Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** Vehicle Hire queries **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

That doesn't make sense. Even if you are the most noble person and actually fill up the car after you parked it at rental car returns (which of course is an over the top, made up scenario), the next time you rent you will still end up with a car that is only "full to the top of the fuel gauge" and not "full to the brim".

Do you really think 50k is close to a drop off area? Who picks up the difference? Yes the previous person may have in fact done the same, or god forbid, even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I always get the full insurance with the car rental. It is more expensive than buying excess insurance but you have complete peace of mind.
    I always ask whether everything is included (tyres, windows and undercarriage are often excluded).

The last time I rented I just used my phone and google maps as a satnav - the data used is small. I find satnavs useless for finding places like restaurants, beaches, etc and they are a pain to type into. If you have to use them, type all your upcoming destinations into it so they are stored in the history. It saves a row on the road!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,458 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I always get the full insurance with the car rental. It is more expensive than buying excess insurance but you have complete peace of mind.
    I always ask whether everything is included (tyres, windows and undercarriage are often excluded).

The last time I rented I just used my phone and google maps as a satnav - the data used is small. I find satnavs useless for finding places like restaurants, beaches, etc and they are a pain to type into. If you have to use them, type all your upcoming destinations into it so they are stored in the history. It saves a row on the road!
    Annual insurance is 50 Quid a year, far cheaper than car hire companies who charge 17 euro a day.

Outside Europe data is 5 euro a mb or higher. Seriously avoid google maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭banana_bear

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Do you really think 50k is close to a drop off area? Who picks up the difference? Yes the previous person may have in fact done the same, or god forbid, even worse.

Jesus you make it sound like I'm murdering a child. You (and I) are not guaranteed to receive a full to the brim car when you pick it up from the rental agency. You get it as full as the last person returned it, unless the rental had to top it up themselves, which is a rare case.

You receive a car that looks full. So feel free to return a car that looks full. That is literally ALL I am saying. I am not advising trying to find out how far away from the airport you can fill up to save 2€ and return the car in a state so the fuel gauge starts dropping the minute the next person drives a minute. But I will fill up the car at my convenience, that can be 5km before the airport (for example if I know the place and I know there is a petrol station on my way 5km before the airport), and it can be 50km before the airport.

Again, one last time: I receive a car that is "full to the maximum of the fuel gauge" and I return a car that is "full to the maximum of the fuel gauge". It doesn't come any more fair than that. If you choose to return a car that is so full it will leak petrol when parked at an angle and then feel like the world is unfair to you, then maybe, just maybe, you are the one that made it unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nophd08

Wanderer78 wrote: »

Yeah, God forbid indeed, previous person could even have filled up 55km out.... Then we have a situation....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Edit: Regarding "Full to full" fuel policy: "Full" means that the fuel gauge is at maximum level. They're not going to take a closer look than that. Usually you can drive a good bit before the fuel gauge starts to drop, so if you fill up to the brim 50km before dropping the car off, you should be good.

Yep, when I rent in from Madrid airport I brim the car at a garage about 30 km away from the airport and driving back to the airport on that, it's still north of the "F" mark by the time I drop it back. There used to be a garage near T1 but it got moved (and the road layout became labyrinthine) so I'd rather just turn up at the airport and hand back the keys, rather than having traipse around when I'd rather spend the time checking in etc.

I would agree with the other tips given; check that any scratches on the car are already marked on the rental docket, photo or even better video the car. Get any fresh ones added to the diagram marking existing damage. If it's late when picking it up, double check it (can be hard to see a dent or scratch). One time some gobsh1te managed to scratch my car with his case as he was squeezing between two cars before I'd pulled away, so I made sure this was added before I left.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

nophd08 wrote: »
    Yeah, God forbid indeed, previous person could even have filled up 55km out.... Then we have a situation....

if they filled 55.000000001k out, i think id flip

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

ted1 wrote: »
    Google maps offline is very poor and limits to something like 50 km^2 , use Here and download the full country.

it's definitely not poor. It can automatically update when you are in WIFI too which is great to check on traffic / closed roads etc for new trips. Also, considering it downloads areas the size of ireland in one go, and you can do more than one download, I wouldn't say it's limited.

It's definitely much better than the maps that come on a car's Sat Nav and it's handy to use - especially for those who already have it downloaded and use it on a day to day basis.

I'm not saying the Here app is worse than it, just saying that no one in this day and age should be paying for maps (either through massive data charges outside the EU or for the download itself) or sat navs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭rob w

I have a good bit experience with car rental across many countries with a range of different companies.

Annual car hire excess is a must for me (AXA), as people have already said its much cheaper than the insurance offered by the rental companies. Though I find the rental companies will often try to discredit the excess policy and tell you that their offering is much better. If you have excess insurance bought, don’t give in to this nonsense and take theirs too (I know someone who did this recently, paying for insurance twice!!). Just make sure you read the excess policy in detail and fully understand what you are covered for and how to make a claim if necessary. In the event something happens and you are making a claim you will need to supply certain documents to the insurer – make sure you get these from the rental company before leaving as it may be difficult otherwise. I have made one claim in the past and it was painless and paid out very quickly, made it well worthwhile.

I have used ‘reputable’ companies and not so ‘reputable’ companies in the past and have some good and some bad experiences with both – the worst ever with a so called ‘reputable’ company, Hertz. Use your own judgement and play by the rules in your rental agreement and you should be fine. Most people you see complaining about rental companies online were most likely unaware of the terms of the rental agreement they signed into.

Full to full fuel policies and unlimited mileage would always be what I look for. Know where you r nearest petrol station is to the drop off point.

Ensure credit card has sufficient funds/limit to cover blocked amount. FYI, If you have separate excess insurance and don’t take the rental companies insurance the rental company will probably block the maximum amount out on your card. Don’t let it phase you it will be unblocked once the car is returned undamaged. If not they will take a portion and you will claim back – leaving you out of pocket for only a short period (but still better off due to the price of the excess policy vs the rental company insurance).

The last point is that Italians are crazy drivers (I’m aware this is a bit of a generalisation) and it’s not the best place for faint hearted drivers. Watch out for lots of crazy overtaking, speeding , meeting cars coming towards you on the wrong side from time to time. Roundabouts are mayhem. Just drive how you drive and take care of your own interests, don’t let other drivers get to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Go with a known company. I've used Alamo/Dollar/Thrifty/Hertz/Enterprise before and have had no problems.

Some local companies in Italy who come across as cheap have a terrible reputation for adding costs after the rental is over.
    AVIS, Hertz, Europcar have alright reputation.
    When collecting your car- do a walk around check of outside and inside before you leave. Any issues tell the agent.

Take photos and even videos. It is now easy with phone.
    Never ever leave the car park without getting signoff on any scrapes or dents.
    Yes it may take time and may make staff grumpy, but shag them you don't want to be hit with cost of the damage.
    Better still look for another car as less hassel.

Also when traveling in Italy, found this especially in Tuscany anyway, watch out for local only areas in cities, towns and even villages.
    There are ZTL signs up so keep an eye out.

The likes of the centre of Florence is one big one.

You drive into one of those and you get hit with at least an €80 fine, then rental company adds another €80 odd for providing police with your details.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

abarkie wrote: »

Don't use Goldcar

Well, that's great. :eek:

We're off on a family holiday to Lanzarote during the mid-term break in February. We've rented a car through rentalcars.com (which somebody above recommended), but now that I check the booking, I see that the car itself will be from Goldcar.

So, why not use them? Anybody else feel the same way, or is this just based on person's bad experience here?

Never mind. Just read some online reviews and horror tales myself. Have already cancelled that booking and am getting a full refund.

So, before I take the plunge in booking with somebody else - can anybody recommend a company to deal with specifically in Lanzarote? I've only very limited experience in renting a car before. I'd have thought they were all 'much the same', but maybe that's a bad thing as much as a good thing......?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Duffryman wrote:
    So, why not use them? Anybody else feel the same way, or is this just based on person's bad experience here?

