Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think nurses will get their payrise?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭RinusLaptop76

Augeo wrote: »
    Someone was claiming nurses come out of college with loans to pay back for their college fees etc.

As there are no deferred payment products in Ireland for students. Thats not true.

I am the one claiming, use my name, and information comes from my wife, a staff nurse.

I think I'll take up nursing, since it is completely free according to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

David73 wrote: »
    I've just seen a woman dressed as a nurse begging on Grafton street and the public were handing her fivers, twenties, etc. She had a good bundle of cash.

Meanwhile a 3 minute walk later I saw a woman and child in tattered clothes that looked gaunt with hunger begging, and everyone was walking past them.

What does this tell us about our society?

Then what happened, you woke up?
    It's the overworked underpaid Doctors that have the 100k loans not them whiney nurses

:pac::pac::pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 162 ✭✭David73

I live just off Grafton Street, I must walk up and down the street a dozen times most days, and I've never seen the person you're referring to - I reckon I would recognise most people begging on that street and areas around it.

Maybe it's her first day, but I smell BS here.

At 2.15pm on Grafton street just down from MandS

I am the one claiming, use my name, and information comes from my wife, a staff nurse.

I think I'll take up nursing, since it is completely free according to you.

Maybe your wife is incorrect ?
    Ask her how much these nursing graduates allegedly owe, let us know the response.

It's the overworked underpaid Doctors that have the 100k loans not them whiney nurses

I would think that's more likely.
    Many do medicine as a post grad after using up their 4 free years on another course in their younger years.

• Advertisement

Maybe your wife is incorrect ?
    Ask her how much these nursing graduates allegedly owe, let us know the response.

How about you being incorrect? How can you be 100% sure nursing students do not have any loans?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

What Irish banks lend money to students with 3 or 4 year deferred payments?

I'm not a banker but a quick google brought up this : https://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/borrow/loans/student-loans/five-percent-student-loan/features-benefits/?ev_sid=10&ev_ltx&ev_lx=kwd-75041841040854:loc-92&ev_crx=75041753558712&ev_mt=p&ev_dvc=c&ev_phy=1757&ev_loc=92&ev_cx=348380920&ev_ax=1200667095641050&ev_ex&url&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Generic%20%7C%20Student%20Loan&utm_term=%2Bstudent%20%2Bloan&utm_content=Student%20Loan&gclid=CP2JkO-zseACFUOFhQod-9AKdQ&gclsrc=ds

Look - you made a statement. It's been proven to be inaccurate.

You can quibble all you wish but the fact remains that there are students (not just nursing students) who have to borrow to fund their education. Whether that is from a bank/credit union/loan shark is not material to that fact that 3rd level education is not effectively free as you claimed.

I borrowed from the credit union for my 2nd degree and post-grad (neither of which were free). I was lucky enough to win several competitive scholarships- including ones that funded my fees- and by working part-time my debts at the end were not too horrendous.

But I still owed the bones of €7k at the end of it all.

That was after winning scholarships that paid my fees and gave me an income of 10k a year plus working part-time in paid employment as a tutor, invigilating exams, correcting scripts, etc. Trust me, I wasn't partying - I didn't have the time or money. I was paying for my rent, bills, text books, transport, food, trips for research vital to my PhD...

How about you being incorrect? How can you be 100% sure nursing students do not have any loans?

This is more ****e talk

Nurses get paid during their training in 4th year and can work in nursing homes during the summer and are entitled to the free fees initiative like every other citizen. Pharmacists and Teachers dont get paid for training/work experience.

If nurses are leaving with debt as you claim it's down to catastrophic bad personal financing on their part!

I didn't say that..... you suggested they have all their fees etc to pay back after I commented that if they can afford to be students they can manage away on graduate nurse wages :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

I didn't say that..... you suggested they have all their fees etc to pay back after I commented that if they can afford to be students they can manage away on graduate nurse wages :)

Managing away at being students is very subjective. Some students are living on the line while working and studying. There's foodbanks at Universities for this very reason. There are people who some weeks can't feed them selves but sure I suppose they're just money hungry nurses looking for a free meal?

• Advertisement

Bannasidhe wrote: »

Look - you made a statement. It's been proven to be inaccurate.

....no deferred payments there. Just a long term.

I borrowed from the credit union for my 2nd degree and post-grad (neither of which were free). I was lucky enough to win several competitive scholarships- including ones that funded my fees- and by working part-time my debts at the end were not too horrendous.

But I still owed the bones of €7k at the end of it all.

That was after winning scholarships that paid my fees and gave me an income of 10k a year plus working part-time in paid employment as a tutor, invigilating exams, correcting scripts, etc. Trust me, I wasn't partying - I didn't have the time or money. I was paying for my rent, bills, text books, transport, food, trips for research vital to my PhD...

Your SECOND degree.... your first was effectively free.
    Most nurses do nursing immediately after the leaving cert.

Miike wrote: »
    Managing away at being students is very subjective. Some students are living on the line while working and studying. There's foodbanks at Universities for this very reason. There are people who some weeks can't feed them selves but sure I suppose they're just money hungry nurses looking for a free meal?

Lol
    No nurse students from normal backgrounds where they aren't starving?

Folk love the extreme view.

You say that not a single nursing student has a loan since it is free, and I didn't suggest that all have loans, but if I did I stand corrected, but there are students that have loans to pay back, and the study is not free.

This is more ****e talk

Nurses get paid during their training in 4th year and can work in nursing homes during the summer and are entitled to the free fees initiative like every other citizen. Pharmacists and Teachers dont get paid for training/work experience.

If nurses are leaving with debt as you claim it's down to catastrophic bad personal financing on their part!

And with the wages they get in the 4th year they can pay for the costs of studying the 4th year as well as pay back the loan for the previous 3 years?? Now that is bullsh1t sir, you are lying as well, I worked through college, and still ended up with a high enough student loan to pay back, and I can thank my parents for my loan not being higher.

Happy trolling David73;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I've just seen a woman dressed as a nurse begging on Grafton street and the public were handing her fivers, twenties, etc. She had a good bundle of cash.

Meanwhile a 3 minute walk later I saw a woman and child in tattered clothes that looked gaunt with hunger begging, and everyone was walking past them.

I know what you mean. I just walked out my door and saw Donald Trump begging . People were stuffing hundreds down his pants. Totally bonkers. Then I turned the corner and I saw a girl wearing fig leaves riding a unicorn. Wow

Society today aye!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

You say that not a single nursing student has a loan since it is free, and I didn't suggest that all have loans, but if I did I stand corrected, but there are students that have loans to pay back, and the study is not free.

That argument can be applied to all students and alot who do not start on the same salary as nurses, so what is your point?

And with the wages they get in the 4th year they can pay for the costs of studying the 4th year as well as pay back the loan for the previous 3 years?? Now that is bullsh1t sir, you are lying as well, I worked through college, and still ended up with a high enough student loan to pay back, and I can thank my parents for my loan not being higher.

Happy trolling David73;)

Oh great, when you disagree with something I must be a troll.

If you say I'm lying can you show me concrete evidence where all nurses or graduates are leaving with loans? I have a primary degree and a Masters and I have no loans and got no financial help. But guess what? I kept my old battered car on the road while studying and didn't feel the need to take out a loan to get a new car to be cool. Thant's where the majority of loans are coming from more likely and not related to student debt.

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    That argument can be applied to all students and alot who do not start on the same salary as nurses, so what is your point?

Read back on earlier comments I made, this has been pulled out of context.

Yes Engineers start on a lower salary and an engineering course is far more academically challenging than a nursey degree

Ok fair enough if it has, but that argument about loans and not being able to afford to live in Ireland on 40k(low estimate) salary are ridiculous to make.

• Advertisement

You claimed they couldn't manage on their wages due to significant student loans....that was the context.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,108 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

mad muffin wrote: »
    I know what you mean. I just walked out my door and saw Donald Trump begging . People were stuffing hundreds down his pants. Totally bonkers. Then I turned the corner and I saw a girl wearing fig leaves riding a unicorn. Wow

Society today aye!?

There was similar rubbish in the irish Times three weeks ago, a nurse supposedly broke, more rubbish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Varta

I think it tells us more about you... and the status of your health.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,325 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Everyone has to pay for their postgrad.

Oh great, when you disagree with something I must be a troll.

If you say I'm lying can you show me concrete evidence where all nurses or graduates are leaving with loans? I have a primary degree and a Masters and I have no loans and got no financial help. But guess what? I kept my old battered car on the road while studying and didn't feel the need to take out a loan to get a new car to be cool. Thant's where the majority of loans are coming from more likely and not related to student debt.

Last one, that is not what I see, and since you don't come up with concrete evidence either why should I? There are loads of students in my circle of friends, nursing and otherwise, not a single one has a car loan, or even an old car. So you were indeed very lucky to have a car, including the fecking high insurance premium that comes with it.

And you saying more likely loans are car loans, concrete evidence? :D

Again happy trolling/bashing David73 ;)

Varta wrote: »
    I think it tells us more about you... and the status of your health.

Can you stop reacting to my comments, I find your replies insulting and uncomfortable.

I hope you understand.

Thank you!

You claimed they couldn't manage on their wages due to significant student loans....that was the context.

Correct, but that was not read by the poster.

Correct, but that was not read by the poster.

So what did i take out of context?

Can you stop reacting to my comments, I find your replies insulting and uncomfortable.

I hope you understand.

Thank you!

My wife is a nurse, and she finds your comments insulting and disrespectful.

• Advertisement

So what did i take out of context?

Read back. This had to do with someone claiming nursing students have no student loans and their education is for free. I claimed that there are nursing students with loans and their study is not for free.

Advertisement