Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭glack

charlie14 wrote: »
    Great win today folks. Especially up in Healy Park. McDonagh and Reape look the real deal and I thought Higgins was immense.
    Two points off Cavan at home and no worries.
    Interesting to see if ye have ended Mickey Harte`s reign. Can see some very serious questions raising their heads in Tyrone after that trouncing.
    Lets not get ahead of ourselves, it was a good performance but we are easily 6-8 weeks ahead preparation wise. Tyrone are probably not long back from their holiday. We have had many extremely slow starts to the league after being involved at final or semi-final days. You can’t write off Tyrone after a couple of dodgy league performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭blowitupref

glack wrote: »
    Lets not get ahead of ourselves, it was a good performance but we are easily 6-8 weeks ahead preparation wise. Tyrone are probably not long back from their holiday. We have had many extremely slow starts to the league after being involved at final or semi-final days. You can’t write off Tyrone after a couple of dodgy league performances.
    That's true, last year Tyrone had a near carbon copy start to the league. Great win for Mayo though who i think will target a place in the league final now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

That's true, last year Tyrone had a near carbon copy start to the league. Great win for Mayo though who i think will target a place in the league final now.

That really should be the minimum aim now. We've couldn't have asked for a better league schedule and today's result makes it look even better.

Get the two points next week and we really should be making the final and then going all out to win it. That could be the making of us. Usually at this time of the year we're looking at the fixtures and wondering where we're going to pick up points to stay up. But with the feel good factor of having Horan back, the new blood in the team playing well and the regulars looking well rested from the summer, now is the chance to lay down a marker for the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,107 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

That really should be the minimum aim now. We've couldn't have asked for a better league schedule and today's result makes it look even better.

Long way to go for me. Rossies at home and away to Tyrone early may be as easy as the fixtures come.

Great to get 4 points on board but 10 points will more than likely be required to get to a final. If you're looking at our home record then it's hard to see beating Cavan, Galway and Monaghan. 2 wins would see us having to beat the Dubs or Kerry away. It's still a huge ask if you ask me.

I'm still in the "glad we're nearly safe" corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,938 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I certainly would not write Tyrone off,and would be very surprised if they came close to relegation terriotory, but there is something not right with them. The weeks before the league they were flying it in the McKenna cup.

I know a good league is always a great boost going into the championship, but would Mayo really be serious about going on to win it ?
    I would have thought getting safe in the league and then use it to strengthen the squad would be the way to go.
    Other than Dublin winning it, the league has not done many teams any favours when the championship came around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭PressRun

Agreed. It was great to hear such a good performance, but we have had the benefit of a long break that Tyrone haven't had, and I wouldn't be surprised if there's an element of giddiness as well with the return of James Horan. Everyone keen to impress him, etc. I'm also reminded that we've taken a couple of bad beatings in the league over the years and it meant squat later on in the championship. So a good win is heartening to see especially since we haven't had a particularly good league in a long time, but not getting carried away. Tyrone will get better when it matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

PARlance wrote: »
    Long way to go for me. Rossies at home and away to Tyrone early may be as easy as the fixtures come.

Great to get 4 points on board but 10 points will more than likely be required to get to a final. If you're looking at our home record then it's hard to see beating Cavan, Galway and Monaghan. 2 wins would see us having to beat the Dubs or Kerry away. It's still a huge ask if you ask me.

I'm still in the "glad we're nearly safe" corner.

If we're sitting on six points from three games then you have to be looking to push on.

Fair point about the home record but Galway and Monaghan at home are still very winnable games. We owe Galway a beating and Monaghan is the last game, if it came down to it that we had to beat them I think we would. We've also a great record down in Kerry in recent years so a result there wouldn't be shocking.

We'll see how it fairs out but I still think that this is the year to do it with the nice league draw, the fact that we look fresh and have good competition in the squad for places.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭Squatman

Its awful easy to look good against bad opposition. I reckon before the league is out well br calling for resignations... of some of yesterdays star players

• Registered Users Posts: 15,102 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I think this talk of league finals is way too premature.

They have won two games, I know it's better than previous starts but one was a game that one could not read anything into because of the conditions and the other was against a team that are in the same place as Mayo have been in many previous years, i.e coming off an All Ireland appearance.

Now there is nothing wrong with winning by 9 in Tyrone and they are in a good place regarding staying in Div 1 but they still have to go away to Dublin and Kerry and have to try and get back to beating Galway.

If they came 3rd in the division after giving lots of new and fringe guys game time I'd be very happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Always_Running

You know expectations a gone a little OTT when Fr Tod is trying to dampen them :pac:

Seriously though under Horan Mayo nearly always reached the latter stages of league or be it there was semi finals when he was manager last.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Tyrone Review

Mayo News Football Podcast 2019 Episode 5

https://themayonews.podomatic.com/enclosure/2019-02-04T10_00_02-08_00.mp3

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

A few mayo lads were playing in sigurdson cup tonite at ucd. Didnt go to the match as it was a ****e evening but Matthew ruane,brian reape, shaoirze akram and stephem coen were all starting. Brian reape scored 4frees and mattew ruane scored a point

They'll hardly be starting on Saturday night post their exertions?

Details of the club championship draws for 2019.

https://mayogaa.com/news-detail/10048251/

Table toppers Mayo host Cavan in Round 3 of the Allianz Football league on Saturday in Elverys MacHale Park.

A win away to Tyrone last Sunday means Mayo have won their opening two league games for the first time since 2012. Saturday's team sees 5 changes from the one which started last Sunday's win.In to the side come David Clarke,Ger Cafferkey,Matthew Ruane,Evan Regan and Colm Moran.Dropping out are Rob Hennelly,Brendan Harrison,Donal Vaughan,Ciaran Treacy and Brian Reape.All that means Colm Moran will be making his debut while 2016 All Ireland under 21 winner Matthew Ruane will be making his first start in a senior jersey having come off the bench late on last Sunday.The team is captained by Aidan O Shea.

1. David Clarke - Ballina Stephenites
    2. Stephen Coen - Hollymount/Carramore
    3. Ger Cafferkey - Ballina Stephenites
    4. Keith Higgins - Ballyhaunis
    5. Lee Keegan - Westport
    6. Michael Plunkett - Ballintubber
    7. Paddy Durcan - Castlebar Mitchels
    8. Diarmuid O Connor - Ballintubber
    9. Matthew Ruane - Breaffy
    10. Fionn McDonagh - Westport
    11. Aidan O Shea - Breaffy
    12. Jason Doherty - Burrishoole
    13. Evan Regan - Ballina Stephenites
    14. Andy Moran - Ballaghaderreen
    15. Colm Moran - Westport

Great to see James Horan mixing it up so much.

Delighted we're getting to see Colm Moran and Matthew Ruane start.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

seligehgit wrote: »
    Table toppers Mayo host Cavan in Round 3 of the Allianz Football league on Saturday in Elverys MacHale Park.

A win away to Tyrone last Sunday means Mayo have won their opening two league games for the first time since 2012. Saturday's team sees 5 changes from the one which started last Sunday's win.In to the side come David Clarke,Ger Cafferkey,Matthew Ruane,Evan Regan and Colm Moran.Dropping out are Rob Hennelly,Brendan Harrison,Donal Vaughan,Ciaran Treacy and Brian Reape.All that means Colm Moran will be making his debut while 2016 All Ireland under 21 winner Matthew Ruane will be making his first start in a senior jersey having come off the bench late on last Sunday.The team is captained by Aidan O Shea.

1. David Clarke - Ballina Stephenites
    2. Stephen Coen - Hollymount/Carramore
    3. Ger Cafferkey - Ballina Stephenites
    4. Keith Higgins - Ballyhaunis
    5. Lee Keegan - Westport
    6. Michael Plunkett - Ballintubber
    7. Paddy Durcan - Castlebar Mitchels
    8. Diarmuid O Connor - Ballintubber
    9. Matthew Ruane - Breaffy
    10. Fionn McDonagh - Westport
    11. Aidan O Shea - Breaffy
    12. Jason Doherty - Burrishoole
    13. Evan Regan - Ballina Stephenites
    14. Andy Moran - Ballaghaderreen
    15. Colm Moran - Westport

Great to see James Horan mixing it up so much.

Delighted we're getting to see Colm Moran and Matthew Ruane start.

Ger Cafferkey :o:(

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Silent night

Great to see plunkett get another run out as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I'd say Reape will start instead of Andy. I hope he does. Full forward role is a tough one to master. Needs experience. If Horan is looking at Reape being some kind of successor to Andy, only way is to keep playing him - to see if he thrives with experience, or maybe not consistent enough to lay down a marker - like say Loftus.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I'd say Reape will start instead of Andy. I hope he does. Full forward role is a tough one to master. Needs experience. If Horan is looking at Reape being some kind of successor to Andy, only way is to keep playing him - to see if he thrives with experience, or maybe not consistent enough to lay down a marker - like say Loftus.

Reape was playing sigerson yesterday so Id say might need a bit of a rest, so hopefully see him 2nd half.
    Good to see the new lads coming in, they have great potential so hoping to see some it on Saturday, though 1st time out for them against a teak tough Cavan side.

Would have preferred to see the FB line kept in tact, familiarity breeds continuity and consistency, so they were better off keeping them there.
    Clarke in is an interesting one, doesn't do much for Hennellys confidence, but lets see.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

yop wrote: »
    Reape was playing sigerson yesterday so Id say might need a bit of a rest, so hopefully see him 2nd half.
    Good to see the new lads coming in, they have great potential so hoping to see some it on Saturday, though 1st time out for them against a teak tough Cavan side.

Would have preferred to see the FB line kept in tact, familiarity breeds continuity and consistency, so they were better off keeping them there.
    Clarke in is an interesting one, doesn't do much for Hennellys confidence, but lets see.

Don't see how it would affect Hennelly's confidence, he's played every game so far this year. Clarke was always going to get a run of games too.

• Advertisement

anyone else expecting a cavan win?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Squatman wrote:
    No

• Registered Users Posts: 15,102 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Squatman wrote: »

Cavan have come to Mayo not that long ago and won well.

I'd not take anything for granted this time of year.

Hopefully Mayo win, everything after that is gravy

• Registered Users Posts: 21,107 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Cavan have come to Mayo not that long ago and won well.

I'd not take anything for granted this time of year.

Hopefully Mayo win, everything after that is gravy

They were also fairly decent against Kerry last week and Kerry are meant to be in form. Very hard to tell at this time of year.

If that's the team that goes out, I would be worried. Too many changes imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Call me Al

No

Oh I don't know Martina... it's Mayo. After all these years I've learned to always expect the unexpected. They like to keep us in our toes intentionally or otherwise :-).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,137 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Call me Al wrote: »
    Oh I don't know Martina... it's Mayo. After all these years I've learned to always expect the unexpected. They like to keep us in our toes intentionally or otherwise :-).

In fairness, they've largely eliminated the 'shock defeats' in the championship since Horan's first coming. Before Kildare, when was the last time they lost to a significantly weaker (on paper) team? Okay they've suffered a few in the league, but by definition any defeat to another Div 1 team can hardly be deemed a massive shock...

In fairness, they've largely eliminated the 'shock defeats' in the championship since Horan's first coming. Before Kildare, when was the last time they lost to a significantly weaker (on paper) team? Okay they've suffered a few in the league, but by definition any defeat to another Div 1 team can hardly be deemed a massive shock...

So they might lose?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,137 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Squatman wrote: »
    So they might lose?

Kind of negated my own point there didn't I?:rolleyes:

Kind of negated my own point there didn't I?:rolleyes:

LOL, yea... this game has a sense of the irish rugby game about it. all and sundry expect us to win, so we will probably lose ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

I'd be a bit nervous about this one as well. It'll be a different type of game to last weekend. Cavan will be much more defensive than Tyrone and if this wind keeps up, it could end up like the Roscommon game.

The team named wouldn't fill you with huge confidence either. Ruane and Colm Moran are completely untested at this level. A couple others are lucky to be getting another chance. Don't know too much about the Cavan team but our full back line could be skinned for pace if Caff and Coen start there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement