Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW EGR cooler recall

• 31-01-2019 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

A family remember's 2014 BMW 420d went into the dealer for a routine service today. Apparently they have found a fault with the Exhaust Gas Recirculation cooler, which is a safety issue and it will need to be replaced as part of a recall.

First of all, I've never heard of an EGR cooler, I assume this is another device used to make newer diesels emissions compliant. Second, the dealer says it will take 1 month to fix and the car can't be driven during that time as it is unsafe.

Has anyone had their BMW recalled for this issue? If it is a safety issue, I'm highly surprised that a letter wasn't sent out, or even a phone call from the dealer. It's a bit of an inconvenience that they will hold the car until it's fixed, even if a replacement car is given. Shouldn't they notify a recall by a letter and schedule you in for repair at a time that suits you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

The EGR recirculates exhaust gases back into the manifold in order to reduce emissions. As you can imagine it gets hot therefore it needs its own cooling setup.

Several people here (myself included) have had the check done on our F30 330d's and another on his F10 535d and they all got the all clear (for now). We all got letters in the post about it. Mine was flat-bedded from my house to Morissons in Cahir and I had to make do with getting lifts. They had it from a Friday until the following Tuesday. It didn't need the work done so I got it back quickly.

It's a shambles as someone's partner's 520d had to go in for it and they weren't given a rental or loaner car. Just told that if the car came in it would basically be impounded in the BMW dealership until parts came in 2 months down the line. It's astounding that they can keep someone's car for 2 months while waiting on parts and not give a loaner or rental or anything for the duration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭moby2101

A friend of mine in the UK had his 6series recalled before Christmas for this issue:

Munich. BMW AG investigations have revealed that - similar to the current Korean situation - an Exhaust-Gas-Recirculation (EGR) module malfunction may, in rare cases, cause fires in some BMW diesel vehicles in the European market.

The BMW Group has decided to carry out a technical campaign to check the EGR module and replace any faulty components on the potentially affected vehicles.
    A buddy of mine in the UK was contacted about his 6 series , he sent me the following at he time:

In the European market this technical action relates to the EGR module of BMW 3 Series, 4 Series, 5 Series, 6 Series, 7 Series, X3, X4, X5, X6 vehicles with 4-cylinder diesel engines (production from April 2015 until September 2016) and 6-cylinder diesel engines (production from July 2012 until June 2015).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Pops_20 wrote: »
    A family remember's 2014 BMW 420d went into the dealer for a routine service today. Apparently they have found a fault with the Exhaust Gas Recirculation cooler, which is a safety issue and it will need to be replaced as part of a recall.

First of all, I've never heard of an EGR cooler, I assume this is another device used to make newer diesels emissions compliant. Second, the dealer says it will take 1 month to fix and the car can't be driven during that time as it is unsafe.

Has anyone had their BMW recalled for this issue? If it is a safety issue, I'm highly surprised that a letter wasn't sent out, or even a phone call from the dealer. It's a bit of an inconvenience that they will hold the car until it's fixed, even if a replacement car is given. Shouldn't they notify a recall by a letter and schedule you in for repair at a time that suits you?

I got a letter from BMW about the safety recall.. I have a 520D , I had it in before xmas and they had a look at it and the note was "EGR diagnoses to follow" but not sure if they replaced anything ... Will need to follow up with them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Just told that if the car came in it would basically be impounded in the BMW dealership until parts came in 2 months down the line. It's astounding that they can keep someone's car for 2 months while waiting on parts and not give a loaner or rental or anything for the duration.

Is that even legal?

Surely they should be liable to give out a loaner and if there is none available rent something.

Was it in the UK somewhere that I read everyone was given enterprise rentals?

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Pops_20

Thanks for the replies everyone. We don't recall any letter being received regarding this. However, if the issue is so dangerous that the car cannot be driven until it is repaired, I would have expected at least a phone call from the dealer to let us know about the issue.
    A quick google tells me that the recall was announced in August. The car has been driving around since then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 A254959

My 320 d was recalled on Monday last for the same reason. However, when they looked at the car they told me it was grounded for 2 weeks. Phoned them after 4 days to be told that it needs new parts which will take 40 minutes to install. Only problem is they have to wait for the new parts to be made in Germany as they have run out. So I have been given a Hyundai i30 automatic for the interim at a cost of €100 deposit (refundable if I dont crash it) and €20 to amend the insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

A254959 wrote: »
    My 320 d was recalled on Monday last for the same reason. However, when they looked at the car they told me it was grounded for 2 weeks. Phoned them after 4 days to be told that it needs new parts which will take 40 minutes to install. Only problem is they have to wait for the new parts to be made in Germany as they have run out. So I have been given a Hyundai i30 automatic for the interim at a cost of €100 deposit (refundable if I dont crash it) and €20 to amend the insurance.

Was the deposit to a dealer or to a rental company?

In fairness if that was to a rental company thats cheap. I usually pay 5k when I rent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Whocare

Got the recall letter two weeks ago 2013 320d need to book it in now

tcawley29 wrote: »
    Is that even legal?

Surely they should be liable to give out a loaner and if there is none available rent something.

Was it in the UK somewhere that I read everyone was given enterprise rentals?

I have no idea as to the legality of it. His partner was just told that they would be keeping the car and nothing said about a loaner or rental.
    Thanks for the replies everyone. We don't recall any letter being received regarding this. However, if the issue is so dangerous that the car cannot be driven until it is repaired, I would have expected at least a phone call from the dealer to let us know about the issue.
    A quick google tells me that the recall was announced in August. The car has been driving around since then.

GustavoFring on here didn't get any letter either. He only found out that his one was due through pricing up a service on a dealer's site.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Got the letter for a 2014 N47. Had just sold the car so glad I don't have deal with it. I informed the new owner. I can't believe people are not being given replacement cars, unreal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,096 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Got no letter but had it checked and given the ok when my 530d was in for a service.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Wasn't in Cork by any chance?

Herselfs one had the threat of the car not being returned. They wouldn't even update the idrive service history for the last time which they didn't bother doing without the threat of it being kept in. Bit annoying as I couldn't clarify anywhere how the history would work if I got a later one done somewhere else so was stuck. No mention of the possibility of a rental or anything bar saying no car would be provided. It's booked in now and it's on my head and all that if we take it away.

Had mine done elsewhere hassle free though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭carsfan2

We had a 2015 x5 25d that suffered intermittent slight power loss and it was put down to the egr cooler.
    The car was replaced in 2017 with another x5 25d that had the newer engine. This one suffered similar power losses and one day last year just died and ended up on truck back to dealer. This was blamed on the egr failure and car has been ok since.
    I’d say this recall is costing a small fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Pops_20

Wasn't in Cork by any chance?

Herselfs one had the threat of the car not being returned. They wouldn't even update the idrive service history for the last time which they didn't bother doing without the threat of it being kept in. Bit annoying as I couldn't clarify anywhere how the history would work if I got a later one done somewhere else so was stuck. No mention of the possibility of a rental or anything bar saying no car would be provided. It's booked in now and it's on my head and all that if we take it away.

Had mine done elsewhere hassle free though.

Yes it's Cork. Are you saying they didn't want to return her car after a service and wouldn't update the service history unless she left the car at the garage pending the recall work??

It turns out a recall letter was sent. It arrived TODAY, after the car had already been taken to the garage. Just a coincidence.

We have been given a Hyundai Kona from Europcar. €100 deposit as mentioned above, and could have it for a month. Awful yoke :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

It turns out a recall letter was sent. It arrived TODAY, after the car had already been taken to the garage. Just a coincidence.

I received a letter from the dealer I bought the car from back at the end of August. After a few cancellations from myself I got it looked at and it was fine. Last week I received another letter from BMW Ireland, pretty much the same as the one I got from the dealer!

Yes it's Cork. Are you saying they didn't want to return her car after a service and wouldn't update the service history unless she left the car at the garage pending the recall work??

We have been given a Hyundai Kona from Europcar. €100 deposit as mentioned above, and could have it for a month. Awful yoke :o

Cork too with my wife’s car. When I queried a car if it was faulty I was told point blank no. That’s irritating given the question was asked and zero mention of a hire car and a loaner wasn’t an option. Seemed to surprise the lady when I said the car wasn’t staying there as she needs the car for work. Her commutes 50km and public transport isn’t an option.

They wouldn’t update the service history they didn’t add the last time without the risk of it being kept there as they’d do the check then apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

The EGR recirculates exhaust gases back into the manifold in order to reduce emissions. As you can imagine it gets hot therefore it needs its own cooling setup.

Several people here (myself included) have had the check done on our F30 330d's and another on his F10 535d and they all got the all clear (for now). We all got letters in the post about it. Mine was flat-bedded from my house to Morissons in Cahir and I had to make do with getting lifts. They had it from a Friday until the following Tuesday. It didn't need the work done so I got it back quickly.

It's a shambles as someone's partner's 520d had to go in for it and they weren't given a rental or loaner car. Just told that if the car came in it would basically be impounded in the BMW dealership until parts came in 2 months down the line. It's astounding that they can keep someone's car for 2 months while waiting on parts and not give a loaner or rental or anything for the duration.

I got the letter a couple of weeks ago for my F30 330d and i have it booked in next week was told they would need it for the day they didnt say anything about a few days,hopefully its just a routine check for me cant be without the car for to long.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

My mams 132 520d is called in for the recall.
    Only 1 in 10 are affected, but they need it for the day as they need to test it on a cold engine.

My 142 520d had it checked as part of the recall in the UK last year.

No rental car allowed by BMW on this recall, but they will give you one for €35 (Joe Duffy BMW).
    Some of the UK guys are getting loaners but its down to the dealer in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jm1959

Does anyone know what the legal situation is regarding a replacement car when my car has been grounded? If they build a car with faulty parts or has a shoddy build, should BMW not be responsible for car rental for the period the car is off the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,030 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I was in a cork BMW dealer just this week for a small job (2hrs)
    I was made aware that my car needed the egr cooler recall done.

Was asked if the car had any symptoms, loss of power, burning smell etc.
    I told them all was well.

Was then told that they didn't have the replacement parts, and that it would be a month or two before they could do it, and that it would be an all day job, 9to5
    And that if the car showed any symptoms, that I should contact them.

Never was I told not to drive it, it that they wouldn't give the car back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

I got the recall letter a couple of weeks ago and contacted two different BMW dealers. One couldn't book in the car until Mid March and the other couldn't fit it in until the end of March so an 8 / 10 week lead time. They mentioned that they had limited slots and equipment. There was no mention of a shortage of the parts. Again, I was told that if there was a problem with the car currently that they'd try and do something with it sooner. I was shocked at the lead time for what was titled a Safety Recall.

What I don't get though, is how they can "impound" the car? Regardless of their ability of giving a loaner or not, I can't see how they can insist on holding on to a car for any period of it's against the wishes of the owner. That doesn't sound legal. The fact that the period they propose to withhold a car for could be weeks is beyond comprehension.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Avns1s wrote: »
    What I don't get though, is how they can "impound" the car?

I guess if the driver was killed when a car went up in smoke, after bringing the car in and being told it would be two months, BMW would be accused of failing to ensure the safety of a car that was presented to them for repairs. Kind of makes sense.

A disclaimer signed by the customer would prevent this but not great PR warning customers if they drive of the lot and die in a car inferno that the fault is not BMW's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

I guess if the driver was killed when a car went up in smoke, after bringing the car in and being told it would be two months, BMW would be accused of failing to ensure the safety of a car that was presented to them for repairs. Kind of makes sense.

A disclaimer signed by the customer would prevent this but not great PR warning customers if they drive of the lot and die in a car inferno that the fault is not BMW's.

Good point but I was asked, "Is the car showing any symptoms, power loss, smell of fumes in the cabin?" and when I answered "no", I was told there was no panic.

So, if it can wait for 8-10 weeks, I cannot see why a car showing no symptoms would be held.

It will be held if the part is deemed to need replacing after inspection. It can he faulty and not display the symptoms.

It can also display the symptoms and be deemed OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Is this only on the F30 3 series?

My N47 E90 is going in for it's recall(s) in 2 weeks and they said they need it for the whole day, wondering if this is one of the items that's being done.

If you want your car back.. just take it back.

If they won't give the keys.. sit into a car in the showroom and wait till closing time.. see what happens.

If the Gardai arrive, tell them that you'd like to report the unauthorised taking of your car.

That's just what I'd do. But I'm an awkward fupker.

Just make sure that you've settled any outstanding bill, otherwise it could be considered a civil matter. ( And have the receipt).

If the garage claim that the car is unroadworthy.. get it in writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

BMW cars catch fire when all three conditions are met - when there is a leak in EGR cooler, when the EGR valve is partially set to be left open and the car drives in high speed, and when diesel particulate-NOx reduction system is in operation

WNc9une.jpg

gctest50 wrote: »

WNc9une.jpg

That'll buff out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

mikeecho wrote: »
    That'll buff out

That cheap tax tho

Advertisement