Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE: The Savage Eye

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

He comes across very genuine..

I love his stuff.. very talented man imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Raspberry Fileds

I wonder is McSavage aware that RT has a reputation for being (and excuse the cliche) a mouthpiece of the Kremlin. He implies Irish politics/government is "much more than controversial ... possibly criminal". But what of Russian politics? The positivity he has for the interview lends credibility to the channel and, by extension, the line it pushes.

The interview was heavily edited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭DainBramage

thanks for posting. from what i've seen his interviews are usually car-crash stuff, so good to see him relaxed

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I wonder is McSavage aware that RT has a reputation for being (and excuse the cliche) a mouthpiece of the Kremlin. He implies Irish politics/government is "much more than controversial ... possibly criminal". But what of Russian politics? The positivity he has for the interview lends credibility to the channel and, by extension, the line it pushes.

i'm sure he is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭DainBramage

fcuk sake man relax
    too see russian TV /media or whatever KGB are known as these days running about editing or even caring about an obscure wonky nosed irish comedians interview is a bit much.........I'm sure mcsavage would love the idea though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,341 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Just watched the last episode, agree it was the funniest of the series so far.

Watched an old episode of the Savage Eye titled why are the Irish so racist. Love/Hate viewers might recognise the lad who was interviewed on the street. :D

Seems a bit of a dick. He made an unbelievably racist comment about 'needing a torch in Dublin city centre in the middle of the day' :eek:

312108.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭TheBa

Anyone know where I can buy or download this latest series. Would really love to send it to my friend in Australia. Been trying to think of a present for ages and they'd ADORE this!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

They're doing a christmas episode this year :D

cloud493 wrote: »
    They're doing a christmas episode this year :D

Think it's just a best of....mcsavage had little to do with it as far as I know

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Oh really. Thats a shame :( wish they'd hurry up and release the series on DVD. Series 4 doesn't seem to be anywhere on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭mchammer

can't understand why there isn't a boxset of the savage eye for xmas... it would be a nice earner for them... I am looking for a clip from an early episode where gerard mcsorley is playing an obedient husband standing alongside his wife who is giving a grand designs type tour of a recently renovated house and his muttering all sorts of improper stuff under his breath while this is going on.. it was hilarious..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭mattser

[QUOTE=mchammer;97876643]can't understand why there isn't a boxset of the savage eye for xmas... it would be a nice earner for them... I am looking for a clip from an early episode where gerard mcsorley is playing an obedient husband standing alongside his wife who is giving a grand designs type tour of a recently renovated house and his muttering all sorts of improper stuff under his breath while this is going on.. it was hilarious..[/QUOTE]

Not enough demand probably

mchammer wrote: »
    can't understand why there isn't a boxset of the savage eye for xmas... it would be a nice earner for them... I am looking for a clip from an early episode where gerard mcsorley is playing an obedient husband standing alongside his wife who is giving a grand designs type tour of a recently renovated house and his muttering all sorts of improper stuff under his breath while this is going on.. it was hilarious..
    wasn't it something to do with the soundtrack?? they'd have to completely redo the sountrack to release on dvd as they'd have to pay most of it in royalties?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭worded

wasn't it something to do with the soundtrack?? they'd have to completely redo the sountrack to release on dvd as they'd have to pay most of it in royalties?

Was a big over sight if that was the case.

Id say the demand is there

Id buy it, particularly for mates abroad.

Is it possible to view any of the episodes on RTE player etc- or are they gone after 30 days?

Are boot legs being sold on O'Connell Bridge anymore? Remember the fellow with the suitcase full of boot leg cassettes ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Sounds plausible. The BBC, for example, have to do substantial edits when they do DVD releases, as the licensing agreements for broadcast and for DVD are different, and more restrictive in the latter.

(As I understand it).

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Sounds plausible. The BBC, for example, have to do substantial edits when they do DVD releases, as the licensing agreements for broadcast and for DVD are different, and more restrictive in the latter.

(As I understand it).
    the music in the savage eye was amazing, i'd say they tried to make the best show they could and thought nothing of DVDs. I doubt anyone can use Kashmir by led zep to easily!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

the music in the savage eye was amazing, i'd say they tried to make the best show they could and thought nothing of DVDs. I doubt anyone can use Kashmir by led zep to easily!!

Exactly. It's the same as Reeling in the Years and Cold Case in terms of music. It's far too expensive to negotiate deals on music for future home media release so they just made the best soundtrack possible for TV and pay a smaller fee.

It's not at all an oversight as someone else said. One of the copyright solicitors in RTE used to lecture me in college and she worked on Reeling in the Years. She said that the cost of purchasing the rights to music for DVDs is exorbitant for quite a small broadcaster such as RTE (in comparison to Sky etc) and the distribution market is so small that they'd never make a return on it given that at the outset they've no idea of popularity or how long the show will run for.

Same with Cold Case in the US. Every episode has distinct music in it.

And as soon as you go back looking to extend the copyright license after broadcast, the price always goes up as they know you need THAT song.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

the whole series from s01e01 is online if you know where to look

mchammer wrote: »
    I am looking for a clip from an early episode where gerard mcsorley is playing an obedient husband standing alongside his wife who is giving a grand designs type tour of a recently renovated house and his muttering all sorts of improper stuff under his breath while this is going on.. it was hilarious..

looked it up, great alright. such an under-rated show

https://streamable.com/n1h4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

the whole series from s01e01 is online if you know where to look

Enlighten us so because i'v not found it outside of a few clips.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

There used to be a very handy Irish torrent site for everything off Irish tv, but it closed in August. Dont know of a replacement yet.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/3g4cjv/looks_like_sharingirish_formerly_irishtorrentscom/

an uploader has moved to tvchaosuk.com, he's doing great work

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭LandonRicketts

RTE just added all 4 seasons to the RTE Player today it seems!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭worded

Great! could do with a laugh

this was one of the funniest things ever on RTE imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭dazey

Oooh great news!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭mchammer

RTE just added all 4 seasons to the RTE Player today it seems!

ledge

• Registered Users Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭Acosta

Pity it doesn't appear to ever be coming back. It really help up a mirror to official Ireland and they didn't like it one bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭techman1

They must have taken it down again, I did a search of "the savage eye" on rte player, no results

Amother thing it seems clips have been removed from youtube.

A clip about gay priests writing the book of kells appears to have been taken down.

Also another hilarious clip about an interconnector to France with Mcsavage in Napoleon pose rowing into a a french beech with a giant 3pin plug and cable unable to plug into the french continental socket. Would have been topical now

Advertisement