I've rented multiple times when away, have used Goldcar a few times never an issue. I always take before and after pics of car in the presence of the agent and do a walk around with them. I always take the full to full option. I have excess insurance which I renew ever year at roughly 35 euro. Worth the piece of mind. Just to add, the larger companies have their horror stories too...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

I rented in Sicily last year with Hertz. It went fine.

1. If you have a SatNav at home, take it with you. Italian drivers are unforgiving.

2. For peace of mind, take out the Super Excess insurance with your airline or a cheap online offering.

3. Inspect the car closely. Photos and videos. Point out the damage to the rental company.

4. Return completely full. Buy at a petrol station very close to the rental office.

I bought petrol 15km from the rental office. To the naked eye, the gauge was full. The employee sat in and checked. She noticed it was 15km short (Distance to Empty).

I drove and bought €2 of petrol!!

5. Know where the headlights are... or keep them running always. On a bright sunny day, I had no lights on. Came to a long, dark tunnel.... and was grasping for the headlights. Very hairy moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Bring a couple of litres of bottled water with you and pour over the car just before you give it back.

This can cover up any minor scrapes.....

I accidentally drove down a tiny lane in Italy and the car was left with marks on both sides - not through the paint but enough to leave marks.

I poured water over them and the rest of the car just before I gave it back which covered the marks until it dried (I presume, I was gone at that stage).

Paying for Express:
    When I was in Itlay last time, people were going to the front of the queue as they had paid for express pick up.... I'd never seen it before but I'd pay for it now. Each time one of them went to the front of the queue, we were delayed another 10 minutes or so.

Also, make sure to get clear instructions of drop off points at airport if you are arriving back at a time when the office is closed. There's usually a key drop but if you don't know where it is, you can be bunched. Again, happened to me in Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭NSAman

OP, as you are heading to Italy, I am not going to give you advice on rental.,,, others are doing that nicely.

If you are heading into the historic districts be VERY VERY careful

I received two 500 euro fines for driving in the “zona hostorica” one going to my hotel (they never registered the car) and the second by making a wrong turning.

If you are staying in a historic area hotel keep all receipts.

If you turn incorrectly, pay up..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

And in Italy, watch where you park.... there are lots of resident only areas.

I think handicapped spaces borders are painted blue as well.

If you're going through tolls make sure to press the button to get your ticket rather than just driving through the gateless toll booth.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,394 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

PMan wrote: »
    Returning full - keep the receipt from the petrol station just in case you need it when returning the car or down the line

A fuel receipt simply says that you bought nn litres of fuel, it cannot be used to prove that the tank was full.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭josip

Watch out at Italian petrol stations.
    The three times I've had minor issues abroad at petrol stations have all been in Italy.
    • The attendant tried to charge me more inside than was showing on the pump. "Ah, mia scuzi..."
    • At some unmanned pumps, the amount shown on the pump is not a pre-authorisation limit, but the amount you wish to purchase. If you buy less than that amount, you'll get charged the full amount and a voucher printed for that station for your "change"
    • At some unmanned pumps, the authorization terminal is shared between multiple pumps. I once had a dumb/scammer local who jumped in and pressed his pump number after I'd inserted my credit card, and when I tried to remonstrate, "Non capisco, non capisco".
    TLDR, Italy is great for eating, less so for driving.

When you're driving out of the airport, ask your front seat passenger to make a note of the first few filling stations on their side of the road and identify the one with the lowest price. That filling station will be on the driver's side when you're bringing the car back and that's where you should topup the tank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

faceman wrote: »
    A number of insurance companies offer car excess insurance for a fee. It's highly recommended and always get cheaper than the excess charge offered by rental companies.

Just one thing on this, if you get excess insurance from a 3rd party company the rental company, may and usually do, charge a deposit which can be quite hefty, my last two times with two different rental companies, a hold for over €1,000 was placed on my card until I returned the car. If there had of been any damage this amount would have been charged and you would have to claim that money back from the 3rd party insurer.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Edit: Regarding "Full to full" fuel policy: "Full" means that the fuel gauge is at maximum level. They're not going to take a closer look than that. Usually you can drive a good bit before the fuel gauge starts to drop, so if you fill up to the brim 50km before dropping the car off, you should be good.

