Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nurse saves Dublin bus driver's life

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,437 ✭✭✭tritium

Pter wrote: »
    I think the point is that based on her actions there are plenty of other adjectives that you could focus on, rather than boiling it down to ones focused on her appearance, which doesn't really have anything to do with her heroic deed.

Fair play to her. She had the skills to help and did. That's all any of us can do.

That’s unquestionably true, however if you hadn’t known all the details and clicked on the link (like I did), the first three photos in the article are of an attractive young woman dressed up as if socializing (before anyone jumps on it, she’s welcome to dress like that to do the gardening for all I care). Maybe a story focusing on her medical skills could have you know, had a picture of her as an actual nurse-especially since they appear to have scraped here social media for pictures: what are the odds there was nothing available there more in line with the article?

Of course that could just be symptomatic of a wider “toxic” “patriarchical”, (insert adjective) culture.

Except the journalist who wrote the piece is a woman.....

So maybe we shouldn’t be so quick to hate on folks here who too quickly reacted exactly as the story was designed to have them do. To my mind there’s probably two things we might want to debate, a wonderful act by a skilled nurse, and fairly lowbrow and gutterish journalism techniques

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 210 ✭✭Ted Johnson

Pter wrote: »
    I think the point is that based on her actions there are plenty of other adjectives that you could focus on, rather than boiling it down to ones focused on her appearance, which doesn't really have anything to do with her heroic deed.

Fair play to her. She had the skills to help and did. That's all any of us can do.

If it was a hot male doctor, women and gays would be gushing over him and there wouldn't be a word said

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

tritium wrote: »
    To my mind there’s probably two things we might want to debate, a wonderful act by a skilled nurse, and fairly lowbrow and gutterish journalism techniques

Was thinking the same things. Especially the latter.
    If it was a hot male doctor, women and gays would be gushing over him and there wouldn't be a word said

Hypothethicals are great because they cant be disproved.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Will she be paid overtime for this?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,072 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Most creeped on name on facebook yesterday me thinks. I had a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,298 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

The Rook wrote: »
    Jesus Christ lads, she saved a life, which is pretty much the peak of what you can do as a human being and the only things we can say are "Hello Nurse" , "Sexy Legend" "Would bang" , Wouldn't bang" ?

As a guy I can honestly say that it's a grim insight into the male psyche these days.

'these days'

You think it's a new thing?

Otherwise I fully agree with you

• Registered Users Posts: 20,631 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I heard on the radio on there was a bus driver who had a heart attack in Dublin City the other day , His life was saved by a quick thinking nurse who was on the bus

I seen the story in the paper this morning and no wonder the poor fella had a heart attack the nurse is absolutely stunning,

I honestly don't think iv ever seen a better looking nurse, who is obviously also very good at her job,

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/hero-nurse-24-who-saved-bus-drivers-life-to-be-nominated-for-bravery-award-37884046.html

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭homosapien91

This has been in the news all week and your just hearing about it now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I like how this thread started again on page 5. The circle of life in boards form.

Hello nurse???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,631 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

This has been in the news all week and your just hearing about it now

haha how did I miss this, to be fair I was down the country on holidays so wasn't keeping up with the news ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

Nurse does her job. That's what she's trained for.

No fair play to her , well done . If it was a Garda the comments would be the above no doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Nurse does her job. That's what she's trained for.

No fair play to her , well done . If it was a Garda the comments would be the above no doubt

If an off duty Garda saved a life I would equally say Well Done . A little appreciation goes a long way and doesn't cost anything

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

The Rook wrote: »
    Jesus Christ lads, she saved a life, which is pretty much the peak of what you can do as a human being and the only things we can say are "Hello Nurse" , "Sexy Legend" "Would bang" , Wouldn't bang" ?

As a guy I can honestly say that it's a grim insight into the male psyche these days.

True.

But would you?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Don't you know.

We live in a society where only stun huns and gays are allowed make innuendous comments about attractive people's appearances without getting censure.

Her quick thinking deserves all the publicity it gets. From my experience (however fleeting) of Dublin Bus, I wonder how many passengers were too ensconsed in their phones or had their headphones in not to even realise there was a medical emergency with the driver. And had it resulted in a collision, how many of them would be claiming compensation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

Just as well the driver wasn't locked inside his impenetrable compartment. As probably most of them are.

Especially since the nurse needed to take his foot off the accelerator to stop bus moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Just as well the driver wasn't locked inside his impenetrable compartment. As probably most of them are.

Especially since the nurse needed to take his foot off the accelerator to stop bus moving.

She hardly lifted a fully grown man in fairness.

Others helped get him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Don't you know.

We live in a society where only stun huns and gays are allowed make innuendous comments about attractive people's appearances without getting censure.

Her quick thinking deserves all the publicity it gets. From my experience (however fleeting) of Dublin Bus, I wonder how many passengers were too ensconsed in their phones or had their headphones in not to even realise there was a medical emergency with the driver. And had it resulted in a collision, how many of them would be claiming compensation?

She had to harang others into helping her lift the poor man out. Most people wilt in a crisis. Just put their heads down and do nothing.

This guy was very lucky that she was on the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I would quite happily let her take a series of heavy compressions on my chest.

Boston pancake.

I wouldn't have thought you'd be the type to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭Vic_08

If the attack screen had been closed it would have required the fire brigade with cutting equipment to get to the driver, the extra time in getting medical attention would have most likely been critical for his survival.

Buses are automatic, in gear without the brakes applied they will move forward without any pedal application, in the case of the driver being incapacitated it would require intervention or a solid object in the way to bring it to a halt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

She will be on the late late show on Friday, we can all see her beauty then.
    She is getting a medal for her heroics, its pays to be easy on the eye.
    Boards members will be faking heart attacks to get to the Mater to get the kiss of life from Nurse Aoife and no other nurse will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

tretorn wrote: »
    She is getting a medal for her heroics, its pays to be easy on the eye.

You think only attractive people get medals?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

She might make a career in "media" like that other nurse, Abi Titmuss, did. She could concentrate on the lads market

• Registered Users Posts: 18,269 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

tritium wrote: »
    Maybe a story focusing on her medical skills could have you know, had a picture of her as an actual nurse-especially since they appear to have scraped here social media for pictures: what are the odds there was nothing available there more in line with the article?

Pretty high probably, even if her workplace doesn't expressly forbid it a lot of people still make sure to keep their work and their social media very separate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

I didn't say she lifted him anywhere. The newspaper reported that she took his foot of the accelerator. That requires lifting his foot. Maybe the newspaper made that up. The whole incident might have been made up. I didn't witness the incident personally so I can only go by what the news reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭aristotle25

In all my experiences of nurses in different hospitals they are just brilliant professionals but also empathetic and caring.

I get nervous trying to fix my phone but these people can dig in and fix people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

Effects wrote: »
    You think only attractive people get medals?
    Only attractive nurses would get the media attention and media attention leads to being nominated for bravery award the day after driver has heart attack.
    If nurse was middle aged with no make up on it would be nothing to see here.
    Has anyone mentioned the bus driver and how hes doing, is he white, male, straight, nothing to see here either.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

She is a credit to her profession.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

In all my experiences of nurses in different hospitals they are just brilliant professionals but also empathetic and caring.

I get nervous trying to fix my phone but these people can dig in and fix people!
    "The nurses are great Joe. None of them spend their time sitting on their arse having extended coffee breaks"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

tretorn wrote: »
    Only attractive nurses would get the media attention and media attention leads to being nominated for bravery award the day after driver has heart attack.
    If nurse was middle aged with no make up on it would be nothing to see here.
    Has anyone mentioned the bus driver and how hes doing, is he white, male, straight, nothing to see here either.

rubbish

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/1019/1005330-national-bravery-awards/

The common denominator was not beauty , it was bravery

Advertisement