Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Robert2014

That's some injury list. I hope that if we get relegated Galway fans don't all lose our heads and take this and Corofin's involvement in the Club series into account.

Normally 5-6 points would be enough, hopefully 2 more wins would be enough but last week's results put the cat among the pigeons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    it's a testament to the strength in depth of football in the county that we've already beaten a D1 team and are long odds on to stay up.

Feel sorry for NUIG also. Injury to Michael Daly and Molloy situation probably cost them a Sigerson last year. Once again have a very talented squad decimated this year through circumstances beyond their control.

Long odds based mainly on how Galway performed last year. The D1 team Galway beat was Cavan at home by 2 points and Cavan were missing more than half of last summers championship team for that game.

On NUIG they were lucky the back door was introduced as without it they would be out after the first round. With a full hand they wouldn't be able to beat UCD who are stronger than last year while NUIG lack the firepower without Gallagher and Comer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

fearruanua wrote: »
    nearly positive i saw him togged in croke park last weekend.

He was definitely walking on pitch with rest of panel @ HT of hurling match in the Cavan game. Don't think he togged that day though. But he must still be part of panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Robert2014 wrote: »
    That's some injury list. I hope that if we get relegated Galway fans don't all lose our heads and take this and Corofin's involvement in the Club series into account.

Normally 5-6 points would be enough, hopefully 2 more wins would be enough but last week's results put the cat among the pigeons.

Next to impossible to read anything from Galway in the league this year. Just too many players missing now.

If they can somehow sneak a couple more wins to stay up and maybe uncover a player or two it would be a success. Unfortunately most of the young lads that you would hope to see get a chance (McDaid, Molloy, Wall, John Daly, etc) are all either unavailable or injured. A couple others have been busy with Sigerson so have been used sparingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭spurshero

Any team named for Sunday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Galway starting XV to face Monaghan
    (2019 NFL Div.1, Rd.3)

1. Ruairi Lavelle (Salthill/Knocknacarra)
    2. Eoghan Kerin (Annaghdowngaa)
    3. Johnny Duane (St. James')
    4. David Wynne (Mhaigh Cuilinn)
    5. Gary O'Donnell (Tuam Stars)
    6. Gareth Bradshaw (Mhaigh Cuilinn)
    7. Johnny Heaney (Killannin)
    8. Thomas Flynn (@StMarysAthenry
    9. Ciarán Duggan (Annaghdown)
    10. Shane Walsh (Kilkerrin/Clonberne)
    11. Peter Cooke (Mhaigh Cuilinn)
    12. Sean Kelly (Mhaigh Cuilinn)
    13. Padraig Cunningham (Headford)
    14. Cein D'Arcy (Caherlistrane)
    15. Antoine Ó Laoi (C.L.G. An Spidéal)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Frozen Veg wrote: »
    (2019 NFL Div.1, Rd.3)

I think Kevin Walsh will have all of those in bold as first choice when everyone is available for selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭GalwayLurker

Can't see Bradshaw or Duggan getting in ahead of Liam Silke, Kieran Molloy, John Daly, Peter Cook, Michael Daly. Liam Silke a good shout for centre back. I think our midfield will be Flynn and Cooke with Shane Walsh or Michael Daly at 11. Such a series of injuries, is it coincidence or training overload you'd wonder!

Can't see Bradshaw or Duggan getting in ahead of Liam Silke, Kieran Molloy, John Daly, Peter Cook, Michael Daly. Liam Silke a good shout for centre back. I think our midfield will be Flynn and Cooke with Shane Walsh or Michael Daly at 11. Such a series of injuries, is it coincidence or training overload you'd wonder!

