Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread VII (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67,530 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

downcow wrote: »
    Last point first. I can’t take someone seriously who talks about punishing people in hell.

SO you don't respect all those DUP MLA's and MP's who tell us many people are committing sins against their God and are the 'devil's spawn' etc etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭downcow

VonZan wrote: »
    What exact behaviour are you offended by from the Irish government? This will be very interesting.

I am scared to answer questions as this is what got me in trouble before.
    I am offended about how they have used the gfa and 3000 deaths up here as a red herring to protect their economy

• Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

lawred2 wrote: »
    What?

What's apt about it?

I agree.

Tusk was speaking completely out of frustration. There was no glee in the position he sees the UK as holding or pleasure in watching them slide towards an abyss.

SO you don't respect all those DUP MLA's and MP's who tell us many people are committing sins against their God and are the 'devil's spawn' etc etc?

I can’t stand the dup. I hate their mix of religion and politics

• Registered Users Posts: 33,824 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Well if you can’t point out one of my several lies then I have no choice but to report you to the mods

They've been pointed out to you several times. Knock yourself out reporting there . I've nothing to hide. You've lied several times. I gave you examples you don't like them.

You're posting in a bating style and you don't like being found out.

• Advertisement

I am offended about how they have used the gfa and 3000 deaths up here as a red herring to protect their economy

And David Trimble isn't proposing to use the GFA? You argument is all over the shop and hypocritical to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,151 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If Scottish Consveratives are finding this process so stressful, they could pull the plug on the Government at any moment - rather than leave it there to become an excuse for untoward behaviour

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/17413740.colleagues-of-ross-thomson-mp-worried-about-stress-he-was-under-from-brexit/

But of course they only act as if they are an actual party unit in Holyrood, not at Westminster.

listermint wrote: »
    They've been pointed out to you several times. Knock yourself out reporting there . I've nothing to hide. You've lied several times. I gave you examples you don't like them.

You're posting in a bating style and you don't like being found out.
    Listermint. You gave vague topics. You can’t go around calling people liars and having no evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Faisal pointing out the factuality of Tusk's comemts with a few examples such as
    https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1093241250969518080?s=19

Listermint. You gave vague topics. You can’t go around calling people liars and having no evidence.

You were given several examples from other posters I didn't think I needed to bother.

It's time to start growing up. This weekly show is tiresome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Right now, the only people who care about Northern Ireland's future are not on the British side of the table. Get it through your head that London does not care about you and twice tried to sell you out only one of May's monumental miscalculations left her in hock to the DUP. The DUP is against the backstop and the lack of any agreement at this time will destroy what littke of an economy the North had.

If it was up to London, the north would be completely abandoned to its fate.

The Irish government and EU negotiating time have bent over backwards to compel London to recognise and come up with implementable solutions to the special problems faced by Northern Ireland in this idiocy of a policy from the UK. All you do is fling it back and resent the efforts we make on your behalf because your own government does not care.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

I guess it must be cultural differences. To tell a group of people that they have a place reserved in hell is fairly incredible in my culture. But more than that it is arrogant and implies that eu are angels.
    I am not upset about it. Indeed it shows cracks appearing in Eu earlier than I thought. I reckoned we wouldn’t see any moves until after the 14th but this clearly will create some pressure within Europe. I guess many in Eu will be highly embarrassed about his outburst.
    So it’s positive for UK Let’s hope we get a few more irrational comments from Eu reps in the coming days

Accusing politicians that grew up in the USSR as creating an "EUSSR" or something equally inane is far, far more offensive to a large proportion of the EU politicians it was directed at, such as Tusk. And to be brutally honest if you're taking such offense at the hell comment, as a Northerner, would the "blood red lines" of the DUP not be even more inflammatory?

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

Everyone was very clear that British democracy meant it had to be agreed by the people’s representatives in hoc

Do you remember the court case in 2017. When Gina Miller took the British Government to court to argue that only parliament could do this. That it had to be voted on by parliament. It went to the supreme court and was contested by the British government.

Apparently back then Theresa May did not think it had to be agreed by people's representatives.

And David Trimble isn't proposing to use the GFA? You argument is all over the shop and hypocritical to boot.

At last we are in agreement. I think the gfa should be left out of this debate. I can understand Trimble reacting to others useing it and I’m glad as it highlights the nonsense of involving gfa on either side of the debate.
    I am pleased we finally agree on something francie

I agree with Listermint's position and Blowfish's points that the statements you made were lies.

bob mcbob wrote: »
    Do you remember the court case in 2017. When Gina Miller took the British Government to court to argue that only parliament could do this. That it had to be voted on by parliament. It went to the supreme court and was contested by the British government.

Apparently back then Theresa May did not think it had to be agreed by people's representatives.
    Fair point

At last we are in agreement. I think the gfa should be left out of this debate. I can understand Trimble reacting to others useing it and I’m glad as it highlights the nonsense of involving gfa on either side of the debate.

Jesus wept you've some ability to shift the jumpers.

This is unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,305 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

How on earth do you propose to leave the GFA agreement 'out of this'?

You couldn't be more duplicitous and dishonest if you tried

I agree with Listermint's position and Blowfish's points that the statements you made were lies.

That’s lovely. But it would be more helpful if you identify one of the lies I’ve told.

That’s lovely. But it would be more helpful if you identify one of the lies I’ve told.

Read Blowfish's post. Post #1200

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Stop the bus there.....

The Irish government are trying to uphold the GFA, something which TM doesnt seem too worried about today.

3000 deaths....was the Irish government responsible for the deaths, did they send soldiers onto the streets to kill??? Or was it a small sick minority born and raised on both sides of the border who waged war???
    If you want to go down that route we can ask about your beloved armed forces or better said SAS opening fire on innocent catholics a number of times over the years....not the fine English way of doing things.

What you should not forget is.....your government sent TM and her mates to Brussels to negotiate the WA including backstop on behalf od the UK and they accepted the offer and that the EU wouldnt change it, brought it back to the HoC and then the fun started because basically no one knows what they want. Added to that she is abusing the DUP to keep herself in power, for want of a better phrase, she is selling them a wet duck. As soon as she has what she wants it goodbye DUP and feck Northern Ireland.

In all of this the only ones playing games sit in the HoCs. The EU and Ireland are clearly singing of the same hyme sheet and are not moving the goal posts every few days. Thats what the UK dont like, in fact it must be sickening them...they cant conquer and divide to get what they want.

We don't 'agree', as I truly hope Trimble brings this to court (he won't) and gets rightly told he is wrong.
    The GFA is central to the rights of those who live in northern Ireland. Bith communities. The EU element is being tampered with and it is wholly right that a co=guarantor steps in to uphold it.

Uk did not agree to anything. I clearly remember us being told when we were concerned about the backstop that nothing is agreed until everything is agreed.

What is your plan?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭jochenstacker

Last point first. I can’t take someone seriously who talks about punishing people in hell.

Tell me if the bottom line is
    No deal with no backstop. Or. Deal with no backstop. Which will Eu countries prefer (alert from roi)?? Serious question.

How about:
    The deal is the deal is the deal.
    Take it or leave it.
    It really isn't very complicated.

Folks
    I genuinely had not intention of sparking this reaction.
    I have tried to be both respectful and honest.
    Yes we disagree. But some pretty viscous stuff about my integrity etc is being posted.
    I am not reacting to that last long post as it’s off topic.
    Can I say I have def learnt stuff and had my views challenged on this thread by the many who are open for discussion but the thread has taken a bit of a turn now that’s not that helpful I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

What is your plan?

And it all comes back to this.

Fine fine, the EU are being horrible dictatorial autocrats not giving an inch.

So, please tell us...

Please...

What do they need to do to make this OK?

What is Britian's demand in negotiations?

If no-one can answer this, then i can hardly see how Tusk is being unreasonable in calling out those that pushed this through knowing it would lead their country to a massive recession.

Folks
    Yes we disagree. But some pretty viscous stuff about my integrity etc is being posted.
    Can I say I have def learnt stuff and had my views challenged on this thread by the many who are open for discussion but the thread has taken a bit of a turn now that’s not that helpful I reckon.

Did you mean to post this in a different thread?
    You seem to feel like you have been victimised here. That is not what has happened on this thread. You are being challenged with alternative views and facts and personally, I don't feel anything vicious has been said about you. It's been quite restrained in fact.

But to ask you one question, what is it that you have learned?

Midlife wrote: »
    And it all comes back to this.

Fine fine, the EU are being horrible dictatorial autocrats not giving an inch.

So, please tell us...

Please...

What do they need to do to make this OK?

What is Britian's demand in negotiations?

If no-one can answer this, then i can hardly see how Tusk is being unreasonable in calling out those that pushed this through knowing it would lead their country to a massive recession.

Sure , tusk is bad. The EU are bad.

The Irish, they're bad.

Oh and their taoiseach sure he's bad too.

Why can't ye all just know your place and bow to our will.

Etc.etc.etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Folks

Odd how the thread always takes a turn whenever you turn up posting lies, nonsense and dodging issues

• Advertisement

Folks

You are doing what the UK have done from the start...running away from questions, evading and being disingenuous. And you are getting called on it now, just like Tusk has called out the Brexiteers - expect more of this as we get closer to No Deal. There are a lot of angry people out there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement