Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Watch Series 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭micks_address

Doodah7 wrote: »
    For anyone interested, Argos are selling off the red 42mm Apple Watch strap for €38.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7592580/Trail/searchtext%3EAPPLE+WATCH.htm
    Is that a good price?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Is that a good price?

59 on Apple website

Shn99 wrote: »
    59 on Apple website

will this fit the smaller series 4 watch?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

will this fit the smaller series 4 watch?

You need 38mm/40mm

mad muffin wrote: »
    You need 38mm/40mm

They have it but its 59 euro. No worries. Thanks for getting back to me

• Advertisement

They have it but its 59 euro. No worries. Thanks for getting back to me

No worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭martco

v3 or v4...any opinion on which to buy right now?

I know they're both great but on the Apple IE refurb page the v3 watches GPS, 42mm are going now for just €289

seems to me that there is very little point in spending another €150 over the v3 given that neither the esim nor the ecg features are possible in our backwater location, would anyone concur?

one thought I had was to buy one from the US site using Address Pal (which would come in @€;380) and at least get the ecg feature...anyone ever tried that with success?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

martco wrote: »
    v3 or v4...any opinion on which to buy right now?

I know they're both great but on the Apple IE refurb page the v3 watches GPS, 42mm are going now for just €289

seems to me that there is very little point in spending another €150 over the v3 given that neither the esim nor the ecg features are possible in our backwater location, would anyone concur?

one thought I had was to buy one from the US site using Address Pal (which would come in @€;380) and at least get the ecg feature...anyone ever tried that with success?
    Depends, the 4 was a big jump with performance and design for me. The bigger screen was a nice addition. If price is important then maybe the 3 is the better option. It does depend on how much use it will be to you. I wear mine every day so the 4 was a nice upgrade.
    Don't think you can order from the US site, the VAT changes would probably be applied adding 23% + €8 to the price anyway.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I have a US model series 4 and I love it that much, so much in fact I won’t be upgrading to the 5 this year unless I can pick it up in the states if we make it over for a trip.

The ecg feature, while none of my doctors here will recognise the results, for my own peace of mind it’s invaluable.

DubDJ wrote: »
    Depends, the 4 was a big jump with performance and design for me. The bigger screen was a nice addition. If price is important then maybe the 3 is the better option. It does depend on how much use it will be to you. I wear mine every day so the 4 was a nice upgrade.
    Don't think you can order from the US site, the VAT changes would probably be applied adding 23% + €8 to the price anyway.

gah!
    I decided in the end to try for a 44mm v4 watch, I have Addresspal which worked fine at Christmastime & so I tried to buy on Apple.com & Bestbuy.com
    BUT there doesn't seem to be a way to complete the purchase even with Addresspal in the contact details it asks for a phone number & won't accept non-US...I just don't fancy giving it a fake number given the value of the item, I think I'm going to have to resort to EBAY.com if I want one as no visits planned to the states this year at least

btw I looked at GRABR...wow it's insanely expensive, I could almost buy a flight for the fee involved!? I don't think GRABR is meant for Apple watches :);)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

You do realise that adding 23% VAT and €16.50 AddressPal fee makes it more expensive than the Irish store? And that AddressPal will only insure it for €40?

whiterebel wrote: »
    You do realise that adding 23% VAT and €16.50 AddressPal fee makes it more expensive than the Irish store? And that AddressPal will only insure it for €40?

thanks @whiterebel
    yeah I know, isn’t a cost issue though here (mind it’s always nice to achieve cheaper where possible)
    My issue is that if I’m gonna lay out on a series 4 I want that watches ECG feature to be functional. and according to my research that’s a hardwiring issue, will only work on watches with US serials ie have US point of sale origin.
    effectively it’s geolocked by pos.
    but will function happily outside the US.
    if I had a trip coming up I’d be into an Apple store to buy one straightaway. amazed over this ECG affair, I’m fairly sure most sensible people would call their GP first (and not 999 because their watch told them to) if the watch starts to issue alerts!

Anyone looking for a Milanese loop for their space grey watch. I got this one in today:

https://www.amazon.com/HONEJEEN-Compatible-Stainless-Adjustable-Replacement/dp/B07M7W2CHQ

It’s the best matching one I have found so far. The finish is beadblasted so It’s matte but the colour isn’t an exact match. Slightly bluer tint to it.

The silver one should match the silver aluminium Watch even better.

It does come with a case but it’s not for the 4. Still a good price even if the case isn’t going to be used.

Anyone looking for a Milanese loop for their space grey watch. I got this one in today:

https://www.amazon.com/HONEJEEN-Compatible-Stainless-Adjustable-Replacement/dp/B07M7W2CHQ

It’s the best matching one I have found so far. The finish is beadblasted so It’s matte but the colour isn’t an exact match. Slightly bluer tint to it.

The silver one should match the silver aluminium Watch even better.

It does come with a case but it’s not for the 4. Still a good price even if the case isn’t going to be used.

