Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread VII (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭Enzokk

downcow wrote: »
    I will watch it again but I think “Tv” was a wee lie you added to that. Hope it doesn’t cross the world Twice before it’s corrected

No it wasn't something I added as a lie because Tusk was specific on who he meant by his comment. He didn't mean Oliver Norgrove who worked for Vote Leave but those that is meant to have the plans when they stand behind an idea. That is Michael Gove, Boris Johnson, Daniel Hannan and Nigel Farage to name a few. Those people, politicians, that actually make a difference to your and my life. They are the ones that appeared on TV most times or on radio to ask people to vote to leave the EU. They should have supplied a plan to the PM but they haven't.

Here are some of the people he meant,

I guess it must be cultural differences. To tell a group of people that they have a place reserved in hell is fairly incredible in my culture. But more than that it is arrogant and implies that eu are angels.
    I am not upset about it. Indeed it shows cracks appearing in Eu earlier than I thought. I reckoned we wouldn’t see any moves until after the 14th but this clearly will create some pressure within Europe. I guess many in Eu will be highly embarrassed about his outburst.
    So it’s positive for UK Let’s hope we get a few more irrational comments from Eu reps in the coming days

What group of people?
    Boris, Farage, Mogg?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Shelga

Why does no one EVER ask Arlene Foster or any of her cronies why in god's name they advocated a Leave vote? What possible advantages are there to Northern Ireland?

All I ever see is her bleating on about what she doesn't want. No one ever takes her to task about how NI leaving the EU is simply not compatible with the GFA. I know she doesn't care about the GFA, but it would be nice if she was pressed to admit it.

The DUP actually boil my blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,425 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Here’s hoping May gets sent packing sharpish from Brussels back to London. The Brits still seem to be under some sort of impression that they have the upper hand in these negotiations.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,420 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Enzokk wrote: »
    No it wasn't something I added as a lie because Tusk was specific on who he meant by his comment. He didn't mean Oliver Norgrove who worked for Vote Leave but those that is meant to have the plans when they stand behind an idea. That is Michael Gove, Boris Johnson, Daniel Hannan and Nigel Farage to name a few. Those people, politicians, that actually make a difference to your and my life. They are the ones that appeared on TV most times or on radio to ask people to vote to leave the EU. They should have supplied a plan to the PM but they haven't.

Here are some of the people he meant,

If you really believe that then why did you need to add stuff he didn’t say to his quote to convince us

• Advertisement

Fairly typical after all the nonsense and vitriol thrown at the EU that people are huffing over getting a bit thrown back at them.

Arlene huffing about it is hilarious, given her record of vitriol and foot stamping.

It's the Trump school, act like a complete arsehole and act like a 5 year old when someone throws back some sass.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Hurrache wrote: »
    They're not dealing with those the comments were aimed at. And May tomorrow can hardly turn around and stand up for them can she?

It's not really a great defence of saying it. Certainly not for Verhofstadt, he just looks like he's trying to piggy back on it all, maybe get a few slaps on the back from the lads down the pub if he's lucky sort of crap.
    Fairly typical after all the nonsense and vitriol thrown at the EU that people are huffing over getting a bit thrown back at them.

Arlene huffing about it is hilarious, given her record of vitriol and foot stamping.

I'd be of the opinion though that if you're 'opponent' in any negotiation is determined to keep reaching for more rope then, while there's no reason to stop feeding it to them, there's also no need to start pointing and laughing at them while they do and risk actually looking like you're the one doing the hanging.

Keep quiet and let them do their own damage.

Shelga wrote: »
    Why does no one EVER ask Arlene Foster or any of her cronies why in god's name they advocated a Leave vote? What possible advantages are there to Northern Ireland?

All I ever see is her bleating on about what she doesn't want. No one ever takes her to task about how NI leaving the EU is simply not compatible with the GFA. I know she doesn't care about the GFA, but it would be nice if she was pressed to admit it.

Well, from their perspective the dup would welcome the hardest of hard borders with the ROI so hard Brexit is what they wish for

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

If you really believe that then why did you need to add stuff he didn’t say to his quote to convince us

The key element, at any rate, is that he clearly referred to politicians, rather than voters.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I guess it must be cultural differences. To tell a group of people that they have a place reserved in hell is fairly incredible in my culture. But more than that it is arrogant and implies that eu are angels.
    I am not upset about it. Indeed it shows cracks appearing in Eu earlier than I thought. I reckoned we wouldn’t see any moves until after the 14th but this clearly will create some pressure within Europe. I guess many in Eu will be highly embarrassed about his outburst.
    So it’s positive for UK Let’s hope we get a few more irrational comments from Eu reps in the coming days

You are delusional.

Liars, con-men, snake oil salesmen and charlatans usually have a low place reserved for them in most cultures. It seems your 'culture', whatever that might be, doesn't consider them as such.

Cracks - lol

• Advertisement

You are aware that one of the main signatories to the gfa and a very moderate unionist (Trimble) is contemplating taking a judicial review as he says the backstop is completely contrary to the gfa.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,771 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The gloves ore off Downcow. Tusk, Leo and the rest of the EU know the negociations are finished, the dye is cast.
    They can do no diplomatic damage to the process anymore and can say as they feel.

And I would imagine the fools who went into this without a clue about what it meant are going to hear more of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,292 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

We all know why they were for leave, because the taigs were for remain.

And they did bring a lot of people with them. 44% voted leave in NI.

If DUP had backed remain, it would have been at least 80/20 in NI imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,181 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I guess it must be cultural differences. To tell a group of people that they have a place reserved in hell is fairly incredible in my culture.

What culture, and what group of people?

The key element, at any rate, is that he clearly referred to politicians, rather than voters.
    How do you know that? While I was neutral. Many ordinary people in my community campaigned for brexit. I heard him clearly saying there was a place reserved for them in hell. Just look honestly at what he said!

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Doesn't really explain why you'd go and decide to have a good auld laugh at them on social media though does it? At best it's unprofessional.

Like I said earlier, I don't get the rationale behind the exact language Tusk decided to use but I can understand why you'd want to send a strong message.

This bit from Verhofstadt just looks like you're trying to have a laugh at their expense though which is never a good look, and certainly not given his position concerning Brexit.

It is not aimed at May though and that is who is will be dealing with. It is very clever in that the only people that can be upset by it is the same people that can prove him wrong by showing their plan right now. Seeing as they are incredibly upset about it instead of proving him wrong by showing their plan or actually helping they are all just venting, which means he is right.

As for Verhofstadt, his posts is most likely in reaction to the reaction from the politicians feigning indignation. He is laughing at them getting upset at the truth, which is very funny to be honest.

You obviously are not getting it and have fallen for it. It is not aimed at you but you have been sold that it is. He is not saying you are going to hell, he is not the arbitrator of who is and who isn't going to hell either. What he is saying is those that lied to you and convinced you that leaving the EU is the best thing for you belongs in hell. People are going to die due to their lies, not on here, but because there will be less money for social services and people will lose their jobs and homes. Those that lied to ensure this happens can go and rot in hell in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,771 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

You are aware that one of the main signatories to the gfa and a very moderate unionist (Trimble) is contemplating taking a judicial review as he says the backstop is completely contrary to the gfa.

He hasn't lodged anything yet and will have to overturn the opinion of the UK attorney general to prove his case. The AG found the backstop NOT to affect the constitutional position of northern Ireland one bit.

How do you know that? While I was neutral. Many ordinary people in my community campaigned for brexit. I heard him clearly saying there was a place reserved for them in hell. Just look honestly at what he said!

Would those campaigners usualy set national policy and set out plans?

If so then he is referring to them, if not then he was not.

HE quite clearly said those without a plan for afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 10,181 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

This is the challenge which experts believe to have no chance?

Hurrache wrote: »
    What culture, and what group of people?

The group he sited. All those who campaigned for brexit.
    Folks I know yous are giving me sh1t and I am on the edge with mods etc. But I challenge any of you to site anything untrue or disrespectful that I have said throughout this debate. I know that won’t save me as my view is contrary to the acceptable line here

• Advertisement

You are misrepresenting his position

Look again at his comment. Quote it IN FULL please and add your observations.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,845 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Folks I know yous are giving me sh1t and I am on the edge with mods etc. But I challenge any of you to site anything untrue or disrespectful that I have said throughout this debate. I know that won’t save me as my view is contrary to the acceptable line here

You've lied several times over the last few pages about what tusk said.

So I'm having trouble with what you are presenting as fact.

It's disturbing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Enzokk wrote: »
    As for Verhofstadt, his posts is most likely in reaction to the reaction from the politicians feigning indignation. He is laughing at them getting upset at the truth, which is very funny to be honest.

I just don't think it's a great look for anyone. Let alone here.

Who? Define them, because he stated those without a plan. Do regular campaigners regularly plan national policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,841 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Your view is to consistently and intentionally misrepresent facts which should be contrary to any aceptable line anywhere.

Because you seem to almost want to misinterpret what he said. If his very basic quote is not clear to you what he meant and people explaining it to you what he said doesn't clear it up then why are you posting about it on a discussion forum. You have made up your mind that you are personally offended by what Tusk has said and you are just venting now.

You were not neutral, I think we have established that. You would have voted Leave which means you were not neutral. If you were your answer to how you would have voted would have been that you couldn't make up your mind so you wouldn't have voted.

I am getting short on patience here, but are you seriously suggesting that those that went on the streets to campaign should have had a plan according to Donald Tusk? Are you saying that someone like Owen Jones who is a major campaigner for Labour should be writing plans and policies for Labour when he goes out to campaign? Because the only way those that campaigned on the street was meant by Tusk as those that are somehow on his list for hell is if they personally write plans and policies for the DUP or the Tories.

Or do those that campaign usually get their reading material on what the plans are from the official campaigns before they go out? And are those campaigns not backed by the very people I have been telling you he meant? The likes of Hannan, Farage, Johnson and Gove?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1093169266327642114

They are having a lot of fun today, it seems.

You are misrepresenting his position

Look again at his comment. Quote it IN FULL please and add your observations.

I am honestly stunned. I think I have been completely honest. I have watched again and here is my best honest attempt at quoting him.

“I’ve been wondering, what a special place in hell looks like for those who promoted brexit without even a sketch of a plan”

Many many many of my friends promoted brexit. So please tell me how I am misunderstanding this. And he clearly read it from a prepare statement. As someone said to me on here earlier, wake up and smell the coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,292 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

So what if campaigners feel hurt by Tusks comments. Although they weren't directed at them, they do have a place in the hierarchy of blame.

They did campaign for a half baked (being kind) idea with no plan behind it.

There's also a place for leave voters in this pyramid too, they aren't blameless either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

I am honestly stunned. I think I have been completely honest. I have watched again and here is my best honest attempt at quoting him.

“I’ve been wondering, what a special place in hell looks like for those who promoted brexit without even a sketch of a plan”

Many many many of my friends promoted brexit. So please tell me how I am misunderstanding this. And he clearly read it from a prepare statement. As someone said to me on here earlier, wake up and smell the coffee.

If they had a detailed plan as to how the UK would operate after Brexit, then obviously they weren't his target.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement