Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread VII (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

https://amp.independent.ie/business/brexit/ireland-must-face-a-border-on-island-or-a-border-between-ireland-and-eu-in-no-deal-brexit-37816814.html

The Independent and Kevin Doyle yet again going with some "sources" stating that the EU are going to lean on us about the border.

I mean, why in God's name do they keep writing this nonsense? (It's rhetorical but just very frustrating)

It is a bit stupid at this point of course expecially considering that the situation over the border is well known and it's not a good idea to throw Ireland under the bus for the actions of a dysfunctional 3rd party state. The simple truth is that if there's a no deal what's likely to happen is a 2 fold approach of temporary custom checks on the border to watch things and maximum diplomatic pressure on London by the EU. The UK wont last many months without a deal not as thing's degrade over time in terms of supply chains and that.

Edit: As other poster's have noted the Indo has really dropped in quality lately some of the stuff they seem to publish is somewhat hyperbolic and hyped up.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Labour without Corbyn could in fairness have been a foil for the Tories re Brexit.

The sad thing is they were not and never will be now.

I blame the Labour MPs who are like nodding donkeys now. But anyway.

There should perhaps be a Government of National Unity now, since they all want the same thing.

There should perhaps be a Government of National Unity now, since they all want the same thing.

If there was a normal government with politicians with principals that would be the case but not this parliment. Far too many vested interests and that involved to ever have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

I previously deleted the Indo from my quick access list because of articles like that. Gutter rag

Infini wrote: »
    If there was a normal government with politicians with principals that would be the case but not this parliment. Far too many vested interests and that involved to ever have it.

Indeed.

Does no one in UK realise this?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Don't think it was posted already but today's FT apparently has a report that Bank of America are moving their European HQ to Dublin along with $50billion of assets

https://twitter.com/DarranMarshall/status/1095804570654179329?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

The Tory and Labour stories proved to be mundane anti-climaxes involving Richard Harrington and Caroline Flint, respectively.

Indeed.

Does no one in UK realise this?

It'd be less a case of noone noticing and rather not enough being able to do anything due to fatigue, apathy and an utterly failing political system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Panrich

It looks like the big news is junior minister telling the ERG members to join Farages new party and criticising the PM for not ruling out no deal. There are several pro-remain ministers who might be ready to openly rebel at this stage.

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/foreign-affairs/brexit/news/101854/excl-government-minister-tells-brexiteer-tory-mps-join

• Registered Users Posts: 18,188 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

https://amp.independent.ie/business/brexit/ireland-must-face-a-border-on-island-or-a-border-between-ireland-and-eu-in-no-deal-brexit-37816814.html

The Independent and Kevin Doyle yet again going with some "sources" stating that the EU are going to lean on us about the border.

I mean, why in God's name do they keep writing this nonsense? (It's rhetorical but just very frustrating)

The main reason this is rubbish is that even if the EU threw out the backstop, the ERG would still vote May's deal down.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,734 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Why not remain in the Customs union in the medium term? It solves the NI border issue for the moment, grants control over immigration, sovereignty (whatever that is) and preserves JiT manufacturing chains. Surely when the government is this clueless, the customs union is the best way forward. It's not as if DIT is anywhere near ready to negotiate trade deals anyway.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Strazdas wrote: »
    The main reason this is rubbish is that even if the EU threw out the backstop, the ERG would still vote May's deal down.

The Backstop has to happen. Full Stop.

And I agree about the ERG. Who the F are they anyway, how many of them can hold a country to ransom like this? I suppose it is a tactical thing within the Tory Party. But for what result?

I reckon the WA is ok for many with the Backstop included, there is no other alternative other than a unilateral withdrawal from A50. Well other than NO DEAL, which apparently no one wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

There's an opinion piece in the Guardian today that has nothing to do with Brexit, and yet it describes the Brexit mentality perfectly:
    But what I have learnt in the last few years is that cancer patients in search of alternative cures are more deeply entrenched than ever in their beliefs. Thanks to the rise of social media, the ability to filter out conflicting viewpoints and a bevy of supporters for every outrageous idea, these people arrive convinced about their theories. Arguing with them is a fool’s errand.

Despite the longest consultations, carried out by disadvantaging other needy patients, these patients are often the most dissatisfied because oncologists like me speak our truths with less conviction than the quacks who promise the world but deliver nothing except a lonely death in an unfamiliar emergency room in front of a bewildered family.

