Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Werewolf Post Game Feedback Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭andy125

Well designed and balanced game, enjoyed it thoroughly. Very close ending :D

Majority lynching worked perfect and the poisoning was a pain in the ass (thankfully i wasn't poisoned) but a nice mechanic

Great job guys

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Okay, a criticism, but not of the mods.

We'd three modkills this game. It would have been four only we had one sub. That's just too high. I know real life can get in the way and unexpected things can happen. But ... please don't sign up unless you're *really* prepared to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

In terms of feedback, COP was painful (as already stated).

It’s funny cause even though you could ask mods questions I didn’t think of it for when things like “can Legolas kill at 10am?”. I think it’s a good option to have with regards to mechanics, I like trying to work stuff out , but it’s nice to have the option. Don’t see a problem with anybody Using it but I suppose might be handy if any question asked and answered is posted maybe on a sub thread so there’s no ambiguity? Might be bit of work for mods so understand if it’s a non starter. It might reduce people arguing or haggling over these sort of things in game.

I felt the low post count Helped me keep up and get more immersed in the game. I’m terrible for Giffing and messing about at times but it was great being able to catch up so quickly most of the time....

Loved the poison and that Teagan kept getting the fake Poison.

I also liked that there was a nice amount of things happening but not too much. I know having loads of mechanics can be fun sometimes but I can find that sort of stuff can drive me down even more rabbit holes!

If I was to change one thing, it would be that I played 5 aside tonight and I’m really feeling it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Drumpot wrote: »
    In terms of feedback, COP was painful (as already stated).

It’s funny cause even though you could ask mods questions I didn’t think of it for when things like “can Legolas kill at 10am?”. I think it’s a good option to have with regards to mechanics, I like trying to work stuff out , but it’s nice to have the option. Don’t see a problem with anybody Using it but I suppose might be handy if any question asked and answered is posted maybe on a sub thread so there’s no ambiguity? Might be bit of work for mods so understand if it’s a non starter. It might reduce people arguing or haggling over these sort of things in game.

I felt the low post count Helped me keep up and get more immersed in the game. I’m terrible for Giffing and messing about at times but it was great being able to catch up so quickly most of the time....

Loved the poison and that Teagan kept getting the fake Poison.

I also liked that there was a nice amount of things happening but not too much. I know having loads of mechanics can be fun sometimes but I can find that sort of stuff can drive me down even more rabbit holes!

If I was to change one thing, it would be that I played 5 aside tonight and I’m really feeling it.

I know you did play in sopranos, caz i remember u being the snitch.
    This feature was trialed in sopranos, it was no more work for the mods, we just generalized the questions asked so no identity of the questioner would be given away and then answered the question in an answers thread. That way nobody got more clarification than anybody else, that is everybody got the same clarifications via the answers thread, even though the question was posed by only 1 person.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

sKeith wrote: »
    This feature was trialed in sopranos, it was no more work for the mods, we just generalized the questions asked so no identity of the questioner would be given away and then answered the question in an answers thread. That way nobody got more clarification than anybody else, that is everybody got the same clarifications via the answers thread, even though the question was posed by only 1 person.

I didn’t know that, I’m great at coming up with things already invented or tried! I might of even thought of it sub consciously from that game !!!

So you remember me as the snitch, suppose at least it’s not the rabbit holer!

• Advertisement

Drumpot wrote: »
    I didn’t know that, I’m great at coming up with things already invented or tried! I might of even thought of it sub consciously from that game !!!

So you remember me as the snitch, suppose at least it’s not the rabbit holer!

snitch / mole / fats i forget the characters name, but remember the role, the go between the fbi and the sopranos, who spent more time in the BRs that game than on thread, lol. yeah, i remember it fondly.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

snitch / mole / fats i forget the characters name, but remember the role, the go between the fbi and the sopranos, who spent more time in the BRs that game than on thread, lol. yeah, i remember it fondly.

This guy.

Sal 'Big Pussy' Bonpensiero.

Big_pussy_bonpensiero.jpg

It's funny that some people don't think to ask the mods on certain things, I suppose perhaps its habit more than anything. Fear of the dreaded 'shrug' (Kolido broke mine so I don't use it anymore :( ).

I enjoyed the pacing of this game actually. I think it was a lot easier for the players to follow and made for a good game to watch, or at least I hope it did.

*Note to future self and fellow players, please quote that paragraph back to Necro when he's on 50 posts within three hours of game start*

Just on QB's post above, I would tend to agree with her point. I'm not going to specifically go into to it based off the game as I've already contacted Pter and sully on it so I'll leave it with them rather than creating a hullabaloo :pac:

But it's tough to deal with in the middle of a game when you have live players and a lot of other things to handle. I'll also state I don't have any issue with a player who is having difficulty because of RL coming to me or a co mod and telling us there's a problem.
    If we get a heads up, we can generally resolve it with very little problem. I'd prefer that than no contact and not knowing if the player has just got bored, gotten too busy, unable to play on because of other stuff... etc. It's only fair on the game mods who put time and effort into running the game.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I really liked that mechanic in The Sopranos.

deconduo wrote: »
    You could, but it would probably be expensive

Hey Decon, I sent you a PM a couple of nights ago and just in case your inbox is wild and you didn't see it, I'm just letting you know on thread.

Have a read and let me know what you think, I'm not raising this baby on my own :D

duffman13 wrote: »
    Loved the game mods, nice and intricate without being over complex. It was a good balance, even the powers Frodo/Sam had were ones which had lots of potential and decisions to be made for the good guys.

As an evil and despite the excellent start the game was firmly in the balance at almost all points in time.

In terms of the long day 0, I found it difficult to get involved at that point but this is more me, I've only ever played on boards so used to starting with evil munch to try play around with. The poisoning/conversion mechanics were really enjoyable and lots of fun.

Outside of your control and already mentioned but COP was incredibly frustrating to use. If anyone thinks of a solution and it requires a few euros, I'm more than happy to contribute.

Cheers mods

Yeah despite the good work of Necro and other bot-killers recently, COP has overall been sliding down the hill these last 6 months or so (from my experience anyway.) Loading a page can take at least 20 seconds, refreshing the page you are already on takes even longer from my experience. I remember reporting similar numbers to Necro when we were building the Stephen King game last Summer.

If anyone knows of a better option, I too would happily throw in a few quid towards it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Before we go ahead with a new backroom, i think it would be worthwhile to chat to Max around what drain there was on his server during the last game.

Could be a one off, could be something that will be ongoing, could be something he isnt aware is impacting us.

Also could be our free ride has ended there (hopefully not).

Anyone with any kind of technical know how want to get in touch?

• Advertisement

I can bake a cake.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Pter wrote: »
    Before we go ahead with a new backroom, i think it would be worthwhile to chat to Max around what drain there was on his server during the last game.

Could be a one off, could be something that will be ongoing, could be something he isnt aware is impacting us.

Also could be our free ride has ended there (hopefully not).

Anyone with any kind of technical know how want to get in touch?

I mean I have know how of the site and how it works but in regards to technical issues in general I wouldn't say I'm best qualified.

Also I don't really know Max that well :cool:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

I am a techie, can probably help out with the troubleshooting as needed

Its Maximus Alexander, isnt it? Ill pop him a note anyways. See if there is a non-technie reason and if there isnt, sort something out with you Duo.

Its Maximus Alexander, isnt it? Ill pop him a note anyways. See if there is a non-technie reason and if there isnt, sort something out with you Duo.

That's the one, yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

quickbeam wrote: »
    Okay, a criticism, but not of the mods.

We'd three modkills this game. It would have been four only we had one sub. That's just too high. I know real life can get in the way and unexpected things can happen. But ... please don't sign up unless you're *really* prepared to play.

It's why I havent signed up for the February game and likely won't be signing up for the March one either. Life has just gotten really really busy.

I'm really sorry for having to sub out of the game. I thought i would have more time, but I just got slammed.

Hopefully be back playing from April onwards <3

Rikand wrote: »
    It's why I havent signed up for the February game and likely won't be signing up for the March one either. Life has just gotten really really busy.

I'm really sorry for having to sub out of the game. I thought i would have more time, but I just got slammed.

Hopefully be back playing from April onwards <3

:( I know the feeling.

Im a celebrity werewolf get me outta here!
    • I thought the no role thing was good.
    • I thought the camp leader thing was good.
    • I thought the timings we ended up going with were good.
    • I hope everyone liked the spread of prizes. if i was going again, id make the post count one more predictable so someone could actively try and win it (that being said i dont think the way we did it was unfair or detrimental to the game).
    • Delighted with our new players. Each one was a credit to the game. And each one played with their own style, which was great to see.
    • Delighted with our 2 mentors (3 really given the wolves were defacto mentors). I didnt really put parameters around how they could mentor, but i think even just the presence of a more experienced player helped the mentees settle in (well i hope). Fair play to Kolido and Digi for that.

One mod hiccup:

I got a message about the initial game PMs being a bit....funky. Now i only found out how bad they were after the game, but having initial game PMs with gibberish in them isn't great. I think it was an issue in copy pasting from COP and boards not recognising some of the formatting. Ill play around with how to avoid this - i think copying and pasting into wordpad should do the trick, but ill test it out to figure it out.

It could also be that i sent most of them out on Sunday morning and i think boards was having some maintenance done, so maybe it was that. Just in case, ill send out the PMs at a more friendly hour (closer to 1pm than 6am).

Another mod hiccup:

The same formatting error (i think) meant some people didnt get their voting codes. It all worked out in the end as i either had them to hand and PMd them on, or people were free to make one up and stick with it for the game (which they did). Just a note for future mods that the codewords dont really matter as long as a) people dont share them and b) whatever word people use they use the same one for the whole game.

Additional note:

QBs vote tally spreadsheet was invaluable again. Its a great tool so i encourage any future mods to get it and use it. Makes vote counting a lot less time consuming and straightforward.

Something that came up during the game:

Quoting from PMs and backrooms. If we have a ban on this, we have to ban people fake posting from PMs and backrooms too. I think it was G&R that did it and i had to snip it - thats no problem it was just a misunderstanding and no harm done - but important to note there either has to be a blanket ban on copy pasting from PMs/Backrooms or no ban at all.

Finally:

I do not stack games for the wolves :D

Formatting thing is COP related. Easily fixed. Instead of direct copy and paste, hit quick edit, copy and paste that version and bingo - no klingon like errors in PMs :D

One thing confused me about this game - why did more people not claim their characters as they were not indicative of alignment? I'd have been all over that like a rash :pac:

IIRC only Keith and Liz really played up their character names.

Thought the game went off well, went right down to the wire.

Not gone on the camp leader mechanic if I'm totally honest though. In a game, particularly with only NRVs the primary tangible data people have to work out info is lynch votes. No harm in trialling it though, I think it might have worked better in a role heavy game if I'm totally honest as opposed to where prizes are handed out. Too much of an element of luck in it for me as opposed to skill.

Other than that it went off fine, was interesting to read from the backroom when I had the time.

I was really impressed with how all four of the newbies got stuck in! Kudos and I hope they'll be back.

Just one more thing from the backrooms and I have to pull you up on this Pter:
    You aren't supposed to be able to figure out the game via wording analysis

Very confused about this - how else do we work out a game on an online forum :pac:

I'm presuming what you meant was you aren't meant to work out the game purely based off the OP - but the phrasing is wrong when basically everything to do with the game is based on wording analysis :P

• Advertisement

Necro wrote: »
    Formatting thing is COP related. Easily fixed. Instead of direct copy and paste, hit quick edit, copy and paste that version and bingo - no klingon like errors in PMs :D

taS QaQ

I'm presuming what you meant was you aren't meant to work out the game purely based off the OP - but the phrasing is wrong when basically everything to do with the game is based on wording analysis :P

Correct in the context of the conversation i was having with Dec and Lord; we were talking about OP wording analysis.

On the fake quotes from PMs/Backrooms - I'd agree, it's already in the rules you can't do it so that includes fake posts as well.

Though in fairness that's self resolving - if someone posts a fake quote from a backroom and they aren't modkilled they should be auto-lynched/shot as people will know they're lying (as to do so really would be punishable).

