Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think nurses will get their payrise?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

tretorn wrote: »
    A young doctor told me the same, nurses refusing to have anything to do with drug addicts so she is called to do this work. Nurses can refuse but Doctors cant hence the big difference in salary. Nurses want to close this gap even though graduate nurses are starting on almost thirty thousand euros at twenty two or twenty three years of age.

Young Doctor specifically mentioned working with drug addicts, she didnt say nurses refuse to canulate other patients.

And many young law graduates will start on 24,000 and will work like slaves on three year contracts for that. They will work until 2 Am and go back into work at 9 AM if a deal is being struck and they wont get overtime.

I dont know why nurses think they are a special case, they really arent. If their pay wont cover rent in the area they want to live in the solution is to live in cheaper areas. The Government isnt going to build and rent apartments at subsidised rates to nurses who are among the highest earning graduates. If they are really unhappy at pay and conditions then they can choose alternative wrk or emigrate permanently to Australia.

If needs be we can replace them with non national nurses who will earn money they could only dream about in their own countries. If thats the solutionto impossible pay demands then so be it.

We already have replaced them. You're about 20yrs late with the whole replace them jibe. Besides we have a shortage of staff. Lots of places are struggling to keep basic cover going.

We are choosing to build in locations the staff can't afford to live in.

The problem is not with wages is that it's too expensive to live in Ireland especially Dublin. Economic policy is pouring fuel on that fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭bleary

I think all doctors are trained to take bloods, not all nurses are. Unless they take a phlebotomy course.

They are in other countries. I have family who trained as nurses in UK 50 years ago. They always spoke about how they weren't allowed to do half the things in Ireland they were trained to do.
    Irish trained nurses may not have been originally trained to take blood but training is available and are supposed to do so now but some still refuse to do so and call a doctor .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Should all public servants with a 4 year degree be paid the same regardless. An engineer in the council paid the same as an OT and a Nurse, what about a master's that's another year study. So now 5 years should they be paid the same as a doctor. What about pharmacists and accountants how many years did they study and who should they be paid the same as?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Nurses who take bloods are required to uphold stricter conditions than in the past. I don't know it exactly as I am not a nurse but it is to do with minimum numbers, they must be in a position where they would always have a certain amount of bloods to take in order for the certification to still be valid.

Minimum numbers wouldn't be an issue in A&E for instance. But it would be for a part-time nurse or agency/bank staff nurses in certain clinics or wards where it would be a little less common.

Obviously the idea that restrictions in taking bloods would be more so due to strict policies and protocols that all nurses uphold rather than laziness doesn't fit in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭A Shropshire Lad

This country will be bankrupt again in a few years if we carry on public spending. It wont be the public sector that will lose their jobs and be forced to emigrate then

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

Not sure if I want to laugh or cry at the fact that we can’t pay our nurses but at the same time build the world’s most expensive hospital per bed.

Who the fcuk do the government think is going to staff this monstrosity?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Not sure if I want to laugh or cry at the fact that we can’t pay our nurses but at the same time build the world’s most expensive hospital per bed.

Who the fcuk do the government think is going to staff this monstrosity?!

Yeah we can’t pay our nurses.

They get no money each week into their accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭feckthisgenie

This country will be bankrupt again in a few years if we carry on public spending. It wont be the public sector that will lose their jobs and be forced to emigrate then

Wasn't the public sector that bankrupt the country last time but took the hit.
    Look at the cost of building houses now, building supplies gone through the roof, the children's hospital perfect example. rents spiralling again worst then ever, tradesmen back charging what they want again back to the boom, restaurants taking full advantage of the 23% increase in vat and adding this and more to the cost, bankers back getting their bonuses etc.
    Cost of living is getting ridiculous again.
    Of course public sector will want a pay increase to keep up this this inflation and rightly so and well deserved

• Registered Users Posts: 19,402 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Look at the cost of building houses now, building supplies gone through the roof, the children's hospital perfect example. rents spiralling again worst then ever, tradesmen back charging what they want again back to the boom, restaurants taking full advantage of the 23% increase in vat and adding this and more to the cost, bankers back getting their bonuses etc.
    Of course public sector will want a pay increase to keep up this this inflation and rightly so and well deserved

Majority of what we had to borrow was to cover welfare and public service wage expenditure. There’s no doubt about this

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭RinusLaptop76

Kivaro wrote: »
    Reading the papers this morning, there's talk about increasing "allowances" in order to end this illegal strike. This should not happen, because then we will have every other public sector group looking for ludicrous "allowance" increases.