If someone is prepared to put their life at risk because their belief in medical quackery is stronger than expert advice, is it any surprise that they were (still are) prepared to sacrifice their place in the world and the workplace for a unicorn-filled utopia?

Why not remain in the Customs union in the medium term? It solves the NI border issue for the moment, grants control over immigration, sovereignty (whatever that is) and preserves JiT manufacturing chains. Surely when the government is this clueless, the customs union is the best way forward. It's not as if DIT is anywhere near ready to negotiate trade deals anyway.

ERG and the DUP. Well at this stage we all know the intelligence and forward thinking of both those entities.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,734 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

ERG and the DUP. Well at this stage we all know the intelligence and forward thinking of both those entities.

A customs union is Labour policy. Surely they'd have to vote for it, especially due to the manufacturing angle.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Don't think it was posted already but today's FT apparently has a report that Bank of America are moving their European HQ to Dublin along with $50billion of assets

https://twitter.com/DarranMarshall/status/1095804570654179329?s=19

Name like Anne Finucane! She must be able to trace herself back to Ireland.

North Kerry would be my bet

A customs union is Labour policy. Surely they'd have to vote for it, especially due to the manufacturing angle.

I know this, but unfortunately the Labour Leadership has no leadership at all now. I am sorry, but he seems to be hidden most of the time.

I would hope that CU might get us all out of this mess pro tem, or for good. And I would welcome it.

Thing is, I doubt Labour really want it. Well I haven't heard it voiced up to now, but that may be because the toxic UK media is in full Brexit mode at the moment and haven't given voice to others.

Was always thus with the Red Tops. They actually run that country via their readership. Add the BBC in there and it is all sorted.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

lawred2 wrote: »
    Name like Anne Finucane! She must be able to trace herself back to Ireland.

North Kerry would be my bet
    They already have a presence in Sandyford and possibly IFSC AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

If the remain ship has sailed then a customs union would be the best option.It`s just will the torys put the country before themselves and realise their dreams of "having their cake and eating it" are just that,dreams.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

They already have a presence in Sandyford and possibly IFSC AFAIK

They've been in Ireland for a long time.

Turns out her grandfather originates from North Cork

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭trashcan

RobMc59 wrote: »
    If the remain ship has sailed then a customs union would be the best option.It`s just will the torys put the country before themselves and realise their dreams of "having their cake and eating it" are just that,dreams.

Hmm, we don't need two guesses to figure the answer to that do we ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

So nothing happened at 8? Glad I didn't skip training for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

So nothing happened at 8? Glad I didn't skip training for it.
    What happened at 8pm was a very interesting look into the minds of MPs. Totally internally focused and completely in thrall with themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

This is great. The SNP's Peter Grant responding to DUP's Sammy Wilson who told him to read the Belfast agreement and that leaving without a deal couldn't break NI's institutions...

https://twitter.com/RobDunsmore/status/1096047763597479936

"I have read the Belfast agreement. If it comes to any arguments about interpretation, I would sooner take the interpretation of the former Taoiseach who helped to write it than of somebody who fought tooth and nail to have it rejected."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

This is great. The SNP's Peter Grant responding to DUP's Sammy Wilson who told him to read the Belfast agreement and that leaving without a deal couldn't break NI's institutions...

https://twitter.com/RobDunsmore/status/1096047763597479936

The baldy lad sitting beside him has a fantastic laugh on him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

The loony's in the erg on lbc now rabbiting on about renegotiation of the WA,keep the £39 billion etc,etc.just f**k off UK and do it now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Did something happen at 8:00? My telly didn't pick it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

boggerman1 wrote: »
    The loony's in the erg on lbc now rabbiting on about renegotiation of the WA,keep the £39 billion etc,etc.just f**k off UK and do it now

It's been Groundhog Day for so long now, these types of arguments just fade into the background as white noise if anything.

No Deal is well on its way now, I don't see the EU moving, and I don't see the deal getting through Parliament. May has done nothing but run the clock down and its now the only likelihood of what will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Did something happen at 8:00? My telly didn't pick it up.

No nothing happened. More of the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,173 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The SNP have some excellent speakers. They can really cut to the chase.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement