Advertisement
Boards Golf Society are looking for new members for 2022...read about the society and their planned outings here!
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards

Becky Lynch Megathread - Rumors, opinions etc. (spoilers for most recent shows)

135

Comments



  • RopeDrink wrote: »
    I'm not a wrestler, but I don't need to be one to know that if Vince pulled me aside and told me I was getting the belt tonight, after months or years of career build from the mids to an upper card (you'd be lucky to even get that far), then I'm not just going to poker-face the audience after the 1-2-3 and all the adrenaline of a match going through me, or ignore any thoughts of 'making it', or just the fact that it's likely I get to keep my job longer. You have no idea what can go through your head when you achieve something, even if that something is invariably in-ring fake - there is still meaning to it that the wrestler(s) themselves will feel more than Joe Soap viewer who is expecting it all to be a work.

    The Jack Swagger. Wins the World title and acts like he just beat some local wrestler on Velocity.



    God he was awful.




  • J. Marston wrote: »
    The Jack Swagger. Wins the World title and acts like he just beat some local wrestler on Velocity.

    God he was awful.

    I get what he was going for but it came out horridly, it should have been a sort of smug look of "of course I'm the champ I'm the best"

    I do love Regals celebration when he wins the IC title if we're talking "real" celebrations where people don't cry




  • Who are all these people that cried?

    Post was aimed at the discussion up-top, eg. comments like (I hate the crying thing because it's like the wrestler who is crying is saying "this is a real moment"), etc etc.
    The Jack Swagger. Wins the World title and acts like he just beat some local wrestler on Velocity.

    Like most things in life you always have an opposite end of the spectrum. At the end of the day, people just have to remember that they're watching a soap-opera masquerading as a sport - but that doesn't mean its participants should be denied emotion, legitimate or otherwise. Sometimes they do it to make things seem more real (eg. check out Kurt Angle - he ALWAYS looked like a title win was a monumental occasion and this adds some oomph to the result - compared to above video where they're just nonchalant about it, heel or not). Then you have cases where stars literally cry for realsies, because as said, if you were busting your chops as a 'sports entertainer' and finally got the nod to rise up the card (or be at its peak), especially in an adrenaline fuelled aftermath infront of umpteen thousands of people, I challenge you to poker-face that situation, even if said title is fake.

    To us it's just another 'superstar' getting another belt with fake weight behind it, but to them (particularly the first time), it can have a meaning we won't have the full context of - be it the backdoor politics, or how much work it took to get there etc. It can be a big deal to some of those stars, and I'll never begrudge one for showing emotion (real or fake) when it comes to success and/or just doing your job of trying to make the illusion seem genuine.

    EDIT:
    I do love Regals celebration when he wins the IC title if we're talking "real" celebrations where people don't cry

    To be fair, Regal always was and always will be one of the most underrated stars.




  • Meh, Brock looks pretty full of emotion here:

    brock-lesnar_crop_north.jpg?1335159707&w=630&h=420

    (First title VS The Rock)

    And.... here as well...

    bvseshjieaeubq01.png

    I mean he isn't crying but he sure ain't no robot...






  • Most pointless suspension ever continues. Fully expect another appearance tonight :rolleyes:


  • Advertisement


  • Charlotte said she was going to be sitting front row tonight for the Ronda/Ruby match. I thought it would've been cool to have Becky do the same, as a "fan", directly across from Charlotte, staring her out of it.

    Instead it looks like we're going back to the injury angle and hop-along Becky.




  • J. Marston wrote: »
    Charlotte said she was going to be sitting front row tonight for the Ronda/Ruby match. I thought it would've been cool to have Becky do the same, as a "fan", directly across from Charlotte, staring her out of it.

    Instead it looks like we're going back to the injury angle and hop-along Becky.
    I hope in the scenario you've outlined that Ruby gets rewarded eventually for being an after thought when she's been a stand out performer since she debuted.




  • The angle with Becky attacking Rousey with the crutches last night makes Becky look like an asshole. It was a standard heel move. She's not a very likable character at the moment. She was the same on Raw last week, she just comes across as a spoiled brat instead of a tough girl.




