Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Boards Golf society Portmarnock Hotel & Golf Links Feb 23th 12.00pm

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Have to post the pic you took of me getting out of it!!!

Really enjoyed yesterday, great course, great company and some great golf.
    Hadn’t a great round myself, started ok but the usual inconsistent golf came back. Had a few pars but too many scratches cost me a score. Still, I enjoyed it and isn’t that what it’s all supposed to be about.

That's actually the NTP hole I posted, 11th I think, I missed your first few gos on the 17th bunker but got you on #3 with ball just above the flag :p

2zji1ix.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭a post punk

Thanks to benny for a great start and to my playing partners doublecross and golfgraffix who gave us great pointers going around the course(which would be great if i could actually get the ball off the ground!!)I thinkgolfgraffix summed my day up when offered me a hug after my ball lands 2 inches in front of a bunker from my drive, only to hit it straight into the bunker for the 2nd.........No excuses for bad golf I just could not not hit the ball on the bare lie so it was a struggle on a perfect day and setting for an enjoyable round.
    Back to the range for me to pick it up for Athy and make that Jug team again this year.

The Optimist:)

PP

Mabye Break80 will post the picture he has of another great tiger escape to add to his reputation!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Oh, meant to mention, great to see the bunkers being rebuilt, too many times they are left alone too long and pull the course down

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

slave1 wrote: »
    That's actually the NTP hole I posted, 11th I think, I missed your first few gos on the 17th bunker but got you on #3 with ball just above the flag :p

2zji1ix.jpg

Only took me one shot to get out of the bunker

But two to get into it!! 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Rainbow Warrior

Thanks Capt Benny for organising the golf at a beautiful course. Oh and thanks for sorting out the weather as well as the last few holes in were spectacular in the sun. Great craic with my playing partners and a lot of fantastic shots played. Looking forward to Athy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,068 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

slave1 wrote: »
    LOL, there’s a lot I haven’t played but in terms of links just RCD and St Anne’s and I’ve them all done

Fixdepitch will get you out at St Anne's if you ask him nicely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭SEORG

A great first outing of the year, thanks to Capt Benny & everyone else involved for the organizing.
    Congrats to GolfGraffix on the win with a great score.
    The course was a great test and we got lucky with the weather too. I had some good golf mixed in with some not so good.
    Thanks to my playing partners gypsy79, Rainbow Warrior & The Big Easy for the great company going around. Looking forward to Athy.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Break80

Mabye Break80 will post the picture he has of another great tiger escape to add to his reputation!!

Tiger has the pic.
    I reckon he was no more than 18 inches from the steepest part of the face of the bunker in front of the 17th.
    Up it went, landed on the fringe and then shot forward to about 10ft.
    Getting it out was a miracle in itself but I'm
    stumped how he got it to shoot forward.
    Shot of the day in our group and that's with me holding out from 115yds and Rositer finishing to 8 inches from another bunker

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Really enjoyed it, even if i played terribly. Course was in great condition, and i got very familiar with the bunkers. The last few holes are excellent, and really close it off well. Looking forward to Athy.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭tigerwood1

I toke this photo beforehand, unfortunately I don't have any evidence that I didn't do a hamelot. The lads tell me it somehow had forward spin when it landed on the green. Good practice for St Andrews.
    Congrats to benny on a great start to his captaincy we were blessed with the weather. Had a great laugh on course especially with kennethrhcp commentary going down the 18th(move over mcginley).

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭tigerwood1

17th portmarnock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭newindublin

Great course, tough day for me. Really one of my worst rounds in quite a while, every quality shot was matched with an equally bad one to follow, just could never get in on a roll.

Thanks to my group, pakman TheChamp26 Golfhead65 were all excellent to play with.

Will miss the next outing as I on vacation then, but I should be able to make the rest. Looking forward to redemption!

tigerwood1 wrote: »
    17th portmarnock
    You can frame that 1 Tiger :)

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭pakman

Fantastic course and great company for the whole round. I'll have night terrors about those bunkers for some time but the course was amazing and particularly when the sun came out.

Looking forward to the next outing to redeem myself somewhat and prove I can actually hit a golf ball. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭kennethrhcp

I toke this photo beforehand, unfortunately I don't have any evidence that I didn't do a hamelot. The lads tell me it somehow had forward spin when it landed on the green. Good practice for St Andrews.
    Congrats to benny on a great start to his captaincy we were blessed with the weather. Had a great laugh on course especially with kennethrhcp commentary going down the 18th(move over mcginley).

yer side bet was great as everyone still had a chance on 18. you being 1 point clear & I think the lads both had a shot on the hole & you didn't... we'll make the screenplay & win an Oscar with it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭kennethrhcp

17th portmarnock

I was there & saw it happen... & still don't know how Tiger got the ball to where he did!!! unreal shot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Hope to make Athy, I do have a clash wheras there is family thing on but I'll try build up the brownie points between now and then, different test to Port but not like a normal parkland course,Athy plays hard and fast most of the time..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭OS_Head

I played off 14 on the day. I hadn't got my GUI handicap from the cards I left in to Elmgreen last Wednesday. I got it today, so it's 22 now. Do I get my score from Portmarnock reviewed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭benny79

OS_Head wrote: »
    I played off 14 on the day. I hadn't got my GUI handicap from the cards I left in to Elmgreen last Wednesday. I got it today, so it's 22 now. Do I get my score from Portmarnock reviewed?

No Unfortunately not but your handicap will be reviewed for next outing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭OS_Head

benny79 wrote: »
    No Unfortunately not but your handicap will be reviewed for next outing

No bother, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

First 18 holes in a long time for me and hopefully the round that gets me back loving the game after a 2 year break more or less. Started off very slow but was delighted around the 7th to start picking up and striking the ball better and was even happier to get a decent drive away on 6 and a good put a good back 9 together.
    Overall great day out with good company the whole way round , none of us lit it up but there was some good golf mixed in by all of us and the craic was mighty.
    Any chance of a full leaderboard going up soon?
    Looking forward to Athy already
    Thanks for the great day Benny and congrats GolfGraffix on the home win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

OS_Head wrote: »

Member there too. I am in Morocco for the ashy outing but hope to make the European so definitely introduce yerself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Sorry it’s taken so long to post, it’s been a hectic few days.

I am delighted that everyone enjoyed the course, it is nice to play when the wind is not howling, the rough is cut back and the suns was almost shining. Greens were slick so there was a little bite to the course.

Well done to Benny on all the organisation, I know from past experience that it can be a lot of work getting everybody out and paid up.

Having not played in the society for almost 18 months it was nice to meet up with old friends and to meet some new ones.

I know it was very un-sportsmanlike to win on my home course but I did try my best with a scratch on the last to lose it. I had my own Sergio moment in the newly deepened right side fairway bunker (after what I thought was a great drive) par would have given me 40 !!!

Really enjoyed the group of Benny, Doublecross and A Post Punk. A great run of 6 pars for Doublecross combined with two birdies was some golf. two loose holes cost him a good placing (that and a + handicap on the day). Benny was solid but just couldn’t get the score going. Poor A Post Punk had one of those days, fair play to him for sticking with it.

With the next one on Patricks weekend I won’t make it but will for the month after.

Looking forward to a good a year and hopefully a spot on the Ryder Jug team.

J

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

With the next one on Patricks weekend I won’t make it but will for the month after.

The one after is Easter which I am sure will make it difficult for some too
    Looking forward to a good a year and hopefully a spot on the Ryder Jug team.
    Does anyone produce the latest scores on this table?? Near meaningless after one I know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Super day, super course. Played with alanm, macker and kiith.

I started well but went through an abysmal patch in the middle, caused by my refusal to take my medicine when I got into trouble. Birdy on 17 was a highlight which got me a few quid back. Couldn’t convert a makeable eagle putt on 6, but made birdy there too. Alanm had a great game, he was unlucky not to place better, but scratched one or two late in the round. His short game is to die for, and he has picked up some new found distance and accuracy with a recent driver switch. I’m definitely worried about meeting him in our mini winter match play series! Marker ran into some early bunker trouble which put him on the back foot right from the start. Coming back to golf after a break kiith had good shots mixed with bad and lacked consistency on the day. He’s a powerful striker, and once he gets a bit more golf in better scoring is around the corner.

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Does anyone produce the latest scores on this table?? Near meaningless after one I know

drumroll please ……….

474145.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Untitled-20.png

Back to scratch, hahaha, looser! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭doublecross

RoadRunner wrote: »
    Untitled-20.png

Back to scratch, hahaha, looser! :D

Thank god we deal in .5's and not .1's

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Asimo1

By not having an official GUI handicap. I got assigned HC 14 for the day to see where I am at. Wondering after my terrible performance (worst in years) it's now at 14.5. will this be adjusted for the next outings? Like to a HC which is something more realistic. 😂 Of course I play normally better than last weekend. Especially on the days I don't get struck by Golf Balls in the shoulder on the 2nd tee. About 95+ strokes.

Asimo1 wrote: »
    By not having an official GUI handicap. I got assigned HC 14 for the day to see where I am at. Wondering after my terrible performance (worst in years) it's now at 14.5. will this be adjusted for the next outings? Like to a HC which is something more realistic. �� Of course I play normally better than last weekend. Especially on the days I don't get struck by Golf Balls in the shoulder on the 2nd tee. About 95+ strokes.

yes handicaps are constantly monitored and will be reviewed ahead of each outing based on previous performance and GUI

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭pakman

Asimo1 wrote: »
    By not having an official GUI handicap. I got assigned HC 14 for the day to see where I am at. Wondering after my terrible performance (worst in years) it's now at 14.5. will this be adjusted for the next outings? Like to a HC which is something more realistic. �� Of course I play normally better than last weekend. Especially on the days I don't get struck by Golf Balls in the shoulder on the 2nd tee. About 95+ strokes.

Yeah, sorry about that again. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Asimo1

pakman wrote: »
    Yeah, sorry about that again. :(

No worries Pakman, I am still alive and smiling. Also I had a "good" excuse for that bad round.