Can't see those players given championship starts this summer off the back of little game time for Galway seniors so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭GalwayLurker

Whatever about Daly I think Kieran Molloy is a cert for the number 5 jersey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭spurshero

Our half back line has being our weakest line for a few years . Bradshaw and o donnell are better from attacking point of view then defensively . People say Molloy isn’t proving in Galway jersey but he’s proving with u 21 and with winning all Ireland’s with corofin and playing in Sigerson finals . He has to start . That line needs to be freshened up badly or we are going nowhere . This isn’t a knock on god and Bradshaw they have been fantastic servants but at this stage I thing they should be options from the bench maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭threeball

Hopefully come championship he will be going with something like the following

Lavelle
    Silke
    O Ceaillaigh
    Kerin
    Molloy
    Kyne
    D'arcy
    Flynn
    Duggan
    Heaney
    Daly
    Walsh
    Comer
    Cooke
    Burke

Thats a very strong team and with plenty to come from the bench. Having two big men up front would be a good way to get the best out of Ian Burke too.

Frozen Veg wrote: »
    (2019 NFL Div.1, Rd.3)

I saw a team of currently unavailable/injured players which reads

Bernard Power
    Declan Kyne
    Sean Andy O'Ceallaigh
    Liam Silke
    Kieran Molloy
    John Daly
    Dylan Wall
    Paul Conroy
    Fiontain O'Curraoin
    Eamon Brannigan
    Michael Daly
    Cillian McDaid
    Adrian Varley
    Damien Comer
    Ian Burke

Who wins between the two? To be honest I think the unavailables/injured would win handy enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 320 ✭✭WillieMason

Well if galway stay up this will really help with squad developement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Long odds based mainly on how Galway performed last year. The D1 team Galway beat was Cavan at home by 2 points and Cavan were missing more than half of last summers championship team for that game.

On NUIG they were lucky the back door was introduced as without it they would be out after the first round. With a full hand they wouldn't be able to beat UCD who are stronger than last year while NUIG lack the firepower without Gallagher and Comer.

Theyd have beaten UCD last year with Daly and Molloy and UCD are without Con now. Granted they do look as strongas last year on the whole but NUIG would certainly have a shot with a full hand, they just beat a realtively fancied side without 5 or 6 of their best players. Gallagher was lucky to be starting on last year's side

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Anyone heading Thomas's game today? Fierce breezy in Dublin at moment, not sure if it's to clear but between that and such a tight pitch in Parnell it could be a bit of a leveller. Any momentum after the mellows is sadly long gone too, with the daft break

You'd have to imagine Thomas's will have too much quality though

It's a real shame Evan Duggan can't tog until senior in April.

Whoever wins the Ballygunner Ballyhale match will have a handy all Ireland final. Thomas's are very poor. Alot of aimless hurling sprinkled with good individual scores. Cushendall are every bit their match but not up to much either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

threeball wrote:
    Whoever wins the Ballygunner Ballyhale match will have a handy all Ireland final. Thomas's are very poor. Alot of aimless hurling sprinkled with good individual scores. Cushendall are every bit their match but not up to much either

Think you might be over estimating the quality of club hurling. Cushendall are no bad team. With the quality Thomas have they will not be far away I feel. This game isn't much better.

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Theyd have beaten UCD last year with Daly and Molloy and UCD are without Con now. Granted they do look as strongas last year on the whole but NUIG would certainly have a shot with a full hand, they just beat a realtively fancied side without 5 or 6 of their best players. Gallagher was lucky to be starting on last year's side
    Con as in Con O Callaghan? he's playing away with UCD. Who are the 5 or 6 players that NUIG are missing, the Daly brothers i know of.

threeball wrote: »

The Antrim club sides are usually tough enough to beat. Especially at this time of year when the pitches are heavy and a gale is blowing.

Thomas's will be underdogs in the final but I definitely wouldn't write them off but they'll need to get more from Conor Cooney especially.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,210 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

The Antrim club sides are usually tough enough to beat. Especially at this time of year when the pitches are heavy and a gale is blowing.

Thomas's will be underdogs in the final but I definitely wouldn't write them off but they'll need to get more from Conor Cooney especially.

Conor Cooney was very quiet today - him playing miles from goal didn't seem to work tbh and the game bypassed him to a large extent.

