Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gangland Shootings [Mod Note in Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

You do realise.. People of colour work in Ireland aswell?.
    what colour would that be?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

revenge attack? liam neeson defence maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭SporadicMan

The Indo have finally learned how to report on violent attacks involving black people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

That's bad. What the feck is wrong with people. Just randomly lashing into others.

Side note - I am a person of colours. My skin is generally sallow, quite beige really, much more yellow than my Asian neighbour, and I have red cheeks (on my face!). After a hot shower I am almost completely red. If I run - yikes, red and white splotchy, maybe even a bit purple.

• Advertisement

Zorya wrote: »
    Side note - I am a person of colours. My skin is generally sallow, quite beige really, much more yellow than my Asian neighbour, and I have red cheeks (on my face!). After a hot shower I am almost completely red. If I run - yikes, red and white splotchy, maybe even a bit purple.

You have the best typing skills of any chameleon I have ever known! :pac:

revenge attack? liam neeson defence maybe

Pretty sure Twitter has him as the prime suspect but you know the Indo, they'd never publish anything bad about a Nordie ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

3 strikes policy- under 18 = imprisonment until the 25
    Adult = up to life in prison

Or

Lobotomy/medication for the Jimmy the scumbag type repeat offenders

Introduce jails like the USA where you are detained awaiting court appearance. Have only one jail per county/division in the divisional HQ. For example Thurles Co Tipperary (Tipperary divisional HQ). No sleeping it off at the local station for an arrest for ASB in Nenagh and Clonmel. You’ll have to make your own way home if freed on bail in the court.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

A disgusting attack rightfully highlighted and I hope they catch the scum who perpetrated it. However this handily illustrates the point many of us are making. Black lad gets viciously attacked by three scum and it's in the media, with pic of the chap in his hospital bed and his story told. White lad gets viciously attacked by a large group of scum. Where is his story in the Indo, his pic from his hospital bed? And some still cling to the idiotic notion that such crimes are treated equally? I call bollocks to that.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Kivaro wrote: »

The decisions you made to get where you are.. Are your own. Stop blaming everybody else on your own issues. The immigrants etc have not stopped you from progressing in life. Only you have.
    Oh sweet Jesus, I should have done this ages ago.
    Your posts are insufferable.

You can join your extremist friend Dav on the ignore list.

Awww.... Happy out so I am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,579 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

3 strikes policy- under 18 = imprisonment until the 25
    Adult = up to life in prison

Or

Lobotomy/medication for the Jimmy the scumbag type repeat offenders
    How's that working out in the States for keeping down crime rates?

The decisions you made to get where you are.. Are your own. Stop blaming everybody else on your own issues. The immigrants etc have not stopped you from progressing in life. Only you have.

You didn't really read that post did you?
    I did. The poster has failed at proving the Irish are the lowest priority in Ireland in anyway shape or form.

I just want someone who can push aside their feelings to tell me in a factual way how the Irish are the lowest priority in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭MFPM

Wibbs wrote: »
    A disgusting attack rightfully highlighted and I hope they catch the scum who perpetrated it. However this handily illustrates the point many of us are making. Black lad gets viciously attacked by three scum and it's in the media, with pic of the chap in his hospital bed and his story told. White lad gets viciously attacked by a large group of scum. Where is his story in the Indo, his pic from his hospital bed? And some still cling to the idiotic notion that such crimes are treated equally? I call bollocks to that.

Firstly violent crime is part and parcel of society unfortunately, it is perpertrated by people of all genders, races and creeds, some of this crime gets reported much of it doesn't.

The case of the man who was attacked at the car wash is getting coverage because based on what is being reported it is in part a race related crime as indicated by expressions such as 'monkey' and 'go back to where you came from'.

Is there any evidence that the young man who was brutally assaulted by the gang was done so becaue of the colour of his skin?
    Thus your hypothesis that there is a media agenda against 'race' crime against white people (a laughable suggestion) rather falls falt on its face.

Much of the discussion on the case in Ashbourne here has nothing to do with the act or the injuries of the young man (beyond token faux outrage) the essence of the discussion is on the racial profile of the perpertrators, many posters exploiting it to vomit their prejudicial attitude to the African community in Ireland.

It wouldn’t be designed to keep down crime rates, it would be designed to keep these people off the streets and stop them breeding. It seems when one scumbag passes away another 4+ (the children) take his/her place. If we imprison as many scumbags as we can then these people will be taken off the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭MFPM

It wouldn’t be designed to keep down crime rates, it would be designed to keep these people off the streets and stop them breeding. It seems when one scumbag passes away another 4+ (the children) take his/her place. If we imprison as many scumbags as we can then these people will be taken off the streets.

How's that working out?

You seem only interested in treating symptoms rather than the cause - do you you see any role for addressing issues around, inequality, socio-economic status, poverty etc?

I've obviously walked in on something here. I don't know about the rest but I certainly agree with your first sentence!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

MFPM wrote: »
    How's that working out?

You seem only interested in treating symptoms rather than the cause - do you you see any role for addressing issues around, inequality, socio-economic status, poverty etc?

Are these gang members poor? Have they low socio-economic status? Have they been afforded unequal opportunity ? They look to be well-clothed, well-fed and have good phones. I am willing to bet all 13 euros (I have till payday in my bank account) that I am significantly poorer than these youth, and am much lower socio-economically in the pecking order, and yet I don't seem to feel the need to rush around robbing and mugging and assaulting random people on the byways hereabouts. :confused:

How's that working out?

Cheap social housing, welfare, medical card and numerous other benefits, GAA/football clubs, arts, library, playgrounds, free education.

We’ve never had it this good in this country and yet scumbags will still be scumbags. There are people in these areas on the exact same incomes/circumstances e.g JSA/DA etc who don’t have to resort to criminality and are law abiding citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Cordell

How's that working out?

No, there is no poverty that can explain their behavior, not in Ireland anyway. Youths acting up and joining gangs, why, because they're so poor that they need to buy their tracksuits from penneys rather than nike?

Parents loosing sleep over lack of money for feeding their kids, that's the kind of poverty that can justify crime and antisocial behavior. They don't experience any of that.

I've seen and experienced poverty first hand, so excuse me if I don't buy this BS.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Firstly violent crime is part and parcel of society unfortunately, it is perpertrated by people of all genders, races and creeds, some of this crime gets reported much of it doesn't.

The case of the man who was attacked at the car wash is getting coverage because based on what is being reported it is in part a race related crime as indicated by expressions such as 'monkey' and 'go back to where you came from'.

Is there any evidence that the young man who was brutally assaulted by the gang was done so becaue of the colour of his skin?
    Thus your hypothesis that there is a media agenda against 'race' crime against white people (a laughable suggestion) rather falls falt on its face.
    So a vicious attack perpetrated by a large gang of any colour on an individual, in an emerging pattern of large gangs of youths of any colour regularly running amok along public transport routes in the capital city is not newsworthy? Do you honestly believe if this was predominantly White gangs of this number and regularity of public disorder and thuggishness it wouldn't be in the news on the regular? Unless they were Travellers of course, they rarely get their ethnic status reported, instead euphemisms like "travelling gangs" is what is deemed acceptable for print.
    Much of the discussion on the case in Ashbourne here has nothing to do with the act or the injuries of the young man (beyond token faux outrage) the essence of the discussion is on the racial profile of the perpertrators, many posters exploiting it to vomit their prejudicial attitude to the African community in Ireland.
    Where are the large gangs of majority Chinese, or Lithuanian, or Polish(largest non native Irish population) lads and lasses causing trouble? Unless you can prove otherwise and I'm all ears, this particular trend is undeniably more an issue within the African community in Ireland.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Giveaway

So a vicious attack perpetrated by a large gang of any colour on an individual, in an emerging pattern of large gangs of youths of any colour regularly running amok along public transport routes in the capital city is not newsworthy? Do you honestly believe if this was predominantly White gangs of this number and regularity of public disorder and thuggishness it wouldn't be in the news on the regular? Unless they were Travellers of course, they rarely get their ethnic status reported, instead euphemisms like "travelling gangs" is what is deemed acceptable for print.

Where are the large gangs of majority Chinese, or Lithuanian, or Polish(largest non native Irish population) lads and lasses causing trouble? Unless you can prove otherwise and I'm all ears, this particular trend is undeniably more an issue within the African community in Ireland.
    Careful now. A lot of african countries have similar problems with criminals from the same african region too

Cordell wrote: »
    No, there is no poverty that can explain their behavior, not in Ireland anyway. Youths acting up and joining gangs, why, because they're so poor that they need to buy their tracksuits from penneys rather than nike?
    It's a cultural influence. The second generation within "multicultural" societies know damned well that while they may be Irish/British/French/German on their passport, they're not quite Irish/British/French/German in reality. Their parents at least know they're Ghanian, or Nigerian. Ask any of those kids and I guarantee they'll tell you they are looked at differently, both subtly and overtly because they've built in sunblock. From the right on handwringers that are not too far removed from sympathy for "Black babies", with attendant condescension and focus on colour, to full on "go back to the jungle" types. Yep, it's racism, but that's a near given in this idiotic notion of modern "multiculturalism". No amount of holding hands and the best of intentions will change that, certainly not the way it's been tried elsewhere and we have many decades of other nation's experiences there.

So if you feel you don't quite fit in, you will quite understandably look to other expressions of that identity, one that fits your experiences more. In this case the whole rap/gang/outsider "Black" culture thing. Never mind that a big gang of you feels empowering and not to be fcuked with, never mind an element of payback for every time you walked into a shop and knew a few were thinking "nigger" under their breath, or not so under their breath. In their place I'd be pretty damned sure I'd do exactly the same at their age. In the UK many young men in their Muslim community look to their sense of shared identity. In ex colonies like the US, you see this with damned near every ethnic group that isn't the ruling caste. Italians, Jews, African, Hispanic and indeed Irish. This upcoming weekend a good example of the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Cordell

I'm not Irish either and this is obvious to anyone that hears me speaking or looks at my not so Irish facial features, but I never felt the need to bash anyone's head over this.
    I did a few things when I was young and stupid, and there was no justification or cause other that I wasn't caught and punished for any of them.
    So no, them not being Irish is not a cause. You can very well be non-Irish but a decent human being, regardless of ethnicity color or creed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Crime rates have fallen in the US in the last 2 decades iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

I get the impression.... could be completely wrong, but that the black lads were expecting a similar group of white lads.

Maybe they were all talking smack talk over some social media ?
    I thought I read somewhere that a group of white kids scarpered when the black gang got off the bus ?

So maybe they either recognised that victim from whatever social media app they used, or just went immediately into hunting/attack mode and he was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Either way, the guards apparently have 3 arrests and will probably be happy enough to leave it at that rather than try to identify the whole gang through social media and cell phone location records and try to address the entire problem.

Unfortunately Ireland doesn't have enough money for true justice and the Garda have to work to a budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Cordell wrote: »
    So no, them not being Irish is not a cause. You can very well be non-Irish but a decent human being, regardless of ethnicity color or creed.
    I think Wibb's point is that the second generation African starts off with an inbuilt identity issue that the Polish immigrant's kids will never really be stuck with.
    On top of that, there is the lure of international black "gangsta" culture which is all over Youtube and TV.

The rich and successful black role models tend to be mostly drug dealers, musicians, footballers, or athletes. That's probably due to a combination of role models/culture but also genetics. All these things are pulling them towards the creation of a new sub-culture within mainstream Irish culture. Maybe they are naturally prone to forming gangs, just as they are naturally better than whitey at some sports.
    The main point is, something needs to be done to nip their naturally destructive tendencies in the bud, because soon they will be carrying knives just like they do in the UK. Pretending its not happening, or sweeping it all under the carpet, ostrich like, is not a good option.

The flip side of this is that society should be encouraging the good stuff.
    So when the black lads tog out in the green jersey, give them every encouragement. Everyone needs to accept that the second generation is Irish, despite their unusual names and the obvious African heritage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Auntie Semite

Its funny how when any issues regarding the Travelling community arise, we are often met with the explanation 'its their culture boss'

When we speak about the African gangs can we say 'its their culture boss' or is that racist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Its funny how when any issues regarding the Travelling community arise, we are often met with the explanation 'its their culture boss'

When we speak about the African gangs can we say 'its their culture boss' or is that racist?

You will get the same reaction as the Africans are getting if bus loads of traveller youths were arming themselves and attacking children at will. No question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Auntie Semite

pablo128 wrote: »
    You will get the same reaction as the Africans are getting if bus loads of traveller youths were arming themselves and attacking children at will. No question.

Yes but my point is, is this behaviour 'their culture?

• Advertisement

Black culture?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement