Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Go-Ahead Dublin City Routes - Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭CPTM

A lot of very cold people along the 17 route too. Realtime information on the TFI journey planner app completely wrong and unreliable. 4 ghost buses (no shows) before finally one arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

CPTM wrote: »
    A lot of very cold people along the 17 route too. Realtime information on the TFI journey planner app completely wrong and unreliable. 4 ghost buses (no shows) before finally one arrived.

Anyone know how real time works so? Does it track the bus?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭spoonerhead

Serious teething problems on the 17, waited for the 9:20 which never showed then finally got the 9:40 Rialto bus. By the time we got to Crumlin there was 2 buses at once, now 2 17s side by side in the other direction. Ghost buses the trend of the morning....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭markpb

Anyone know how real time works so? Does it track the bus?

In the time leading up to the buses departure from the starting point, it uses the timetable and historical journey times as the source of data. For example, if it normally takes 10 minutes to get from the start to your bus stop and the next bus is due to leave at 11:10, it'll show 11:20 as the estimated arrival time. Once the bus has left the starting point, it'll use the live location and historical data to estimate how long it will take the bus to get to your location.

Where this all falls down is that the bus may not be ready to take up duty at the starting location but, unless someone overrides it, the system won't know that the bus will be late and continue to show it having a normal departure time. This problem can only be fixed by proactive management by the two bus operators. They should know that the bus is running late or the driver didn't make it on time and they should be updating the data.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,176 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Doesn't look like a good start anyway for Go-Ahead based on the issues people are raising with their Twitter support team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Hurrache wrote: »
    Doesn't look like a good start anyway for Go-Ahead based on the issues people are raising with their Twitter support team.

Well all 114 só far have been cancelled. Complete joke

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Giblet wrote: »
    Well all 114 só far have been cancelled. Complete joke

Are you serious, none have ran..... Wow now that's shocking.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,611 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

CPTM wrote: »

That is hardly anything new though, the 17 on quiet days seemed to skip every second timetabled run for sh1ts and giggles. When I moved to Churchtown years ago, it took a week to realise that showing up half an hour early and waiting for 30 minutes after, I could still cover the hours walk on the route and quite possibly never see the 17 before I got to where I wanted to go.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

CramCycle wrote: »
    That is hardly anything new though, the 17 on quiet days seemed to skip every second timetabled run for sh1ts and giggles. When I moved to Churchtown years ago, it took a week to realise that showing up half an hour early and waiting for 30 minutes after, I could still cover the hours walk on the route and quite possibly never see the 17 before I got to where I wanted to go.

New drivers, new timetable, zero excuse. It leaves a truly awful impression on many who expected better service for Day 0 launch

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,611 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

New drivers, new timetable, zero excuse. It leaves a truly awful impression on many who expected better service for Day 0 launch

100%, there was no excuse for it before this either though. The 17 has been and now looks like it always will be a bus that drivers locals back to using cars as no one trusts it.

There are issues with pinch points but most of them seem to be improved over the past 15years along large sections of the route, I think DB just got so used to not running it that they forgot to start when it was more viable. Not sure GAI have any excuses, as you said, new operator, you'd expect best foot forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭ITV2

spotted a 17 with no destination displayed, no lights on and a small piece of paper with 17 stuck in the dash. The 220 arrived into DCU changed onto route 104 and drove off with no passengers ! Not a great start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭p_haugh

ITV2 wrote: »
    spotted a 17 with no destination displayed, no lights on and a small piece of paper with 17 stuck in the dash. The 220 arrived into DCU changed onto route 104 and drove off with no passengers ! Not a great start.

Well the 220 and 104 are run off the same board just like the 17 and 114 are, hence why it changed routes at DCU.

Even on Saturday, the day before Go-Ahead took over, one of the 17s just dropped off the timetable, leaving me to wait for the next one in 40 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Dublin Bus are having their own problems with the latest changeover. The 26 is still showing on Real Time as going to Palmerstown instead of Liffey Valley and the 66E is not showing up at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

Dublin Bus are having their own problems with the latest changeover. The 26 is still showing on Real Time as going to Palmerstown instead of Liffey Valley and the 66E is not showing up at all.

The 07:00 66 didn't show up at all and the 07:10 66x turned into a 26 half way through the journey for some reason.

All the real time information is still on the old timetables.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

They have had long enough and had sh1te loads of buses going around and taking up space off dB.

So if DB won tender the extra 125 buses on the road wouldn't be taking space off the rest the DB routes. Don't get me wrong though the NTA were stupid pushing the 75 and 175 through Dundrum Luas. They're buses are hardly taking space off DB if their carrying passengers meaning they are obviously useful to someone.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

The thing is it has happened time and time again for each batch introduced so far and it will happen again for the 18/76.

I don't know why they are so underprepared repeatedly. They're not learning from any of it. They've had long enough.

There have been teething problems on almost every route they've taken over so far so it's hardly a surprise. The issues with the DL routes seem to be more or less sorted now since they've revised the timetables. Maybe the routes they've already taken over might end up getting a revised timetable which will improve them. The running time on the 114 seems to be very tight for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Can't say I am surprised at all. New Drivers, sink or swim attitude been adopted by looks of things. It's what I expected. Exactly why I didn't apply and the low wage to boot. Can't imagine the drivers be best impressed either.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭zanardi

p_haugh wrote: »
    Well the 220 and 104 are run off the same board just like the 17 and 114 are, hence why it changed routes at DCU.

Ah, that makes sense. It's confusing though as we all went to the arriving 104 which never opened it's doors, while the 220 parked ahead of it changed to a 104 and drove off. We'll learn.

• Advertisement

dfx- wrote: »
    I don't know why they are so underprepared repeatedly. They're not learning from any of it. They've had long enough.

It appears DB are having similar issues today with the 26 and the 66/a/b/e/x today. Whenever there's changes to services there's generally some short term issues we've had it with Luas CC, Network Direct and 10 minute Darts.

Go-Ahead have struggled somewhat due to completely unrealistic running times set by the NTA the 75 at peak times being a prime example this appears to now be rectified. Nothing Go-Ahead could do about the fact some their drivers are inexpierenced only so much training can compensate for real life experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭spoonerhead

No 17 bus at 7:05 from Blackrock as per timetable, the headache from this today has made up my mind. Another car on the road from tomorrow....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Well I'm getting a taxi to work now a couple of days a week temporarily due to first 239 now being too late, and will just drop that work altogether once reasonable notice is served. Client not happy but no viable alternative. I did try to get the 239 on Sunday to try out the improved part of the service but the bus was broken down at the stop I went to. The driver seemed embarrassed. Not a good start on day 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭DUBLINBUSGUY

The 161's were also cancelled this evening. I boarded the 17:25 in Dundrum (12111) and just after the Merry Ploughboy Pub a car came flying down the other way with the high beams blinding us taking off the mirror. Called the control and a maintenance van was sent out from the Ballymount depot at around 18:15 (the time we were supposed to be leaving Rockbrook at) and came to us, stranded at the last stop up in Rockbrook. He replaced the mirror and we were ready to go by around 7. Bear in mind we were supposed to have left Dundrum at 18:55 on the last 161 up to Rockbrook before then going OOS to the depot. So, the buses were cancelled and the driver gave me a lift down to the main road, Taylors Lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Stephen15 wrote: »
    So if DB won tender the extra 125 buses on the road wouldn't be taking space off the rest the DB routes. Don't get me wrong though the NTA were stupid pushing the 75 and 175 through Dundrum Luas. They're buses are hardly taking space off DB if their carrying passengers meaning they are obviously useful to someone.

You have taken what I said completely wrong.

The routes are gone I get that, I get dB are getting extra buses.... I do know this I work there as you are well aware as I have never hidden the fact.

What I meant by taking space is at bus stops, roads taken over by the amount of them running together training etc.

