Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Wonderstruck

Cool thanks - so if it’s expemption and exclusion clauses with a customer just go right to the unfair terms directive? And if business to business possibly George Mitchell and you’d bring in test for negligence etc here like pretty much just case law?

Ugh this is confusing

Yeah for business you'd have some SOG 1893 stuff but the Unfair Terms directive even has stuff in the grey list which would cover a common law approach anyways (e.g. fundamental breach is there on the Grey list so you'd be as well to just point at that then go through the ins and outs of exclusion clauses for fundamental breach)

Anyone have any contract predictions? #strawclutching

• Registered Users Posts: 36 keelfe1s

Does anyone know can we print off Sale of Goods Act 1893 from Irish Statute book ?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭sbbyrne

keelfe1s wrote: »
    Does anyone know can we print off Sale of Goods Act 1893 from Irish Statute book ?

pretty sure you can't. I think it says it in the letter with the rules, if you have that handy maybe double check!

I think they're relatively strict on the legislation, i would contact the law society and check.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 gfettig

In what form has the Anton Pillar come up in the past? Essay or Problem?

last time was fall 2017 as an essay. "draconian and essentially unfair" quote from Columbia Pictures v Robinson. Discuss, with reference to case law, the principles governing applications for Anton Pillar Orders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 gfettig

Breacnua wrote: »
    is an essay on SP in equity more or less the same in contract if asked ?
    send me ur email

as an essay it tends to come up as 'discuss the defences to a claim for sp' or a discussion of a quote from CH Giles v Morris & asking how courts have dealt with sp for contracts for personal services.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭holliek

Can someone explain the outcome of Vallee v Birchwood and King v DUbrey? My head is melted and can't figure the final decisions

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Leraf

Injunctions
    Resulting trusts - presumption of advancement
    Charitable trusts cy pres
    Undue influence - rescission
    Dmc and re rose and rule in strong v bird
    Trustees

Anything I should add ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 laurar2019

has SP ever come up in contract law ?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Yohnathan

You cannot. It is to prevent people adding in pages or editing the legislation etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Amanda226

Does penalty clauses ever come up in problem questions or is it usually as essay? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 32 laurar2019

what are the qs that arise from remdies in Contract law in general ? :) help a gal out x-0

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭LawGirl3434

laurar2019 wrote: »
    what are the qs that arise from remdies in Contract law in general ? :) help a gal out x-0

This is stressing me too! I saw people saying an essay on specific performance but can’t see it in any of the papers back to 2015 and have like no notes on it! I feel damages is the only one I’ve seen come up - remoteness types etc

This is stressing me too! I saw people saying an essay on specific performance but can’t see it in any of the papers back to 2015 and have like no notes on it! I feel damages is the only one I’ve seen come up - remoteness types etc

SP as an essay came up in April 2014 (the essay was whem is it an appropriate remedy)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ErinLP44

Equity- specific performance is predicted to come up on the paper seemingly. Does anyone have any recent cases on specific performance that are essential to include also I am getting very confused with he distinction between contracts for services and contracts of services. Anyone care to explain??

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Charles OCK

ErinLP44 wrote: »
    Equity- specific performance is predicted to come up on the paper seemingly. Does anyone have any recent cases on specific performance that are essential to include also I am getting very confused with he distinction between contracts for services and contracts of services. Anyone care to explain??

I dont have any recent cases other than the ones provided in my manual.

Do you know if contracts requiring supervision fall under the provision of personal services or are they a separate concept?

this is what I am confused about

according to my notes I would say that contracts requiring supervision come into this category
    mine say:

contracts for service- are those that require constant supervision
    contracts of service - typical employment contracts (ie compelling someone to work for you if specific performance is granted)

and both of these presumably fall under the title of personal services. Im just a bit confused about which cases fall under each category and how to distinguish between the two. for example - the co-op v argyll stores case that involved an obligation to trade- is this a contract FOR services or OF (ie would it be one requiring supervision?)

I dont have any recent cases other than the ones provided in my manual.

Do you know if contracts requiring supervision fall under the provision of personal services or are they a separate concept?

according to my notes I would say that contracts requiring supervision come into this category
    mine say:

contracts of service - typical employment contracts (ie compelling someone to work for you if specific performance is granted)

and both of these presumably fall under the title of personal services. Im just a bit confused about which cases fall under each category and how to distinguish between the two. for example - the co-op v argyll stores case that involved an obligation to trade- is this a contract FOR services or OF (ie would it be one requiring supervision?)

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭nimcdona

for equity and charitable trusts, does anyone know if section 3 of the charities act 2009 has fully come into effect?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 marc24

nimcdona wrote: »
    for equity and charitable trusts, does anyone know if section 3 of the charities act 2009 has fully come into effect?

Yes it came into effect in Oct 2014

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Supreme!Fox

Re EU Law - In Competition Law, is there a difference between collective/joint dominance under Art 102 and concerted practices under Art 101?

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭holliek

marc24 wrote: »

The griffith sample answer to 2015 Oct q3 says it still hadn't come into effect yet..

holliek wrote: »
    The griffith sample answer to 2015 Oct q3 says it still hadn't come into effect yet..

Those prep colleges.... I got the receipts bro

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2014/si/457/made/en/print

Those prep colleges.... I got the receipts bro

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2014/si/457/made/en/print

tbh i think the sample answers are often copy and paste jobs, you'd see some essay questions referring to names as if in a problem question, so might be just a case of it being from an earlier question :)

sbbyrne wrote: »
    tbh i think the sample answers are often copy and paste jobs, you'd see some essay questions referring to names as if in a problem question, so might be just a case of it being from an earlier question :)

Yeah I'd say so too! ;) i hope it comes up now for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Smiley283

ErinLP44 wrote: »

mine say:

My Griffith manual says they're two different concepts.

The cases that they have laid out in the section for contracts requiring supervision are

Posner v scott-lewis
    Cooperative insurance society v Argyll stores
    Wanze properties

marc24 wrote: »

Thank you!

I saw that too, thats what confused me

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭sapphire309

The topic of Sources of EU Law - is that just regulations, directives and decisions?

• Advertisement

I can't seem to get satisfaction into my head, i feel like i'm going in circles with it :(:( anyone have any tips how to simplify it? At this stage i'm desperate

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement