Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** Vehicle Hire queries **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Duffryman wrote: »
    Well, that's great. :eek:

We're off on a family holiday to Lanzarote during the mid-term break in February. We've rented a car through rentalcars.com (which somebody above recommended), but now that I check the booking, I see that the car itself will be from Goldcar.

So, why not use them? Anybody else feel the same way, or is this just based on person's bad experience here?

Had terrible experience with them so I would never touch them again.

They also seem to be the company that is mentioned most on these forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,394 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

What do you not understand about my post?

It's not a case of not understanding your post, I'm asking you fill in the blanks.

Did you understand the question I asked? Let me try again .... how do you cover the excess when renting with a debit card? Does the rental company insist that you take their insurance because you're using a debit card? Or, if they allow you to decline their insurance, do they then debit the full excess amount from your card and refund the money when you return the car undamaged or how does it work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

When I use a debit card, there is the option to decline the insurance but suffer a massive hold on funds.

I just take the insurance. Can't be bothered with fapping around with ancillary policies and having my holiday money frozen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Has anyone used a VPN while booking a car rental? Looking to rent for 10 days in July in Italy. Price when browsing normally is roughly 600 euro but when I activate VPN and set my location to USA, I get a price of about 350 euro. Now googling this seems to say it is a common money saving tip, but I am wondering what the catch is if there is one.
    All insurance, fees, cancellation policy look the same. I cannot see anything different on the terms other than the price. This seems too good to be true. Anyone done this before? Rental was with Europcar by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Ludo wrote: »
    Has anyone used a VPN while booking a car rental? Looking to rent for 10 days in July in Italy. Price when browsing normally is roughly 600 euro but when I activate VPN and set my location to USA, I get a price of about 350 euro. Now googling this seems to say it is a common money saving tip, but I am wondering what the catch is if there is one.
    All insurance, fees, cancellation policy look the same. I cannot see anything different on the terms other than the price. This seems too good to be true. Anyone done this before? Rental was with Europcar by the way.

Booking via the US Site generally doesn't include CDW.

I would be very wary of it, US Sites will let you book on the basis that you have a North American Credit card that will cover what is legally required.

Also price is generally about Half via the US Site.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

redcup342 wrote: »
    Booking via the US Site generally doesn't include CDW.

I would be very wary of it, US Sites will let you book on the basis that you have a North American Credit card that will cover what is legally required.

Also price is generally about Half via the US Site.

I read that about CDW online also but on the EuropCar site it is listed as provided in both American and Irish sites.

redcup342 wrote: »
    .... US Sites will let you book on the basis that you have a North American Credit card that will cover what is legally required.

It's not that a US credit card covers the insurance, it's that having a US credit card means that you probably own a car and have a US car insurance policy which includes third party cover when you rent a car, something that is not included with Irish policies.
    I read that about CDW online also but on the EuropCar site it is listed as provided in both American and Irish sites.

CDW is essentially fully comp. but with a large excess (you pay the first €x00), it's typically included with car hire from most companies in Europe. What they try to get you to buy at the rental desk is cover for the excess, that's where they get a big slice of commission. Some companies will quote rock bottom prices which exclude CDW, that's when you get the shock treatment when you show up at their desk in the airport.

If you use a US site they may well ask you to prove you are a US resident.

If you use a US site they may well ask you to prove you are a US resident.

Airlines and car hire companies usually go by the credit card number, the first six digits tells them which bank issued the card and as far as they are concerned, that indicates where you live.

• Advertisement

That would certainly not be true in my case. None of my payment cards are from the country I live in.

I have seen such warnings on websites before. "This rate is only available to legal US residents" and similar wording.

That would certainly not be true in my case. None of my payment cards are from the country I live in.

I have seen such warnings on websites before. "This rate is only available to legal US residents" and similar wording.

But you said in post #88 that you use a debit card and accept the insurance that is offered by the rental company to avoid having the excess money locked down or debited from your card.

In which case you are their dream customer and where you live is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

American car insurance will sometimes cover your car rental insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭feedthegoat

Will be using a rental car with two kids this summer, we will be doing beach visits and consequently there will be sand . Will there be any issues when we return the car, will not have access to a good hoover!

coylemj wrote: »
    It's not that a US credit card covers the insurance, it's that having a US credit card means that you probably own a car and have a US car insurance policy which includes third party cover when you rent a car, something that is not included with Irish policies.

Nope, it generally covers Collision, Theft and Towing (Fine Print Actually covers more depending on your card)

https://www.capitalone.com/learn-grow/money-management/credit-cards-rental-car-insurance
    CDW is essentially fully comp. but with a large excess (you pay the first €x00), it's typically included with car hire from most companies in Europe. What they try to get you to buy at the rental desk is cover for the excess, that's where they get a big slice of commission. Some companies will quote rock bottom prices which exclude CDW, that's when you get the shock treatment when you show up at their desk in the airport.

It depends on the company (and it can even depend on which Brand of the company you book via in certain countries) , some of them for example don't cover personal injury or damage to certain parts of the car (e.g. Undercarriage, tyres, windscreen)

Some will have the exception (especially in Germany) "per damage" so if you have an excess of say 1000 euros, that excess applies per incident. If you caused a few seperate (4) incidents you would have to pay the first 1000 euros per incident. (so max 4000 euros)

If you rented from Sixt in Germany you would have noticed them emphasizing over and over again "per damage" and probably thought it was some sort of poor translation.
    Airlines and car hire companies usually go by the credit card number, the first six digits tells them which bank issued the card and as far as they are concerned, that indicates where you live.

