Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today I did something to my bike thread...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

That might cause issues on sunny days. Can you make your own mount and attach it to the bolt on the show in the photo?

the one on the frame might be too far back but there are some other options on the front. just wanted something quick to try it out

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

ED E wrote: »
    How do you find that for vibration? I run a Session on mounts in similar locations but one is just in front of the bar with the other being about 5cm forward. The forward one appears to suffer a fair bit more vibration.

Vibration is no problem – one of its features vs Session 4 is the stabilization. The camera is able to do 4k, but only 2.7k when stabilization is turned on, and with looping mode also on, it's been forcing me to use 1080p. In general, I'm not hugely impressed with the camera but I've nothing to compare it to.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

FIT a Disc Dynamo wheel for the Croix de Fer and my B&M light . DT Swis 545D Rim with a SP-PD8 Hub. 36 spokes front and rear. Should be bombproof if a little bit heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I bought an S-Works Roubaix SL4 frameset and stripped my Felt F5 and built up the Roubaix. Just need a new chain and cables (inner & outer) and she’s good to go. Also treated myself to a Deda Superzero seatpost and stem for that stealth look to match the frame. Can’t wait to get out for a spin on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

Put some better pedals on the bullitt. Feet were constantly slipping off the crappy plastic basic ones it had on when I got it

470683.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I'm going to attempt a Di2 installation on Sunday, there will be many questions coming!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Took my old flat bar commuter from the shed the weekend. Bike is almost 10 years old at this stage, hasn't been ridden regularly in easily 6 years apart from 1 day. I had expected a big job in getting it sorted, probably new tyres, chain etc, but nope. Not a trace of rust, everything still well greased and smooth. There was even air still in the tyres from that one time a few years ago. Gave my son the job of removing all the spider and cob webs from it with a toothbrush though.

My seatpost is seized in my Croix de Fer. Took one of the botle holders off, tipped it upside down and sprayed a load of WD40 in hope more than expectation/ Let it sit for a few hours. After several hours, I gave it a go, and not budging, but the WD40 found it's way around the bike and came out in a few places and required the floor getting a thorough cleaining!

Going to try some sort of penetrating oil and leave it a few days in the outside shed. After that, I'm giving up. It's only marginally too low, but still.

Actually I was expecting a seized seat post as it seems to be a common issue on this forum alone. I loosened the bolt with an allen key and it immediately moved freely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Hurrache wrote: »
    Actually I was expecting a seized seat post as it seems to be a common issue on this forum alone. I loosened the bolt with an allen key and it immediately moved freely.

She's a keeper!

• Advertisement

My wife has it now, that's the reason it's been revived.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Weepsie wrote: »
    My seatpost is seized in my Croix de Fer. Took one of the botle holders off, tipped it upside down and sprayed a load of WD40 in hope more than expectation/ Let it sit for a few hours. After several hours, I gave it a go, and not budging, but the WD40 found it's way around the bike and came out in a few places and required the floor getting a thorough cleaining!

Going to try some sort of penetrating oil and leave it a few days in the outside shed. After that, I'm giving up. It's only marginally too low, but still.

Try Coca Cola instead of penetrating oil.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

aluminium seatpost? heat won't help, aluminium expands faster than steel. maybe try some ice?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

maybe some iced coke.

Getting coke into it in the first place might be a bit of a pain without removing the bottom bracket. I can spray oil in the holes for the bottle cage bolts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭saccades

Just keep adding penetrating oil, do you have a vice?

Put a sacrificial saddle on, put that in the vice and use the frame as gentle leverage.

Might need to remove the wheels if your shed is small.

No vice, saddle is end of life so no problem with damaging it. It's nearly the correct height anyway, so I'll probably just leave it as is until I don't need the bike in a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Weepsie wrote: »
    No vice, saddle is end of life so no problem with damaging it. It's nearly the correct height anyway, so I'll probably just leave it as is until I don't need the bike in a couple of weeks.

stillson and a long steel pole, lay the frame flat on the floor and get someone to hold it down. Leverage is your friend and a saddle wont offer enough of that if it's really stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Had neglected the commuter a lot lately, mostly due to time pressures and being away a few weekends on the trot. Bike Was starting to creak and groan and a lot of small jobs needed doing. Missed my chain and cassette replacement, so Picked up a new chain and cassette, new brake pads and changed out a jamming gear cable on the front derailleur.

Took apart the rear brake, it was sticking and full of gunk. Full strip down, clean, regrease and reassembly and put back. Bike running like new again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Trekker09

I'm going to attempt a Di2 installation on Sunday, there will be many questions coming!

How did that go for you? Curious as I might be going down the same road soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Trekker09 wrote: »
    How did that go for you? Curious as I might be going down the same road soon.

I opened the box with the brakes - the only bit I don't have and they were 6800 rather than 8000 (which I ordered and paid for) so have sent them back and waiting for the new package to arrive. I'm not doing it until I have everything

• Registered Users Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭cletus

Today I 'ave mostly been...installing bar end plugs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Weepsie, Plus gas is better than WD40 for loosening seized parts. It’s a spray so should be easy to get to where it’s needed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭secman

Weepsie, I had and still have a siezed seat post, it's Alu on an Alu frame. Tried all sorts of penetrating oil sprays, coke, heat. Managed to damage frame using leverage. Rode it without clamp , it's well seized. It's. Marginally too high,
    Winter hack, just accepted the fact,

Weepsie, Plus gas is better than WD40 for loosening seized parts. It’s a spray so should be easy to get to where it’s needed

Couldn't find plus gas. I have 3 in 1 penetrant spray though, just waiting til I won't be needing the bike for a few days. I don't want to damage the frame, seatpost I could care less about so if I really want to I cut probably cut it and slowly file it away.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Put new pinned flat pedals on my old hack MTB which were feeling like the business heading up Cruagh road today until one of the feckers fell off! To add insult to injury, turns out my trendy little ratchet bike tool set doesn't have an allen key big enough for pedals so no roadside fix option. Walked home and got the pedal back on ok though the first couple of threads on the crank arm look stripped. Dithering now between getting new crank arms, a whole new group or going large and just getting a new bike. Going to waste half an hour on the bike sites now to alleviate the frustration of missing my lunch time spin.

just finished giving the bike a wash, which i'd been meaning to do for a week or more, but worth noting that there were spots of rust on it in places you don't expect to see rust, e.g. the cassette - must have been the salt being spread on the roads in the last few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭saccades

just finished giving the bike a wash, which i'd been meaning to do for a week or more, but worth noting that there were spots of rust on it in places you don't expect to see rust, e.g. the cassette - must have been the salt being spread on the roads in the last few weeks.

Loads and loads of it. Car is filthy in a day when it's damp, before the frost it looked ok for over a week.

also worth mentioning - disc brakes had gotten very squealy (though OK when warm), even in the dry.
    on the offchance it was just salt, i soaked them in boiling water and a little degreaser, and it seems to have done the trick, with an important caveat that i haven't tried them in the wet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Just put a bit of degreaser on my hivis to try and remove some drivetrain crud from my sleeves. Will see in a bit if I've f#cked the jacket or not.

Advertisement