Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car bomb has exploded in Derry City Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,247 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Where are you getting your information Dr? I'm not seeing much on the PSNI feed.

PSNI Foyle have confirmed all but the Drumahoe incident, that one I heard from a friend who lives there.

There is also a Facebook page called Cop/vosa watch Derry which has updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,739 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's all kicking off, didn't think there would be the numbers still around to do this. Jobs and prosperity normally knocks this sort of thing on the head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Sureal

not glamourising these criminals, yet he goes on to compare them with P. Pearse.

is there such a term as "ironic stupidity"? dear God, is there any point...

:D Read my post again, slowly this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

Why would,it be tit for tat it’s the same dole louts who have falling for some old tails. up

Because the first target was a British court hit by the new ira
    Was tonight’s target St. Marys a Catholic school hit by loyalists?
    Tit for tat ....was a genuine question ?
    I don’t know the school or if the people involved have been identified that’s why I asked.

M

Do the loyalists have anything waiting to respond with?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 746 ✭✭✭GinAndBitter

Do the loyalists have anything waiting to respond with?

I'm sure they had a few bits and bobs stashed away.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,218 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Loyalists wouldn't have the capability.

It's the same guys doing all these. The number of incidents isn't sustainable for them. They will soon come to an end.

But they did a handful of bombs and hijackings and the country is talking about them again.

That's what they want.

• Site Banned Posts: 4 eagnaee

Sureal wrote: »
    Am, do you know that it was loyalists who began the war that is referred to as the troubles?

It is shocking how few people are really into the fine detail and historical nuance.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭wingsof daun

It's all kicking off, didn't think there would be the numbers still around to do this. Jobs and prosperity normally knocks this sort of thing on the head.

Are you having a joke? What jobs and prosperity is in Derry? The city is a disaster and never seen any investment. Full of charity shops and boarded up building.

It's a complete kip the city centre.

M

NIMAN wrote: »
    Loyalists wouldn't have the capability.

It's the same guys doing all these. The number of incidents isn't sustainable for them. They will soon come to an end.

But they did a handful of bombs and hijackings and the country is talking about them again.

That's what they want.

In the past they had a lot of UK sourced guns, modern day online gives people all they need to source materials to do all sorts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67,394 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The mistake the uninformed continually make is to blame this on 'dole louts' and 'criminal elements'.
    The most recent conflict had support across all strata of society, it couldn't have happened without that.
    And why would 'criminals' draw heat on themselves doing something like this? That makes zero sense and is just a lazy reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Lackey wrote: »
    Because the first target was a British court hit by the new ira
    Was tonight’s target St. Marys a Catholic school hit by loyalists?
    Tit for tat ....was a genuine question ?
    I don’t know the school or if the people involved have been identified that’s why I asked.

It's not tit for tat and the school isn't the target. Causing disruption is the aim. The Northland Road, where the school is, is a busy thoroughfare.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,247 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Lol, if you don't laugh you'll cry at this stage.
    PSNI Foyle wrote:
    There are tons of rumours circulating on other FB pages. I don’t want to sound like #DonaldTrump but there is a lot of #FakeNews. I’m half expecting to read that the Zombie Apocalypse has just crested Sherrif’s Mount. We’ll keep you posted on real events #KeepingPeopleSafe

• Registered Users Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭circadian

Hatricks farm usually smells like the zombie apocalypse has crested Sheriffs Mountain, so there is that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Aegir wrote: »
    unfortunately for the people of the north, there are plenty of idiots in the south, tucked safely behind their keyboards, who are busy willing on and making excuses for a few impressionable young idiots who think it is great fun to set off car bombs.

there are plenty of people on here who are cho,ping at the bitfor the trouble to kick off again, because they can tenuously blame da Brits for it.

It's sad really, expecially when half of them weren't even a stirring in their fathers y fronts when some of the owrst of the violence was taking place.
    Where's Me Jumper? being one.

Nobody here excused or defended it - they discussed it.

I find people who refer to the conflict solely in terms of being provo derived (and no mention of loyalist or security forces violence) to be quite misinformed also.

Where's Me Jumper? being one.

Nobody here excused or defended it - they discussed it.

I find people who refer to the conflict solely in terms of being provo derived (and no mention of loyalist or security forces violence) to be quite misinformed also.

Yeah any time the troubles and the north comes up on here I've noticed a significant number of posters are ignorant, either wilfully or not, of the nuances and finer details of what they believe themselves to be experts on.

