Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Denis Villeneuve’s Dune

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

pixelburp wrote: »
    Ah right, gotcha. Yeah the FX themselves have aged really badly, wonder what happened there. Doubtless an impossible deadline. It's a shame David Lynch disowned the film, as a remaster and restoration of a longer directors cut could be an interesting prospect.
    Disowned it is a bit strong. I seem to recall him being interviewed in Ireland at one point. I'll have to paraphrase, but he said something like "You love all your kids, but there is a runt of the litter, and that's Dune for me".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

mikhail wrote: »
    Disowned it is a bit strong. I seem to recall him being interviewed in Ireland at one point. I'll have to paraphrase, but he said something like "You love all your kids, but there is a runt of the litter, and that's Dune for me".

Suppose I'm basing it more on the 'Alan Smithee' directors cut, the pseudoym used when directors or creatives want to keep a distance from a production (or in this case, a particular cut released to DVD).

I mean it's also a niche film where even it's fans such as myself enjoy despite the many, many, mannny flaws, so it's not that hard to figure out why there hasn't been a restoration. :D

Though one'd imagine if the Villeneuve film takes off there'll be a bump of interest / sales for the 1984 version.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,741 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I wonder how the new film will convey the sense of Mentats as almost like autistic human computers.

The mantra "It is by will alone I set my mind in motion" from Peter de Vries in the Lynch version of Dune got into my brain like an earworm and I still find myself repeating it to myself at times. I don't think it's in the Dune novel.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,877 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I wonder how the new film will convey the sense of Mentats as almost like autistic human computers.

The mantra "It is by will alone I set my mind in motion" from Peter de Vries in the Lynch version of Dune got into my brain like an earworm and I still find myself repeating it to myself at times. I don't think it's in the Dune novel.

It's not. But there's a lot in the Lynch film that's not in Herbert's book and to be honest, I like a lot of it. His version of the Mentats are one such thing.

It's been donkey's years since I read it and I sort of associate much of Lynch's film with 'Dune' now. So, I'm kind of hoping the new film is a kind of mish-mash in a way? I'd like to see a lot of the designs from Lynch's film imported into Villeneuve's version, such as the Bene Gesserit.

No doubt that will infuriate the purists.

But, all things considered, there's no better man at the moment to have at the helm of a new 'Dune' film.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Looking forward to that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Registered Users Posts: 84,746 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Oscar Isaac to play Timothee Chalamet's dad

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Hrrmmm. I can't say I remember Isaac ever doing a role that matches up with angry Leto

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

I think Chalamet is a great casting. He's a great actor, is the right age and has the boyish, handsome looks but still with the Atreides bony angles. And I'd say you could do a lot with his looks to indicate Paul's maturing/hardening over the arc of the story.

I've seen Isaac in a few movies and nothing in particular stands out in memory, but looks wise I think he's a good pick. Side by side with Chalamet you can easily see them as father-son.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Zendaya Coleman cast as Chani.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Zendaya Coleman cast as Chani.

Apparently only in talks, or at least so said the blog I'd been reading.

Either way, hard to find a bum note in the casting so far, even if I find Oscar Isaac a little overbooked these days.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Big fan of Issacs. He was great in Ex Machina.

'Meh' on Chalamet, but he might still nail it.

Will they fight well? What is Villeneuve's weirding way gonna be!?! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Sting, who was in the original film said he would be interested in making a cameo appearance

Javier Bardem has joined the cast as Stilgar

• Registered Users Posts: 15,278 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Chalamat when asked to comment on it said that the vision is “grounded”. Interesting.

It always felt a more low tech kind of universe (what with bans on AI and other advanced machinery IIRC), with a heavy dose of galactic mysticism, so perhaps they're staying true to that notion and clear of the shinier tropes of space operas.

^

Mmmmmm....no, I don't see that at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Uploading a pic from my phone, from Josh Brolins Instagram.
    hope it loads.

473198.jpg

• Advertisement

Not an immediately exciting piece of casting, the first that has me a little "meh" about it. Hope they signed Momoa for a multi-film contract though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Slydice wrote: »
    That is a terrible piece of casting, borderline disaster, critical character played by someone who looks nothing like him even if he could act, which he really can't...
    Uploading a pic from my phone, from Josh Brolins Instagram.
    hope it loads.

attachment.php?attachmentid=473198&d=1550216895[IMG][/img]
    Is that supposed to be a Freman? Or is it some other film? Not good if so...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Thargor wrote: »
    That is a terrible piece of casting, borderline disaster, critical character played by someone who looks nothing like him even if he could act, which he really can't...
    Idaho is big in the sequels, but he's far from critical in Dune. What does he do - vouch for Stilgar, a little piloting, and then he makes a last stand against a wave of Sardukar to buy Paul and Jessica time to escape? He doesn't have much dialogue, and the role is basically 'excellent swordsman and trusted lieutanant', right? I don't rate Momoa very much - though he's more often in bad movies than the bad part of a movie - but Duncan Idaho is no stretch for even him.

If they ever make the sequels, they might regret him a bit, mind. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I'm delighted to see Khal Drogo in this. The more casting choices I see the more excited I am about this. I just want to see a well crafted movie, not see the book onscreen.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

That is a terrible piece of casting, borderline disaster, critical characwter played by someone who looks nothing like him even if he could act, which he really can't...

Is that supposed to be a Foreman? Or is it some other film? Not good if so...
    Gah I meant Freman, stupid autocorrect...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Is that supposed to be a Freman? Or is it some other film? Not good if so...

I think that's just a picture of some dude walking on a sand dune.
    relax the hate...

Is that supposed to be a Foreman? Or is it some other film? Not good if so...

Poor old George needs a gig.

220px-George_Foreman_071516.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Momoa sure is happy to be joining the cast.

https://twitter.com/CultureCrave/status/1095790903313059841

I think - or rather, it had been reported - that that video was related to the Aquaman sequel; he did come out of what appeared to be the DC comics office.

So, I mean that's two ... unconventional actors with David Bautista & now Momoa, but both have interesting & slightly divergent career paths; tbh I have more time for Bautista, who seems to have a better range & greater desire to hone his craft. Momoa is just a scowling dude-bros, playing a series of scowling dude-bros. He seems a genuine, decent guy but not buying him as an actor.

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    I think - or rather, it had been reported - that that video was related to the Aquaman sequel; he did come out of what appeared to be the DC comics office.

That would probably make sense alright.

Advertisement