Some rental companies ask to see a receipt for the fuel, moreso in the US

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭firemansam4

cloneslad wrote:
    it's definitely not poor. It can automatically update when you are in WIFI too which is great to check on traffic / closed roads etc for new trips. Also, considering it downloads areas the size of ireland in one go, and you can do more than one download, I wouldn't say it's limited.

I used it when I went to Iceland and was able to combine it with all my pins of locations I wanted to visit.

I was able to download the whole area In Southern Iceland I wanted to see. It done the job for me perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭rob w

Just one thing on this, if you get excess insurance from a 3rd party company the rental company, may and usually do, charge a deposit which can be quite hefty, my last two times with two different rental companies, a hold for over €1,000 was placed on my card until I returned the car. If there had of been any damage this amount would have been charged and you would have to claim that money back from the 3rd party insurer.

I have always been told that this was the case, that the full amount of the hold would be taken in the event of any damage. However, the one time I did damage a car (hold was over €2k for this particular rental) they assessed the damage upon return and I was only charged €240 (dent/scratch in bumper), which I then claimed back via my own insurer.

This was with Goldcar who generally have a bad rep - I found them very relaxed when sorting this out.

Also, their rep had told me upon pickup that any damage or scratch would result in the full amount of the hold being taken - this turned out to be untrue and was only to try and convince me to pay for their insurance.

I guess it would vary from place to place though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,963 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Duffryman wrote: »
    Never mind. Just read some online reviews and horror tales myself. Have already cancelled that booking and am getting a full refund.

So, before I take the plunge in booking with somebody else - can anybody recommend a company to deal with specifically in Lanzarote? I've only very limited experience in renting a car before. I'd have thought they were all 'much the same', but maybe that's a bad thing as much as a good thing......?

I've rented a few times with Goldcar, Greenmotion and some of the other "dodgy" rental companies and never had any issues. Once you check for damage before and after and return with the same amount of fuel you will be fine. As said before most people with complaints have not understood their requirements when renting.

One other thing is that even the big brands are only franchises in a lot of countries so they aren't any better than the smaller ones. There is as many complaints about the big boys as the "cowboys" if you Google them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

One tip I got here on Boards was to use Autoreisen in the Canaries, I found them very decent.

That happens when you decline their insurance, whether you have excess insurance of your own or not. If you have a decent amount of headroom (unused credit) on your credit card, you won't notice anything.

Hotels do the same thing when you check-in, they swipe your credit card and ringfence a slice of your credit limit - it's an insurance policy for them in case you go mad spending in the local shops, bars and restaurants and there isn't enough credit on your card to pay the hotel bill when you're checking out.

It's a different story if you're renting a car and using a debit card. In that case they will actually withdraw the money from your account and hold it hostage in case you need to cover some damage. Catches out some people and often leaves them with no spending money for their holiday because their current account is now drained and they have no credit card!

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    One tip I got here on Boards was to use Autoreisen in the Canaries, I found them very decent.

Have actually landed on Autoreisen myself as an alternative to Goldcar when in the Canaries. Reviews on Trustpilot and the like are wholly positive, unlike with many other car rental companies (even some of the 'big boys' like Hertz). Anyway, I've made my bed now for the second time, and I'll lie in this one....

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

Duffryman wrote: »

How much were you paying for the week? I do always rent with Avis while in Lanzarote,was there for 2 weeks before Christmas.

Total cost was €283

2 weeks standard rental was €136,excess €1200.

CDW (collision damage waiver) €147 (€10.50/day). Excess reduced to €0,not including tyres or windscreen.

Petrol is very cheap.

• Advertisement

CDW (collision damage waiver) €147 (€10.50/day). Excess reduced to €0,not including tyres or windscreen.

An annual excess policy for car rental in Europe from the likes of AIG costs €50 which means that 5 days of the cover you bought at the rental desk cost as much as 365 days of a policy you can buy yourself before you travel.

Advertisement