Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today I did something to my bike thread...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Not quite to the bike yet, but a set of Pro Lite Bracciano A42W wheels, with GP4000's and a 105 R7000 cassette prepared and ready for the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Took off the race blade mudguards that have been slowly disintegrating and getting more annoying as the weeks go by.
    So much nicer to ride to work today without all the rattled and rubbing noises...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Trekker09

Managed to route the internal brake cable on my Rose Xeon RS300 using my newly procured Jagwire routing tool, then realized I'd done them the wrong way round (right shifter/rear brake)!! Was too absorbed listening to Stone Roses on my new bluetooth set up in the shed!

Took about half of Death In Vegas Scorpio Rising to switch to correct sides.

Trekker09 wrote: »
    Managed to route the internal brake cable on my Rose Xeon RS300 using my newly procured Jagwire routing tool, then realized I'd done them the wrong way round (right shifter/rear brake)!! Was too absorbed listening to Stone Roses on my new bluetooth set up in the shed!

Took about half of Death In Vegas Scorpio Rising to switch to correct sides.

"Hands Around My Throat" is a choon!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Trekker09

"Hands Around My Throat" is a choon!!!!!!!

Have to agree!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭cletus

Not my bike, but I changed out the Giant flat guard 28's on my wife's bike for a set of Schwalbe marathon plus 35's.

(Actually, I tell a lie. I changed one. The bike is still on the stand, and I'm heading to the shop for a bag of cans :D)

Not done anything to my bike but did clear out the shed that holds our bikes in preparation for the arrival of a skip tomorrow. So much crap that was thrown in there when we moved in 5 years ago and since.

It's not a huge space but I can now walk the whole way around a bike while it's on a stand :)

The attic is another beast entirely :(

I did take inspiration from Cletus so a few beers helped make the clearing out that bit easier and even found a few useful items including a long lost multitool, chain breaker and a couple of tubes still in boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Bike was making a creaking noise each pedal stroke so I decided to clean various bits, pedals, cranks, saddle, seatpost etc and re-seat and adjust bolts, axles. Also fit the extension flap thingy on the Raceblades.

Broke my wrist mountain biking so haven't had time to see if the creak is gone...but I got the turbo tyre fit and bought some clip on aero bars.

Need to throw a new battery into the Garmin sensor and get some degreaser but that should be everything sorted for now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭saccades

2 new rubino graphite tyres.

Slammed 80mm stem.

Cleaned the drive chain.

Just need some new disc brake pads and I'm good for winter.

Fitted some Ergon GP2 bar ends to the enduro bike, that and some low tread ground control tyres means I'm ready to go 24hour "racing".

Cleaned the bike the other day before work and the free hub decided that it wanted to rotate freely in both directions! Took the spare bike instead.
    Today I took the free hub off and cleaned it up- all 3 pawls were stuck in a greasy goo. Cleaned it all up and lightly oiled it before refitting. Hopefully it’ll be grand this week as I don’t really like riding the spare bike any more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Installed a new set of Hunt Aero disc wheels on my Cannondale Synapse - between the wheels and tubeless set up I've somehow shaved a full kilo off the weight when compared with the original stock Maddux

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Alanbt

New wheels day

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Alanbt wrote: »
    New wheels day

Love that bike! I have the same wheels for the last 2 years, cant fault them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Alanbt

Love that bike! I have the same wheels for the last 2 years, cant fault them!

Good to hear. Hopefully weather will hold off for a proper test spin at the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Have a bike a few years old that hasn't seen much use. Has great condition 5700 105 and nice wheels.. Never much liked the frame and think it's the wrong size for me anyway.... Scouring the Web now to try find a heavily discounted frameset....

How hard is it to swap over the groupset? Bottom bracket on my yoke is BSA 68 mm, but most now are press fit...

Have a bike a few years old that hasn't seen much use. Has great condition 5700 105 and nice wheels.. Never much liked the frame and think it's the wrong size for me anyway.... Scouring the Web now to try find a heavily discounted frameset....

How hard is it to swap over the groupset? Bottom bracket on my yoke is BSA 68 mm, but most now are press fit...
    You'll find YouTube videos for it anywhere. I'm not the greatest at bike maintenance but doing a (admittedly very slow) bike build and haven't had any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Fitted new wheels on the commuter, got a set of bog standard shimano rs100s. My back wheel had sounded rough for a while - bearings gone I’d say. Then a busted spoke and a few cracks in the rim said RIP for my rear wheel. Wheels were €88 delivered from chain reaction, a bargain.

You'll find YouTube videos for it anywhere. I'm not the greatest at bike maintenance but doing a (admittedly very slow) bike build and haven't had any issues.
    I skipped my planned group ride this morning but still got up early and planned to finally finish this (it is a CAAD12 disc build). Progressed a bit - all levers, derailleurs, cables, hoses and finishing kit now on. Plan to get the crankset on before the night is out too. Unfortunately I'm missing both an "olive" for the disc hoses and spacers so the disc calipers will fit the rotors I had. This meant I couldn't get the wheels on which also meant that I couldn't do the brake bleeding / gear indexing which is one of the things I'm not sure if I have the ability to do. But YouTube is fantastic for this stuff.

Worried that I took a bit too much on by going for a hydraulic disk as a very first bike build but it is finally taking shape. Away next weekend so have ordered a better cable cutters and the correct spacers for the calipers so hopefully will get the wheels on and gears and brakes set up in two weeks time.

A great learning experience for anyone who is considering it - frustrating but I'd highly recommend it. I was barely above a beginner in maintenance terms when I started this but hopefully after this I will be ok on all drivetrain & brakes basic maintenance.

I skipped my planned group ride this morning but still got up early and planned to finally finish this (it is a CAAD12 disc build). Progressed a bit - all levers, derailleurs, cables, hoses and finishing kit now on. Plan to get the crankset on before the night is out too. Unfortunately I'm missing both an "olive" for the disc hoses and spacers so the disc calipers will fit the rotors I had. This meant I couldn't get the wheels on which also meant that I couldn't do the brake bleeding / gear indexing which is one of the things I'm not sure if I have the ability to do. But YouTube is fantastic for this stuff.

Worried that I took a bit too much on by going for a hydraulic disk as a very first bike build but it is finally taking shape. Away next weekend so have ordered a better cable cutters and the correct spacers for the calipers so hopefully will get the wheels on and gears and brakes set up in two weeks time.

A great learning experience for anyone who is considering it - frustrating but I'd highly recommend it. I was barely above a beginner in maintenance terms when I started this but hopefully after this I will be ok on all drivetrain & brakes basic maintenance.

Finally fully assembled this today after I got the right adapters for the discs I had. Maiden spin tomorrow I hope once I've put the bar tape, Garmin mount and bottle holders on

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Today, I gave up and let the bike shop fix my bike. I've been chasing an awful creaking for a long while now. It started when I noticed my BB was starting to move under pressure, so I bought the tools to remove and install a press fit BB. Fitted that, and if anything the noises got worse. Took it apart and greased everything I could find, which improved things a small bit. To cut a long story short I determined that my rear wheel bearing was dying. Gave up trying to DIY things and brought it in.

The guys laughed at me, said the bearing and hub were now goosed. And just said I'd be better off with a new wheel. Went for a DT Swiss P 1800, my first decent wheel. Got the bike back this afternoon, and holy crap the difference. Never mind the quietness and smoothness, I've effectively been resistance training for months on the old wheel it was so bad. Happy days, front wheel is fine for now but I reckon I'll do the same again once winter is over and done with.

• Advertisement

Walked the kids to school this morning and took my commuter to ride back home after. It’s been sat idle for 3 weeks so wanted to give it a run before I use it in anger later today.
    Just as well I did as after the first use of the rear brake, it wouldn’t release. Managed to free it enough to get home and found the cable in really bad shape. Happily, I had a spare in the shed so fitted that. Also put on the new race blades I bought last week.
    Good to go now...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Fitted a new R7000 medium cage rear derailleur and new hanger after I broke the rear hanger and bent the cage on the 5800 RD last week. I also bought a new chain as the other one kinked and broke too. I kept the old one and counted the links (the chain was less than 6 months old and had only 1000km on it) and split the new chain and fitted it with a quick link. Tried all the gears and it wouldn’t go into big/big. I had to add two links to get it to work. The 5800 was medium cage too but it’s obviously shorter than a 7000 GS but I can’t see how it’s two links shorter! Anyway it’s witks sweet now thankfully.

So, I didn't actually do anything to it yet, but I did collect my new n+1

496246.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,386 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ooh, where did you find that? late 80s or thereabouts, yeah?

ooh, where did you find that? late 80s or thereabouts, yeah?

Uncle of mine bought it in '87, I think. I was 7 and thought it was the coolest thing in the world. He passed away in '89.

I enquired about it over the summer when it popped into my head while I was thinking about a project bike, not really holding out much hope.

Turns out another uncle of mine has had it in storage for the last 30 years...by which he meant flung in the corner of his shed

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,386 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

with the length of those chainstays, you'd almost wonder if it'd take 29" wheels. might not leave much of a braking surface for the brakes to grab onto though...

with the length of those chainstays, you'd almost wonder if it'd take 29" wheels. might not leave much of a braking surface for the brakes to grab onto though...

I have no idea what I'm going to do with it, to be honest, so would be open to any and all suggestions. What I do know is that I'm not tied to the idea of a faithful restoration, so I'd be happy with, say, the short flat handlebars you see on commuter or courier bikes, by way of example

i don't think the chainwheel is original. i did once give a biopace chainwheel from my old muddy fox courier comp to Alek, but i don't know if he ever used it. that said, i haven't seen him on here in ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Fitted a set of SKS bluemel mudguards to my hybrid over the weekend. It nearly drove me insane. A drill and a angle grinder came into play during the fitting. Never again.

Now they're rubbing...

• Advertisement

i don't think the chainwheel is original. i did once give a biopace chainwheel from my old muddy fox courier comp to Alek, but i don't know if he ever used it. that said, i haven't seen him on here in ages.

It might not be, but I'd be very surprised. My uncle would not have been the sort to swap out components

Advertisement