM!

Had a guy come and give me a quote today. He’s gonna sand the walls and put in a bit of filler where needed. Then painting walls, skirting Boards, ceiling, radiator. All for €140 over 2 days. Not sure if too good to be true but sure we’ve booked him for the end of the month! I’ll report back lol

Never got a PM!

Had a guy come and give me a quote today. He’s gonna sand the walls and put in a bit of filler where needed. Then painting walls, skirting Boards, ceiling, radiator. All for €140 over 2 days. Not sure if too good to be true but sure we’ve booked him for the end of the month! I’ll report back lol

Hahahah what 140 mate seriously think this through.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 tiny1975

Hahahah what 140 mate seriously think this through.

€70 a day, the phrase ‘pay peanuts and get monkeys’ springs to mind!

tiny1975 wrote: »
    €70 a day, the phrase ‘pay peanuts and get monkeys’ springs to mind!

Hope he has insurance hahah

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

What genuine company could get away with charging those prices......

It would need to be at least €200 a day to be coming out with any type of wage after tax, vat, insurance, prsi, accountant etc etc.

What genuine company could get away with charging those prices......

It would need to be at least €200 a day to be coming out with any type of wage after tax, vat, insurance, prsi, accountant etc etc.

100% 200 a day is the bare minimum where you know your house won’t be destroyed

100% 200 a day is the bare minimum where you know your house won’t be destroyed

I understand it can sound expensive but it isn't that bad at that considering cost of running a business and cost of living.

I was out last week we were celebrating getting our house and we blew around€300 in town.

I don't have it but we wanted to enjoy our night but honestly couldn't believe the price of drink.

I understand it can sound expensive but it isn't that bad at that considering cost of running a business and cost of living.

I was out last week we were celebrating getting our house and we blew around€300 in town.

I don't have it but we wanted to enjoy our night but honestly couldn't believe the price of drink.

Yeah for sure mate. When me and herself go out a pint in town is 6.50in any club and her spirit and mixer your looking 14 quid a round with the odd four thrown in and possibly a dinner 300-400 quid spent on nothing.

400 for a house to be fixed up with a kick of paint and filler to sort your habitat out is buttons

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Never got a PM!

I'd go 50/50 he shows up... He will not be there Tuesday before he signs on that's for sure :)

Hope it works out for you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭oceanman

Yeah for sure mate. When me and herself go out a pint in town is 6.50in any club and her spirit and mixer your looking 14 quid a round with the odd four thrown in and possibly a dinner 300-400 quid spent on nothing.

400 for a house to be fixed up with a kick of paint and filler to sort your habitat out is buttons
    hence why so many people drink at home these days...

• Advertisement

:D Sure look if he turns up he turns up!

It’s not like we’ve paid him up front! If he does an ok job for €140 with some bits we need to tidy up ourselves I’ll consider it money well spent as all the graft work will be done. We don’t own the house, we’re saving to buy a house, all we want is a touch-up job to make the place look better. He was giving us good advice on humidity in the house and about the colours that we wanted. I saw his work diary when he was scheduling us in. As I said he seems legit. If he doesn’t turn up we haven’t lost anything. I’m happy to take the risk :)

Never got a PM!

I'd say your inbox is still full judging by the other comments there lol!

You're also supporting the black economy while the rest of us are trying to scrape a living.

:D Sure look if he turns up he turns up!

It’s not like we’ve paid him up front! If he does an ok job for €140 with some bits we need to tidy up ourselves I’ll consider it money well spent as all the graft work will be done. We don’t own the house, we’re saving to buy a house, all we want is a touch-up job to make the place look better. He was giving us good advice on humidity in the house and about the colours that we wanted. I saw his work diary when he was scheduling us in. As I said he seems legit. If he doesn’t turn up we haven’t lost anything. I’m happy to take the risk :)

That'd be my attitude, too.

I'm not sure where comments about the house being 'destroyed' come into it, from other posters. It's hiring a painter on the cheap, not building an extension with a known conman. Worst that can happen is he spills paint, which could happen any painter, no matter their price point.

(although I do feel for the legit painters, paying tax, etc. but as a photographer I'm in the same area where most of the work locally is given to people on the dole anyway, or 'friends with cameras'. You learn to live with it.)

I wouldn't get out of bed for €140

That'd be my attitude, too.

I'm not sure where comments about the house being 'destroyed' come into it, from other posters. It's hiring a painter on the cheap, not building an extension with a known conman. Worst that can happen is he spills paint, which could happen any painter, no matter their price point.

(although I do feel for the legit painters, paying tax, etc. but as a photographer I'm in the same area where most of the work locally is given to people on the dole anyway, or 'friends with cameras'. You learn to live with it.)
    It's not hiring a painter on the cheap. With respect, that is the attitude of someone who thinks if you can piss you can paint. What is happening here is he is paying someone to put paint on a wall. Sure whats the worst that can happen?

I'd say your inbox is still full judging by the other comments there lol!

Nope it’s not.
    You're also supporting the black economy while the rest of us are trying to scrape a living.

I got in touch with a painter I saw advertising online, I met him and was happy to hire him at such a good price. I agree that it’s very cheap and I was very surprised but I’m obviously delighted to be able to get something done so inexpensively. I’d set a budget of €500 for getting the work done so if we’re happy with what he does we’ll probably get him to paint the other rooms that we were going to do ourselves.

It’s not my fault you’re scraping a living.

Make sure you get an invoice off him so that you will have some comeback if/when things go to ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭oceanman

Make sure you get an invoice off him so that you will have some comeback if/when things go to ****e.
    he is filling and painting a wall...not building a house!

• Advertisement

You an expert then?

Advertisement