Luckily it doesn't seem.to translate often into real life for me in the south. Most people seem to have a fairly decent handle when talking to me about this stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 technics121O

BANG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Patww79 wrote: »
    There's no 'the south' or 'the north'. It's Ireland and Northern Ireland.

There's no such place as "Northern Ireland".

Derry is Ireland full stop, end of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

The people behind this...... Are all male, under the age of 25. Nothing going for themselves in terms of a career or third level qualification. Love Hate is thier favourite TV show. Latching on to brexit as an excuse to live thier dream lifestyle of setting off bombs and holding guns.

The exact same low life demographic in Dublin are joining the north inner city gangs because have nothing else to do with thier **** lives. Politics is not the motivating for these attacks but will be used as the excuse by this demographic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 746 ✭✭✭GinAndBitter

ittakestwo wrote: »
    The people behind this...... Are all male, under the age of 25. Nothing going for themselves in terms of a career or third level qualification. Love Hate is thier favourite TV show. Latching on to brexit as an excuse to live thier dream lifestyle of setting off bombs and holding guns.

The exact same low life demographic in Dublin are joining the north inner city gangs because have nothing else to do with thier **** lives. Politics is not the motivating for these attacks but will be used as the excuse by this demographic.

You haven't a clue what you are talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Risteard81 wrote: »
    There's no such place as "Northern Ireland".

Derry is Ireland full stop, end of story.

And yet passports say the United kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland :rolleyes:

And yet passports say the United kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland :rolleyes:

A construct that is falling apart in front of our eyes with the help of our own DUP. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,286 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

A construct that is falling apart in front of our eyes with the help of our own DUP. ;)

whether this is true or not it is nonsense to suggest that a place called Northern Ireland does not exist.

whether this is true or not it is nonsense to suggest that a place called Northern Ireland does not exist.

You are free to call it whatever you want imo. The truth is that it is a disputed construct, disputed at the time it was created and since. It is the 'partition' of the island of Ireland that is at the root of the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,286 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

You are free to call it whatever you want imo. The truth is that it is a disputed construct, disputed at the time it was created and since. It is the 'partition' of the island of Ireland that is at the root of the problem.

Ignoring reality again i see. You may not recognise it as a political entity but that does not mean it does not exist.

Ignoring reality again i see. You may not recognise it as a political entity but that does not mean it does not exist.

Did I say, it didn't exist as a political entity? hmmm...don't think so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Ever thought about a career in comedy Francie? You always make me laugh. London has NI at the forefront of it's thoughts these days. Switch on any broadcast that mentions Brexit and you'll see NI mentioned. The Union is doing fine, thank you very much. Brexit will get implemented. It'll be hard, as I said before. The Union will be fine and NI will sit back and watch the RoI struggle with the impact.

While the decent people in Northern Ireland, Unionists and the majority of Nationalists are busy being doing democratic stuff, I see that the dregs of NI (Irish republicans) are doing their best to drag that part of the United Kingdom back into the dark ages. Looks like they are going to fail, thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Berserker wrote: »
    Ever thought about a career in comedy Francie? You always make me laugh. London has NI at the forefront of it's thoughts these days. Switch on any broadcast that mentions Brexit and you'll see NI mentioned. The Union is doing fine, thank you very much. Brexit will get implemented. It'll be hard, as I said before. The Union will be fine and NI will sit back and watch the RoI struggle with the impact.

While the decent people in Northern Ireland, Unionists and the majority of Nationalists are busy being doing democratic stuff, I see that the dregs of NI (Irish republicans) are doing their best to drag that part of the United Kingdom back into the dark ages. Looks like they are going to fail, thankfully.

You are living in a fantasy land if you think the reason it's at the forefront of their thoughts for any other reason than using it as a political pawn.

"London", and indeed most of the ordinary citizens from Britain don't give a shiny steaming turd for the people in the north, it's literally their last concern.

If they crash out of the EU, it's people will be effectively dragged out against their wishes, including unionist people.

The Union is far from fine. The Scottish are going to start assessing their next move depending on how Brexit turns out. There is a very real possibility that they will have another referendum and it's more a case of when rather than if.

As for Ireland struggling, you're delusional there. I've been getting headhunted left, right and centre in Dublin with an influx of companies moving operations from London to here.

• Advertisement

Comedy?

The DUP, by dint of circumstance have managed to stop Westminster selling them out, not once, but twice in the Brexit process alone. They still have a primary objection to Westminster selling them out in the agreement they have yet to sign up to - the GFA.

Yup, northern Ireland is at the 'forefront' alright.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement