Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail jobs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭mario84s

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Were the 14 selected before they went public?

do you reckon out of the 20-25 starting, 14 are internal, meaning less than few will be selected from 200 odd that attended the last few days?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Doghouses

mario84s wrote: »
    do you reckon out of the 20-25 starting, 14 are internal, meaning less than few will be selected from 200 odd that attended the last few days?

Hope not, hardly go through all this for just 9 candidates. I’m hoping they recruiting 25 for March and 25 maybe 2019. If that info is correct
    Gives us all better odds

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭blueband

Doghouses wrote: »
    Hope not, hardly go through all this for just 9 candidates. I’m hoping they recruiting 25 for March and 25 maybe 2019. If that info is correct
    Gives us all better odds

They're not but you do realise it was 100 jobs over a period of time and they are not all going to be in Dublin...anyway, not sure why you're questioning any of this as you seemed to be very sure before of all your inside knowledge, not to mention the medical you implied you were called for a week ago which apparently you only found out about today......

• Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I would find it more interesting that circa 60% of trainees are internal if they were not selected before they went external.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Ais123

Didn’t they announce they were going external because they couldn’t fill them internal? Don’t think they actually said how many were filled already but makes you realise how steep the competition is going to be for such few positions.

Judging by the numbers at the assessment centres there’s at least 5/6 of us vowing for 1 spot.

It all rests on the interview. Wonder will it be a panel of people or just the one interviewer

• Advertisement

Ais123 wrote: »
    Didn’t they announce they were going external because they couldn’t fill them internal? Don’t think they actually said how many were filled already but makes you realise how steep the competition is going to be for such few positions.

Judging by the numbers at the assessment centres there’s at least 5/6 of us vowing for 1 spot.

It all rests on the interview. Wonder will it be a panel of people or just the one interviewer

I’d say ur spot on there 5/6 , still done well to get this far. Some of The people doing tests are hr team so I’d imagine some of those with member of management team

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Clodiagh87

I know Irish Rail can work in mysterious ways but considering the shortage of drivers if they have 14 internal applicants ready to go why are they not training them as we speak?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

i'm 183cm and 109kg at the moment. not fat but have a big belly.

Does a big belly not count as fat?

Effects wrote: »
    Does a big belly not count as fat?

i knew it, you're the cie doctor?!:D i meant in my opinion, i'm not fat elsewhere

Clodiagh87 wrote: »
    I know Irish Rail can work in mysterious ways but considering the shortage of drivers if they have 14 internal applicants ready to go why are they not training them as we speak?

Don't know how they usually do it, but there was at least one IR current staff member in the session I attended yesterday. Maybe they just assess them same as everyone else? Personally I'd have thought they'd take internal candidates first, and then recruit externally, doubt the Unions would be happy otherwise

• Advertisement

blueband wrote: »
    Don't know how they usually do it, but there was at least one IR current staff member in the session I attended yesterday. Maybe they just assess them same as everyone else? Personally I'd have thought they'd take internal candidates first, and then recruit externally, doubt the Unions would be happy otherwise

Now you say that there was also one in my session and tbh I got the impression that he was very familiar with concentration test on the pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

khaldrogo wrote: »
    Doesn't actually specify anything in regards to standards needed to pass the medical

Indeed, it just specifies the minimum tests required, the parameters of which are set by the rail company.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Were the 14 selected before they went public?

Yes long before from when the mentoring issue was on going.

Clodiagh87 wrote: »

They were delayed due to the mentoring driver issue, 2 training courses have since commenced and the 14 are the last selected under the old system.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Joepoe

Has Anybody who done phase 2 on Tuesday got an email response yet??

Joepoe wrote: »
    Has Anybody who done phase 2 on Tuesday got an email response yet??

i did phase 2 wednesday, and was told it'd be friday or monday by time they get back to us about medical

Passed medical! Pretty much in the bag now. Interview should be easy
    It was easy enough thinking now

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭olearydc

Yap - -the way you are getting on, I say you will be driving mainline within a few weeks and CEO in no time -- :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Toashty91

I did phase 2 Monday and got the email Wednesday about last minute medicals on Thursday. By the time I had replied to say I couldn't do Thursday but would there be other dates available they had already sent the email saying they were all full, but they've yet to reply as to whether they'll contact me again about the next available medicals! They just said thank you to those who responded we will be in contact soon. Anybody else in on Monday in the same boat? I'm just panicking 🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 27 jenjenHarley

Toashty91 wrote: »
    I did phase 2 Monday and got the email Wednesday about last minute medicals on Thursday. By the time I had replied to say I couldn't do Thursday but would there be other dates available they had already sent the email saying they were all full, but they've yet to reply as to whether they'll contact me again about the next available medicals! They just said thank you to those who responded we will be in contact soon. Anybody else in on Monday in the same boat? I'm just panicking 🙈

I'm in the same boat. Dont be panicking. They said in the email those appointments were just for people with short notice.

