Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

A solid if not particularly spectacular performance.

Our midfield hardly won one of our own kickouts off David Clarke's kickouts,likely to be a real issue if we go deep into the championship.

TBF Ger Cafferkey had a solid outing,a squad option but surely Brendan Harrison is in a pole position for the full back position.

Our full back line tonight looked a bit creaky.Eoin O Donoghue IMO should be a certainty as a championship starter.Chris Barrett is his main competition.

Stephen Coen was solid but tends to get a nose bleed when he gets within shooting distance.TBF his utility is working against him.It's doubtful he'll start in the full back line come championship,the half back line is ultra competitive with Michael Plunkett coming into the reckoning as a serious alternative to Colm Boyle.

Diarmuid's skilset is spectacular,his ability to handpass off of either hand,footpassing and another lovely second half score.His workrate is immense and distance covered off the richter scale.

Matthew had a solid if inconspicious inter county debut.I do believe his future is bright.

Fionn McDonagh impressed yet again with his willingness to get on the ball,his directness when attacking the goals.He has a beautiful languid style and took his score with aplomb.His lack of fear in taking on a shot was exemplified in his attempt off his weaker right foot.

Aidan O Shea is doing so much unappreciated hidden to the eye donkey work.His linkage of play is very good and he took his score from the mark in great style.

He moved between the full forward line and the full back position in the later stages.A truly selfless top performance by Aidan.He has never looked in better shape physically.

Jason Doc freetaking was on the mark and as usual his workrate was top class.

Andy Moran produced another performance that demonstrated why he is a former footballer of the year.

Tough night out for young Colm Moran who is in the infancy of what is potentially going to be a great stint playing for the green and red.

Very tough end for Evan Regan,looks like he may have dislocated his shoulder yet again.Hopefully it is far less serious.

He struggled to win his ball inside or he has a tendency to be lazy in his tackling leading to fouls.His shot selection continues to let him down.Unfortunately he tends to put the head down rather than looking up and oft it leads to turnovers.

Brian Reape came on and yet again had the confidence to take the shot on and take his score.More league minutes for Ciaran Treacy and James McCormack.A welcome return for Kevin Mc.

Good to see Seamie O Shea and Conor Loftus itching for action amongst the substitutes.

Big shout out for all the Cavan folk who made the journey.We'd a very pleasant convo with Dara McVeety's loved ones during the match.Lovely score to open the proceedings and he'd a very decent game while trying to hold down Aidan.

Onward to Croker to face a wounded animal.Yikes I'd imagine Jim Gavin may start not far off his strongest available team to make a statement of intent.We've an atrocious record in recent league matches against the Dubs.I'd like us to have a real go and I believe that's how James Horan will set us up.

TBF it was a cracking contest in Tralee.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭PressRun

Wont shut me up, still wouldnt have him near the squad. But we wont fall out over it.

Caff may have had a good personal performance, but there'll be tougher matches ahead and I don't think he's reliable enough. Would have Harrison all day long ahead of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭PressRun

seligehgit wrote: »
    Onward to Croker to face a wounded animal.Yikes I'd imagine Jim Gavin may start not far off his strongest available team to make a statement of intent.We've an atrocious record in recent league matches against the Dubs.I'd like us to have a real go and I believe that's how James Horan will set us up.

TBF it was a cracking contest in Tralee.

I'm interested to see both line outs for the Dublin match. I'd say Gavin will field a strong team after what transpired in Tralee. Wouldn't be surprised to see Cluxton back in the mix. He won't want another loss.
    Not sure what Horan will do. He could go strong as well and have a proper crack at them. Alternatively, it could be a good opportunity to give the youngsters a taste of Croke Park against a Dublin team that will want to win. See what they're really made of.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,938 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

RedDevil55 wrote: »
    Think he means why did Regan go off injured.

Sorry, misread that. Looked like a shoulder injury alright. How serious I don`t know, but hopefully it was more precautionary than anything else with him just back after a serious shoulder injury.

PressRun wrote: »
    I'm interested to see both line outs for the Dublin match. I'd say Gavin will field a strong team after what transpired in Tralee. Wouldn't be surprised to see Cluxton back in the mix. He won't want another loss.
    Not sure what Horan will do. He could go strong as well and have a proper crack at them. Alternatively, it could be a good opportunity to give the youngsters a taste of Croke Park against a Dublin team that will want to win. See what they're really made of.

From what I can see presently Mayo are one of the few teams that can go toe to toe with the Dubs believing they can beat them. I imagine there will be a strong temptation from Horan to field a side made up of as many old hands that know the Dubs inside out and lay down a marker.
    On the other hand he will know that there is going to be no place better than in their back yard to find out just what he has in those young lads coming through, with an eye to the championship.
    A tricky choice for him, but one that practically every manager in the country would love to have, but haven`t the luxury of the talent available to Horan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

charlie14 wrote:
    From what I can see presently Mayo are one of the few teams that can go toe to toe with the Dubs believing they can beat them. I imagine there will be a strong temptation from Horan to field a side made up of as many old hands that know the Dubs inside out and lay down a marker. On the other hand he will know that there is going to be no place better than in their back yard to find out just what he has in those young lads coming through, with an eye to the championship. A tricky choice for him, but one that practically every manager in the country would love to have, but haven`t the luxury of the talent available to Horan.

charlie14 wrote:
    From what I can see presently Mayo are one of the few teams that can go toe to toe with the Dubs believing they can beat them. I imagine there will be a strong temptation from Horan to field a side made up of as many old hands that know the Dubs inside out and lay down a marker. On the other hand he will know that there is going to be no place better than in their back yard to find out just what he has in those young lads coming through, with an eye to the championship. A tricky choice for him, but one that practically every manager in the country would love to have, but haven`t the luxury of the talent available to Horan.

Dublin always have an extra gear for Mayo and can always finish them off. This young Kerry team is the threat to Dublin going forward and if Mayo can't beat Galway where are they in reality. Mayo are living in the past. It's February and the ****e talk from mayo has already started. A few league wins V the two weakest tream's in the league and a weak Tyrone and we have to start listening to this crap again. Groundhog Day!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

crusier wrote:
    Dublin always have an extra gear for Mayo and can always finish them off. This young Kerry team is the threat to Dublin going forward and if Mayo can't beat Galway where are they in reality. Mayo are living in the past. It's February and the ****e talk from mayo has already started. A few league wins V the two weakest tream's in the league and a weak Tyrone and we have to start listening to this crap again. Groundhog Day!

Thanks Crusier. It's always helpful to read your posts as a counterpoint to the intelligent analysis in here. I look forward to the year ahead. Mind your blood pressure now. Would hate to loose ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,170 ✭✭✭✭km79

I prefer not to read them hence ignore list unless quoted ..........
    There are a fair few lads worried now alright after the reality check Dublin gave them last August
    No extra gear even needed .........

Also I am fairly sure Charlie 14 is a Dub so it wasn’t even a Mayo supporter talking us up

km79 wrote: »
    There are a fair few lads worried now alright after the reality check Dublin gave them last August

Also I am fairly sure Charlie 14 is a Dub so it wasn’t even a Mayo supporter talking us up

Charlie 14 is a Donegal man and a very good poster to boot.:)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

So next week I'm going to pick another player for the next match and claim they are sh"the....����
    Caff was brilliant,close call him and AOS for MOTM.
    Aidan has leaned up big time but again the abuse he took on and off the ball is ridiculous.
    Clarke worries me, his kickouts lead to possibly 4 points.
    Ruane looks very settled there, mobile, composed.
    Moran looks lovely, first game out so wouldn't like to judge anything.
    Regan could have got 2 or 3 points and his injury is unfortunate. Wish him the best with recovery.
    Zippy, doc, Doherty, McLaughlin, Andy all did as needed.

Good win, and 2 points. Next two games will tell a tale. But I'd be all on for pushing for league final berth. Keep saying winning is a habit, instils confidence in the team ,fear in opposition.

The squad is strong, that's adding a bite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,170 ✭✭✭✭km79

Charlie 14 is a Donegal man and a very good poster to boot.:)

My point stands . It wasn’t a mayo supporter talking us up . It was a neutral.

I suppose when you see the absolute PUKE being served up by our neighbors it’s no wonder they love watching and talking about us

• Registered Users Posts: 21,107 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

A few have mentioned it already, Clarke's kick-outs are a major concern. For an experienced County keeper in today's game, they're terrible.

He's a great keeper if you take the kicking away but it's impossible to ignore. If he's number 1 then a lot of work with have to be done on short kick-outs because each one he sends long is a high looping invitation for the opposition to run onto and field.

Seligehgit got it in one.

From knocking around with Mayo lads in years gone by, (and many many pints in Mick Byrne`s Castlebar) I would have a bit of a soft spot for Mayo, but when it comes to the GAA I call it like I see it.

Not like some of them Dubs that wouldn`t be beyond attempting to lull you into a false sense of comfort :)

Cavan Review

Mayo News Football Podcast 2019

Episode 6

https://themayonews.podomatic.com/enclosure/2019-02-10T09_00_42-08_00.mp3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭muddle84

kippy wrote: »
    Looked like Regan did the shoulder again alright which is unfortunate.

I don't mean to be harsh, but is Regan ever going to make it? He always seems too light and things never seem to go his way.

muddle84 wrote: »
    I don't mean to be harsh, but is Regan ever going to make it? He always seems too light and things never seem to go his way.

Can't see it ever happening and can't see how he gets so many chances. He must do wonders in training.

He's far too slight, easily dispossessed, too greedy. It is harsh but he stands out for the wrong reasons too often.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Coen fluffed one great chance where he pulled up early and could have went a bit further or looked for the goal.

Not sure if he is the finished article for this team as what's his best position?

He could possibly grow further into the team over the years but given the talent we have coming through, he needs to put down a marker and stake a claim for a jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

finisklin wrote: »
    Coen fluffed one great chance where he pulled up early and could have went a bit further or looked for the goal.

Not sure if he is the finished article for this team as what's his best position?

He could possibly grow further into the team over the years but given the talent we have coming through, he needs to put down a marker and stake a claim for a jersey.

Also agree on this, he is a fantastic athlete with a serious engine but that's enough imo. When he gets inside the 45, its almost like he starts to panic a bit and looks to offload.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

muddle84 wrote: »
    Also agree on this, he is a fantastic athlete with a serious engine but that's enough imo. When he gets inside the 45, its almost like he starts to panic a bit and looks to offload.

Possibly full back line or sweeper would be his best spot in the future. Given the talent we have there now, not sure if he will fit in. Maybe he's an all rounder that comes off the bench or does a job when a key man is injured. He's probably part of that supporting cast as opposed to the leading man.

One thing is for sure he needs to put down a serious marker which he has neglected to do over the last couple of years.....

• Advertisement

James Horan let the cat out of the bag on the podcast re open training sessions.TBH I'd seen the lads training in the distance from the warmth of the clubhouse whilst racking my head in vain for answers at quiz nights.:D

I'm not too sure he truly wants us paying homage.:)

TBF the point is entirely valid that Ger Caff suffered greatly with that hamstrung injury.

Again it is entirely valid that down through the years on occasions he's been left very isolated and offered little protection in the full back line.

He's suited towards a certain type of player.

Most certainly not a big physical player ak Donaghy or a very zippy player but I hope he continues to prove some of us wrong going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Can anybody tell me if Mayo played London in the hurling league this weekend and the result please. Thanks.

feargale wrote: »
    Can anybody tell me if Mayo played London in the hurling league this weekend and the result please. Thanks.

I've dropped somebody in the know a text. I'll PM you when I get a reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

I've dropped somebody in the know a text. I'll PM you when I get a reply.

Thanks for that.

Ok lads with Aidan getting the captaincy this weekend any takers that for the proposition he should retain it for the year?

Ok lads with Aidan getting the captaincy this weekend any takers that for the proposition he should retain it for the year?

Definately think he is the man for the job!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Personally think that the captaincy isn't all that important nowadays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Personally think that the captaincy isn't all that important nowadays.

Until they have a bad day and need someone to stand up and be a leader

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Until they have a bad day and need someone to stand up and be a leader

Each and every player that gets a match day jersey needs to be a leader. The ceremonial thing of a captain is only needed for coin toss really and walking some steps on occasion.

• Advertisement

Lot's more to captaincy than 70 mins and a coin toss.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement