Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Breakfast with Ray (Foley) and Jay [Cork's Red FM, 6am-9am]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Loughc wrote: »
    They were all uploaded today! Yay!

In time for Friday and all... perfect Friday listening! :)

I tweeted him yesterday and he said he didn't know why they weren't there and to leave it with him. I always thought it was himself who uploaded them but perhaps not. Looking forward to them myself

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Synode wrote: »
    I tweeted him yesterday and he said he didn't know why they weren't there and to leave it with him. I always thought it was himself who uploaded them but perhaps not. Looking forward to them myself

I tweeted him 2 days ago and the fecker never replied to me! #raging :pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Fantastic win for Ray Foley at the IMRO awards last week. He's found his love for radio again and his breakfast show is showing that. Delighted for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Fantastic win for Ray Foley at the IMRO awards last week. He's found his love for radio again and his breakfast show is showing that. Delighted for him.

What did he win? I didn’t see and awards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭DopeTech

MrMac84 wrote: »
    What did he win? I didn’t see and awards

Category: E1 Music Broadcaster

Gold Ray Foley Red FM
    Silver Fergal D’Arcy Today FM
    Bronze KC Cork’s 96FM

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭IUA14

Still Number 1 Breakfast Show in Cork with an increase to 57,000 listeners in JNLR. Combined with the Music Presenter of the Year award not a bad few weeks for Foley!

Yesterday morning reminded me of why he’s still the king! That song about going to Ovens to buy a bike was brilliant! Jay is a great foil for Foley and works well in that role and doesn’t try to dominate like Ross Browne does to KC!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 EI209

This thread has gone very quiet recently - although I always say that's a sign that things are good as people talk about the bad stuff more often on this forum! 😂

Have to say I really do enjoy the Red FM breakfast show. Reminds me a lot of Foleys lunchtime show on Today FM. I still miss that show a lot. I think for what he does, that type of show, Foley really is the best there is. It's really brilliant that he's got his love for radio back.

Would maybe like to see a third member of the team, someone like Ann Gleason (sadly she's left the radio business) and a few more regular features, a Gauntlet kind of thing maybe but that doesn't change or take away from how good the show is. I listen online from up in Wexford as there's nothing better on here and Today FM has gone to the dogs.

Can't wait for the lads to be back on in the new year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Jay Zee

EI209 wrote: »
    This thread has gone very quiet recently - although I always say that's a sign that things are good as people talk about the bad stuff more often on this forum! ��

Have to say I really do enjoy the Red FM breakfast show. Reminds me a lot of Foleys lunchtime show on Today FM. I still miss that show a lot. I think for what he does, that type of show, Foley really is the best there is. It's really brilliant that he's got his love for radio back.

Would maybe like to see a third member of the team, someone like Ann Gleason (sadly she's left the radio business) and a few more regular features, a Gauntlet kind of thing maybe but that doesn't change or take away from how good the show is. I listen online from up in Wexford as there's nothing better on here and Today FM has gone to the dogs.

Can't wait for the lads to be back on in the new year

I guess since the country is so small no local radio shows have busy threads here

Completely agree with you EI209 I’m loving the RedFM breakfast show and Ray really seems to be having a laugh again and it really shows on air.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭gamecube

I wonder is he sorry that he burned his bridges with Today FM?

It must be a real killer to drive from Dublin to Cork all the time & stay away from his family most of the week

But it's nice that he's got his Mojo back, he does have a real talent for it when he's firing on all cylinders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭ofcork

I can't see him keeping it up the way today FM is gone he's probably better off not there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Jay Zee

gamecube wrote: »

It must be a real killer to drive from Dublin to Cork all the time & stay away from his family most of the week

But it's nice that he's got his Mojo back, he does have a real talent for it when he's firing on all cylinders.

It's not that he burned his bridges with Today FM but the current CEO of Today FM and himself hate each other, Foley said loudly in a pub in castlebar 2 years ago "'id love to break the beardy ***** face"

Jay Zee wrote: »
    It's not that he burned his bridges with Today FM but the current CEO of Today FM and himself hate each other, Foley said loudly in a pub in castlebar 2 years ago "'id love to break the beardy ***** face"

Well that’s not true.

But how they treated him the last time he was due to return means they definitely burnt their bridges with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,338 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Really ? I agree he(Ray) didn't burn any bridges, it was the New todayfm CEO at the time and he hinted that his former producer Adelle McDonnell was off not directly part of him not coming back, that she had some part in it. I'm basing that on his comments in the last NTN podcast he did with Alan metcalfe.

Well that’s not true.

But how they treated him the last time he was due to return means they definitely burnt their bridges with him.

I was wondering about him saying that in a pub. I mean his on air personna is one thing but he strikes me as a very serious person off air.

They did double cross him by telling him he could come back & then nothing happening

Putting the boot into Today FM in his NTN podcasts was what I was on about in his burning his bridges with them.

They cannot have been too happy with the content of those podcasts directed at them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Source? As in something already in print or broadcast on public radio. It's a serious allegation to be making if it isn't true.

They did double cross him by telling him he could come back & then nothing happening

Putting the boot into Today FM in his NTN podcasts was what I was on about in his burning his bridges with them.

They cannot have been too happy with the content of those podcasts directed at them.

Well those comments were made after he'd had that interview on todayfm with anton savage where he tried to not rise to Antons question(which given what happened to Anton Savage is interesting in hindsight) which I think happened after the proposed return to todayfm.

I don't think he burnt any bridges with todayfm. They did that burning, and his comments after the fact weren't going to make it better or worse. He's better off not there as the bit I've listened to in the last couple of years show it's a far less enjoyable place to work in. It's lost what made it a good radio station, both in terms of on air talent and direction.

• Advertisement

It is amazing how quickly Today FM have gone downhill over the past 5/6 years

I think Anton already knew he was out the door himself when he had that interview with Ray Foley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭corks finest

It is amazing how quickly Today FM have gone downhill over the past 5/6 years

I think Anton already knew he was out the door himself when he had that interview with Ray Foley
    Will they FFS let someone, anyone win that bloody competition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭what the hell!

That bloody secret sound! You’d think they’d have given some clue by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Boots234

Couldn't agree more, sick of listening to it and have started turning over to 96fm for the quiz when it comes on. Nobody has a clue what it is and the same guesses keep coming up. Lost count on how many times 'walking on snow' has been guessed!

The boys are back, badly needed on a dreary January Monday morning!

Am I the only one that automatically thinks of Gauntlets from years ago when Ray and Jay play a certain song?

Last week they played Driveby by Train and as soon as I heard it I immediately thought of the time they made Parody's of it for The Gauntlet! It's probably a concern actually, I can barely remember what happened last week but I can remember things that happened on The Ray Foley Show in 2012...

• Advertisement

Am I the only one that automatically thinks of Gauntlets from years ago when Ray and Jay play a certain song?

Last week they played Driveby by Train and as soon as I heard it I immediately thought of the time they made Parody's of it for The Gauntlet! It's probably a concern actually, I can barely remember what happened last week but I can remember things that happened on The Ray Foley Show in 2012...
    Simpliar Times

• Registered Users Posts: 37 jackmcc

Brooklyn99 just had an episode about their local radio station doing a secret sound competition. I couldn't help but think of that damn noise that Ray has been playing for months! He was nice enough to reply to my tweet about it too...

https://twitter.com/jackmccw/status/1089289526864883712

Another increase for Breakfast with Ray and Jay to 58,000 listeners. There may be war brewing with Today FM's play for Cork and this line from Adelle (now Content Director at Today FM) ''Ian Dempsey is without doubt the King of breakfast radio in Ireland...''

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

IUA14 wrote: »
    Another increase for Breakfast with Ray and Jay to 58,000 listeners. There may be war brewing with Today FM's play for Cork and this line from Adelle (now Content Director at Today FM) ''Ian Dempsey is without doubt the King of breakfast radio in Ireland...''

When did she say that? Do you think it's a deliberate dig at former King of the Nafternoons?

Content director ? Well she's not directing the content very well then is she ?Todayfm is a disaster of a station. It used to be able to be a station that rarely did much wrong, where now it seems(and I've not listened much the past couple of years, but I've listened enough) they can't do anything right and it's a combination of bad presenters just being worse and presenters who have proven they can be good being dragged down the crap todayfm call radio these days.

• Advertisement

FunLover18 wrote: »
    When did she say that? Do you think it's a deliberate dig at former King of the Nafternoons?

It's in the radiotoday.ie story rounding up reaction to JNLR's.

''Ian Dempsey is without doubt the King of breakfast radio in Ireland...''

Haha if she said that she's full of sh1t. He would even sound dated on 4fm let alone Today Fm. They have been going down hill ever since Tony Fenton departed.

Anyway that's probably a conversation for another thread. This thread is about Ray & Jay who are doing a great job. Fair play to them.

Another increase for Breakfast with Ray and Jay to 58,000 listeners.

Delighted they got another increase, no more than they deserve, the show is great fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

It's a very good rating, seeing as they are on a local radio station.

What kinda figures have KC and Ross got?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Howard100

They are up 6k in the last 6 months to 47,000

Remember, Foley took over from KC and walked into the No1 Breakfast show in Cork

They have added to those numbers.

Give 96FM 12 months and it could be a very different picture. Having said that, the best morning radio in the country is coming out of Cork.

Howard100 wrote: »

Remember, Foley took over from KC and walked into the No1 Breakfast show in Cork

Give 96FM 12 months and it could be a very different picture. Having said that, the best morning radio in the country is coming out of Cork.
    Kc and Ross must be on air 12 months now tho aren’t they?

Kc and Ross must be on air 12 months now tho aren’t they?

Is it not more than 12 months at this stage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

Its over a year now. I reacon 96 wont rise much Nick Richards fans probadly dont take to a show which is already done on Red Fm . I prefer Rays show myself but i do find the ott laughing a bit much on these shows. Its not as bad as pj on classic hits though fake laughing not funny. Niel prenderville now at 78000 number one show will he make the 80000mark. he had 115000 when he left 96. I wonder what Pj has now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

Howard100 wrote: »

Kc left red fm whit around 47000 neck n neck with Nick richards . Rays built it upto 58000

• Advertisement

Liked the bit this morning where they were slagging KC saying there's a job in red for him if he wants to come back!!! :D:D

http://www.redfm.ie/on-air/podcasts/breakfast-with-ray-and-jay/episode/8th-february-2019/

Sir Dosser wrote: »
    Liked the bit this morning where they were slagging KC saying there's a job in red for him if he wants to come back!!! :D:D

http://www.redfm.ie/on-air/podcasts/breakfast-with-ray-and-jay/episode/8th-february-2019/

The best part of that was, the next segement was Secret Sound and Ray asked the caller who's this and the caller went "it's KC here", Ray genuinely paused, he didn't know what to say.

Then the caller revealed he was taking the p*ss

So its Ray and Izzy on breakfast tomorrow with Jay still off. That will be interesting to see how it goes!

Came across this yesterday, might sound familiar to a few long time Ray Foley listeners. Brought back a few memories!

https://youtu.be/l21Dl96ESok

Came across this yesterday, might sound familiar to a few long time Ray Foley listeners. Brought back a few memories!

https://youtu.be/l21Dl96ESok

And here’s what we didn’t get too today.. maybe we’ll get time tomorrow, say good bye Jp,

Goodbye Jp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 924 ✭✭✭lambayire

JP was doing some lazy radio on Off the Ball the other night.

There was a mention of a footballer called James Garner.

Cue some Rockford Files and the like.

And here’s what we didn’t get too today.. maybe we’ll get time tomorrow, say good bye Jp,

Goodbye Jp

That was this! https://youtu.be/t_ssJNCmhEw

The one I posted earlier was what used to lead into the ad break before the 12:45 lunchtime news. Good times

That was this! https://youtu.be/t_ssJNCmhEw

The one I posted earlier was what used to lead into the ad break before the 12:45 lunchtime news. Good times

My bad!

Memories there!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Ray is definitely a loss to national radio, he still shows his ability in the current gig. But if anything Jay is holding him back, he bursts out laughing at anything Ray says even when it's not meant to be funny. Then Jay tries to make a joke and he's just not a funny guy. It seems like Jay is in awe of him and it affects their chemistry. JP was a good friend of Ray so it just flowed much better.

Advertisement