Also, in the 2nd email they sent they said they'll be in contact very soon.

olearydc wrote: »
    Yap - -the way you are getting on, I say you will be driving mainline within a few weeks and CEO in no time -- :)

I have enquired about any fast tracking to management but Hr not responded yet.
    I guess they are busy with the recruitment drive.
    But thanks for that , glad you can sense that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Not to darken the mood but I've a feeling just because the medical was passed doesn't mean we're in the door

I think the interview could be make or break for all

• Advertisement

I'm in the same boat. Dont be panicking. They said in the email those appointments were just for people with short notice.

Also, in the 2nd email they sent they said they'll be in contact very soon.

Don’t worry I was panicking too and emailed them to find out when the next batch is and they said end of the month.

Not to darken the mood but I've a feeling just because the medical was passed doesn't mean we're in the door

I think the interview could be make or break for all

I agree the interview were always going to be the make and break. If you look at the assessments all off us are the top scorers which means they’ve eliminated all they could so far.

Still too many of us so it’ll be interviews and reference checks that’ll be whether we succeed or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Rootsblower

I agree the interview were always going to be the make and break. If you look at the assessments all off us are the top scorers which means they’ve eliminated all they could so far.

Still too many of us so it’ll be interviews and reference checks that’ll be whether we succeed or not.

Just a heads up regarding interviews.
    There may be a body language expert or psychologist in the interviews. I know a driver colleague who was giving evidence in an inquiry into an incident and part of the panel was a body language expert who just observed the driver as they gave their evidence. I would not be surprised if they used them at these interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

Just a heads up regarding interviews. There may be a body language expert or psychologist in the interviews. I know a driver colleague who was giving evidence in an inquiry into an incident and part of the panel was a body language expert who just observed the driver as they gave their evidence. I would not be surprised if they used them at these interviews.

Seems a bit much to me!

Just a heads up regarding interviews.
    There may be a body language expert or psychologist in the interviews. I know a driver colleague who was giving evidence in an inquiry into an incident and part of the panel was a body language expert who just observed the driver as they gave their evidence. I would not be surprised if they used them at these interviews.

Sounds fair enough, would want to root out anyone trying to lie their way into the role considering the safety aspects. There's at least one here you would hope would be found out before they get much further in the process. Thanks for the heads up

Btw the medical is simple eye test hearing BMI blood pressure

Unless there is something wrong on basic tests ur ok and they might go further

I actually asked for you guys I don’t know why.....
    so if you over BMI limit ( I don’t know what it is )
    Only then will they run ecg etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

I actually asked for you guys I don’t know why.....
    so if you over BMI limit ( I don’t know what it is )
    Only then will they run ecg etc...

I just want to say this is not true.

According to the doc I'm exactly where I should be BMI wise and they still rang ECG

The ECG is to see what the heart is doing, if there's any issues with it. They have to run this test (which only last a few seconds)

If they didn't run this test on you then there could be the possibility they didn't need to because it would be a waste of time / resources.

Also you mentioned you haven't worked in 20 years.

Yes they may be looking for more females (if you even are one) but your age will go against you also.

They ain't gonna waste a lot of money training you when they could train someone 10 years or more younger and get more value for money.

So sorry but it doesn't look great for you. (Just opinion)

I’m afraid it is you who is the troll. As the ecg would entail putting a strain on ur heart...ie treadmill or injection a few seconds is fantasy. I felt a complete sense of urgency. So unless they didn’t want to upset you in your BMI status is all I can think of however a few seconds for an ecg test is from what I had been expecting and never received seems far fetched
    TROLL

Also I’m 42 years old , I worked in my fathers office in crosschapel blessington road until I met my husband and married. IR are equality unlike yourself who seems ageist and anti women

• Advertisement

I just want to say this is not true.

According to the doc I'm exactly where I should be BMI wise and they still rang ECG

The ECG is to see what the heart is doing, if there's any issues with it. They have to run this test (which only last a few seconds)

If they didn't run this test on you then there could be the possibility they didn't need to because it would be a waste of time / resources.

Also you mentioned you haven't worked in 20 years.

Yes they may be looking for more females (if you even are one) but your age will go against you also.

They ain't gonna waste a lot of money training you when they could train someone 10 years or more younger and get more value for money.

So sorry but it doesn't look great for you. (Just opinion)

I now believe you could be one of thes existing 14 that have been coached through the tests unfairly
    I estimate 50 years old male . It’s a joke people like you getting through rigorous test and putting the public’s lives in danger. When other more capable people could have prevented possible accidents
    The day might come when IE will have to justify how 14 people were successfully able to come through 24,000 applications

Advertisement