Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

In my mid 40s... Mid life crisis time?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Feel free to gloat at how so much younger you are compared to me:pac:...

I wish.

I'm actually the same age - but fúck yea, where have the last 20 years gone. I can't speak for you but I've done nothing, I may as well have just awakened this morning from a 2 decade coma!
    Woke Hogan wrote: »
    Then the other lads who got into unhappy marriages in their early twenties would end up separating and trying to relive their youths, trying to get the ride in bingo halls and discos. I know who I would rather be.

Bingo halls??

Jaysus, how desperate would you need to be to go chasing your hole in a bingo hall:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,503 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Bingo halls??

Jaysus, how desperate would you need to be to go chasing your hole in a bingo hall:D:D:D
    You would need a lot of balls anyway.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Welllll...now we’ve gone waaay off topic.:mad:

What about mid-life crises and turning 44 on Monday just gone?

Anyone care to share their experiences?

Anyone?:(

Anyone?:o

I’d suggest you stop being so self-indulgent, realise you’re still relatively young, and live in a pretty decent country that affords you plenty of opportunity. Perhaps do some reading into stoicism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

JohnnyFlash is a wind-up calm down, he has just been watching too much of The Sweeney on Uk Gold that's all.

Life got better as I got older so never really has a mid-life crisis as such, certainly having more sex in my fifties that I even had in my twenties and life is just better and more fun in general :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

If your in your 40’s and haven’t noticed a midlife crisis yet then mathematically your fcuked, because the chances are you had it in your 20’s and you will now be dead by 50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I know what you mean OP, I am only 2 years behind you, celebrated my second 21st. Time just seems to disappear, the first quarter of this year is already nearly over, feels like I was celebrating new years only last weekend.

I've noticed the first gray hairs starting to appear, recovery time from a good session is much longer, struggle to keep up the younger lads when playing football, I've started moaning about younger peoples taste in music and fashion, and I have much less time for doing my own stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭valoren

I went bald at 19. I've got no time for a mid-life crisis. That tank has been empty for a long time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I do remember turning 26 and momentarily thinking I'll never be 25 again, but beyond that never had one. Though time goes by slowly for me for some reason. Never got the sped up where have the years gone thing. Twenty years ago, even ten feels like another lifetime ago.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

More Pintman and JohhnyFlash please!!!

Pintman, any good exploits lately in the boudoirs of ladies of the night ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

JohnnyFlash for Taoiseach...
    Pintman for Tanaiste...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

More Pintman and JohhnyFlash please!!!

Pintman, any good exploits lately in the boudoirs of ladies of the night ?

They are not subtle enough it needs to be done with a light hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

i want a night out with JohnnyFlash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

jobless wrote: »

Leather jacket, slacks, and slip-on brogues - get them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Probably find him in cooper face jacks every weekend
    jobless wrote: »

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

Well your posts in this thread would suggest you are either a bull****ter, a misogynist or a person who may not hate women but certainly does not respect them. In fact I would go so far as to say that you are the type of poster who gets men a bad name.

You probably say that about all men.

Met a fair few women like you in my time..usually have been dumped for a younger model and become feminists or lesbians.

"Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Wibbs wrote: »
    I do remember turning 26 and momentarily thinking I'll never be 25 again, but beyond that never had one. Though time goes by slowly for me for some reason. Never got the sped up where have the years gone thing. Twenty years ago, even ten feels like another lifetime ago.

Turning 26 was an interesting one for me too – I remember thinking that I was closer to 30 than 20, so it seemed like some sort of aging landmark which I'd now reached. Turned 40 a few weeks ago and thought nothing of it. The mind can be a strange beast!

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Turning 26 was an interesting one for me too – I remember thinking that I was closer to 30 than 20, so it seemed like some sort of aging landmark which I'd now reached. Turned 40 a few weeks ago and thought nothing of it. The mind can be a strange beast!

I have a theory that when you're 10 years old,each year represents a tenth of your life so far..a lot of experiences and learning in a short time.

When you're 20 you've doubled your life experience and knowledge but each year is now 1 twentieth of your life so far.

By the time we hit 40 its the a bit more knowledge but we're not learning and growing at the same rate anymore and each year represents a mere 1 fortieth of your life so far so the years no longer have the same importance as they once had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭Archeron

I have a theory that when you're 10 years old,each year represents a tenth of your life so far..a lot of experiences and learning in a short time.

When you're 20 you've doubled your life experience and knowledge but each year is now 1 twentieth of your life so far.

By the time we hit 40 its the a bit more knowledge but we're not learning and growing at the same rate anymore and each year represents a mere 1 fortieth of your life so far so the years no longer have the same importance as they once had.

I've heard that too. One of the reasons people think summers were always better when they were young, a good summer represented a large percentage of their life till then, and we are naturally inclined to remember good times more than bad. Hence why a single good summer as a kid could have been 10% of your life till then. Could be balls, but I did see that somewhere. Possibly QI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,023 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Also, the more mass you gain would have more of an affect on the space time around us. This would cause you to experience time at an accelerated rate.

The only thing know to combat this is pure boredom. If you surround yourself with enough of this it acts as a sort of break. Of course it won’t be able to slow your aging but it will make you feel like you lived a thousand pointless hours in a single day.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Archeron wrote: »
    I've heard that too. One of the reasons people think summers were always better when they were young, a good summer represented a large percentage of their life till then, and we are naturally inclined to remember good times more than bad. Hence why a single good summer as a kid could have been 10% of your life till then. Could be balls, but I did see that somewhere. Possibly QI.

Its pretty obvious really. I can probably remember who was at my 7th birthday party and what i was wearing but ask me what i did on my 37th?

No chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,905 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I'll be turning sixty next year and I've long reconciled myself with the fact that I have seen more sunrises than I am going to see. Sometimes I stop and laugh at the young men in their thirties who moan about "feeling old," until I realise that I used to be that young man and I that used to feel old. :)

I have few regrets. I've been happily married almost thirty years to a woman who looks as beautiful today as the day I married her. My wife and I raised our two children hoping that they be able to support themselves and live fulfilling independent lives when we're gone. And if I'm no longer with us tomorrow I'm sure they will except for my daughter.

?? :confused:

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I'll be a big kid forever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,862 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I'm 44 too OP. Haven't given a mid life crisis much thought to be honest. Look at young fellows now straightening their hair and wearing ridiculously tight clothes and think "fcuk you look stupid"....But then my oul lad probably thought the same in his day.
    No interest in buying a sports car or looking for a young one. Enjoy the company of my wife more than ever and actually would have my head fried listening to the inane sh*te talk of a 19 year old.
    I've hit a sweet spot where I can find younger girls attractive but a good looking older lady can turn my head.
    Don't see me having a mid life crisis tbh because what is the point? You get older every day and you can't fight that.
    Enjoy life because it's short enough.

Less of the personals there, Kathleen. I’d suggest you calm down and stop being hysterical.

Ah, the trademark "Less of the personals" patter from the guy who goes around this website making personal attacks on everybody - usually accompanied by the retarded "pal" and quotidian, creatively challenged scatological posts that were the hallmark of, eh, those totally different posters FlutterinBantam/Fulton Crown etc.
    I’ve a very light-hearted attitude to life

You wouldn't think it with your near obsessive bitterness about your ex-wife on this forum. It really is a sight to behold. Nothing "light-hearted" about it at all.
    that includes my attitude to sex. Certainly not the sort that only does it once a week - Saturday night, lights out, bottle of wine, after watching the Ray Darcy show, 10
    minutes max, only 2 positions.

It all sounds much, much more like the utterances of a repressed 16-year-old who has just had sex for the first time and it's the biggest thing in the world than it sounds like the utterances of somebody who is getting it regularly and for whom it is therefore normal. As somebody here has aptly decribed you already: Jay in the InBetweeners

Ah, the trademark "Less of the personals" patter from the guy who goes around this website making personal attacks on everybody - usually accompanied by the retarded "pal" and quotidian, creatively challenged scatological posts that were the hallmark of, eh, those totally different posters FlutterinBantam/Fulton Crown etc.

On the subject of creative..what is your username irish for?

