Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass shooting New Zealand Mosque - MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

I love the fact that the judge wants his face blurred. Know his victims not him. He deserves nothing but misery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

KKkitty wrote: »
    I love the fact that the judge wants his face blurred. Know his victims not him. He deserves nothing but misery.

he is nothing. he is nobody. he is meaningless.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Has there been any updates on charges for any of the other 3 people arrested in connection with this attack?

As of today, of the four people who were arrested on the day.

1: Male, Charged with murder. The Aussie/spree shooter.
    2: Male, Charged with a firearms offense. The police set up a cordon after the incident, this guy was picked up driving his car through the checkpoint, and was found with a firearm he presumably was not authorised to have. The police do not believe he was involved with the mosque shooting.
    3: Female, Released without charge. The woman who was in the same car as the chap in #2.
    4: 18 year old male, arrested as part of the investigation, involved "tangentially". Not suspected of being involved in the mosque shooting. Will be in court next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭RandomName2

KKkitty wrote: »

The guy wants notoriety. It would be wise not to grant it to him.

Second, I believe that's actually the law in New Zealand (and one that does not seem particularly unreasonable)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 746 ✭✭✭GinAndBitter

The guy wants notoriety. It would be wise not to grant it to him.

Second, I believe that's actually the law in New Zealand (and one that does not seem particularly unreasonable)

It is the law, it has nothing to do with the crimes he commited.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Feels over reals...

He is someone, and he will be sentenced for his crimes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 746 ✭✭✭GinAndBitter

Feels over reals...

It common for people to dehumanize in cases like this, I can understand it but it doesn't really help. Human beings are capable of horrible things as we've seen.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

listermint wrote: »
    There was plenty of mass killings in the era of Tommy guns.
    Actually I'm sorry L there were not. There were shootings of course, but the vast majority were criminal on criminal, not lone nutters and teenaged boys opening up in schools and university campuses. The most famous, nay infamous incident of the period was the St Valentine's Day massacre in the late 20's carried out by organised crime against competitors at the height of Prohibition, Al Capone and all that. Seven murdered. Seven. That was reported worldwide it was considered so heinous.
    This is the type of inane NRA new age facts that they use to distort the past.

The 1930s no different to now in the sense that there is no domestic use of a semi or full automatic weapon.

There simply isn't
    Whatever about fully auto firearms and I would agree there, semiautomatic is a wide definition. Many sporting guns are semiautomatic, others are lever or pump action, which with practice can lay down pretty heavy fire. Hell, a nutcase well practiced with a double barrelled shotgun could cause serious mayhem and murder and the double barrelled shotgun is just above air rifles in most jurisdictions as far as access is concerned. Ireland has one of the tightest gun control legislation in the world and shotguns are about the easiest firearms to own.
    And pretending the past was some paradise is equally as dillusional.
    Nobody said it wasn't. I certainly didn't and I'm no NRA nutter. However knee jerk simplistic responses while comforting in the moment are not much use if they don't actually work.

The facts are increasing gun control in the US(which is and was sorely needed) did not reduce the incidences of mass murder. Again the facts are when traced against a graph of increased legislation the incidence of mass murder has gone up.

Wiki article OK? The salient bit being: Studies indicate that the rate at which public mass shootings occur has tripled since 2011. Between 1982 and 2011, a mass shooting occurred roughly once every 200 days. However, between 2011 and 2014 that rate has accelerated greatly with at least one mass shooting occurring every 64 days in the United States.[21]

In recent years, the number of public mass shootings has increased substantially, although there has been an approximately 50% decrease in firearm homicides in the nation overall since 1993.
    [Emphasis mine]

More gun control could well be a factor in the drop in overall homicides, but it certainly doesn't seem to have had much effect on mass murders. The stats make this pretty clear. There are other factors at work. Complex factors. Consider that Switzerland is awash with military grade automatic weapons as part of their culture and legislation, yet no mass murder sprees. There are complex factors there too.
    Also. I'm surprised at you. We don't legislate for the past we legislate for today and the future.
    We also, or should legislate by learning from the past to see what works and is working and what doesn't.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

oohh much powerful. Dehumanising terrorists/shooters does not do anything.

Scumbag's granny Marie Fitzgerald said "he was uninterested in girls"

now there's a surprise.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 408 ✭✭SoundsRight

Family member's have had to go into hiding. Must be awful for them trying to deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Family member's have had to go into hiding. Must be awful for them trying to deal with it.

Fatwa?
    Or is the family just hiding from media?

Feels over reals...

you sound like a fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,455 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

you sound like a fan.

He was calling out trite b.s. One could argue that he was treating the situation with the respect it deserves.

Danzy wrote: »
    He was calling out trite b.s. One could argue that he was treating the situation with the respect it deserves.

another fan.

ya my heart really bleeds for them.

another fan.

Haha. Anyone who doesn't agree with you is a fan of a terrorist?

Pathetic

Are you implying that they share the blame for what happened?

And bye bye to your credibility forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,042 ✭✭✭Odhinn

There's nothing to suggest they bear any guilt for this thus far.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 408 ✭✭SoundsRight

tuxy wrote: »
    Fatwa?
    Or is the family just hiding from media?

There's a significant Islamist presence in Australia. This shooting may have ramped up whatever plans they had in the pipeline.

tuxy wrote: »
    Are you implying that they share the blame for what happened?

i think i would prefer to save my sympathy for the victims of this child-killer and THEIR families, and not to whoever spawned him/it.

i think i would prefer to save my sympathy for the victims of this child-killer and THEIR families, and not to whoever spawned him/it.

I see that's a yes then. What about the grandparents that were interviewed or maybe it all started with his great-Grandparents? Actually there's a good chance he is a descendant from the penal colony, I blame England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭KikiLaRue

There's a significant Islamist presence in Australia. This shooting may have ramped up whatever plans they had in the pipeline.

You should share your information with the police.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭hill16bhoy

Scumbag's granny Marie Fitzgerald said "he was uninterested in girls"

now there's a surprise.
    Usually the best innoculator against far right extremism is a good ride.

KikiLaRue wrote: »
    You should share your information with the police.

LOL
    i don't think they'll have much interest in his nocturnal ramblings, though i might be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

the video showed no successful tackling of the shooter before he left, he left in his own time. Calling the police did not work. The one defensive strategy which does not seem to have been tried was throwing things at him.

So you may scoff at the idea, but shooting shooters has got to be a better solution than any of the above, because the above is shown, repeatedly, in many locations, not to work.

I scoff at the idea that the way to diminish shootings is to make as many people as possible in any public space potential shooters.

And it seems the level-headed, calm, intelligent prime minister of New Zealand (these qualities are possible in a national leader, although Americans may have some difficulty believing that at this point in time) agrees.

And it seems the level-headed, calm, intelligent prime minister of New Zealand (these qualities are possible in a national leader, although Americans may have some difficulty believing that at this point in time) agrees.

It's hard to know if what she is doing is the best course of action.
    On one hand I'd like it if people like this found it more difficult to get guns.
    On the other she is acting exactly as the shooter hoped politicians would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

you sound like a fan.
    No they don't. Don't be an idiot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ro_chez

This video sums up the situation perfectly.

All the ignorant, emotional, knee jerk, reactions by most in response to this and other atrocities, ensure that the murderers ultimate goal is a success.

Advertisement