Advertisement
Boards Golf Society are looking for new members for 2022...read about the society and their planned outings here!
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards

Becky Lynch Megathread - Rumors, opinions etc. (spoilers for most recent shows)

245

Comments



  • I think Becky deserves her one on one WM match with Ronda, they should main event

    Who was the last wrestler over as much as Becky, was it Bryan in his yes days




  • As things stand I cannot see Becky not main eventing and winning in said main event of Wrestlemania this year.

    They have made it the A story on Raw (and smackdown) over things like Rollins vs Brock and the entire storyline is turning into her not letting anyone take her moment away. The company are obviously behind her now too, hence her being made Stone Cold Becky Lynch in recent weeks and going up against the McMahon family. I really can't see them denying her that moment and in doing so ending their biggest show with a chorus of boos from the fans be they aimed at Charlotte or Ronda.




  • I think they'll main event, they wouldn't keep talking about it otherwise. But I think Charlotte could win, they showed last year they're not really bothered about going against the fans in the Mania main event.

    I just hope they don't do a shìtty screwjob angle.




  • J. Marston wrote: »
    I think they'll main event, they wouldn't keep talking about it otherwise. But I think Charlotte could win, they showed last year they're not really bothered about going against the fans in the Mania main event.

    I just hope they don't do a shìtty screwjob angle.


    Dunno, first ever womens' main event at Mania and the fans and now seemingly the company are behind Becky so I can't see why they would end it with something they would know would result in the everyone being pissed off especially when the storyline going into it is all about taking her moment away.




  • If/when Becky wins at Mania, I hope to God she doesn't do that most annoying thing that this generation of wrestlers all seem to do... crying after winning the belt.

    Get over it and show some respect for your character. Have a cry backstage if you want


  • Advertisement


  • sirmanga wrote: »
    If/when Becky wins at Mania, I hope to God she doesn't do that most annoying thing that this generation of wrestlers all seem to do... crying after winning the belt.

    Get over it and show some respect for your character. Have a cry backstage if you want

    Get what your saying but I wouldn't blame her if she did and tbh I think the reason people like Becky is because of the likable person she is not her character of The Man in a similar vein to how Daniel Bryan got over in many ways because he was just such a naturally likable person that people wanted to see do well. If she did cry it'd probably just again make her seem real and like someone you can associate with. Afterall as a youg girl from Dublin who loved wrestling she probably didn't even dream she could win the main event of Wrestlemania.




  • Get what your saying but I wouldn't blame her if she did and tbh I think the reason people like Becky is because of the likable person she is not her character of The Man in a similar vein to how Daniel Bryan got over in many ways because he was just such a naturally likable person that people wanted to see do well. If she did cry it'd probably just again make her seem real and like someone you can associate with. Afterall as a youg girl from Dublin who loved wrestling she probably didn't even dream she could win the main event of Wrestlemania.

    Oh I'm sure she'll be an emotional wreck if she wins. What a feat for a Dublin lass.
    But we won't be watching Rebecca Quin win the belt, it's Becky Lynch. The Man. 2019's Steve Austin. Stone Cold didn't cry after winning the belt, he just went to each corner and said fcuk yeah.

    Everyone is doing the breaking down crying thing now. Heel and face. It worked for someone like HBK because his storyline was the boyhood dream etc. But when I saw super heel Kevin Owens break down and cry after winning the Universal Title (with outside interference no less) I just couldn't believe what I was seeing.
    Yes, Kevin Steen had achieved something that he never thought would, but that's for him to reflect on in the back.

    The whole crying thing might be a Triple H directive. He knows the smart fans will love it.

    "Show them how much this means to you. Don't be a afraid to well up.... then I'll take a picture with you when you come through the curtain and post it to Instagram..."




  • sirmanga wrote: »
    Oh I'm sure she'll be an emotional wreck if she wins. What a feat for a Dublin lass.
    But we won't be watching Rebecca Quin win the belt, it's Becky Lynch. The Man. 2019's Steve Austin. Stone Cold didn't cry after winning the belt, he just went to each corner and said fcuk yeah.

    Everyone is doing the breaking down crying thing now. Heel and face. It worked for someone like HBK because his storyline was the boyhood dream etc. But when I saw super heel Kevin Owens break down and cry after winning the Universal Title (with outside interference no less) I just couldn't believe what I was seeing.
    Yes, Kevin Steen had achieved something that he never thought would, but that's for him to reflect on in the back.

    The whole crying thing might be a Triple H directive. He knows the smart fans will love it.

    "Show them how much this means to you. Don't be a afraid to well up.... then I'll take a picture with you when you come through the curtain and post it to Instagram..."

    I find this bizarre tbh.

    She's not a heel and she's not Austin so I fail to see the problem if she does get emotional. At one stage she thought she wouldn't wrestle again. For her to possibly be the first woman to main event Mania and win the title would be an incredible accomplishment and the idea that they'd have to TELL her to be emotional about that is laughable really.

    You say it worked for Michaels because it was the boyhood dream. Well, this is the girlhood dream so why shouldn't she cry? I'd agree Kevin Owens shouldn't have cried winning the title as a heel due to interference on Raw - that's hardly the same as winning the title as a babyface in the first ever women's main event of Wrestlemania having been on the pre-show a year earlier and having thought at one point you'd never have even made it to WWE. I mean, come on.

    And what's this about people crying only being a recent thing in this generation? Edge was in tears when he won the title cashing in the MITB briefcase (and he was also a heel). Benoit cried at Mania 20. Mysterio cried. Flair's promo at the Rumble when he won the title: "With a tear in my eye, this is the greatest day of my life." (And Flair cried about everything really and it hardly hurt him).

    Furthermore, why would I as a fan want Becky to cry quietly backstage? I want to see her emotional. I want this sh*t to mean something. Why would anyone want genuine feelings to be kept quiet? You'd rather more of the robotic pouting of her character in recent weeks? Seriously? I don't want a celebration involving 'The Man'. Save that for Smackdown if it's needed. If she wins at Wrestlemania I want a celebration involving Rebecca Quin.




  • If she gets emotional I can't blame her. Even though she's told in advance, it actually happening will hit hard.
    Look at someone like Lesnar who wins a title and it means nothing to him.




  • I don't like the decision to add charlotte to (potentially) the first female main event of wrestle mania as does she need to the shoehorned into everything ? I also wouldn't blame Becky if she did cry or showed emotion for all the reasons given by people above. It's grand to say that they are told before hand but that moment for any wrestler who grew up dreaming of wrestling in WWE and then to main event wrestle mania must be a mind melter when it does happen.


  • Advertisement


  • I find this bizarre tbh.

    She's not a heel and she's not Austin so I fail to see the problem if she does get emotional. At one stage she thought she wouldn't wrestle again. For her to possibly be the first woman to main event Mania and win the title would be an incredible accomplishment and the idea that they'd have to TELL her to be emotional about that is laughable really.

    You say it worked for Michaels because it was the boyhood dream. Well, this is the girlhood dream so why shouldn't she cry? I'd agree Kevin Owens shouldn't have cried winning the title as a heel due to interference on Raw - that's hardly the same as winning the title as a babyface in the first ever women's main event of Wrestlemania having been on the pre-show a year earlier and having thought at one point you'd never have even made it to WWE. I mean, come on.

    And what's this about people crying only being a recent thing in this generation? Edge was in tears when he won the title cashing in the MITB briefcase (and he was also a heel). Benoit cried at Mania 20. Mysterio cried. Flair's promo at the Rumble when he won the title: "With a tear in my eye, this is the greatest day of my life." (And Flair cried about everything really and it hardly hurt him).

    Furthermore, why would I as a fan want Becky to cry quietly backstage? I want to see her emotional. I want this sh*t to mean something. Why would anyone want genuine feelings to be kept quiet? You'd rather more of the robotic pouting of her character in recent weeks? Seriously? I don't want a celebration involving 'The Man'. Save that for Smackdown if it's needed. If she wins at Wrestlemania I want a celebration involving Rebecca Quin.

    I hate the crying thing because it's like the wrestler who is crying is saying "this is a real moment."
    So it lets us know that everything before that wasn't real. It just takes me out of the illusion that is wrestling.

    Most of the wrestlers who cried in the past had a reason to, or it fit their character. Edge was a feral, passionate sociopath. Mysterio was doing it for his dead best friend (cashing in on his dead best friend more like).
    But why would Becky cry.? Why would anyone want to see her cry? This is a fictional show, and she's playing a character. Not to take away from her personal accomplishment. But if she wants to show us how much it meant to the real Rebecca Quin, wait until the WWE 24 episode of this Mania comes out.

    Also, she IS being portrayed as a female Austin. At least she was until last night when she apologised. They are basically rehashing the Austin broken neck storyline from late 97.

    Just as when I'm watching any Christian Bale movie where he's lost a massive amount of weight or put a massive amount on, I don't want to think about how much effort has gone into his role, and it has no bearing on how I feel about the character he's playing. I just want to get caught up in the film.

    A great actor gets you involved in the performance to the point that you forget it's a performance. Of course, I know that wrestling is different to acting, but there's no denying that wrestling is a form of acting.

    I mean, what's next? At the end of Mania, will the entire roster, faces and heels, stand at the entrance way stage and all hold hands and bow?




  • CastorTroy wrote: »
    If she gets emotional I can't blame her. Even though she's told in advance, it actually happening will hit hard.
    Look at someone like Lesnar who wins a title and it means nothing to him.

    Exactly! Lesnar is a mercenary. That's his character. He's just there to make his money and go home. Why would he get emotional about the belt?




  • sirmanga wrote: »
    I hate the crying thing because it's like the wrestler who is crying is saying "this is a real moment."
    So it lets us know that everything before that wasn't real. It just takes me out of the illusion that is wrestling.

    Most of the wrestlers who cried in the past had a reason to, or it fit their character. Edge was a feral, passionate sociopath. Mysterio was doing it for his dead best friend (cashing in on his dead best friend more like).
    But why would Becky cry.? Why would anyone want to see her cry? This is a fictional show, and she's playing a character. Not to take away from her personal accomplishment. But if she wants to show us how much it meant to the real Rebecca Quin, wait until the WWE 24 episode of this Mania comes out.

    Also, she IS being portrayed as a female Austin. At least she was until last night when she apologised. They are basically rehashing the Austin broken neck storyline from late 97.

    Just as when I'm watching any Christian Bale movie where he's lost a massive amount of weight or put a massive amount on, I don't want to think about how much effort has gone into his role, and it has no bearing on how I feel about the character he's playing. I just want to get caught up in the film.

    A great actor gets you involved in the performance to the point that you forget it's a performance. Of course, I know that wrestling is different to acting, but there's no denying that wrestling is a form of acting.

    I mean, what's next? At the end of Mania, will the entire roster, faces and heels, stand at the entrance way stage and all hold hands and bow?

    I can see where you're coming from but I think you're looking at this from an acting perspective too literally. I get the point that we want a character to remain true to its roots, but as you say yourself this is not strictly acting. This is a weird analogy but imagine if at the Academy Awards, the actors had to show up as the characters they portrayed in the films. If in this scenario, Bale won the Best Actor award would it really ruin your view of the character if the man himself got choked up accepting the accolade?

    Becky may be portraying an Austin-esque character but everyone knows her personality is nothing like his. Steve wasn't the kind of person that would allow himself to get emotional even if he wanted to. I remember listening to a podcast he did about the match where he admitted to feeling Tyson's count had been too quick. He was such a perfectionist that this detail bugged him. I bet he was dwelling on that all night rather than the enormity of the win.

    You say Brock wouldn't get emotional because that's his character. It's rather his personality. He doesn't have it in him to do so. She does, and I think if she lets go and allows that personality to come through rather than suppressing it for her devotion to her role, it would actually do her good, as well as help her connect with the people watching. And that's what it ought to be about.




  • I can see where you're coming from but I think you're looking at this from an acting perspective too literally. I get the point that we want a character to remain true to its roots, but as you say yourself this is not strictly acting. This is a weird analogy but imagine if at the Academy Awards, the actors had to show up as the characters they portrayed in the films. If in this scenario, Bale won the Best Actor award would it really ruin your view of the character if the man himself got choked up accepting the accolade?

    But the Academy Awards are totally separate and distinct from a film that may be nominated at it. If Becky wants to break down and cry or get choked up on a Network special or at her Hall of Fame speech, then it's fine (although the Hall of Fame is as much a work as Monday Night Raw in my opinion).

    Let's put it like this, keeping it Irish, I'm sure Colin Farrell had to pinch himself when he shot his first scene under the direction of Steven Spielberg. When the scene finished he must have thought "my God. I've made it. All my work has paid off." He may have even gone back to his trailer and had a moment.

    But imagine if Farrell started weeping at the end of that first scene with Spielberg because he was so overcome. First of all, it wouldn't have been left in the final film, and second of all, Spielberg probably would have jumped down off his chair, bitch slapped Farrell and fired him on the spot.

    And I think it's fair to compare films and TV directly with wrestling. After all, speaking as a long time wrestling fan, it's our first line of defence when some smart arse condescendingly tells us wrestling is fake;

    "Go way! You know Game of Thrones is fake as well don't you?!" Etc

    It either is a fictional TV show or it isn't. We can't have it both ways.




  • christ imagine if we got Becky vs Nia at mania instead




  • So we are calling wrestlers by their given names now :rolleyes:




  • PTH2009 wrote:
    christ imagine if we got Becky vs Nia at mania instead


    Not happening. Maybe at Fastlane. Maybe.

    Becky is definitely going to be in that match, I'd eat my hat and an assortment of other hats if she isn't.




  • Necro wrote: »
    Not happening. Maybe at Fastlane. Maybe.

    Becky is definitely going to be in that match, I'd eat my hat and an assortment of other hats if she isn't.

    She’s 100% in the match and more than likely going to win. This is prime Mania build up season and they’re not going to waste their time pushing this story if they don’t have her in the plans. Nia is busy with the tag stuff (hopefully).




  • Half expected Nia to be brought out instead of Charlotte




  • sirmanga wrote: »
    It either is a fictional TV show or it isn't. We can't have it both ways.

    We have to though. That's the crazy thing about it. Ever see a WWE wrestler on a talk show like Conan O'Brien for example and there's this weird dynamic where they have to talk about their feud - fictional - and yet present it as if it's totally real? It's a weird hybrid and I think it has to be seen in that context.


  • Advertisement


  • sirmanga wrote: »
    Oh I'm sure she'll be an emotional wreck if she wins. What a feat for a Dublin lass.
    But we won't be watching Rebecca Quin win the belt, it's Becky Lynch. The Man. 2019's Steve Austin. Stone Cold didn't cry after winning the belt, he just went to each corner and said fcuk yeah.

    Everyone is doing the breaking down crying thing now. Heel and face. It worked for someone like HBK because his storyline was the boyhood dream etc. But when I saw super heel Kevin Owens break down and cry after winning the Universal Title (with outside interference no less) I just couldn't believe what I was seeing.
    Yes, Kevin Steen had achieved something that he never thought would, but that's for him to reflect on in the back.

    The whole crying thing might be a Triple H directive. He knows the smart fans will love it.

    "Show them how much this means to you. Don't be a afraid to well up.... then I'll take a picture with you when you come through the curtain and post it to Instagram..."

    This is one of the more curious sentiments I've ever seen from a wrestling fan.

    If wrestling were real, as we are supposed to think when watching it, then winning a championship - in the main event of Wrestlemania - would be the pinnacle of anyone's career, a sure fire reason to get emotional.

    You see competitors in UFC cry after big wins all the time, regardless of whether they're heels like Jones or McGregor or babyfaces like Cormier. Emotional responses to big wins in pro wrestling is sorely missing.

    Why you'd would want to eliminate the emotional peak from the story is a mystery to me.




  • Monokne wrote: »
    This is one of the more curious sentiments I've ever seen from a wrestling fan.

    If wrestling were real, as we are supposed to think when watching it, then winning a championship - in the main event of Wrestlemania - would be the pinnacle of anyone's career, a sure fire reason to get emotional.

    You see competitors in UFC cry after big wins all the time, regardless of whether they're heels like Jones or McGregor or babyfaces like Cormier. Emotional responses to big wins in pro wrestling is sorely missing.

    Why you'd would want to eliminate the emotional peak from the story is a mystery to me.

    Because wrestling isn't a sport. The reactions from the wrestlers are supposed to be, and should be, scripted. It's more comparable with a film or TV show than sport.

    I don't get how you think emotional reactions are sorely missed. It's always happening now. It's an embarrassment. Imagine at the end of the Deadly Games tournament if Rock started weeping.

    We all know it's scripted, so everyone should act like a professional.

    The crying thing is up there with WWE calling Nak the king of strong style. What? Strong style? That's a way of working a match. Why are they saying that on TV? If strong style is so good, why isn't every wrestler doing it then, in the context of the fictional show? It just makes no sense. It's like watching a Daniel Day Lewis movie and someone in the film refers to Day Lewis' character as the king of method.

    The crying after winning a belt is just as ridiculous. It's like everyone wants to have "a real moment" now. It's cringe worthy. As Stu Hart would have said, "show some discipline."




  • sirmanga wrote: »
    Because wrestling isn't a sport. The reactions from the wrestlers are supposed to be, and should be, scripted. It's more comparable with a film or TV show than sport.

    This makes absolutely no sense. :confused:

    Within the body of the show, it is a sport. What you're saying is analogous to me saying "Rocky shouldn't get emotional at the end of Rocky 2 when he wins the world title because it's scripted". It's not supposed to be scripted to Rocky. It's also not scripted to Becky Lynch.




  • Monokne wrote: »
    This makes absolutely no sense. :confused:

    Within the body of the show, it is a sport. What you're saying is analogous to me saying "Rocky shouldn't get emotional at the end of Rocky 2 when he wins the world title because it's scripted". It's not supposed to be scripted to Rocky. It's also not scripted to Becky Lynch.

    Exactly my point, thank you. Rocky cries because it fits his character. Clubber Lang didn't cry when he won. And Becky shouldn't cry because she's supposed to be a hard nut. Kevin Owen's shouldn't cry because he's a villain. Nobody should cry unless the storyline warrants it. Like a long emotional build up, such as HBK at Mania 12. Becky doesn't have that, she is now positioned as the anti authority arse kicker.
    Also, when they cry, it is the real person crying, not the character. That's what makes it so stupid.




  • Comparing her to Stone Cold is always gonna make her look bad. I don't get why it's a thing, from both sides.

    He's the greatest anti-authority figure ever and one of the best characters ever, Becky is just another one of the dozens since him who has gone against the Authority and is doing a good job. Using Stone Cold as the yardstick these days is silly.




  • sirmanga wrote: »
    And Becky shouldn't cry because she's supposed to be a hard nut.
    Also, when they cry, it is the real person crying, not the character. That's what makes it so stupid.

    Ah, I was unaware her character now has only one dimension. Perhaps there should be a PSA revealing this information. My impression was that she was still a multi faceted human being because that seemed to be more realistic and well rounded.

    As for your last point, Jesus dude, I don't know if I am more taken by your arrogance to make that assumption, or if we were to assume it was well founded, your cold heartedness at being bothered by it. Did someone tell you it wasn't ok to cry?

    Personally of the mindset that real emotion is the cornerstone of every truly great moment in this industry and I am not afraid of ,or uncomfortable with people expressing it, whether that be through tears or whatever other method.




  • Monokne wrote: »
    Ah, I was unaware her character now has only one dimension. Perhaps there should be a PSA revealing this information. My impression was that she was still a multi faceted human being because that seemed to be more realistic and well rounded.

    Yes, because wrestling is known for its nuances.




  • I would love Becky to have seats in the crowd for the next couple of weeks watching as a spectator. Feet up on the barricades relaxing




  • About the crying thing, literally don't see why anyone would have an issue. There are wrestlers in their locker rooms who will never get even a whiff of a title in their career, nevermind get truly 'over' in any sense. It's one thing to go out and put yourself out in the open for the entertainment of others each night, and another to do that and then be given a belt to indicate you're on the up and up.

    I'm not a wrestler, but I don't need to be one to know that if Vince pulled me aside and told me I was getting the belt tonight, after months or years of career build from the mids to an upper card (you'd be lucky to even get that far), then I'm not just going to poker-face the audience after the 1-2-3 and all the adrenaline of a match going through me, or ignore any thoughts of 'making it', or just the fact that it's likely I get to keep my job longer. You have no idea what can go through your head when you achieve something, even if that something is invariably in-ring fake - there is still meaning to it that the wrestler(s) themselves will feel more than Joe Soap viewer who is expecting it all to be a work.

    It doesn't matter that it's not a legitimate sport. It doesn't matter that a hefty portion of it is essentially acting. Saying any of them should not be allowed to show emotion is to ask for the small potential glimmers of ACTUAL realness to be cut out as well, in a 'sport' where we're meant to at least pretend like it's real. Some of them put on the emotion for character-sake, others you can tell where legitimately feeling the impact of having hit a new milestone in their career, especially if it's during a massive PPV or, heaven forbid, the grandest stage of them all. I'll never know what it's like to be a 'chosen one' of the wrestling business, but I sure as hell know not to criticise one if they genuinely get emotional over such a moment.


  • Advertisement


  • Who are all these people that cried?
    I care a lot less about WWE nowdays but can't recall many who produced the waterworks.
    The "you deserve it" thing bothered me but it quickly died out, thankfully.


Advertisement