Very ethnic of you I must say...do you have a beard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Such jealousy here for the JohnnyFlash!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

You probably say that about all men.

Met a fair few women like you in my time..usually have been dumped for a younger model and become feminists or lesbians.

"Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned"

You couldn't be more wrong.

TomSweeney wrote:
    Such jealousy here for the JohnnyFlash!!

You'll find the beta male is always a jealous creature.

Most of them spend the day stalking people on FB hoping somebody will one day sort them out with a soapy tit shandy.

I don't know much about Johnny here but I suspect he's a similar sort of gent to myself..bow legged,arrogant gait,a prominent midsection and a dick like a baby's arm holding an orange.

I'm an equal opportunities sort of a chap too..even ugly ladies need loving and after a few cans of special brew I'm only to happy to give it to them.
    Break hearts and empty knickers..if you get my drift.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Its pretty obvious really. I can probably remember who was at my 7th birthday party and what i was wearing but ask me what i did on my 37th?

No chance.
    Maybe that's why time goes so slowly for me T? I can't recall anything of my 7th birthday, or 8th or 15th, save for a couple of drawer curling photos of what feels like someone else entirely, but I'd have much more recall of my 37th and increasing recall of each year until this one. My life memory seems to have a limit at any one time. So every few years, or after a period of stasis in some part of my life, change or time happens and I reset. The stuff of before feels a bit like somebody else's memories if you know what I mean?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I suspect he's a similar sort of gent to myself..bow legged,arrogant gait,a prominent midsection and a dick like a baby's arm holding an orange

With a clean shaven face? You see a silly amount of unkempt scraggly beards these days. Really unsightly.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement

usually accompanied by the retarded "pal"

There is really no need for that sort of language. There are a number of users of this site with special needs. Obviously nothing too severe but I doubt they’d appreciate what you said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

Buy a Ferrari

Georgie Burgess some young one on the bonnet.

Mid life crisis over

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

You'll find the beta male is always a jealous creature.

Most of them spend the day stalking people on FB hoping somebody will one day sort them out with a soapy tit shandy.

I don't know much about Johnny here but I suspect he's a similar sort of gent to myself..bow legged,arrogant gait,a prominent midsection and a dick like a baby's arm holding an orange.

I'm an equal opportunities sort of a chap too..even ugly ladies need loving and after a few cans of special brew I'm only to happy to give it to them.

Very accurate description, Emmet. The old midsection has become a bit more pronounced recently - 8 pints of porter, and a battered sausage meal with garlic sauce would be a fairly regular dietary choice.

As for my ‘bride frightener’ - no complaints in that department at all. Some lads say it isn’t what you’re packing, but what you do with it. All I say to that is that you won’t line out in an All-Ireland final using a miniature hurl - if you catch my drift.

Wibbs wrote:
    Maybe that's why time goes so slowly for me T? I can't recall anything of my 7th birthday, or 8th or 15th, save for a couple of drawer curling photos of what feels like someone else entirely, but I'd have much more recall of my 37th and increasing recall of each year until this one. My life memory seems to have a limit at any one time. So every few years, or after a period of stasis in some part of my life, change or time happens and I reset. The stuff of before feels a bit like somebody else's memories if you know what I mean?

Shrooms in March?

Buy a Ferrari

Or a campervan that you will spend approximately a week in before it's left to rust in the driveway.

I remember back in the 90s our 45 year old supervisor came into work with a "manchester" haircut and a pair of white converse..not only did it fail to make him look younger it succeeded in making him look like a prize tit.

I used to see another bloke of a similar age sporting cowboy boots and driving some sort of 70s convertible like a wanker .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

I remember back in the 90s our 45 year old supervisor came into work with a "manchester" haircut and a pair of white converse..not only did it fail to make him look younger it succeeded in making him look like a prize tit.

I used to see another bloke of a similar age sporting cowboy boots and driving some sort of 70s convertible like a wanker .

"manchester" hair cut?

Shrooms in March?
    I wish T. At least then I'd come down and sober up. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

"manchester" hair cut?

Google image maDchester haircut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

"manchester" hair cut?

Gallagher brothers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

I'll be turning sixty next year and I've long reconciled myself with the fact that I have seen more sunrises than I am going to see. Sometimes I stop and laugh at the young men in their thirties who moan about "feeling old," until I realise that I used to be that young man and I that used to feel old. :)

I have few regrets. I've been happily married almost thirty years to a woman who looks as beautiful today as the day I married her. My wife and I raised our two children hoping that they be able to support themselves and live fulfilling independent lives when we're gone. And if I'm no longer with us tomorrow I'm sure they will except for my daughter.

I'm turning 30 this year and I tune out when friends and colleagues around the same age moan about being old. It's simply not true. Most people that age are just more aware of what makes them tick and are less compelled to say "yes" to everything or make wild, crazy decisions. That doesn't make you old - it simply means you've reached a certain level of maturity and live your life the way you want to, instead of trying to please others all the time. One of my best friends just turned 60 as well and told me a lot of her peer group have been moaning about being old for the last 20 years. I certainly don't intend to live my life lamenting that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Get a lot of the first sort of dudes at League of Ireland matches. Fat old shîtes approaching 50 still wearing Adidas Original runners, a cagoule, and putting gel in their short spikey grey hair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Neames

No one gets old anymore...or grows up more to the point.

In the past you pretty much stuck to the well worn path....school, job, marry, retire....and had to give up pastimes on the way until there was pretty much nothing left of your younger self.

Now you can continue with your hobbies...guys in their 70s running marathons, retrain multiple times, marry or not or marry again and again.

I think it's great for everyone. Be what you want, do what you want once you don't hurt anyone.

You don't stop doing things because you get old .....you get old because you stop doing things.

I'm having a werther's original while I type this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

You remember who was at your 7th birthday party & a particular day over 20 years ago when your manager got a haircut and what runners he had on??

You got all this on betamax?

begbysback wrote:
    You got all this on betamax?

begbysback wrote:
    You remember who was at your 7th birthday party & a particular day over 20 years ago when your manager got a haircut and what runners he had on??

A sharp memory,lad..and an eye for detail.

Traits that have availed me well over the years..especially when it comes to "de-bagging" members of the fairer sex.

• Advertisement

Get a lot of the first sort of dudes at League of Ireland matches. Fat old shîtes approaching 50 still wearing Adidas Original runners, a cagoule, and putting gel in their short spikey grey hair.

Know them well Johannes.
    Pubs around Drumcondra do be full of them of a Sunday.
    Great heaps of lard talking about football with beer-soaked authority whilst reliving the day they scored a hat trick against Scoil Neassain in the 1980s.

They usually have a fish tank too that they built shelving around and a 72" telly to watch Netflix on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

?? :confused:
    Unfortunately my daughter is still stuck at home, unlike my son who's flying it in college.

For some reason she has it in her head that she's going to become one of those "body positive influencers" on the internet, so she's taken to laying around eating chocolates and ordering those ****ing disgusting takeaways in the evenings. Posting about "beauty at any size" and "eff[ing] beauty standards."

Obviously I'm concerned about her health but I'm also aghast at this shallow and malevolent side she hasn't ever shown before. This body positive stuff is just exploiting fat people's low self esteem and their inability to control their bad habits. You wouldn't see anyone telling alcoholics to "drink up lads" or promote them showing off their disgusting beer bellies or even lamenting that red noses and bloated hands aren't considered "beautiful."

I'm hoping it's just a phase. I might even get her a pair of runners when I go to town tomorrow, it might give her the kick up the fat arse she needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

.even ugly ladies need loving and after a few cans of special brew I'm only to happy to give it to them.

Living the dream, buddy. Living the dream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Sit down for this - but there’s a third position. Complex, and requires years of practice.
    Is this the famous "sit down" position?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I'm 49, I had mine at 42 when I bought a bike. That has spiralled out of control slightly. I now have 3 bikes, had 4 but sold one of them a few months back. I have spent a small fortune on them along with all the clothing, accessories, tools etc etc that go along with the sport however I am fitter now than I was in my 20's and 30's and hopefully it'll give me the opportunity for a longer lifespan.

• Advertisement
Advertisement