Correct in the context of the conversation i was having with Dec and Lord; we were talking about OP wording analysis.

Ehh, no. The mods later posted a clarification that removed the ambiguity completely, where if it was there, in the first place, then people wouldn't have been thinking two teams, where the origional left that door open.

If that clarification was not later made\given, then that post is fine, but as it was changed later, that post portrays the players as fools for not seeing the intention in the words used to portray the intention, when it was actually the words that were lacking.

On the fake quotes from PMs/Backrooms - I'd agree, it's already in the rules you can't do it so that includes fake posts as well.

Though in fairness that's self resolving - if someone posts a fake quote from a backroom and they aren't modkilled they should be auto-lynched/shot as people will know they're lying (as to do so really would be punishable).

I hate using modkills as a discipline mechanic for something like this, hence the blanket ban.
    Ehh, no. The mods later posted a clarification that removed the ambiguity completely, where if it was there, in the first place, then people wouldn't have been thinking two teams, where the origional left that door open.

If that clarification was not later, that post is fine, but as it was changed later, that post portrays the players as fools for not seeing the intention in the words used to portray the intention, when it was actually the words were lacking.

Thats fair enough. When it became apparent it could affect the endgame and disrupt the game we clarified the rules - but as i said, in the context of the discussion we were having, which is what Necro was quoting, I dont think OP (not rules) wording analysis is the be all and end all. If there is ambiguity in the flavour and OP and it doesnt cause game breaky conflicts, thats fine by me. Its very hard to create an OP and flavour that cant be interpretted mutliple ways.

What im trying to say is that someone should be figuring out the game from whats happening on the whole thread. The OP isnt there as a puzzle for players to figure out everything from it alone.

I hate using modkills as a discipline mechanic for something like this, hence the blanket ban.

I'm of the opinion a quote from the backroom/PM should be an auto modkill, it's a primary rule of the game. Might seem harsh but the rules are there for a reason.

Decision is if you want to include fake quotes as part of that, I'd have no issue doing so as I think it's angle shooting anyways. Same with the edit rule in most cases (the one in the game though was dealt with correctly imo).

Thats fair enough. When it became apparent it could affect the endgame and disrupt the game we clarified the rules - but as i said, in the context of the discussion we were having, which is what Necro was quoting, I dont think OP (not rules) wording analysis is the be all and end all. If there is ambiguity in the flavour and OP and it doesnt cause game breaky conflicts, thats fine by me. Its very hard to create an OP and flavour that cant be interpretted mutliple ways.

What im trying to say is that someone should be figuring out the game from whats happening on the whole thread. The OP isnt there as a puzzle for players to figure out everything from it alone.

I'm sorry, you are correct, that was not what you were discussing, I was being a bit emotional remembering the full content off the two posts in question. I'll try to keep myself in check better.

I'm sorry, you are correct, that was not what you were discussing, I was being a bit emotional remembering the full content off the two posts in question. I'll try to keep myself in check better.

Im not sure i follow the bolded bit.....? Which two posts?

Your feedback and thoughts are always welcome sKeith; i know you and i have some great 'heated discussions :)' sometimes but doesnt mean i dont value your input as one player/game mod to another.

Im not sure i follow the bolded bit.....? Which two posts?

Your feedback and thoughts are always welcome sKeith; i know you and i have some great 'heated discussions :)' sometimes but doesnt mean i dont value your input as one player/game mod to another.

First off, what the hell was I doing posting before 10am, that's always trouble. The posts where one mod say that they're not sure where the players are getting multiple teams from, and how they understand that words might not have being top notch, and the other comes back and says that there is no harm in ambiguity and that the players "aren't supposed to be able to figure out the game via wording analysis" so their taking the wrong meaning from the words is their own fault.
    As I said, later on, they cleared up the ambiguity mentioned, so clearly the ambiguity was harmful after all, and the fact players were walking the wrong path was because of this ambiguity which that one mod blamed the players for, not the words.

• Advertisement

Ok yeah that was me blaming the players. I was wrong i think!

Advertisement