Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leitrim GAA Discussion Thread

• 05-02-2019 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭

Unless I’m mistaken lovely Leitrim doesn’t have a discussion thread so here goes 😀

Two league wins out of two games played, first time in years we have started the league with two consecutive victories.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Great to see a thread for lovely Leitrim up and running.:)

Top of the table.

Fair tonking you gave Wexford with a nice follow up win in Wicklow.

Best of luck with the new thread and I hope you get a few more disciples on board.

I'm sure you'll have an interesting discussion with your neighbouring Roscommon posters in the run up to the championship!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Terry doing good things. Hope it continues

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

You just need to come up with a daycint social meeja tag, like #CarlowRising have for their own dastardly plan for world domination.

#LovelyLeitrim lacks that certain 'je ne sais quoi' hardy bucks element to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭quidel

Best of luck to Leitrim this weekend versus Antrim. It’d be great to see Leitrim achieve some long overdue success. Will follow with great interest how they go in 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,335 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

seligehgit wrote: »

I'm sure you'll have an interesting discussion with your neighbouring Roscommon posters in the run up to the championship!

Hello Laytrum folk, a Rossie coming in peace here, to spy on what ye hoors are at :)

No, I've lived and worked in and out of Leitrim for years and up until the last 5 or so years have enjoyed the traditional rivalry. It's been sad to see the decline in standards in Leitrim intercounty football recently, so it's good to see ye seem to have bottomed out, and hopefully ye have a good league campaign. Some good individual players there, the likes of Shane Quinn would hold his own on most IC sides.

Now, i'll return to stealth mode.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Out of interest, when was the last time the Leitrim footballers played in Croke Park?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,198 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Out of interest, when was the last time the Leitrim footballers played in Croke Park?

In championship, I'd say it was 1994 in the all-ireland semi final after they winning the connacht final. In the league, I wouldn't have a clue tbh.

As a Galway man, just good luck with the thread and the year ahead. Young O'Rourke looks a serious prospect for Leitrim, if himself and emlyn Mulligan get on the pitch together, they'd prove a handful for many teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

2006 Tommy Murphy cup final, same day Mayo famously beat Dublin in all Ireland semi (hillgate) https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/louth-take-tommy-murphy-cup-274130.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

rossie1977 wrote: »
    2006 Tommy Murphy cup final, same day Mayo famously beat Dublin in all Ireland semi (hillgate) https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/louth-take-tommy-murphy-cup-274130.html

Famously the day Ros minors bet Meath in All Ireland Semi final!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭VeryTerry

ProudDUB wrote: »
    You just need to come up with a daycint social meeja tag, like #CarlowRising have for their own dastardly plan for world domination.

#LovelyLeitrim lacks that certain 'je ne sais quoi' hardy bucks element to it.

How about #gameofgossuns

• Advertisement

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Cheers. I think they've gone the longest of all intercounty football teams without an appearance in Croke Park (apart from Kilkenny and New York of course).
    Would be great to see them promoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Gael85

Cheers. I think they've gone the longest of all intercounty football teams without an appearance in Croke Park (apart from Kilkenny and New York of course).
    Would be great to see them promoted.

The last league game Leitrim played in Croke Park was 1995 a couple months after Dublin All Ireland win. Pat O'Neill resigned as manager after the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Yet another win although we struggled in the last ten minutes.

1/12 to be promoted now. Looking very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 johnconnors

Was up that country last year and bought the Leitrim Observer. Was delighted to see generous coverage of some club hurling matches.

Looking like it'll be four points ahead of third spot with three games left. Win against London next weekend and ye will be all but promoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Leitrim had to grind out that win this afternoon. Two points down at half time and got the win when Gary Plunkett kicked the winner in the 5th minute of injury time. 11 years ago is apparently when they were relegated to Div 4 good to see them finally rise up and out of the bottom division.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gigantic09

Congrats on achieving promotion today and best of luck in the final. Yee have a tough draw in connacht, away to the rossies, but they won't be taking anything for granted. Great to see progress after many years in the wilderness and hope it continues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭quidel

Brilliant season so far for Leitrim and hopefully they can continue their winning ways onto the summer. Congratulations.

Congrats to Leitrim.
    Cmon lads there has to be more people from Leitrim on here.

• Advertisement

Well done Leitrim.

Ye are this year's version of Carlow.

Nothing to loose in the final against Derry.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Well done Leitrim!Where's our Leitrim friend Bleating Lamb?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Congrats to Leitrim delighted for them and hope they can hold their own in Div 3 like Carlow are currently doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,335 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Well done to the noisy neighbours, great series of results this spring.

Now, don't get lost on the way to Croke Park lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 brandy21

I hope all this publicity does not go to our heads!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Well done to Terry Hyland and the crew. Terry doesn’t always get the plaudits he deserves here in his own county.

Looking at reports, it looks as though there were around 4000 at the game on Sunday. That's a seriously impressive crowd given the population of Leitrim is just over 30000.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

RMAOK wrote: »
    Well done Leitrim.

Ye are this year's version of Carlow.

Nothing to loose in the final against Derry.

Dont compare them to Carlow.....they play a better brand of football than Carlow

Dont compare them to Carlow.....they play a better brand of football than Carlow

I was referring to a small enough county (both in geographical and population terms) advancing out of division 4. Nothing to do with playing style tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

seligehgit wrote: »
    Well done Leitrim!Where's our Leitrim friend Bleating Lamb?:)

Am here.....already planning the trip to Croke Park for the final.....would be a little fearful of Derrys greater pedigree but in a one off game anything is possible.

Advertisement