Okay… I got this out in the sun and it’s way too blue. So scratch what I said. The search continues…

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Heard about this because Tim quoted/responded to it.

https://twitter.com/iraflatow/status/1103463225750896640

Heard about this because Tim quoted/responded to it.

https://twitter.com/iraflatow/status/1103463225750896640

well that's great to hear
    so again I'd love to know what the issue is here (I suspect €€€ as always) as in my view the watch can only be helpful

like in my way of thinking you're never going to expect to rely on the watch 100%...
    if someone unfortunately died of a heart attack whilst wearing one but it didn't alert I can't imagine the family trying to sue Apple over it?
    similarly if the watch starts chirping false alerts & you goto A&E & its subsequently shown in A&E that the watch lied, so what?

I'd rather have the feature than not

well that's great to hear
    so again I'd love to know what the issue is here (I suspect €€€ as always) as in my view the watch can only be helpful

like in my way of thinking you're never going to expect to rely on the watch 100%...
    if someone unfortunately died of a heart attack whilst wearing one but it didn't alert I can't imagine the family trying to sue Apple over it?
    similarly if the watch starts chirping false alerts & you goto A&E & its subsequently shown in A&E that the watch lied, so what?

I'd rather have the feature than not

what issue are you refering to? the lack of an ECG function outside of the states?

The post above has nothing to do with the ECG...this is simply just the heart rate monitor!

eeloe wrote: »
    what issue are you refering to? the lack of an ECG function outside of the states?

The post above has nothing to do with the ECG...this is simply just the heart rate monitor!

er sorry eeloe, not being pedantic or argumentative but where in that twitter thread does it say the ECG feature wasn't involved? where does it say its hrm?

If you've used the ECG you'd know the way it works.

Getting an alert of a high heart rate of 200bpm, comes from, you guessed it....the heart rate monitor, not the ECG.

If you're having an issue where your heart rate is over 120bpm for 10 minutes while you're stationary, you'll get the alert from the HRM long before you even get a chance to perform an ECG.

All the ECG will do is take a HR Reading, and say if your heart beat is in sinus rhythm or A-fib.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

er sorry eeloe, not being pedantic or argumentative but where in that twitter thread does it say the ECG feature wasn't involved? where does it say its hrm?

AN ECG is nothing to with heart beats per minute.

So all our watches can detect a dangerously rapid heartbeat and warn you.

ECG measures rhythm and electrical activity in your heart which is different to BPM.

ECG on Apple Watch is not yet approved by Irish/ EU medical boards for use.

This is the correct process and applies to all medical devices. It will eventually get approved. When is the question.

• Advertisement

thanks, this is why I love good old boards! (very few places online anymore you can learn practicalities so quickly)

so what harm could it do for the watch to operate with this ECG feature enabled on my wrist in Ireland without the approval of the Irish/EU medical boards exactly?

thanks, this is why I love good old boards! (very few places online anymore you can learn practicalities so quickly)

so what harm could it do for the watch to operate with this ECG feature enabled on my wrist in Ireland without the approval of the Irish/EU medical boards exactly?

No harm what so ever. If you bought a USA Apple Watch the ecg will work here regardless of any approval.

If you bought an Apple Watch outside the USA and tried to use the ecg in the USA it won’t work.

As you can see it makes as much sense as a chocolate tea pot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭OU812

Heading to the US this summer & going to upgrade to a 4. If I was going after the 5 is due to come out I would have held off. I suspect sleep monitoring will be the next upgrade (although auto sleep works great)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

OU812 wrote: »
    Heading to the US this summer & going to upgrade to a 4. If I was going after the 5 is due to come out I would have held off. I suspect sleep monitoring will be the next upgrade (although auto sleep works great)

Isn’t sleep monitoring a software feature rather than hardware?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

murpho999 wrote: »

Im sure there’s more chips you can add that would be less of a battery hog on which is what I’d think Apple would do.

Apple bought beddit in the past couple of years too I’m guessing for their expertise and taking their time to embed into the watch.

I really dislike wearing a watch in bed so not sure I’d change for this feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,421 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I used to use sleep cycle before. Its an app for the iphone and basically you left the iphone under sheet and it would pick up vibrations etc when you moved. This was way back before the watch existed.
    With the launch of the watch the app was upgraded to instead use the watch and even this year they integrated snoring detection into the app.

I always took off the watch at night but I got used to it after a few nights and never had a problem. It was very accurate then as well...any morning I woke up feeling tired etc I could see from the data that I didn't have a good nights sleep etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Razor Russ

Yea. There are lots a third party apps out there. I use AutoSleep. It’s really good. Rumors are that Apple will introduce native sleep tracking soon.

Is €266 an okay price for a 44mm? Thinking of selling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,421 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Is €266 an okay price for a 44mm? Thinking of selling it.

for a series 4?

• Advertisement

Blazer wrote: »
    for a series 4?

Yeah. 6 months old. CEX are offering that for it. I know I could get a bit more on adverts. But adverts is such a hassle.

Advertisement