  • sirmanga wrote: »
    The angle with Becky attacking Rousey with the crutches last night makes Becky look like an asshole. It was a standard heel move. She's not a very likable character at the moment. She was the same on Raw last week, she just comes across as a spoiled brat instead of a tough girl.

    Really? I don't think it came across that way? It was someone frustrated at having their opportunity robbed from them taking out said frustrations on the two people who are in the match that she should be in.

    Seems a legit reason to me.




  • Necro wrote: »
    Really? I don't think it came across that way? It was someone frustrated at having their opportunity robbed from them taking out said frustrations on the two people who are in the match that she should be in.

    Seems a legit reason to me.

    I get your point, but its not their fault, its Vinces fault, Ronda is the champ, so shes already in the match, and charlotte was picked by Vince, she could'nt turn the opportunity down, could be said, shes taking her frustration out on the wrong people


  • Advertisement


  • I get your point, but its not their fault, its Vinces fault, Ronda is the champ, so shes already in the match, and charlotte was picked by Vince, she could'nt turn the opportunity down, could be said, shes taking her frustration out on the wrong people

    Perhaps, I don't think it makes her look like an asshole as above though. Charlotte lording it up getting the shot instead of the actual Rumble winner and boasting about it nullifies any sympathy one would have for her.

    As for Rousey, it'd be weird if she was left standing there awkwardly while Becky beats up Charlotte.

    Case of damned if you, damned if you don't imo.




  • Necro wrote: »
    Really? I don't think it came across that way? It was someone frustrated at having their opportunity robbed from them taking out said frustrations on the two people who are in the match that she should be in.

    Seems a legit reason to me.

    I get that Becky is frustrated and was taking out her anger etc. But why the crutches? If she just came in and beat down Rousey it would be a more acceptable action for a babyface. After all, Rousey isn't a heel. What has she done to deserve being beaten down with a crutch by another face, apart from being the champion?

    Whatever about beating up Charlotte, but Becky basically swerved turned on Rousey. If it was my first time watching WWE in ages I would have thought that it was a very good heel turn.

    WWE are over complicating a storyline which should be straightforward; Becky wants to win the title at Mania. But now we've got doctors, McMahons, crutches, heelish beat downs, another woman involved in the match essentially making Rousey a third wheel in a match where she's the defending champion, like The Rock at Summerslam 2000. Well, at least until last night, now Rousey has a reason to be involved in the story seen as she was beat up with a crutch for no reason by a fellow babyface.




  • sirmanga wrote: »

    WWE are over complicating a storyline which should be straightforward; Becky wants to win the title at Mania. But now we've got doctors, McMahons, crutches, heelish beat downs, another woman involved in the match essentially making Rosuey a third wheel in a match where she's the defending champion, like The Rock at Summerslam 2000. Well, at least until last night, now Rousey has a reason to be involved in the story seen as she was beat up with a crutch for no reason by a fellow babyface.

    In that case it worked then :D

    I think half the problem is that they want to try and portray Becky as this 'Stone Cold-lite' type antihero and it just doesn't work. It can't be replicated, no matter how hard they try. The whole Authority involvement has just been pants anyways and stinks of the McMahons having to get their greasy paws on anything remotely popular as usual.




  • Necro wrote: »
    In that case it worked then :D

    I think half the problem is that they want to try and portray Becky as this 'Stone Cold-lite' type antihero and it just doesn't work. It can't be replicated, no matter how hard they try. The whole Authority involvement has just been pants anyways and stinks of the McMahons having to get their greasy paws on anything remotely popular as usual.

    Well if Becky is supposed to be a heel now then it was brilliant heel turn, no doubt. But it wasn't a heel turn. I don't even know what it was. Why is Becky back on crutches? I know they did an angle at a house show to re injure her knee. It now looks like they got her on crutches simply so she could beat down Rousey and Charlotte with crutches at the PPV.

    Becky should have been left off TV until the Ric Flair birthday bash in a few weeks. WWE must think fans have short memories, "we must keep Becky on TV in case they forget about her" or some such nonsense.

    It's like when they did the Punk leaving with the belt angle, which should have run for the summer, but then brought him back after 8 days.




  • I disagree. The crowd were 100% behind becky, even cheering her name before the actual riot/rousey match started. How anyone would think that was a heel turn is beyond me.

    Herself and Ronda have been feuding since the night of evolution. Charlotte, as mentioned by someone else earlier, is lording it up over becky, the royal rumble winner. Becky appears to me to be portraying a tweener character, someone who beats up the bad guys and good guys. She's 'suspended' until after wrestlemania and is going out of her way to extract revenge on everyone who is involved.

    Unless someone had the mute button on and couldnt hear the crowds reaction, then I dont know how they could see that as a heel turn.




  • People are looking for too much nuance in WWE storylines, in my opinion.

    Ronda cost Becky her title and she wants to prove she's better and then Charlotte stole her spot, that's all the reason I need for her to want to beat the bejesus out of them.




  • not sure if this was posted elsewhere, but the journal had a piece on Becky last night.

    https://www.the42.ie/beck-lynch-interview-4491978-Feb2019/




  • Last night was a page right out of the "Stone Cold" handbook. The "bad-ass" face has been screwed, and so is going to raise hell until she's inserted back into the match. The crowd seemed to adore it too.




  • J. Marston wrote: »
    People are looking for too much nuance in WWE storylines, in my opinion.

    Ronda cost Becky her title and she wants to prove she's better and then Charlotte stole her spot, that's all the reason I need for her to want to beat the bejesus out of them.

    Yeah, exactly. I don't want any nuance in the story. But WWE are complicating it. Attacking somebody with a crutch isn't being a badass. It doesn't matter if the crowd cheered. It weakens Becky as a character. She apologised last week, now she attacks a babyface with a crutch. The fans might still be cheering, but WWE have a way of slowly eroding performers until the fans have no reason left to cheer.




  • Lord TSC wrote: »
    Last night was a page right out of the "Stone Cold" handbook. The "bad-ass" face has been screwed, and so is going to raise hell until she's inserted back into the match. The crowd seemed to adore it too.

    Nah, Stone Cold wouldn't have done that. He would have doled out stunners left and right, to babyfaces and heels, but he wouldn't have used a weapon to viciously beat down another face.

    And the fact that the crowd cheered doesn't matter. Everyone used to mark out over Charlotte and Sasha, huge pops, but over time, through terrible booking and force feeding, the audience got fed up. If WWE keep this up with Becky she will just be another character on the show in a few months.


  • Advertisement


  • Also, I have a very strong feeling that Rousey will win the 3 way match at Mania. Why? Because everyone is expecting Rousey to go away for a while after Mania, same situation as Brock a couple of times. Vince will think it's too obvious for her to lose, he'll think Rousey has lost some heat and is looking weak in the build up to Mania, so he'll have Rousey tap out Charlotte. Everyone will be shocked. And Rousey will stay around for another month and have a singles match with Becky.

    Might sound stupid but we've seen it many times. Things that make no sense. The day after Mania we'll see reports about Vince chaging his mind to have Rousey go over just hours before the match.

    Just look at past Manias to see how they've done things that made the preceding storylines worthless.




  • sirmanga wrote: »
    Also, I have a very strong feeling that Rousey will win the 3 way match at Mania. Why? Because everyone is expecting Rousey to go away for a while after Mania, same situation as Brock a couple of times. Vince will think it's too obvious for her to lose, he'll think Rousey has lost some heat and is looking weak in the build up to Mania, so he'll have Rousey tap out Charlotte. Everyone will be shocked. And Rousey will stay around for another month and have a singles match with Becky.

    Might sound stupid but we've seen it many times. Things that make no sense. The day after Mania we'll see reports about Vince chaging his mind to have Rousey go over just hours before the match.

    Just look at past Manias to see how they've done things that made the preceding storylines worthless.

    Not this year. Either Charlotte taps or eats the pin or Ronda does, but there is no way they are going to send the crowd home unhappy, especially if its in fact the main event. Since daniel bryan won at wm30, they have done what they want every year since and have being booed because of it, bar seths run-in. If they are going to listen to the fans and have the first ever womens main event at wm, then there is only one winner. And she isnt american.




  • dusty bin wrote: »
    Not this year. Either Charlotte taps or eats the pin or Ronda does, but there is no way they are going to send the crowd home unhappy, especially if its in fact the main event. Since daniel bryan won at wm30, they have done what they want every year since and have being booed because of it, bar seths run-in. If they are going to listen to the fans and have the first ever womens main event at wm, then there is only one winner. And she isnt american.

    I disagree. Just because they've gone against the fan's wishes at recent Manias doesn't mean they'll change now.

    And from a booking view; Becky has had Charlotte's number throughout the feud since last year, beating her clean twice. Can't see her doing it three times in a row. Also, Ronda Rousey is not tapping out to a pro wrestler's version of the armbar. Plus imagine the pull someone like Ric has!

    With Vince in her corner, I imagine they'll try some cheap version of WM17's ending where Charlotte beats Becky's legs with a chair a dozen times before making her tap.

    But I am a pessimist.




  • J. Marston wrote: »
    I disagree. Just because they've gone against the fan's wishes at recent Manias doesn't mean they'll change now.

    And from a booking view; Becky has had Charlotte's number throughout the feud since last year, beating her clean twice. Can't see her doing it three times in a row. Also, Ronda Rousey is not tapping out to a pro wrestler's version of the armbar. Plus imagine the pull someone like Ric has!

    With Vince in her corner, I imagine they'll try some cheap version of WM17's ending where Charlotte beats Becky's legs with a chair a dozen times before making her tap.

    But I am a pessimist.

    I understand where you're coming from, its the wwe after all, but there has been the odd mania every 5-10 years that has the fans ending they wanted. Think of WM 30 and WM 20, two years where there was a triple threat in the main event. To me Charlotte is the Triple H and Randy Orton of this years event with Ronda playing the shawn michaels and batista roles. On both those occasions, the fans wanted one winner and boo'd the hell out of the likes of michaels and batista against the wishes of the wwe. This year Becky is the Daniel Bryan and Cough Cough of the previous years. After last years stinker of a main event, coming off the two years previously when Reigns was booed for winning, I do not see them ending on a bad note for a fourth year in a row.

    If its not the main event, then Becky loses, but if it is, then i only see Becky winning. I do realise she has had Charlottes number since summerslam and Ms. Flair should be due a win against her, but I dont see it at wm. I would usually be a pessimist too, just not this year.




  • Rousey is Becky's rival. One who appeared to accept the change of match. Becky beats them both with a crutch so they both want her off suspension and in the match.

    It is not about face or heel, fans got behind her while she was acting for herself, that should not change just because fans start to cheer.




  • With WWE it's a case of past performance being the best indicator for future results.

    They have years of form now for for letting the fans down.




  • If WWE really want get Becky over as true rebel they should have her rush the ring wearing her wrestling gear at the next Saudi show. And then have her be arrested by royal guards.

    It might not get over on the night, but it would give the crowd a bit of a breather before the Bret Hart, Stone Cold and Hulk Hogan vs Vince McMahon, Ted DiBiase and Shawn Michaels six man tag main event that the Saudi Prince ordered.




  • sirmanga wrote: »
    If WWE really want get Becky over as true rebel they should have her rush the ring wearing her wrestling gear at the next Saudi show. And then have her be arrested by royal guards.

    It might not get over on the night, but it would give the crowd a bit of a breather before the Bret Hart, Stone Cold and Hulk Hogan vs Vince McMahon, Ted DiBiase and Shawn Michaels six man tag main event that the Saudi Prince ordered.

    There’s not a chance of them potentially jeopardizing the Saudi money like that. And they wouldn’t allow it if they were asked.




  • Pentecost wrote: »
    There’s not a chance of them potentially jeopardizing the Saudi money like that. And they wouldn’t allow it if they were asked.

    That was a joke.
    Although, it would be far more entertaining than what they're doing with Becky now.


  • Advertisement


  • Well The Man is main eventing WM


Advertisement