They could well have had extra buses on stand by to get it up and running right this morning but they didn't do it seems they didn't learn from all the other routes they took over and couldn't run the service and left people hours out of not knowing where or when a bus would show.

You have taken what I said completely wrong.

The routes are gone I get that, I get dB are getting extra buses.... I do know this I work there as you are well aware as I have never hidden the fact.

What I meant by taking space is at bus stops, roads taken over by the amount of them running together training etc.

They could well have had extra buses on stand by to get it up and running right this morning but they didn't do it seems they didn't learn from all the other routes they took over and couldn't run the service and left people hours out of not knowing where or when a bus would show.

Well something I've heard trotted as to why DB services sometimes don't operate or lack capacity is that DB can't take out extra buses without NTA permission so it could be perhaps be that GAI can't operate extra buses without NTA permission also there have been problems with certain buses. The GTs that GAI got have been getting an overhaul and there's been problems lately with them I believe.

Also some of their buses are not yet fit for service and may not have been authorised until the next phase to enter service. They may have had extra buses but not extra drivers too. I think a lot of the blame is going to GAI that should actually be directed at the NTA.

Even if DB were won the tender they'd also have to recruit new drivers and send them out training etc. so it's not something unique to GAI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭CPTM

At least on the Dublin bus app, the realtime info was fairly accurate, so if no bus left the station, there wouldn't be one shown along the path of bus stops. You could go to your bus stop on the app, or the bus stops previous to yours, and follow the bus until it was a reasonable time to stroll down to the bus stop. Now we've to stroll to the bus stop and wait up to 45 minutes hoping the next one comes soon. 45 minutes is a long time on a wet miserable work morning!

No 17 bus at 7:05 from Blackrock as per timetable, the headache from this today has made up my mind. Another car on the road from tomorrow....

I was also waiting for that bus. I think it left 15 minutes early, as when I was getting off the DART from town at 6:50, I saw a 17 to Rialto leaving that stop :mad:

The 161's were also cancelled this evening. I boarded the 17:25 in Dundrum (12111) and just after the Merry Ploughboy Pub a car came flying down the other way with the high beams blinding us taking off the mirror. Called the control and a maintenance van was sent out from the Ballymount depot at around 18:15 (the time we were supposed to be leaving Rockbrook at) and came to us, stranded at the last stop up in Rockbrook. He replaced the mirror and we were ready to go by around 7. Bear in mind we were supposed to have left Dundrum at 18:55 on the last 161 up to Rockbrook before then going OOS to the depot. So, the buses were cancelled and the driver gave me a lift down to the main road, Taylors Lane.

Also a DB SG on the 84 had it's back window on the lower deck smashed outside Bray Station as it was hit by the wing mirror of a GAI Streetlite pulling away from the stop. I would say this is more due to the poor design of the Streetlites due the fact the passenger sides wing mirror protrudes more than most other buses.

The Streetlites seem to be problem buses alright. Very poorly designed by the sounds of things also the wheelchair bay is very cramped and the wheelchair ramp is very steep. The drivers cab looks very poorly designed and I've heard a few leap cards have needed up in the change vault. I might take a spin on one some day just to see what they're like I'm not one to usually do bus spins but I'm genuinely curious to see what these buses are like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Kh1993

dfx- wrote: »
    The thing is it has happened time and time again for each batch introduced so far and it will happen again for the 18/76.

And the problems will continue. Eventually people will get tired of complaining (as has happened with the 17a, disastrous start, still late, stuck in mythical traffic every day, buses stuck on the m50), but what will happen is some will claim it’s settled down and they’ve got the hang of it, when in fact, passengers are too tired from their countless delays to bother complaining. You complain and complain by social media channels or 15 day emails, but the excuses are the same time and time again that you just don’t waste the energy.

How can they keep getting it wrong every time there’s a handover. It’s beggars belief. Does anyone competent in planning work in GA or NTA?

Advertisement