Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass shooting New Zealand Mosque - MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

DS86DS wrote: »
    Brendan Tarrant, self-described Communist with a hatred for Christianity and Conservatives.

https://www.theamericanconservative.com/dreher/radicalization-degeneration-brenton-tarrant-white-supremacist/

Think he hates muslims abit more. You do know he went into a mosque and shot and killed 59 adult and children...don't you?.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

While I don't argue with you on the book banning, I have a couple of corrections there:
    1) Britain and France declared war on Germany on September 3 1939, while Hitler, both in public and in private, always maintained he wanted an end to pointless wars with both countries, and
    2) I suggest you do some real research in to the 'gassing of millions' thing, but I feel obliged to warn you that a critical inquiry into this topic will make you a holocaust denier.

1. Ya because Gemany was not the aggressor. They were innocent were they:rolleyes:

2. Are you saying millions were not killed

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

Everyone. Get back on topic.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Think he hates muslims abit more. You do know he went into a mosque and shot and killed 59 adult and children...don't you?.

The shooting was more motivated by ethnicism / nationalism. If he shot up a church, he would have had a much higher incidence of killing non-immigrants and people of the same cultural background as he wished to retain for Aus/NZ. By shooting up a mosque, he was almost certainly going to be predominantly killing people who were immigrants and people from a different cultural background.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

There were also numerous references on the suspected shooter’s weapons to medieval battles and figures, including four names of medieval Serbs who fought against the Muslim Ottomans, two Hungarian military leaders who fought the Ottomans, and numerous references to the Crusades, when Christian armies from Europe tried to seize the Holy Land from Muslims during the 11th, 12th and 13th centuries.
    I'm sure this is just a coincidence though and the attack had nothing to do with the faith of the victims icon14.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I'm a New Zealander and I like guns. They're fun. I enjoy shooting them. I owned a few when I lived in NZ. I do agree that there should be restrictions on them. Much like cars. You should need a license and they should be registered. I have no issue with background checks and with the police having a database to keep track of them.

The restrictions the NZ government are bringing in are a knee jerk reaction and they want to be seen to be doing something in order to appease a shocked public. NZ doesn't have a gun culture so there isn't a need for banning types of weapons. There is a need to track them and to know who has them and to ensure nutjobs like Tarant don't have access to them.

I'm not a fan of PM Ardern. And I don't like her government. However I have to say she has generally handled this situation very well and has done a great job in helping the nation to grieve and heal. And I applaud her for that. I just hope she isn't able to ride this wave of populism into a 2nd term next year.

The talk of changing the name of the local rugby team from the Crusaders to ???? is an interesting one. It would be good PR and a nice gesture to the community but in fairness a lot of the people calling for a name change at the moment, wouldn't be big rugby fans in the first place. I don't have an issue with the team being named the Crusaders or the Vikings or the Pirates as that is all ancient history. HoweverI think they will change it next season.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

The shooting was more motivated by ethnicism / nationalism. If he shot up a church, he would have had a much higher incidence of killing non-immigrants and people of the same cultural background as he wished to retain for Aus/NZ. By shooting up a mosque, he was almost certainly going to be predominantly killing people who were immigrants and people from a different cultural background.

Ummm... most of the population of NZ are from an immigrant background...
    Even the Maori got there by boat originally. But their population got 'replaced'. Seems to me he was targeting one particular group of people and their religion was the key.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Ummm... most of the population of NZ are from an immigrant background...
    Even the Maori got there by boat originally.
    Indeed, the Maori only got there a couple of centuries before the Europeans did. It was one of the last large land masses to be colonised by humans.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,145 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ah come on you are really stretching it now.
    If he just hated immigrants he could have found a fair few South Sea Islanders in NZ or take a trip to the North Island and Auckland would have allowed him kill a fair few Asians that are living there.

The guy had a thing about muslims as he had supposedly visited Balkans for Ottoman battle field sites and was posting stuff about Balkan nationalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    NZ doesn't have a gun culture so there isn't a need for banning types of weapons.

That's not really true is it?

I mean you don't make it into the top 20 of gun ownership in the world without having some bit of a gun culture.

Japan don't have a gun culture because they don't really have any guns. New Zealand have a lot of guns, including ones that can kill 50 people in a relative short amount of time.

Sensible gun laws are needed. Everywhere, you just shouldn't wait until a lot of people are massacred.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Boggles wrote: »
    That's not really true is it?

I mean you don't make it into the top 20 of gun ownership in the world without having some bit of a gun culture.

Japan don't have a gun culture because they don't really have any guns.

He's from New Zealand.

Almost every house in my neighbourhood - a very rural isolated spot - has a shot gun or two. Well except me, dagnabbit! It was the same where I grew up in the rural midlands. Lots of guns. And yet...I seriously never would have said Ireland has a ''gun culture''. I think it is just a rural tool and accessory.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Arden wearing a shayla , speaking about "how we are one" as she looks out on a sea of men and women segregated. Says it all really.

Zorya wrote: »
    He's from New Zealand.

Yeah, I know.
    Zorya wrote: »
    I seriously never would have said Ireland has a ''gun culture''. I think it is just a rural tool and accessory.

Well it does have a certain gun culture, but nowhere near the level of New Zealand.

New Zealand has a slightly smaller population with 4 times more gun ownership.

That is a culture, they are not all farmers.

Ireland has 3 times more farms.

By shooting up a mosque

He was guaranteed to kill 100% Muslims.

But he didn't target a particular faith, it was just a coincidence. :rolleyes:

The clowns calling for the rugby team to change its name may want to read up on the Crusades.

William of Tyre's eye witness account
    …Regardless of age and condition, they laid low, without distinction, every enemy encountered. Everywhere was frightful carnage, everywhere lay heaps of severed heads, so that soon it was impossible to pass or to go from one place to another except over the bodies of the slain. Already the leaders had forced their way by various routes almost to the center of the city and wrought unspeakable slaughter as they advanced. A host of people followed in their train, athirst for the blood of the enemy and wholly intent upon destruction. . . . So frightful was the massacre throughout the city, so terrible the shedding of blood, that even the victors experienced sensations of horror and loathing.

…A crowd of knights and foot soldiers... massacred all those who had taken refuge [in the court of the Temple]. No mercy was shown to anyone, and the whole place was flooded with the blood of the victims.

It was indeed the righteous judgment of God which ordained that those who had profaned the sanctuary of the Lord by their superstitious rites and had caused it to be an alien place to His faithful people should expiate their sin by death and, by pouring out their own blood, purify the sacred precincts.

It was impossible to look upon the vast numbers of the slain without horror; everywhere lay fragments of human bodies, and the very ground was covered with the blood of the slain. It was not alone the spectacle of headless bodies and mutilated limbs strewn in all directions that roused horror in all who looked upon them. Still more dreadful was it to gaze upon the victors themselves, dripping with blood from head to foot, an ominous sight which brought terror to all who met them. It is reported that within the Temple enclosure alone about ten thousand infidels perished, in addition to those who lay slain everywhere throughout the city in the streets and squares, the number of whom was estimated as no less.
    http://www.historymuse.net/readings/WilliamofTyreCAPTUREOFJERUSALEM.htm

A massacre of Muslims in a Mosque. Wholesale slaughter.

Maybe clowns might want to read up on what the Crusaders themselves said before calling other people clowns.

Ancient history. Jews got slaughtered too. And what do you think happened to the Christians after the fall of the Crusades states?

I know exactly what happened during the Crusades thanks. All of them. Including the slaughter of Cathars in France. And the Sack of Constantinople. By Crusaders.

You are the one who suggested people read up on them as if there couldn't be any possible reason why some may feel a name change for the Crusaders may be appropriate.

I gave you an eye witness account as to why it could be considered appropriate.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

Ancient history. Jews got slaughtered too. And what do you think happened to the Christians after the fall of the Crusades states?

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

If theres anyone who fvcked christians harder in the crusades it’d be the christians themselves

Plenty of Christian women getting ****ed when they were taken into sex slavery alright.

Can say the same about the Muslims too with their Sunni and Shia ****.

Ok buddy calm down. 50 people are dead because of a 4chan troll. No idea why you’re even mentioning the crusades.

If you really wanna cry about a christian tragedy, read how the eastern roman empire got fvcked by crusaders every step of the way. Christianity screwed itself

Easy there kid, I'm merely pointing out this was complicated ****, with both sides doing bad, hence why it's retarded to guilt trip a rugby team over their name.

If you want to talk about Islamic tradegy read about how the Muslims got wrecked in the first crusade because they couldn't unite against the Christians.

Like i care. Remind me again, how many crusader states still exist?

0. It's ok, history is not your strong point :)

Zing! Another victory for white catholics!

Hehe just a few more friday nights alone on boards and you’ll eventually defeat the globalist scum!

Keep at it lad. Anyway im off to a gaff party (;

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

0. It's ok, history is not your strong point :)

Eh you attempted to lecture a historian. The crusades are a particularly warped time in history. Think it's pretty reasonable to reconsider naming teams after groups who perpetrated large scale massacres. Doubt we'd be happy if a British team were called The Black And Tans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭1641

It's ****ing retarded. It's just a team name. Changing it won't bring anyone back, won't stop another attack.

Let's make Saracens change their name after the next Islamic terror attack.

I'm not big into the name changing thing - but I am surprised you are suggesting this. No doubt, as a history buff, you do know that "saracen" was a term used by christians to refer to either muslims or arabs - generally in a derogatory way, if not always so? It is not a muslim/arab term.

I would imagine that changing the name of the club would be, if anything, a mark of sensitivity towards muslims. But that doesn't seem to be the way you meant it? Or maybe it is your sensitive side slipping through the mask?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

These threads always seem to attract the gun nuts telling us just how wrong we are for wanting stricter gun controls in any given country. They gloss over the simple facts trying to dazzle with useless facts pertaining to firearms.

More guns = more dead people (it's not fcuking rocket science).

More cars on the road = more RTA's

More people smoking = more smoking related deaths

More junkies = more drug related deaths

More military grade weapons = a greater chance to kill more people over a shorter period of time.

I often wonder are people just plain stupid or trolling when denying these simple irrefutable thruths.

NZ will curb sales of military grade weapons and introduce legislation to reduce the risks the chances of this happening again.

I for one am happy I live in a country where the average sociopath does not have access to military grade weapons.

NZ will curb sales of military grade weapons and introduce legislation to reduce the risks the chances of this happening again.

Someone is going to be in shortly to "educate you".

"By simply turning a screw on this legal weapon and adding some duct tape, you have essentially a rocket launcher - Fools and there strict gun policies"

The fact remains there is absolutely no sensible argument against stringent gun control laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

Turtwig wrote: »
    Pardon my ignorance, has there been any terrorist attacks in New Zealand by those who subscribe to a version of Islam? I ask because I can't recall any. How do you radicalise someone to the point of them murdering people of a different identity when that identity hasn't even committed any violence in the radicals' homeland? Extreme level of brainwashing.

In many ways I find this event more disturbing than other mass killings.

I've never heard of any terrorist attacks in New Zealand before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

These threads always seem to attract the gun nuts telling us just how wrong we are for wanting stricter gun controls in any given country. They gloss over the simple facts trying to dazzle with useless facts pertaining to firearms.

More guns = more dead people (it's not fcuking rocket science).

More cars on the road = more RTA's

More people smoking = more smoking related deaths

More junkies = more drug related deaths

More military grade weapons = a greater chance to kill more people over a shorter period of time.

I often wonder are people just plain stupid or trolling when denying these simple irrefutable thruths.

I for one am happy I live in a country where the average sociopath does not have access to military grade weapons.

I'm sure the isolated farmers who have been robbed, beaten and even killed by marauding gangs of scumbags wouldn't have minded a cabinet of automatic weapons to defend themselves.

because trusting the state to protect you is a mugs game and anybody who says otherwise is a g0bsh1te.

CJhaughey wrote: »

Seriously that the best you can do, three stories relating to organised criminals acquiring firearms.

I'll try simplify as best I can. Im happy to live in a country where the average sociopath cannot walk into a store and buy an arsenal within the confines of the law.

paw patrol wrote: »

I'm sure the isolated farmers who have been robbed, beaten and even killed by marauding gangs of scumbags wouldn't have minded a cabinet of automatic weapons to defend themselves.

because trusting the state to protect you is a mugs game and anybody who says otherwise is a g0bsh1te.[/QUOTE]

What's your point?!?!? Arm all the farmers with military grade assault rifles?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

because trusting the state to protect you is a mugs game and anybody who says otherwise is a g0bsh1te.

What's your point?!?!? Arm all the farmers with military grade assault rifles?![/QUOTE]

no, allow those that want too buy automatic weapons to apply for a licence , do a course, pay the fee and buy whatever is necessary like a cabinet... and walk home armed to the teeth.

Advertisement