Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Hurling League 2019 Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I dont get why there's a 1A relegation match off there is no relegation

There is no 1A relegation match and I never said there was!
    No promotion from 1B either.

There is a 1B relegation match though, and that will be a big game as the losers will drop to 2A next year.

In 1A this year there is nothing much to play for except making Top 4 and getting to League quarter finals.

In 1B there is more at stake, no promotion but Top 4 will also be in the quarters and bottom 2 will play off for relegation.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,010 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Stevecw wrote: »
    There is no 1A relegation match and I never said there was!
    No promotion from 1B either.

There is a 1B relegation match though, and that will be a big game as the losers will drop to 2A next year.

In 1A this year there is nothing much to play for except making Top 4 and getting to League quarter finals.

In 1B there is more at stake, no promotion but Top 4 will also be in the quarters and bottom 2 will play off for relegation.

There is a 1A relegation match scheduled for the 10th March

Obv just too determine what group the teams will be in 2020

RMAOK wrote: »
    Tbf to rte (and I wouldn't be their biggest fan) they would have been spread pretty thin wrt the football and hurling and - to be blunt - the expectation was that Galway would win with a bit to spare, even with their second string.

That aside, great endorsement for the work that's been done in Carlow hurling over the last few years.

I know that of course, huge amount of games to cover. Last week they did manage to show Galway/Laois & Dublin/Carlow from 1B though as well as the 1A hurling & Div 1 football.

Of course Galway would have been expected to win easy, 1/33 they were! It wasn't exactly a 2nd string team at all, 6 starters from AI final and a couple more of them came on. Joe Canning & Padraig Mannion played the 70 mins.
    The only downside from a Carlow point of view is the lack of support, Galway must have outnumbered us by 20 to 1 today. No matter what Carlow hurlers do, they never get the same level of support that the footballers get!

PTH2009 wrote: »
    There is a 1A relegation match scheduled for the 10th March

Obv just too determine what group the teams will be in 2020

Oh sorry, didn't realize that, geeze that is the most pointless game ever so! Makes no difference who is in what group next year as it's all mixed up anyway! I suppose it gives the rest of both panels a run out if nothing else, a glorified challenge match!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Steve, I admit to being confused and went to trouble of re-reading what was said by Croke Park when decision was made to change the league structure.

"Following the 2019 League the top twelve teams will be redistributed to create two divisions of approximately equal strength. The two new divisions of six teams will be based on their finishing positions in 2019 and redrawn after two years."

That would sort of indicate to me that it will be same 12 teams, and Horan specifically said when asked after the meeting of the Elders of Zion that there being "no relegation" would allow teams to experiment and develop!

Yeah, well that's what the pre-season competitions, training and challenge matches are for, John.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭C__MC

Tipp were flogged in mid week - league irrelevant

It will help match fitness and sharpness

Kk were experimental mode in Ennis at times

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Steve, I admit to being confused and went to trouble of re-reading what was said by Croke Park when decision was made to change the league structure.

"Following the 2019 League the top twelve teams will be redistributed to create two divisions of approximately equal strength. The two new divisions of six teams will be based on their finishing positions in 2019 and redrawn after two years."

That would sort of indicate to me that it will be same 12 teams, and Horan specifically said when asked after the meeting of the Elders of Zion that there being "no relegation" would allow teams to experiment and develop!

Yeah, well that's what the pre-season competitions, training and challenge matches are for, John.

So it sounds like in 2020 (and going forward?) there will be no relegation from the "new" equal-strength Division 1A or 1B (or whatever new title they will be called)?

So it sounds like in 2020 (and going forward?) there will be no relegation from the "new" equal-strength Division 1A or 1B (or whatever new title they will be called)?

For two years at least. Only confusion is whether the same 12 teams at moment will be those still in the two top divisions or whether as Steve above says that one team from bottom of 1B will be relegated and replaced by winner of 2A.

He may be correct and I may have missed that part.

Ludicrous really. Might as well scrap the whole thing. For whatever about the top teams, it is complete running kick in the ar$e for those in the lower divisions who might god forbid have ambitions of bettering themselves and having the audacity to play in 1B! Why would they even bother any more??? Who decided this was a good idea?

For two years at least. Only confusion is whether the same 12 teams at moment will be those still in the two top divisions or whether as Steve above says that one team from bottom of 1B will be relegated and replaced by winner of 2A.

He may be correct and I may have missed that part.

Ludicrous really. Might as well scrap the whole thing. For whatever about the top teams, it is complete running kick in the ar$e for those in the lower divisions who might god forbid have ambitions of bettering themselves and having the audacity to play in 1B! Why would they even bother any more??? Who decided this was a good idea?

There is definitely relegation from 1B this year... Colm Bonnar talks about the importance of retaining Div. 1B status in this article today.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭spacetrap

C__MC wrote: »
    Tipp were flogged in mid week - league irrelevant

It will help match fitness and sharpness

Kk were experimental mode in Ennis at times

How were Kilkenny in experimental mode . Clare were missing 6 players who started against Galway last August and Oisin O Brien who would have started if not injured is just back so Clare were missing a lot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Maher's goal been shared around social media a lot. the blind pass and finish were great but does anyone feel that mcgrath didn't quite mean the first pass.

I think he's looking to play it to the tipp player behind the actual ball winner.

Looks like Offaly are on their way to another hiding, at the hands of Laois. Hard to see how they are going to avoid the drop and what is effectively their banishment for several years to the second tier in league and championship.

They just gave up against Dublin once they had fallen behind by a few points. Sad to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,209 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Looks like Offaly are on their way to another hiding, at the hands of Laois. Hard to see how they are going to avoid the drop and what is effectively their banishment for several years to the second tier in league and championship.

They just gave up against Dublin once they had fallen behind by a few points. Sad to see.

Offaly will have to put the work into underage teams - they haven't been competitive at minor or u-21 in years. They can't be expecting to be competing with the big boys when they have virtually nothing of the required standard coming through.

Cork look very loose in their match against Clare - the flukey goal distorts the scoreline imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Clare done all the hurling and only level. Crazy game!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭eigrod

Clare much sharper - they have 2/3 men around every ball. Cork can’t get the ball to the obvious unmarked players then. Clare’s fouling keeping Cork in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

There's been a few soft ones but these Clare backs are seriously stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

That was well over from Tony Kelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭C__MC

Very poor game - league pretty much just nothing now with championship / no relegation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Offaly should have been relegated a few years ago.
    They are living in the 1990s still

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭brookville

There's been a few soft ones but these Clare backs are seriously stupid
    couldnt believe how much fouling their backs done against kk the last day surely they would of learned their lesson but to give away a number of stupid frees again tonight is just stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

brookville wrote: »
    couldnt believe how much fouling their backs done against kk the last day surely they would of learned their lesson but to give away a number of stupid frees again tonight is just stupid.

They didnt learn a lesson last day because they won. Some of the fouls were just so frustrating to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Whatever about clare backs i thought that game underlined how much SOD is needed up front. Someone to put the head down and drive straight for goal, draw a free or create space for colleagues. So much possession and dominance in half forwards tonight but not a single goal chance that i can recall or barely the sniff of one. Cork, feeding off scraps for a good bit of it, had 2 or 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭threeball

brookville wrote: »

Especially when their manager referenced this as a key indicator they were watching from today's game.

I think Offaly will be relegated to Division 2 after the next round if they lose to Galway and Carlow beat Laois.

I think Offaly will be relegated to Division 2 after the next round if they lose to Galway and Carlow beat Laois.

They are depending on other results now. They have to beat Carlow - not a hope of beating Galway - and hope that Carlow beat Laois. But will be in relegation play off no matter what happens.

Carlow's hammering from Waterford unfortunately proves that when the bigger guns are not taking anything for granted that there is only one outcome.

They are depending on other results now. They have to beat Carlow - not a hope of beating Galway - and hope that Carlow beat Laois. But will be in relegation play off no matter what happens.

Carlow's hammering from Waterford unfortunately proves that when the bigger guns are not taking anything for granted that there is only one outcome.

Oh I had forgotten that there would be a relegation playoff (which I think is a load of nonsense). So Offaly may still yet survive!

Oh I had forgotten that there would be a relegation playoff (which I think is a load of nonsense). So Offaly may still yet survive!

The worst bit of nonsense in this league is there still playing the 1A relegation playoff

Basically too decide what group the teams goes into next year

Could we sticky this as it will obv be asked and argued over the next few weeks

The League for 2020 will be as follows

Group A
    1st placed team in 1A 2019
    4th placed team in 1A 2019
    Winner of 1A 5th/6th playoff 2019
    2nd placed team in 1B 2019
    3rd placed team in 1B 2019
    div 2A winner

Group B
    2nd placed team in 1A 2019
    3rd placed team in 1A 2019
    Loser of the 1A 5th/6th playoff 2019.
    1st placed team in 1B 2019
    4th placed team in 1B 2019
    Winner of the 1B relegation playoff 2019 (5th vs 6th)

Groups to run on a two year cycle (2020, 2021)

– To be redrawn for 2022 and every two years thereafter based on formula above (“5th placed team Div 1B” to change to “Relegation final winners” for this purpose).

– Relegation from 2020 onwards to be after Relegation Play-Off between bottom placed team in Group A and Group B.

– Winner of Div 2A final is promoted annually to replace relegated team1st placed team in each group to advance directly to Allianz Hurling League Semi Final2nd and 3rd placed teams from each group to meet in “crossover” quarter finals (2nd 1A v 3rd 1B and 3rd 1A v 2nd 1B).

Judging by that they have changed the format since it was first announced as there were to be two years without any relegation from top two.

If that is the case then the changes make almost no difference!

Rightly so I have to say in regard to winner of 2A having the chance to go up, but a bit farcical that otherwise Groups A and B don't change at all!

Are any of them familiar with the phrase "leave well enough alone?"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Could they not have made it a top division and a second tier? And then just rename 2A as 3, 2B as 4, etc. Such a bloody faff.

Advertisement