Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is Waterford left out on a lot of tourist Itinaries

• 19-03-2019 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Whenever I hear Americans saying they've been to Ireland they seldom mention visiting Waterford. It's always Cork, Dublin, Galway, Kilkenny never Waterford. Kilkenny always seems to get preference over Waterford.

Are we doing a poor job at promoting it? Because i think we've made great strides with the Viking Triangle, Cathedral Square, etc. This is Irelands oldest city and I think it should be on every itinerary.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭BBM77

It is the same as everything else. Waterford is just not getting the state support the other areas you mentioned are. Sure all the Ancient East ad’s lately are promoting Cork. It is not that we are doing a poor job. It is we are paying tax for state agencies but we are not getting a return.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Bards

100 years of state sponsored apartheid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It's a farce that Cork is included as part of the Ancient East. The branding campaign has been an utter failte can far as I can tell.

As for Waterford - I happened to be listening to Newstalk on St Paddy's morning and there was a feature regarding parades, events. They went up hill and down dale, all round the houses but did not mention Waterford once. That's about typical for the national media. Waterford's own work in this regard is laughable, they haven't even worked out what to sell never mind how to sell it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

Waterford needs to plough its own furrow. But it's a bit difficult when the rest of the country wants to drown everything down here at birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭yer man!

I think the Greenway has been fantastic for the place though. I lived in Waterford for two years and then moved to Dublin. A lot of people in the office have gone down for a weekend because of the Greenway. I reckon it's a place that's getting more domestic tourism rather than international at the moment. Could definitely do with more promotion, the beaches and Greenway alone are fantastic amenities.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

BBM77 wrote: »
    It is the same as everything else. Waterford is just not getting the state support the other areas you mentioned are. Sure all the Ancient East ad’s lately are promoting Cork. It is not that we are doing a poor job. It is we are paying tax for state agencies but we are not getting a return.

Look at the four shoddy TDs that ye send up to Dublin to represent you! Kim- Jong-Halligan is a complete eejit, Deasy a clown, Cullinane a joke and I don't even know the current Eff Effer's name. If they all dropped dead in the morning, no one outside the County would even notice!

And don't get me started on Martin Cullen and his pal Monica Leech :mad:

Cullen delivered stuff and that's what happens when you have a cabinet seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 DubToDeise

The council haven't got their **** together. The Apple Market has the potential to be like the bottom of Shop Street in Galway and look at the mess we've been left with!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

When Cromwell came to Olivers hill with his garrisons and gawked down on Waterford he said xucx that for a game of soldiers, theres nothing there worth robbing and he trotted off, hence the saying Waterford the untaken city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

So much wrong here but we'll try to make a start!

Lack of top quality hotels in the city.
    Poor access to other popular centres such as The West of Ireland.
    (And I'm talking trains)
    No traditional Irish Pubs or music scene.
    Are restaurants even open before five in the evening?
    No organised tours to areas outside of the city ie Lismore, Dunmore or even Hook!

And I'll say it again,

We need more Irish festivals. Galway is awash with them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

marlin vs wrote: »
    When Cromwell came to Olivers hill with his garrisons and gawked down on Waterford he said xucx that for a game of soldiers, theres nothing there worth robbing and he trotted off, hence the saying Waterford the untaken city.

You're talking bollox son.

You're talking bollox son.
    Correct, dad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭BBM77

Jesus, has St Otteran's got a new computer room or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Quite a number of my colleagues (in Dublin) have done either done the greenway or visited Faithlegg in the last 6-12 months. Faithlegg seem to be doing great offers.

Irish tourists are holidaying at home more than ever, but they want the nice small towns - they want Dunmore East, Ardmore or Dungarvan. They also want spa facilities and good quality dining. Ask yourself the question, what does Waterford offer that the other cities don't?

I popped down to Waterford on Sunday afternoon, just after the parade finished. As I saw a bit of a crowd still knocking around, I decided to park the car on Catherine's St and have a look around with the wife.

I couldn't believe it when I saw that Waterford Crystal visitor centre was shut - how many tourist orientated businesses in the world would shut when a massive crowd of tourists were literally standing outside their doors!?

The vast majority of shops in town were shut. Someone in the council must have made a bit of an effort and organised a couple of food stalls, some rickedy rides from Tramore and a couple of young lads on a stage with a guitar. But as only a handful of shops, and McDonalds, were open it was all a bit flat and half hearted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭bullpost

A bit of perspective:
    Galway welcomes more overseas visitors than Cork or Kerry, and Longford is Ireland's least-visited county, according to new data from Fáilte Ireland.

The data charts visitor numbers and revenue by region and county in 2017, a record-breaking year for Irish tourism.

Dublin is the county attracting the most overseas visitors and tourist spend, followed by Galway, Cork and Kerry, the figures show.

Overseas visitors and spend by county (2017)

Dublin: 5,936,000 (€1981m)
    Galway: 1,673,000 (€589m)
    Cork: 1,600,000 (€631m)
    Kerry: 1,277,000 (€337m)
    Clare: 749,000 (€158m)
    Limerick: 647,000 (€261m)
    Mayo: 324,000 (€78m)
    Kilkenny: 315,000 (€55m)
    Wicklow: 275,000 (€73m)
    Donegal: 255,000 (€82m)
    Waterford: 255,000 (€69m)
    Wexford: 232,000 (€61m)
    Kildare: 211,000 (€91m)
    Tipperary (N&S): 192,000 (€88m)
    Sligo: 173,000 (€45m)
    Louth: 172,000 (€55m)
    Meath: 162,000 (€44m)
    Cavan: 107,000 (€48m)
    Westmeath: 103,000 (€46m)
    Carlow: 79,000 (€45m)
    Monaghan: 60,000 (€25m)
    Roscommon: 54,000 (€27m)
    Offaly: 52,000 (€16m)
    Laois: 43,000 (€14m)
    Leitrim: 41,000 (€18m)
    Longford: 24,000 (€10m)

The north quays project will save us all! ;)

BBM77 wrote: »
    Jesus, has St Otteran's got a new computer room or something?
    I'm in Árd Na Deise boy.

We're not even getting what visitors we have to spend much - then again what would they spend money on here?

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Harry P

Your use of the data provided is more than a little disingenuous when you reflect on the fact that Kilkenny, the supposed acme of south east tourism, with 315,000 visitors only had a spend of €55m.

Is the spend low across the whole south east?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

The last time I stayed overnight in Waterford City the night air was filled with the sound of drunks shouting and bottles breaking.

Nice county. Dreadful city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

First Up wrote: »
    The last time I stayed overnight in Waterford City the night air was filled with the sound of drunks shouting and bottles breaking.

And that kind of thing is exclusive to Waterford is it??

alta stare wrote:
    And that kind of thing is exclusive to Waterford is it??

Well I slept peacfully in Cork and Galway - even Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Well I slept peacfully in Cork and Galway - even Limerick.

Did you?? I dont know how us citizens of this horrible city manage to get sleep so. Terrible so it is.

And what utopia do you hail from??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭thomasm

I tried to sleep in a hotel within spitting distance of Windsor Castle once when Queen was in residence and was woken up by a running battle between drunks that lasted about 40 mins before cops arrived. Can happen anywhere.

alta stare wrote:
    And what eutopia do you hail from??

One where we know how to spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I went down and cycled the copper coast to dungarvan and back via the green way. The copper coast should be promoted more. It was a beautiful cycle and the coast line is fantastic. I rarely hear mention of the copper coast anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

alta stare wrote: »
    Did you?? I dont know how us citizens of this horrible city manage to get sleep so. Terrible so it is.

And what utopia do you hail from??

Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭dzilla

So much wrong here but we'll try to make a start!

Lack of top quality hotels in the city.
    Poor access to other popular centres such as The West of Ireland.
    (And I'm talking trains)
    No traditional Irish Pubs or music scene.
    Are restaurants even open before five in the evening?
    No organised tours to areas outside of the city ie Lismore, Dunmore or even Hook!

And I'll say it again,

We need more Irish festivals. Galway is awash with them!

Nail on the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Not many tourists going to Roscommon, Cork and Galway are my two favourite places to spend time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,630 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Why is Cork in the so-called Ancient East? Utter bollox.

Cork can thrive on its own without being lumped into the "East".

Advertisement