Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today I did something to my bike thread...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

ED E wrote: »
    Just put a bit of degreaser on my hivis to try and remove some drivetrain crud from my sleeves. Will see in a bit if I've f#cked the jacket or not.

please let us know, how it works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Had an annoying buzzing from the internal rear brake cable in the top tube so I bought rubber tubing with a 2mm ID and removed the cable and fitted a new cable and fitted a 30cm length of the rubber tubing over the cable inside the TT. Bounced the bike several times to ensure the buzzing noise was gone before cutting the cable and crimping on the cap. Job done, bike silent once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Sandwell

I've been using an old wheel on the turbo for the past couple of months. I put a new cassette on it so that I could switch back and forth with minimal hassle. However, when I tried switching back to my outdoor wheel just now there seemed to be a problem with the gearing. The crank was extremely stiff to turn even in the lightest gear. The wheel itself would spin freely so there was no obvious obstruction there. When I switched back in the trainer wheel it turned smoothly. The cassettes are the same as far as I can tell - they're both 10 speed 105 - and I didn't have to reindex when I started using the trainer wheel. Could it be that the chain has adapted to a new cassette and won't engage correctly with the old one any longer? I'm at a loss and would appreciate any ideas. For now it looks like a long turbo session instead of my planned jaunt around North County Dublin :(

Sandwell wrote: »
    I've been using an old wheel on the turbo for the past couple of months. I put a new cassette on it so that I could switch back and forth with minimal hassle. However, when I tried switching back to my outdoor wheel just now there seemed to be a problem with the gearing. The crank was extremely stiff to turn even in the lightest gear. The wheel itself would spin freely so there was no obvious obstruction there. When I switched back in the trainer wheel it turned smoothly. The cassettes are the same as far as I can tell - they're both 10 speed 105 - and I didn't have to reindex when I started using the trainer wheel. Could it be that the chain has adapted to a new cassette and won't engage correctly with the old one any longer? I'm at a loss and would appreciate any ideas. For now it looks like a long turbo session instead of my planned jaunt around North County Dublin :(

Swap cassettes between the wheels to rule out chain/cassette wear but I’d be more inclined to think either the bearings or pawls in the freehub are causing the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

I serviced my rear Shimano 6800 wheel yesterday to address a 2mm lateral movement when mounted on the bike.

YouTube was handy, but I couldn't find anything exactly like my wheel - the closest was a 6800 hub service which has different internals.

I removed the axle and ball bearings on the drive side. On the non-drive side the balls were in a cage behind a seal which I didn't want to remove.

I cleaned up everything and applied loads of grease to the cup, cones and to the loose and caged balls - and fiddled around with the bearing tension before putting it all back together.

Success! The wheel rotates freely and smoothly and no play. Particularly chuffed because I've never touched wheels before.

I fitted these new 4 years ago and they have about 11.5K kms clocked up. Other than this bearing service they have never been touched and are in perfect nick. I'd describe them as bulletproof.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

My commute/ winter bike has started making awful creaking noises the past few days so I removed the crank and BB and cleaned and greased it all. Had to use an ezy-out on a crank arm bolt as it rounded off. Not a good start.
    Back wheel had some play in the bearing so sorted that out and back brake was really ineffective so removed and cleaned that, and put new pads in.
    As the sun is shining, I took off the awful mudguards to reduce the rattling and general awfulness of the whole experience. Looking forward to my commute later, but probably jinxed the weather....

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

I converted my partners road bike into a 1x8. She never uses the big ring and the deraileur just rubbed the chain . Involved removing a few links of chain , removing the front deraileur and its cables , then replacing the front ring with a bashguard and putting a dog fang chain catcher on the seat tube. The bashguard and chain catcher are probably overkill but better safe than sorry. It's made for a simplified bike that is very straight forward for a novice to use.

46652907444_a851809655_c.jpgIMG_20190314_093319

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

I converted my partners road bike into a 1x8. She never uses the big ring and the deraileur just rubbed the chain . Involved removing a few links of chain , removing the front deraileur and its cables , then replacing the front ring with a bashguard and putting a dog fang chain catcher on the seat tube. The bashguard and chain catcher are probably overkill but better safe than sorry. It's made for a simplified bike that is very straight forward for a novice to use.

I like that! Really clean, did you reuse the original chainring to did you have to swap it out for something else?

The steady stream of parts arriving in for my cheap tri bike means I was able to put together the bars tonight. Not cabled yet though, that’s not a 10pm job! Will get it all set up over the weekend!

It’s a Temani Base bar, Cane Creek Levers, Temani tri bars and DA shifters for anyone interested!

(Didn’t want to upload an image directly as it’s from my phone and not resized so it’s massive!)

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

Hi , Yes I kept the original inner chainring. I was considering switching it out for something single speed specific or a narrow wide but someone on the interweb told me that the inner ring on a road double already has a profile that would suit using it for a 1x so there was no need

• Advertisement

Hi , Yes I kept the original inner chainring. I was considering switching it out for something single speed specific or a narrow wide but someone on the interweb told me that the inner ring on a road double already has a profile that would suit using it for a 1x so there was no need

Interesting! Wasn’t aware you could do that! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Just a big clean and a couple of cable tweaks. Gave itva layer of the wax linked below. Really happy with how its turned out

http://www.detailingshed.com/waxes/56-chemical-guys-pete-s-53.html

Wanted to paint my new build but I baulked at the cost of having a carbon frame painted!

Decided to give Plasti-Dip spray a go. Put the first coat on tonight, just did the fork so far to see how it comes up. Looks okay so far and should look pretty nice with 4 more layers to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭bsb1971

Will you post pictures when you have the frame sprayed, be interested to see how it turns out. Have a frame I want to respray myself.

bsb1971 wrote: »
    Will you post pictures when you have the frame sprayed, be interested to see how it turns out. Have a frame I want to respray myself.

Sure will, Hoping to get a full coat on the frame tomorrow morning...once the weather stays decent! :o

Slightly delayed by other commitments, I dodged the rain showers tonight to get a first coat on the frame.

I’m reasonably happy so far since it was cheap and required zero prep,! Another few coats this weekend and it’ll be right, right now the carbon still shows through in spots, which isn’t a bad look I don’t think!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,389 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

cassette and chain change on the bike this evening, plus a fettling with the back brakes, trying to centre the mechanism correctly (i put new pads in a few weeks ago and there's a slight adjustment required).
    now i just need to figure out something to do with the old cassette, i hate throwing things out.

cassette and chain change on the bike this evening, plus a fettling with the back brakes, trying to centre the mechanism correctly (i put new pads in a few weeks ago and there's a slight adjustment required).
    now i just need to figure out something to do with the old cassette, i hate throwing things out.

Ninja death stars?

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭bsb1971

looks well. reckon I will be using the same paints for my own frame!

Deano12345 wrote: »
    Slightly delayed by other commitments, I dodged the rain showers tonight to get a first coat on the frame.

I’m reasonably happy so far since it was cheap and required zero prep,! Another few coats this weekend and it’ll be right, right now the carbon still shows through in spots, which isn’t a bad look I don’t think!

bsb1971 wrote: »
    looks well. reckon I will be using the same paints for my own frame!

Yeah I really can’t fault it at the moment. Not sure how durable it is, but I’ll probably cover it with some sort of film after I’m done if I like it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Rebuilt my old race frame (a 1994 Gan Lemond replica, Silvio Billato built) I wanted a modern twist on it so Shimano equipped whereas when I built it first it had Mavic Zap

IMG_20190425_190646_zpsf4swzoqh.jpg

Collected and fit the Cosmic wheels. Most parts I want are bought now.

So left to do;

Di2 R8000 ready to go on, just waiting on crank and brakes to arrive. Ritchey bars and stem with yellow brake cable outers while I'm at it.

That should all be done in the next few weeks, this project will then be 'closed'

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,389 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Collected and fit the Cosmic wheels. Most parts I want are bought now.
    weird, i fit a pair of cosmic wheels yesterday too. not as bling as yours, mind.

also had to strip the handlebars back and redo the brake cables, the bike had been set up for braking a la mode francais.

Fitted new Nukeproof Horizon 780mm riser bars on my Cube 29er along with a snazzy looking Funn Stryge 60mm stem. My old bars were flat 720mm bars, the extra 60mm suits me better along with the extra 25mm rise and sweepback. They're also lighter than the stock bars and look so much better.

I also fitted a new KMC chain on my winter/training bike. Slightly annoyed that I didn't go for a shimano chain as its slightly noisier than the 105 spec chain it replaced but its on now and will have to do.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Trying to get the remnants of an old cinelli stem (cut off) out of the original Lemond forks and it is a real pita. Cut it with a hacksaw and they are moving but just not enough to shift

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

I changed the press fit bottom bracket on my Canyon CF SL last night. It had been creaking a bit lately, but after the trouble changing it, I nearly regret touching the thing now. Managed to scratch the top tube too with the cup remover.

Got it sorted eventually and the creaking is gone, but the transmission isn't quite as smooth as it was before... I guess everything lines up a little bit differently after you remove the cranks and do a job like that.

Anyway, its done and hopefully I won't need to touch it for another few years!

weird, i fit a pair of cosmic wheels yesterday too. not as bling as yours, mind.

also had to strip the handlebars back and redo the brake cables, the bike had been set up for braking a la mode francais.

I saw your Cosmics, you got to them before I did, bargain, fair play.

My own brakes are backwards too but I never bothered changing them given the whole groupset is being changed anyway. The Jagwire yellow cable outer is out of stock everywhere though thus delaying my groupset change. No rush anyway

And with that I'm nearly at the end of accumulation of bits. :D

it appears they included a pair of handcuffs.

• Advertisement

it appears they included a pair of handcuffs.

I got the S&M version.

Advertisement