The one thing that this strike has highlighted to many is the greed that we have in this country. Nurses should get a fair wage; there is no disputing it, but to hold the country at gunpoint; especially the most vulnerable in society is disgusting. There are tens of thousands of your fellow citizens in this country currently in extreme pain and discomfort because their procedures and operations had to be rescheduled due to the nurse strike. It was wholly unnecessary. It is mostly about money. So disappointed with the striking nurses.

It is such a sad reflection on Irish society.

What is sad in this country that people dump their elderly in hospitals for vacations and holidays just so they can keep the pension of the elderly, as well as having people in the hospital for over a year even longer then half a year is despicable. They occupy beds that can be used for real patients.
    Also sad is that so many people don't want to realize that cancelling of appointments has been going on for years, so has little or nothing to do with the strike, that is the HSE management unwilling to hire extra nurses so the appointments won't have to be cancelled. Understaffing is the main issue, and that is caused by overpaid HSE managers.
    As for salary, many still work 12 hours for free every month to fund the pension fund of all the whining people here on this forum. Who is willing to work 12 hours a month for free?? Who is willing to be physically and verbally abused by patients, visitors of said patients, and the drunks and junkies you dump in the hospital?? Maybe better look at your greedy selves first, and look at the facts first, and maybe try to recognize trolls here that feed misinformation that so many choose to believe because it serves their greed, jealousy and envy better. That is a sad reflection of Irish society!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,108 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Financial regulation is public sector, They should've been marking the banks better.
    Public disservice I call them

• Registered Users Posts: 16,128 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Nurses who take bloods are required to uphold stricter conditions than in the past. I don't know it exactly as I am not a nurse but it is to do with minimum numbers, they must be in a position where they would always have a certain amount of bloods to take in order for the certification to still be valid.

Minimum numbers wouldn't be an issue in A&E for instance. But it would be for a part-time nurse or agency/bank staff nurses in certain clinics or wards where it would be a little less common.

Obviously the idea that restrictions in taking bloods would be more so due to strict policies and protocols that all nurses uphold rather than laziness doesn't fit in this thread

Absolutely . But some posters just read a fact and run with to bash the nurses without researching or even bothering to find out why .I very much doubt that even those posters would be keen to have bloods taken by a nurse who has never done it or indeed been trained to do it .

They should let them know the pay rates before they sign up to stop them becoming nurses and then not agreeing with the pay..........

I hope you can self medicate because this will leave the country without nurses, one of the nursing schools mentioned that not a single nurse that will graduate later this year is going to stay in Ireland. So no more nurses then? No more healthcare? Way to go!

I hope you can self medicate because this will leave the country without nurses, one of the nursing schools mentioned that not a single nurse that will graduate later this year is going to stay in Ireland. So no more nurses then? No more healthcare? Way to go!

A 12% pay increase won't keep them here..... folk are naive as fnck to think otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭feckthisgenie

road_high wrote: »
    Majority of what we had to borrow was to cover welfare and public service wage expenditure. There’s no doubt about this

So public servants should work for free is that what your saying?
    Greed, lies , cover ups and bailing out bankers, developers bankrupt this country and just remember that.
    It's greed again that's causing this mess.
    People see public sector getting a 1% increase and then go and increase products and services tenfold that the problem

Augeo wrote: »
    Is it agreed the average gross income for a nurse is €58k?

It is not, that is what government trolls like david73 and wheeliebin30 and bet there are more want you to believe.

As for salary, many still work 12 hours for free every month to fund the pension fund of all the whining people here on this forum.....

Loads of us are paying enough in income tax etc per annum to cover over contributory pension msny, many times over so don't be thinking we are all on the scratch with a grandparents pension paying our bills.

The irony is the wasters you speak about are the most vocal in supporting the nurses.

It is not, that is what government trolls like david73 and wheeliebin30 and bet there are more want you to believe.

What is the actual figure ?

A 12% pay increase won't keep them here..... folk are naive as fnck to think otherwise.

I do know that if the pay were better, for sure for those that are newly qualified, would make them reconsider. True, some want to go abroad anyways, but the majority goes away simply because one can't afford to live here.
    That last goes for everyone, the government dropped the ball for one on social housing, you can't force public landlords to take care of that problem. As for healthcare, that hospital? Follow the money, mr. Harris and friends, the construction companies and subcontractors and off course some well paid HSE managers have extremely deep pockets and they are getting filled. GREED is the problem here, and I'd say do a few shifts with on a ward and see for yourself how it is like, see if you are willing to take the abuse, particularly at night most often no time to eat or drink, sometimes not even time to go to the toilet. But that doesn't suit most, because they may have to change their view on things.

Loads of us are paying enough in income tax etc per annum to cover over contributory pension msny, many times over so don't be thinking we are all on the scratch with a grandparents pension paying our bills.

The irony is the wasters you speak about are the most vocal in supporting the nurses.

That is not what I see myself regarding the wasters, and I am not a nurse. But would you work 12 hours for free every month for the past years and still on going because you conveniently get past that, and nurses still pay the same taxes as the rest of you as well.

• Advertisement

What is the actual figure ?

I said I bet there are more, so that implies I don't know the actual figure, I am very sorry for that sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Nurses get their training here then are allowed to go overseas immediately? Not serve here a few years?

Graces7 wrote: »
    Nurses get their training here then are allowed to go overseas immediately? Not serve here a few years?

If they pay for the training themselves, have a large loan to pay back they can go wherever they want I'd say.

That is not what I see myself regarding the wasters, and I am not a nurse. But would you work 12 hours for free every month for the past years and still on going because you conveniently get past that, and nurses still pay the same taxes as the rest of you as well.

I've often worked in roles where extra time was required.
    As my career developed I outgrew those roles.

If they pay for the training themselves, have a large loan to pay back they can go wherever they want I'd say.

How many of this year's class paid ?
    You have no clue about nursing or economics.

I said I bet there are more, so that implies I don't know the actual figure, I am very sorry for that sir.

So it might be 58k for all you know?

Just for the record, just double checked, nurses are not asking for a raise of 12%, they want the 12 hours working for free reversed and go back to 37.5 a week instead the 39 they work now. This was also the part you so conveniently skipped as well.

I do know that if the pay were better, for sure for those that are newly qualified, would make them reconsider. True, some want to go abroad anyways, but the majority goes away simply because one can't afford to live here.
    That last goes for everyone, the government dropped the ball for one on social housing, you can't force public landlords to take care of that problem. As for healthcare, that hospital? Follow the money, mr. Harris and friends, the construction companies and subcontractors and off course some well paid HSE managers have extremely deep pockets and they are getting filled. GREED is the problem here, and I'd say do a few shifts with on a ward and see for yourself how it is like, see if you are willing to take the abuse, particularly at night most often no time to eat or drink, sometimes not even time to go to the toilet. But that doesn't suit most, because they may have to change their view on things.

That's horsesh1t...if you can afford to be a student you can manage on 30k/year.

So it might be 58k for all you know?

Pay scales are available, and they don't make 58k, that is for HSE managers not nurses, not even in special areas.

• Advertisement

Just for the record, just double checked, nurses are not asking for a raise of 12%, they want the 12 hours working for free reversed and go back to 37.5 a week instead the 39 they work now. This was also the part you so conveniently skipped as well.

Does what you detail manifest itself in 12% more money gross?
    Wander off and check there ;)

Advertisement