Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anthem

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Finished the main game just there so onto the hard stuff now.

Oddly the best mission in the game is a side mission from Yarrow that has 3 different objectives. Took about 20 minutes to finish it.

More of that please.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Finished the main game just there so onto the hard stuff now.

Oddly the best mission in the game is a side mission from Yarrow that has 3 different objectives. Took about 20 minutes to finish it.

More of that please.

Agreed
    Thats what the contract system is all about at endgame.
    Sadly too many people wont se this and are going to judge this game based on their frustrations of playing through the first hours.

Im biased towards looter games so i just had to force myself through towards the endgame to form a proper opinion and am glad i did as there is loads to do and with the loot i feel like im playing diablo in a flying mech suit :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭KilOit

Just want to get Max level asap. Have been doing stronghold and missions only for xp, is open world good for xp?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

How does the grind work in this game? Is it similar to Destiny 2 where you really need to be keeping up with dailies/weeklies to gear up or is it more just play what you like when you like?

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

Dcully wrote: »
    Agreed
    Thats what the contract system is all about at endgame.
    Sadly too many people wont se this and are going to judge this game based on their frustrations of playing through the first hours.

Im biased towards looter games so i just had to force myself through towards the endgame to form a proper opinion and am glad i did as there is loads to do and with the loot i feel like im playing diablo in a flying mech suit :D

When you say there is loads to do, is there any activities outside of the contracts and strongholds that we didn't know about prior to launch? Not looking for spoilers or anything, just relieved to hear the endgame sounds a bit more substantial than I had anticipated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Flashdan

The best way to get XP it seems is to do Strongholds. This is because of the feats. You are more likely to do more Multi Kills etc in a strong hold and they are the things to give you the bonus XP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GK63EwohWU

How does the grind work in this game? Is it similar to Destiny 2 where you really need to be keeping up with dailies/weeklies to gear up or is it more just play what you like when you like?

Dailies and weeklies are are more for loyalty and xp, the loyalty goes towards faction reputation which unlocks blueprints for crafting [handy but not essential] and also coin for cosmetic items.

It is more play when you like as loot is totally random,no grinding X amount of this or that to get X weapon or gear.
    Just play when you like and gear will drop,its a system almost identical to diablo.

When you say there is loads to do, is there any activities outside of the contracts and strongholds that we didn't know about prior to launch? Not looking for spoilers or anything, just relieved to hear the endgame sounds a bit more substantial than I had anticipated.

Ive done strongholds and legendary contracts so far only on hard difficulty as im not lvl 30 yet, legendary contracts from what i see are infinite and random with different randomized stages to them.
    A fter that you work towards unlocking grand master 1,2 and 3 again similar to diablo.
    If indeed legendary contracts are infinite they will function like Monster Hunter World expeditions which is great.
    So its strongholds,legendary contracts and freeplay with world events and random events, each one scaling according to difficulty your running and thus reflected in loot.
    Im guessing i wont see any master work drops until Grand Master.

Seriously , if anyone is even half interested in loot endgame, push through the boring campaign, the real fun starts then.
    So much loot which opens things up for so many different builds per javelin.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

Dcully wrote: »
    Dailies and weeklies are are more for loyalty and xp, the loyalty goes towards faction reputation which unlocks blueprints for crafting [handy but not essential] and also coin for cosmetic items.

It is more play when you like as loot is totally random,no grinding X amount of this or that to get X weapon or gear.
    Just play when you like and gear will drop,its a system almost identical to diablo.

Ive done strongholds and legendary contracts so far only on hard difficulty as im not lvl 30 yet, legendary contracts from what i see are infinite and random with different randomized stages to them.
    A fter that you work towards unlocking grand master 1,2 and 3 again similar to diablo.
    If indeed legendary contracts are infinite they will function like Monster Hunter World expeditions which is great.
    So its strongholds,legendary contracts and freeplay with world events and random events, each one scaling according to difficulty your running and thus reflected in loot.
    Im guessing i wont see any master work drops until Grand Master.

Seriously , if anyone is even half interested in loot endgame, push through the boring campaign, the real fun starts then.
    So much loot which opens things up for so many different builds per javelin.

Definitely sounds like it's taking more inspiration from Diablo where the endgame will come from replaying existing content on higher difficulties and tinkering with builds, and that's fine by me as It keeps older content relevant.

I do hope the cataclysms feature mechanics that stretch beyond what we have seen so far though, it would be nice to have some aspirational content that requires a bit more thought than simply maxing DPS output.

There is a lot unexplained some inexplicably so (Combos, Damage types/Damage components)

Some weapons say primer or detonator and some dont, for anyone unsure a Homing Missile and the Sticky grenade for the Ranger are guaranteed combos. The combo system in a squad can devastate some of the big lads very quickly.

Just no one seems to know the exact method for it, it is not explained at all in some cases.

From my play trus with squad on TS.

A Storm elemental primer followed by a colossus AOE detonator and the rangers Primer or even Detonator again if they still tagged does mega damage, i am guessing this will be important in the strongholds.

We mostly have Ranger and 2 Storms and a colossus, not sure what the actual point of the interceptor is, seems to require a death wish to play or the need to be constantly revived.

not sure what the actual point of the interceptor is, seems to require a death wish to play or the need to be constantly revived.

I think they are making changes for the 22nd for the interceptor. Like the one that gave Ranger some armor Piercing abilities.

I really like this, helps out with buildsanthem_combos_primers_detonators_3.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

20 hours in and I've tried Solo, teamed with friends and pubs, ran a Stronghold and spent a few hours in Freeplay. The parts I like are the ones I least expected to in a Bioware title and conversely those I hate are what they are usually great at.

The base mechanics are great. Learning the terrain and how to efficiently fly with the heat/cooling process is a joy. Combat is fantastic, I started as and have stayed Interceptor (and to a comment above have only had to be res'd once so far, there may have been whiskey involved :) ) and now the movement is starting to really click for me it's great to spin through horders stabbing/dodging/flying/melting in a synchronised blur. Bioware this is not (usually).

Tarsis and any social aspects are a complete failure. I mean....it's Bioware..... this is what they normally knock out of the park and it's all so badly designed and mashed together with mostly pointless discussions and surprisingly bad voice acting on most of the characters. Like pretty much everyone so far has said it's just a chore, a delay in getting back to the good stuff that they insist on making you endure between every mission. They absolutely have to start giving us the options to stay in open world and ideally trigger any other in-q missions while there at the end of each. Especially since the loading is so ridiculous (I mean it even has a loading screen to/from the Forge ffs :( ). That alone would make the game a LOT more enjoyable imho. Right now it feels like segments of excellence in between clunky delay mechanisms and since you are already in the game world technically it should not be hard to do. It's always possible it was a deliberate decision to slow us down, try and extend perceived playtime when there isn't enough actual mission content.

Personally I think it's too early to judge longevity of End-Game content. From what I've seen it's no different from any of the other looter-shooters in having a few tougher Raid-lites and recycling content into a playlist that just ups difficulty. That will work for a while but then it'll be down to whether you like the base gameplay while you're running through it or not rather than novelty. I might be wrong though, will have to see after a lot more time is spent by the community.

Overall I do really like it, and if you aren't budget constrained would recommend a buy but right now that's based on getting good bang-for-the buck on one main playthrough and maybe 20 hours or so end-game. I don't see myself sticking with this longer than a month, but again time will tell.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

One major issue i'm having is random loss of controls. Mouse seems to freeze, and my character will keep moving in whatever direction he was moving in. Seems like lag, but nothing else lags...just my controls. Really frustrating at times.

That info graph explains more than the entire Cortex does :D

Also I have tried to join a few of you, it doesnt seem to work from Origin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

That info graph explains more than the entire Cortex does :D

Also I have tried to join a few of you, it doesnt seem to work from Origin.

Matchmaking is a bit quirky, it sends the invite via the Origin overlay. So if anyone has that disabled they won't see it to respond to. I had the most success when we were simply all on Discord giving a heads up the invite was coming.

