Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭statto25

seligehgit wrote: »
    feargale wrote: »
    Can anybody tell me if Mayo played London in the hurling league this weekend and the result please. Thanks.

I've dropped somebody in the know a text. I'll PM you when I get a reply.

It's fixed for the first weekend in March I think in London

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Each and every player that gets a match day jersey needs to be a leader. The ceremonial thing of a captain is only needed for coin toss really and walking some steps on occasion.

I think Cillian appears to take the responsibility very seriously and I'm not entirely sure it's always been to the betterment of his own game.

I do agree though that is importance is overplayed but not for the individual who is afforded the honour.

Seamus O Malley and Sean Flanagan what Mayo player does not dream of following them?

statto25 wrote: »
    It's fixed for the first weekend in March I think in London

March 9th.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Cavan Review

Mayo News Football Podcast 2019

Episode 6

https://themayonews.podomatic.com/enclosure/2019-02-10T09_00_42-08_00.mp3.

BJP describing Kerry’s straight running at the dubs defence as “like Mayo at their best”, sure there’s no higher compliment

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

PARlance wrote: »
    Can't see it ever happening and can't see how he gets so many chances. He must do wonders in training.

He's far too slight, easily dispossessed, too greedy. It is harsh but he stands out for the wrong reasons too often.

I think he doesn’t respect possession enough, seems to be dispossessed far too often.

On Coen, I don’t know that he’s good enough, too slow and he gives absolutely nothing going forward. Maybe the full back line is his best position but a nippy corner forward would destroy him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Green&Red wrote: »
    I think he doesn’t respect possession enough, seems to be dispossessed far too often.

On Coen, I don’t know that he’s good enough, too slow and he gives absolutely nothing going forward. Maybe the full back line is his best position but a nippy corner forward would destroy him.

Decent option on the bench as a utility player, wouldnt see him as a starter.

Has he played at fullback before?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,394 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Green&Red wrote: »
    Cavan Review

Mayo News Football Podcast 2019

Episode 6

https://themayonews.podomatic.com/enclosure/2019-02-10T09_00_42-08_00.mp3.

BJP describing Kerry’s straight running at the dubs defence as “like Mayo at their best”, sure there’s no higher compliment
    Buckley influence.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Just a question that springs out of the Kerry Grading System thread... when did we drop the divisional sides from the County Championship? Mid 90s? I've no real memories of it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

PARlance wrote: »
    Just a question that springs out of the Kerry Grading System thread... when did we drop the divisional sides from the County Championship? Mid 90s? I've no real memories of it tbh.

Surely it was much earlier? Mid 70's?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

PARlance wrote:

I remember these from mid 90's(I think). Wasn't really a case of them being dropped moreso that there was zero interest from players and clubs in them. I know of players who wouldn't go forward as they wouldn't play with lads from the rival next door. Such rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭BandMember

I remember these from mid 90's(I think). Wasn't really a case of them being dropped moreso that there was zero interest from players and clubs in them. I know of players who wouldn't go forward as they wouldn't play with lads from the rival next door. Such rubbish.

Yeah, they tried to have 4 Divisional sides back in the mid to late 1990's but, as you rightly said, there was no interest in them from either the players or the clubs. It's a shame as there are some excellent players in Junior football who are clearly playing way below their level and it would be a great chance for them to play Senior Football and test themselves at that level without having to transfer clubs. I'd also argue that there were (going back years) and still are a number of them who should have got a shot at County level. The likes of Kerry never has any problem with playing lads from Junior clubs but for some reason, Mayo has always had a snobbery about picking from the Senior clubs. I don't know why. Must be all those All-Ireland's we're winning every year at all levels..... :rolleyes:

BandMember wrote: »
    Yeah, they tried to have 4 Divisional sides back in the mid to late 1990's but, as you rightly said, there was no interest in them from either the players or the clubs. It's a shame as there are some excellent players in Junior football who are clearly playing way below their level and it would be a great chance for them to play Senior Football and test themselves at that level without having to transfer clubs. I'd also argue that there were (going back years) and still are a number of them who should have got a shot at County level. The likes of Kerry never has any problem with playing lads from Junior clubs but for some reason, Mayo has always had a snobbery about picking from the Senior clubs. I don't know why. Must be all those All-Ireland's we're winning every year at all levels..... :rolleyes:

Big lost chance, from that other thread I mentioned... 10 of the 15 starters for Kerry vs Dublin were Intermediate (7) & Junior (3).
    *Granted they only have 8 Senior clubs as a result of the divisional sides.

PARlance wrote:
    Big lost chance, from that other thread I mentioned... 10 of the 15 starters for Kerry vs Dublin were Intermediate & Junior.

They all play senior though on a regular basis through the divisional sides. Our lads really don't have the exposure. Of our side last year, Zippy, Barrett, Donohue and Doc are intermediate. Am I missing anyone?

I asked someone who would know, even more recent than that. West Mayo had a team in the 2010 Championship. Only divisional team and had one in 09 too I think.

All 4 were around 2000-2004 and apparently West Mayo should have beaten Crossmolina en route to their All Ireland in 2000.

They all play senior though on a regular basis through the divisional sides. Our lads really don't have the exposure. Of our side last year, Zippy, Barrett, Donohue and Doc are intermediate. Am I missing anyone?

That was the point, giving lads from Junior/Intermediate clubs the chance to play Senior should be of benefit to the County team. Kerry have certainly been doing it right.

Vaughan up until his transfer.

PARlance wrote:
    Vaughan up until his transfer.

He rarely played with Ballinrobe anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

I wouldn't be a fan of using the Kerry system. They have to play their intermediate and junior county finals in April or May. Which means for the majority of club players in those championships, the main part of their football season is over before summer. You can hardly blame club players for not wanting that.

We have had a big spread of clubs represented by the county over the last few years. If we only had 8 senior clubs like Kerry then a lot of our panel would be playing intermediate club football and Keith Higgins would probably be playing junior.

Besides, Cork also use divisional sides in their football championships and it's not doing them any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭BandMember

I think you're missing the point - that's exactly what we're saying: no Divisional sides is hindering potential players from Junior clubs through a lack of exposure. How many gems have been overlooked at both underage and Senior level down the years just because they were from the wrong parish while lads of lesser talent from Senior clubs got on ahead of them? It's still rife at underage to the present day. Yet people why we don't win many All-Ireland's....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,711 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

John Morrison (2006) RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,146 ✭✭✭✭km79

I can tell you for a fact the 2006 panel were very happy under Moran and Morrison and did not want a change of management but the county board had other ideas.
    It was a great summer up until the final with a lot of great memories and iconic moments!
    May he Rest in Peace

km79 wrote: »
    I can tell you for a fact the 2006 panel were very happy under Moran and Morrison and did not want a change of management but the county board had other ideas.
    It was a great summer up until the final with a lot of great memories and iconic moments!
    May he Rest in Peace

Our great and most unexpected of victory's against Dublin will be forever remembered for the Mayo team's decision to head down to the hill.

The image of Pillar Caffrey famous shoulder from behind on John Morrison will remain forever etched in my memory.

May he rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭muddle84

km79 wrote: »
    May he Rest in Peace

Our great and most unexpected of victory's against Dublin will be forever remembered for the Mayo team's decision to head down to the hill.

The image of Pillar Caffrey famous shoulder from behind on John Morrison will remain forever etched in my memory.

May he rest in peace.

That was a fantastic day even though I had to watch it from the Irish centre in Leeds! An unforgettable game and year.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

I was in the canal end. Incredible atmosphere that was better than a final.

The quality of scores from Mort and McDonald was somaghong else. Plus good game management at end to run down clock.

Morrison will be missed. A deep thinker that related to players. The game will be weaker without him for sure.

The night before the big championship opener all roads lead to Rosie O Grady's 800 7th Avenue New York 7 PM to Midnight.

Admission 50 dollars at the door.

Guest appearances and talk by current team management.

Former players will be in attendance.

All funds going to the Mayo GAA training centre,Mayo Roscommon hospice and the Mayo New York GAA club.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,394 ✭✭✭irishgeo

The night before the big championship opener all roads lead to Rosie O Grady's 800 7th Avenue New York 7 PM to Midnight.

All funds going to the Mayo GAA training centre,Mayo Roscommon hospice and the Mayo New York GAA club.
    Lets hope all the money makes it home this time.

irishgeo wrote:

Wasn't there huge rumours of missing money from the last trip?

irishgeo wrote: »

Indeed twas a bit of Father Ted moment. Can't recall the exact details of the controversy.

Anyway here are details re the hosts/organisers.

Mayo GAA International Supporters Foundation

www.mayogaafoundation.org

• Registered Users Posts: 48,146 ✭✭✭✭km79

irishgeo wrote:

Wasn't there huge rumours of missing money from the last trip?
    Nah it was all found in Galway accounts

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Which fundraiser is this now....is it the one the players are boycotting, the one they are going to, the one Horan won't let them go to, or the one they are organizing themselves? And who is going to be in charge of the biscuit tin on the night? Or does everyone have a go at holding it? That seems fairer. And most importantly of all, what kind of biscuits are they....USA? ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement