Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Looks like Marina Park is finally, potentially, possibly, maybe, could be going ahead.

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Marina-Park-could-see-construction-begin-next-month-c1bd5da9-2f96-4a82-b09a-c6e848d80a2c-ds

Long Twitter thread with the plans here as well

https://twitter.com/CorkCraneCount/status/1095766748958203904?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

marno21 wrote: »
    The gardens along that part of the Wilton Road are enormous. If you CPO'd the whole gardens on both sides you could probably triple the width of the road.

True, I lived in a house share near the credit union on the outbound side, the front garden parked 4 cars parallel to the road with a fifth pulled in perpendicular behind them if needed. Taking half the front garden would still allow parking 3 cars. The back garden was also huge, nearly twice the size of the front, so houses there would still have above average garden space if there was a CPO.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Yes, it'll be change, and some disruption for those houses.. But doesn't have to be life changing,( and they will be compensated).
    Corks biggest challenge is going to be public transport.. As the city grows it becomes not just possible to have a better service, but essential.
    And while I think it should be a bus based system, (we'll be 30 years waiting for a single luas style líne), we can't just rely on the old city bus routes operated by bus Éireann,( i think Apple have had so many issues getting staff up to hollyhill that they've laid on their own bus..)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Markcheese wrote: »
    Yes, it'll be change, and some disruption for those houses.. But doesn't have to be life changing,( and they will be compensated).
    Corks biggest challenge is going to be public transport.. As the city grows it becomes not just possible to have a better service, but essential.
    And while I think it should be a bus based system, (we'll be 30 years waiting for a single luas style líne), we can't just rely on the old city bus routes operated by bus Éireann,( i think Apple have had so many issues getting staff up to hollyhill that they've laid on their own bus..)

Someone in another thread mentioned that more people in Dublin cycle their commute than use Luas, Dart and train combined. Proper cycle infrastructure can be quite cheap in comparison to public transport. It seems to me that it'd be possible to get big wins that way. At the moment though, the councils don't seem to be well equipped to design such infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Someone in another thread mentioned that more people in Dublin cycle their commute than use Luas, Dart and train combined. Proper cycle infrastructure can be quite cheap in comparison to public transport. It seems to me that it'd be possible to get big wins that way. At the moment though, the councils don't seem to be well equipped to design such infrastructure.

Well this is completely and utterly untrue.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/report-shows-record-number-of-people-using-public-transport-to-commute-into-dublin-844438.html

12,447 Cycling
    107,160 Public Transport

• Advertisement

Tomtom364 wrote: »

https://irishcycle.com/2017/07/30/more-residents-commute-by-bicycle-than-by-luas-and-dart-in-dublin-city-and-suburbs/

Census 2016 apparently disagrees:
    Census 2016 results show that that 54,009 people put cycling down as their main mode of transport to work and education, while 50,970 people use Luas, Dart, and Commuter Rail.

I would say there's a significant difference between both figures (yours and mine)! Probably need one of us to actually look at the census. I suspect your figure includes bus users though?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,297 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The City Council/NTA actually counts people entering the City Centre, which is basically an island, via the bridges. The census asks people about their commuting behavior and includes people who don't cross the canals to commute to work.

cgcsb wrote: »
    The City Council/NTA actually counts people entering the City Centre, which is basically an island, via the bridges. The census asks people about their commuting behavior and includes people who don't cross the canals to commute to work.

I'm not sure if you mean Cork or Dublin but the point stands: different survey methods.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,297 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I'm not sure if you mean Cork or Dublin but the point stands: different survey methods.

Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

Tomtom364 wrote: »

The figure for public transport includes buses I presume

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

mire wrote: »
    The figure for public transport includes buses I presume

Yes, But that figured includes 11,953 Luas Trips alone which nearly matches the cycling figure before other rail is considered.

Separate report on same study link

As already highlighted the two studies followed much different criteria so probably shouldn't be compared in hindsight.

The Census figures would be taking into account people that work/attend education outside of the city centre which would generally tend to be a shorter commute.
    Does anyone know what age the census would start recording peoples movements as id imagine secondary school pupils traveling to school by bicycle would be giving the cycling figures a hefty bump if they are included.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Looks brilliant! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Jesus really gives you an idea of the scale of the North Docks developments in relation to the rest of the city. If you included the completed Navigation Square and a Carey’s Tool development on the south docks you’d be looking at dramatic alteration to the city scape. While none of these are on a different scale to Dublin developments they have a much bigger impact on Cork due to its relatively small size.

Looks nice.
    But it could be a missed opportunity to not have a covered passageway for pedestrians directly from the new Kent entrance to the quay without having to go around the building.

snotboogie wrote: »
    Jesus really gives you an idea of the scale of the North Docks developments in relation to the rest of the city. If you included the completed Navigation Square and a Carey’s Tool development on the south docks you’d be looking at dramatic alteration to the city scape. While none of these are on a different scale to Dublin developments they have a much bigger impact on Cork due to its relatively small size.

Someone said to me at the weekend that this is going to be a hotel??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

Looks nice.
    But it could be a missed opportunity to not have a covered passageway for pedestrians directly from the new Kent entrance to the quay without having to go around the building.

Missed opportunity to so something about the curved intercity platforms. They're really bad in terms of the huge gap.

I'm sure there must have been some possibility of straightening them out - there's loads of space and most trains actually terminate at Kent Station. It's a throwback to the days when Cobh was still a major transatlantic port and they continued through Kent Station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Steer55

Anyone know why the housing development opposite the Neptune has seemingly ground to a halt?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

EdgeCase wrote: »
    Missed opportunity to so something about the curved intercity platforms. They're really bad in terms of the huge gap.

I'm sure there must have been some possibility of straightening them out - there's loads of space and most trains actually terminate at Kent Station. It's a throwback to the days when Cobh was still a major transatlantic port and they continued through Kent Station.

Kent is a protected structure and the curved roof in particular is pretty unique in terms of railway architecture. Straightening the platform would fundamentally alter the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

leahyl wrote: »
    Someone said to me at the weekend that this is going to be a hotel??

I heard a multi-storey carpark. :D The rumour mill really has gone into overdrive.

• Advertisement

who_me wrote: »
    I heard a multi-storey carpark. :D The rumour mill really has gone into overdrive.

Jeez hopefully it’s not a car park! :-D what a waste of space that would be!

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Kent is a protected structure and the curved roof in particular is pretty unique in terms of railway architecture. Straightening the platform would fundamentally alter the station.

It's pretty unique in the way it's creating huge gaps. I've two older relatives who won't use the train because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

EdgeCase wrote: »
    It's pretty unique in the way it's creating huge gaps. I've two older relatives who won't use the train because of it.

Ok, demolish the place so two people won't be afraid to use the train.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Registered Users Posts: 21,173 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Nationwide Mon, Wed and Fri this week RTE 1, 7pm, on Cork Harbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

That's not what he's saying. It's a lovely building, but it's impractical on the tighter radius

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

who_me wrote: »

Heard that it was going to be accommodation type project so will be a hotel or apartments. From a reliable source

• Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

no.8 wrote: »
    That's not what he's saying. It's a lovely building, but it's impractical on the tighter radius

Not really. 99.9% of people manage just fine. Pretty sure the staff down there will set up a ramp if you ask them. I've seen that a few times.

• Advertisement

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Not really. 99.9% of people manage just fine. Pretty sure the staff down there will set up a ramp if you ask them. I've seen that a few times.

*If* you phone ahead. A lot of older people aren't aware of the gap being so bad or will chance it and I've seen a good few near misses where at the very least luggage has gone down onto the line.

The building's a railway station. It's not a museum of very late Victorian architecture. I tend to draw my limit at a situation that's actually quite dangerous being preserved for the sake of heritage notions. Things can be tastefully adapted to modern uses and there were far more significant railway structures in Cork, such as the viaduct over the Bandon Road let go to wreck and ruin. I wouldn't be surprised if that viaduct eventually falls down due to lack of maintenance.

Advertisement