They can do but if you go via a broker they generally don't, it's actually happened to me at Cork Airport using an Irish Credit card, turned up, no insurance, Insurance was more than the cost of the Rental, booked via the Kayak APP, everything was in Euros in the APP but I had somehow chosen a US provider.

These days I have an Excess policy and a Germany Liability Insurance to cover the rest (damage to others up to 30 million euros, definitely needed in many US States)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dohouch

Will be using a rental car with two kids this summer, we will be doing beach visits and consequently there will be sand . Will there be any issues when we return the car, will not have access to a good hoover!

IN Spain, where I do most of my renting, it's very common for filling stations to have vacuum cleaners, €1 for maybe 5 minutes.

Careful, interior damage is often not included in insurance policies, no ICE Cream stains on the seats, please.

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Sorry if posted already but this article shows how car rental companies in Ireland like to charge oot for damages upon return.
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/revealed-how-car-rental-companies-are-charging-customers-for-preexisting-damage-and-not-actually-repairing-vehicles-37691502.html

Lesson: take pictures of any tiny scratch or the tiniest damage to anything on the car and notify them BEFORE you drive away when you pick it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

any recommendations?

going in May for 10 days
    We've been there about 6/7 yrs ago and think we used Europcar but just wondering of any other options out there

Just need something focus/astra size

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Sarah1916

Thanks so much to everyone for your input.

I am a bit confused. When I go to purchase car rental I am given the option of choosing 'full insurance' for approximately €8 a day. Am I right in thinking I do not need this if I am purchasing car hire excess myself from carhireexcess.com?

Sarah1916 wrote: »

I am a bit confused. When I go to purchase car rental I am given the option of choosing 'full insurance' for approximately €8 a day. Am I right in thinking I do not need this if I am purchasing car hire excess myself from carhireexcess.com?

Yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Sarah1916

Thanks!

Sarah1916 wrote: »

Be careful. The basic insurance may not cover you for damage to windows, tyres, keys or the undercarriage of the car. Whether you have excess insurance or not won't then protect you.

Be careful. The basic insurance may not cover you for damage to windows, tyres, keys or the undercarriage of the car. Whether you have excess insurance or not won't then protect you.

That's almost exactly what Excess Insurance covers ::pac:

https://www.carhireexcess.com/ie
    Cover Includes
    Zero Excess
    Cover up to €7,500
    Fire, Theft & Vandalism
    Tyres & Windscreen
    Keys & Undercarriage
    Personal Possessions Cover
    Drivers from 21 to 84 yrs *
    Collision Damage Waiver **
    Optional Supplemental Liability **

OP is talking about optional excess cover with autoeurope or whoever, if you have your own you don't need it.

Poster in post #55 paid €147 for the additional insurance for a 14 day rental and it did not include tyres or windscreen.

An annual AIG excess policy which costs €50 does include tyres and windscreen.

Not alone are you taking a bigger risk (no cover for tyres or windscreen) by buying the rental company's insurance, you are also being royally screwed on the premium - for an inferior product.

I never realised those extras were included, thought it was just the excess. Good to know.
    I guess the only downside is having a big charge on your credit card and having to take photos/videos of the car which is a pain.

I guess the only downside is having a big charge on your credit card .....

All they do is ring-fence part of your credit limit, it does not appear as a transaction on your bill. The same thing happens every time you check in to a hotel.

If it causes you a problem, ask the credit card company to increase your limit. Since the financial crash, they are not allowed to increase your limit unless you ask them to.
    ...and having to take photos/videos of the car which is a pain.

I'd be doing that either way.

I'd be doing that either way.

I don't need to do it when I have the full cover with the car rental company. The last time I was able to park the car at 5am, leave its key in it and walk off. No checking or anything.

I don't need to do it when I have the full cover with the car rental company. The last time I was able to park the car at 5am, leave its key in it and walk off. No checking or anything.

I never do that, still get them to sign off that I have delivered the car even if it's full insurance (I'll do that for a Work Rental for example)

A. To check it's full (Happened to me once where they charged for Fuel afterwards, had to send them the receipt to prove I had filled it before drop off, the fuel was CRAZY expensive, like 2.22 a liter or around that)

B. To ensure it's agreed the car is clean, you don't want to get some bizarre 200 euro cleaning charge because of some sand on the floor or something.

C. Everything in the Inventory is there (Spare wheel, Jack, Emergency Kit etc) Insurance doesn't cover something you've supposedly taken or something that's missing.

D. To Make sure the drop off time is recorded, happened to me in Munich I dropped off the car and the guy didn't process the car until after my drop off time and I got charged half a days rental (took an email to solve but still, could have been sorted by getting a guy out to sign off on it)

I still take a few pics when dropping off, saves any "misunderstandings" afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭leex

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    any recommendations?

going in May for 10 days
    We've been there about 6/7 yrs ago and think we used Europcar but just wondering of any other options out there

thanks

Check out Drive4Fun. Used them in 2017. No issues. Many recommendations on here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    any recommendations?

going in May for 10 days

thanks

I've been using Zitauto for years. Never a problem, and they don't get too excited about the odd scratch.

Advertisement