Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2018/2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Latest GFS shows the cold period starting Sunday with increasingly wintry showers and snow by Monday evening particularly in the west. Turning disruptive there overnight and widespread snow showers on Tuesday and, following right on from that, the real risk of various frontal snow events.

A big change from the winter so far.

we shall see.... My fortnightly groceries arrived yesterday and I have extra turf on order from my neighbour so all is easy here. Wish I had a camera though.. even my phone has died and I could nnot get the snowy photos from last year downloading

west mayo offshore bliss!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

I had to get up at 4 this morning. It was 11 degrees on my phone. Very nice to go out in I must say. Long may it continue but I have a feeling unfortunately that there will be a sting in the tail this winter yet

a wild and blustery snug night and a wild and blustery morning. Wind and water.. winter weather..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

DellyBelly wrote: »
    I had to get up at 4 this morning. It was 11 degrees on my phone. Very nice to go out in I must say. Long may it continue but I have a feeling unfortunately that there will be a sting in the tail this winter yet

Well hopefully, can't really say we have had a Winter yet

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

Pretty much all of the models have now trended toward a large cut off low over us next week, greatly reducing chance of uppers cold enough for snow and the sort of trough disruption which would have led to snowy conditions for many. Sad scenes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

It will still be cold Sunday through Wednesday but a bit messy

kod87 wrote: »
    Well hopefully, can't really say we have had a Winter yet

winter is chronological not meteorological... Has been winter all the... winter long ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

Graces7 wrote: »
    winter is chronological not meteorological... Has been winter all the... winter long ;)

Aww sweet way of looking at things I’ve never heard of chronological winter. Only Meteorological and Astronomical

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

This mornings ECM:

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

Villain wrote: »
    This mornings ECM:

giphy.gif

Depressing.com

I give up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

I've given up on model watching since the phantom easterly. It's as if the models are trying to bully us this winter.

Anyway, it's mild and cloudy in Dublin 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

It looks like if we want snow we have to watch Web cams from the US.

They are getting another snow storm over the weekend.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

esposito wrote: »
    Depressing.com

I give up.

Yep. Game over. I’m done. Someone come give me a shout if anything dramatically changes. I have to unfollow now. This thread is more of a tease than a lapdance would be :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

LOL LOL

8c83372ee6a30ae0270ebf158ea018bb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

MT’s forecast in light of all the negativity in here still mentions quite a lot of wintry stuff!! Anyway the Atlantic is too active at the moment for our liking which is what I thought would happen yesterday. From rock bottom this winter it can only go one way I suppose.

On a more serious note,the amplification just didn't happen the other weekend to trigger an east Atlantic ridge and cold northeasterly over Ireland but it can happen even with strong severe cold winter storms exiting the U.S.
    It's just hard to model
    I still fully expect one or two of those episodes to crop up as a reaction to the strat in the next few weeks
    Ergo if it's what you want,don't give up hope
    If you need a rest,just read mt and kermits posts,you'll find them on a search and that will update you

• Registered Users Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

MT’s forecast in light of all the negativity in here still mentions quite a lot of wintry stuff!!

I eat negativity for breakfast :cool:

Charts are not bad at all this morning. ECM is a little off but that's all part of the chopping and changing. Ample snow opportunities around the country throughout much of next week is the broader concensus.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭FrDougalMcguire

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

just after having a look at the charts and they don't seem much different to yesterday. Still cold zonal Atlantic driven with lots of marginal activity. ECM does look worse for cold but even that wasn't showing anything great into FI.

In terms of downgrades, this is in no way a huge upset like the massive wobble 2 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Gosh this winter has been incredibly dull. Not much cold or rain but so many dreary days with mist or low cloud. Blue skies please!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Gosh this winter has been incredibly dull. Not much cold or rain but so many dreary days with mist or low cloud. Blue skies please!

I would say this winter so far is probably up there with the greatest example of a disappointing winter since I first started posting on this forum. If I don't see a flake of snow or lying snow before 28 February, this will be the first winter to do so in my area since I was born in 1973. Certainly for me this winter already seems like a record breaking mild winter, even if officially it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

It's funny, that despite all the flips and turns we've seen yet, people are still insisting on very loudly and audibly throwing their toys out of the pram and screaming tabloid like buzz words when a single run doesn't go to plan.

To be honest it's more off-putting than the charts.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Blue sky and some sun here's this morning after two days of dark dingy muck.

I think I know what hibernation feels like ...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

JCX BXC wrote: »
    It's funny, that despite all the flips and turns we've seen yet, people are still insisting on very loudly and audibly throwing their toys out of the pram and screaming tabloid like buzz words when a single run doesn't go to plan.

To be honest it's more off-putting than the charts.

But if you're being honest to yourself here, it's not just a single run not going to plan now is it?

It's a winter full of runs being constantly downgraded.

People have breaking points and to be honest there is nothing solid to say the weather is going to be any different for the next few weeks.

People clinging on for false hope can be just as off putting than the charts too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

It's only weather. Nobody died.

despite all the negativity this morning, I am still remaining hopeful most of us will see snow at some point. It may not happen when you want it, but as MT said in his forecast this morning, the book is still open till April.

Next week is still our greatest chance so far this winter of seeing snow, so let's wait and see what happens. At least the weather is about to get alot more interesting than dark cloud and drizzle!. Next week will be a kitchen sink of weather, there is something in it for almost everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

It's only weather. Nobody died.

Any time I see you have posted I want to look but from behind a cushion as you are one of the realists here 🙈 🤣🤣

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

This has certainly been weather wise the worst winter I've seen in forty years plus of it. Drab uneventful weather since November. And no signs of any change looking at the charts. Marginal events maybe, but marginals don't butter my spuds these days. The SSW event, much hyped, delivered nothing. It was never guaranteed too, in fairness, but we still hoped it would. February could deliver the big white rabbit out of the hat, but I'm not going to get over excited. Now, if someone could retrieve my rattle and toys they seem to have been thrown out of my pram.

I've still an expectation of the SSW having an impact in the next fortnight now it's downwelling fully
    Meteorologist's are really only guessing and learning about it
    After that time to move on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,113 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

gozunda wrote: »
    Blue sky and some sun here's this morning after two days of dark dingy muck.

I think I know what hibernation feels like ...

It's been one hell of a good winter though.
    Yesterday and today are back to the double digits.
    Land is dry, grass is growing.

It's been the best winter in human memory for farming in this country.

We'll leave the snow worship to those with office jobs and no jobs.

Advertisement