Thought fintan Burke was outstanding for Thomas's - it's a sign of how good a player is when the opposition put their Puck outs to the other side of the field.

In the final, Conor Cooney needs to be close to goal - if for nothing else than to give Joey Holden something to think about and to keep him inside his own 21.

I'm not doubting the quality of club hurling in Antrim and Derry etc. but I think there is a big gap in quality between Ballyhale and Thomas's. Croke Park will suit Ballyhale more than Thomas's too. I'll be surprised if theres less than 6 between them when the final whistle goes on Paddys day. Cooney is miles of his 2017 form too which doesn't help their cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭maroondog

I'm not doubting the quality of club hurling in Antrim and Derry etc. but I think there is a big gap in quality between Ballyhale and Thomas's. Croke Park will suit Ballyhale more than Thomas's too. I'll be surprised if theres less than 6 between them when the final whistle goes on Paddys day. Cooney is miles of his 2017 form too which doesn't help their cause.

Parnell Park is a tight pitch and wasnt in great condition today, if Thomas's were on bigger pitch like Thurles id say'd theyd of got passed Cushendall bit handier. Not that it matters (im neutral too) the ref seemed to give Cushendall a few questionable frees in 1st half (some refs seem to do this when 1 side is falling behind) it kept them in the game.

Ballyhale will be favourites id say but playing Croke Park will allow for much better game and suit Thomas's lot more than Parnell Park which is a poor venue for hurling.

Serious overreaction here. Remember cushendall beat sarsfields out the gate a few years ago. Thomas's drew with the Antrim champs when they last won the AI. It's time people took Ulster club hurling seriously

Conditions were dreadful on a very narrow pitch. Croker will suit Thomas's incredibly

A handy all Ireland against a team with 5/6 county players? Will be good going!!!

jr86 wrote: »
    Serious overreaction here. Remember cushendall beat sarsfields out the gate a few years ago. Thomas's drew with the Antrim champs when they last won the AI. It's time people took Ulster club hurling seriously

Conditions were dreadful on a very narrow pitch. Croker will suit Thomas's incredibly

A handy all Ireland against a team with 5/6 county players? Will be good going!!!

Thomas's have maybe 3 proven IC players, one of whom is misfiring for over a year. Ballyhale have TJ Reid, the Fennellys, Joey Holden plus at least 3 other borderline IC standard. I'll be surprised if it's close.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

It looks like the footballers are in for a few very tough weeks due to the sheer amount of players unavailable through injury or playing with Corofin. Still, I suppose it offers the "fringe" players a chance to stake a claim for a starting spot.

Ballyhale have TJ Reid, the Fennellys, Joey Holden plus at least 3 other borderline IC standard.

So ballyhale have only 3 proven inter county players aswell is what you're saying? :D

For a team inferior to Galway aswell

grbear wrote: »
    It looks like the footballers are in for a few very tough weeks due to the sheer amount of players unavailable through injury or playing with Corofin. Still, I suppose it offers the "fringe" players a chance to stake a claim for a starting spot.

They'd have to be 2nd favourites to Cavan for the wooden spoon you'd imagine. Roscommon, Mayo and Tyrone the only teams left I think where points are possible but far from gimmes with the number of injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

grbear wrote: »

They'd have to be 2nd favourites to Cavan for the wooden spoon you'd imagine. Roscommon, Mayo and Tyrone the only teams left I think where points are possible but far from gimmes with the number of injuries.
    A lot depends on how quickly lads return from injury.

Roscommon-Tyrone is a huge game. If Roscommon win that it'll be between Galway and Tyrone to see who joins Cavan.

• Advertisement

This is a masterclass in not how to play football.

An attack that wouldn't penetrate a piece of paper and putting no pressure on the ball so the opposition take it unopposed to your 45 and players just give cheap frees away in the end.

I'd be shocked if we scored 10 points here and kept them to less than 20.

How many years can you give a manager that clueless.

Advertisement