If you need an extra person I am free from about 9pm, FlasheartX is my Origin name. I am a bit old and crap but I do try hard :D

Did the first stronghold there, and it was brilliant. Set it to hard, and i thought we made a mistake, as we coulnd't even get past the first room. Stuck with it and actually started working together properly, and got through it nicely after that. Really enjoyable.

As i said earlier, when the game works, it works damn well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭KilOit

Only level 19 and no more missions are showing and sick of the 1 stronghold over and over again. I just want level 30, freeplay is rubbish xp unless I'm doing something wrong

XP in freeplay isn't great from what i can see, but i may also being doing it wrong. Missions seems the best bang for your buck, especially on hard mode.

On the Trials thing now. No interest in having to do some of these.

That 1st Strong hold hard was intense, the turrets :(

I was on comms with a colossus but our 2 random storms kept trying to solo. In fairness they didnt quit and after a few restarts stuck with us. Very enjoyable.

Few times i thought as its over now......nope more turrets and legendary scars!!!

The search for the "End-Game" continues.

What ever happened to the search for the start / middle game.

PC Gamer not impressed with this

https://www.pcgamer.com/anthem-review/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Started my 10 hours on Xbox last night. Playing about 2 hours. I liked how the game starts, I like the combat and the game looks and sounds amazing. Lip syncing and voice acting is very good. It is early days for me, but I am enjoying it alot so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Just played another 2 missions last night, still enjoying it anyway , must setup the Comms , la k of text chat annoys me

Day One Update. More to come as well apparently.

High level fixes
    • Improved loading times
    • Fixed many infinite loading screens
    • Fixed multiple challenges not tracking properly
    • A number of issues have been fixed that were causing players to disconnect or crash
    • Weapons and gear now have numbers present for modifiers
    General Fixes and Improvements
    • Loot Reveal and Expedition Summary now correctly play during the end of expedition screen.
    • The gather party mechanic has been made more lenient in a number of situations
    • At the end of expedition screen players will no longer get stuck on "Recording Victories" or "Skipping All".
    • Game no longer hangs in Javelin menu when unlocking the second, third or fourth javelin
    • During the mission “What Freelancers Do” dying after killing Junkmaw & freeing Arcanists leaves you unable to progress, this has been fixed
    • Challenges now unlock for players at the correct levels
    • Fixed some camera issues during cutscenes
    • Legendary Contracts can now be accepted from the Social Hub contract board
    • Some enemies have had their shield values decreased
    • Loot now properly drops for players who are downed
    • The texture quality on the NPC Prospero has been improved
    • Final boss of strongholds now drop loot instead of only being shown on the end of expedition screen
    • Fixed the time outs on echoes and relics to prevent griefing and to handle disconnections properly
    • Players can no longer fall through the floor during the 3rd trial in the Fortress of Dawn
    • Completing the tutorial expedition will now show the correct Ranger appearance
    • After disconnecting, rejoining an expedition will now place you back into a squad if you were in one previously
    • Corrected an issue where players could not interact with each other in the launch bay in certain circumstances
    • Corrected an issue during the Mission "Bad Deal" where outlaws won't spawn, blocking progress
    • The start of expedition screen has been improved
    • Addressed a variety of situations where killing enemies does not properly progress world events
    • Opening a chest now increments Tomb of the Legionnaire progress for all squad members present
    • Scar snipers can no longer shoot through Storm Shield
    • Corrected an issue where players would get stuck on the end of expedition screen in some situations
    • Players will no longer get disconnected if joining the "Finding Old Friends" mission while the cinematic is playing
    • Addressed a number of situations where players can get stuck on the environment in the launch bay
    • Increased the damage of the electric status effect
    • Corrected an issue where the Shield of Dawn could be crafted with less materials then intended in some situations
    • The Platinum Mission feat now grants completion as intended
    • Status effects can more reliably be applied to Titans
    Strongholds
    • Fixed an issue that would cause a Stronghold server crash after defeating the last boss
    • Temple of Scar - Players can no longer get stuck in the mined tunnel in the explosives room
    • Temple of Scar - Players can no longer be blocked from entering the explosives room due to fog wall
    • Fixed Tyrant Mine so people that join the stronghold in-progress do not end up locked away from their team
    • Adjusted lighting in Tyrant Mine underwater section to make it easier to navigate to the exit
    • The Swarm Tyrant will no longer get stuck in the side cave entrances in some situations
    • Corrected an issue where players would spawn into different areas of the Tyrant Mine in certain situations
    Gear and Weapons
    • After having 1st pilot unlock suit after tutorials, creating a new pilot and going to forge no longer causes load screen hang
    • Ice damage bonuses are now correctly applied on ice gear
    • Suit-wide bonuses from inscription are now functioning properly
    • Players can no longer salvage equipped items
    • Javelin specific gear and/or weapons are no longer able to be used on javelins they aren't intended for
    • Corrected an issue where in some circumstances Masterwork Components do not have any inscriptions
    • The Endless Siege Masterwork Autocannon no longer displays a damage increase of 0% in its tooltip
    Javelins
    • The Colossus javelin is now able to activate its shield more quickly after using an ability or firing a weapon
    • The Storm javelin now reacts to getting hit when its shields are up
    • Fixed an exploit that allowed the Storm's ultimate attack to be used more times than intended
    • The Colossus javelin can now shield and revive at the same time
    • Interceptor Combo Aura has been increased in power and now has a damage over time component
    Crafting
    • Non-Masterwork materials purchased from the crafting store now show as their proper rarity instead of incorrectly showing as Masterwork
    Controls
    • Additional Mouse and Keyboard control improvements have been made
    UI
    • Some conversations were not popping up the reputation points post conversation completion, this has been fixed
    • The squad screen now displays the correct information for each player
    • Fixed a number of issues where subtitles will no longer get stuck on the screen after dialogue has finished as often
    • Settings should no longer reset upon exiting and restarting the game on Xbox One
    • Motion blur can now correctly be turned off
    • The Electric Status Effect now shows scaled damage properly
    • An option has been added to hide the Squad Member HUD
    • The edge of the compass will now pulse to indicate enemy locations
    • A notification has been added in Fort Tarsis if a player's vault is at the cap of 250 items
    • On the "Repair the Strider" step of "A Cry for Help" the search radar has been adjusted to correctly lead the player to all 4 tools
    • Primer and Detonator icons have been added to all Interceptor gear
    • Corrected a user interface issue where a player’s ultimate would show as available when it isn't

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

This a patch that was released today?

That's an impressive patch list tbf

Starting to get masterwok drops once i hit Grand Master 1 and wow they make some difference.
    Some masterwork weapons already but the best so far has to be the colossus component that for 20 seconds after a combo all ability damage after that is increased by 40% , considering im constantly getting combos on my colossus with the lighting coil/flamethrower build, its insane now explosions everywhere :)

Started with my storm javelin now too and got a masterwork drop already for him too.
    Very interesting loot so far with very impressive masterwork bonuses and affects.

Anthem_Screenshot_2019.02.19_-_12.50.52.19.png?width=1230&height=692

Looking forward to unlocking the Colossus next. Started with Ranger, which was fine, and then went to the Storm, which is great fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

The search for the "End-Game" continues.

What ever happened to the search for the start / middle game.

PC Gamer not impressed with this

https://www.pcgamer.com/anthem-review/

Always hear it. "Well as long as the endgame is good.."

That bit of the game that holds no interest at all as its just a grind..

Division was like that,i really enjoyed the game,played through a few missions a couple of times to up the gear for the Dark Zone,dark zone was broken ,finished the story and I think played Survivor for a while.. but the "End game" is not for me..id have rathered more story stuff..

Unsurprisingly ill be giving this game a miss..as it doesn't seem to have interesting story stuff in it...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Do I need to get a controller or is it playable with keyboard and mouse? Has anyone made any drastic changes to the settings that are worth doing?

I'm looking forward to playing it on Friday, it's great to see all the improvements they have made so far.

• Advertisement

Runs perfectly with mouse and keyboard. I increased the flight and swimming sensitivity a bit, but probably isn't required.

Advertisement