Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russian Doll [Netflix]

• 10-01-2019 7:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 55,433 ✭✭✭✭

Russian Doll stars Natasha Lyonne and starts on February 1st on Netflix. Looks like a very adult Groundhog Day/Happy Death Day, and looks darkly funny. Hope it's good! I love anything with a clever time loop. :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Happy Death Day was so disappointing, but this looks pretty great.

And for those who care about these things (Such as me, cos it pretty much got me watching the trailer), it comes from the mind of Amy Poehler.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Thought it was a remake of Belgian series Matrioshki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Dolls:_Sex_Trade

which was available on Sky Arts replay at one stage

looks good anyhow

• Registered Users Posts: 55,433 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

This is out on Friday and it's getting amazing reviews.

https://www.metacritic.com/tv/russian-doll

• Registered Users Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭corkie

[JOE] Netflix's new comedy is already being called one of the best shows of 2019
    ^^^ Click bait title? Hoping it doesn't disappoint.
    Co-created by Amy Poehler (Parks & Rec, Sisters), Netflix's new comedy is a high-concept mix of Groundhog Day and Happy Death Day.

Russian Doll stars Natasha Lyonne (Orange Is The New Black, American Pie) as a woman trying to escape a party that is being thrown in her honour, but upon leaving, she is killed in a car accident, and then wakes up... back at the party.

Over and over, she is killed and killed again, and each and every time she winds up back in the middle of the party she is trying to escape.

MV5BMTEyMzc2MTE2MzheQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU4MDUwNTY0ODYx._V1_UX214_CR0,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

^^^ Liked the actress in OITNB.

"He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him! I'll chase him round the moons of Nibia and round the Antares maelstrom and round perdition's flames before I give him up!" - Khan quoting Moby Dick (Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Refuse to click into JOE.ie and give it reward for a clickbait strategy, but does the article even pretend to give examples of how it's "being called"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

it looks good and very funny but youd have to wonder how many times her dying will be funny.
    also how can they stretch something like this out for a number of seasons.then again im not a writer so what the hell do i know.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Refuse to click into JOE.ie and give it reward for a clickbait strategy, but does the article even pretend to give examples of how it's "being called"?

Using quotes from the following sources: - Variety, Time, Rolling Stone and San Francisco Chronicle.

"He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him! I'll chase him round the moons of Nibia and round the Antares maelstrom and round perdition's flames before I give him up!" - Khan quoting Moby Dick (Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan)

Thanks corkie.

As to the comment about 3 seasons, I suspect there's more to the Groundhog Day deaths than just gallows humour; wonder if it expands out into some broader mystery...

New trailer out, with a different perspective to the others.

Released today.

• Advertisement

Anyone start watching it yet?

Been catching up on other shows aired last night. STD, Orvile, TBBT and YS.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,844 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

5 episodes in, like it so far. Not hilarious but very clever.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

5 episodes in, like it so far. Not hilarious but very clever.

Holy god dude, it only came out this morning :D

Holy god dude, it only came out this morning :D

Less than half an hour an episode! Actually on the 6th :) Glue sniffing ftw.*

*That'll probably make more sense when you've watched, plus can't beat some good evostick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Happy Death Day was so disappointing, but this looks pretty great.

And for those who care about these things (Such as me, cos it pretty much got me watching the trailer), it comes from the mind of Amy Poehler.

That's me in.:)

Who the F**k*ng hell calls there cat "OATMEAL"???

Got through the first episode, be-careful, blink and you miss important parts. Had to rewind a few times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Johnny Red Cab

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Binged it all. Thought it was great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Johnny Red Cab

It was brilliant. Although the song above was overused.

It was brilliant. Although the song above was overused.

Yeah, I enjoyed it too, one of the best Netflix original series I've watched. Re the tune, I thought it was irritatingly present early on(but used for good reason) but really didn't notice it much after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

This was alright...it was okay. Don't really get the overwhelmingly glowing reviews, it wasn't anything super special.

Really tired of Natasha Lyonne's schtick, even before Orange Is The New Black...her voice, her mannerisms, her whole gimmick...she's like a cross between Danny DeVito and Whoopi Goldberg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

I watched 2 and a half episodes and thought it was shít. The main woman's accent was all over the place too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Binged this over the weekend. Loved it. the humour was good, when it was creepy it was done very well, and importantly, for a show with a premise like this, it nailed the landing.

Anyone else get the feeling that they would have cast Carrie Fisher in the role of Ruth if she was still alive?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Binged this over the weekend. Loved it. the humour was good, when it was creepy it was done very well, and importantly, for a show with a premise like this, it nailed the landing.

Anyone else get the feeling that they would have cast Carrie Fisher in the role of Ruth if she was still alive?

Genuinely thought it was Carrie Fisher for half a second!

Loved this. Great show, and it demands a rewatch. Looking forward to going through a second time.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Arcsurvivor

An interesting show and felt like Natasha Lyonne was two different people. Drama/half comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

4 episodes in, loving it, the script is bang on.

I love Natasha anyway, but her acting is top notch.

Can't wait to see the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

She really overdoes the whole Jewish thing. I know she is actually Jewish but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

She really overdoes the whole Jewish thing. I know she is actually Jewish but still.
    Thought it was Alan Arkin in a fright wig.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

She's Jewish, from New York. She's pretty much playing herself in this, even some of the character's backstory matches hers.

How can someone overdo playing herself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84,319 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

This was alright...it was okay. Don't really get the overwhelmingly glowing reviews, it wasn't anything super special.

Really tired of Natasha Lyonne's schtick, even before Orange Is The New Black...her voice, her mannerisms, her whole gimmick...she's like a cross between Danny DeVito and Whoopi Goldberg.

I do enjoy Lyonne in this, her best role to date imho

Advertisement