Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** Vehicle Hire queries **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Sheedy234

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    any recommendations?

going in May for 10 days
    We've been there about 6/7 yrs ago and think we used Europcar but just wondering of any other options out there

Just need something focus/astra size

thanks

I have used (rentauto )through zest car broker the last 2 years and I couldn't fault them .quick and easy pick up and they don't take any deposit at all as I just paid a little bit extra for no excess.extra driver is free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

leex wrote: »
    Check out Drive4Fun. Used them in 2017. No issues. Many recommendations on here.

Used them myself. Very good to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

Gravelly wrote: »
    I've been using Zitauto for years. Never a problem, and they don't get too excited about the odd scratch.

Same here

Get a Christmas card every year from them

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭return guide

leex wrote: »
    Check out Drive4Fun. Used them in 2017. No issues. Many recommendations on here.

plus 1 on these, pretty painless got hit for extra tolls (€9) about a month later but in hindsight we had a lot of drops/pick ups from the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Hi I am heading to fuerteventura in 2 weeks and was wondering the laws on hiring a car/bikes, I am 28 hold a full Irish car and motorbike licence, is that sufficient ? Or do I need apply for an international/European licence?

Tia

Pudz

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

pudzey101 wrote: »
    Hi I am heading to fuerteventura in 2 weeks and was wondering the laws on hiring a car/bikes, I am 28 hold a full Irish car and motorbike licence, is that sufficient ? Or do I need apply for an international/European licence?

Tia

Pudz

That'll be sufficient.....just make sure you have enough on your credit card to cover the holding deposit.

368100 wrote: »
    That'll be sufficient.....just make sure you have enough on your credit card to cover the holding deposit.

Thanks so much , so my pink card licence and passport and obviously money on my card is all is needed correct ?

Thanks so much , so my pink card licence and passport and obviously money on my card is all is needed correct ?

Yep.....I do it every year, that's what I bring. Just be sure you're comfortable driving on the other side of road!!

I still have old license but if you have new one I think theres two parts? So you'd need both

368100 wrote: »
    Yep.....I do it every year, that's what I bring. Just be sure you're comfortable driving on the other side of road!!

As sweet thanks that's alot off my shoulders, I will be it's just to get to my hotel and town iv been before know the route , just never had the guts to get into a car )

As sweet thanks that's alot off my shoulders, I will be it's just to get to my hotel and town iv been before know the route , just never had the guts to get into a car )

Oh, and theyll try and sell you extra insurance for about €250 That you don't get refunded, but they dont hold the large deposit on your card. In my opinion it's a rip off, I never take it and let them hold the deposit which I get back....never had any issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,500 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You might consider taking out car hire excess insurance.
    It can save you money over taking the car hire company extra insurance at the desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭com1

It might be an idea to get excess insurance before you go too. It tends to be a lot cheaper than going with the rental companies offerings

Elperello got there before me . Also check the car carefully and go back to the rental desk straight away if you find any damage not listed on the agreement it is a good idea to take pictures

Thanks boardsies, I just checked my axa policy im covered to drive abroad if that makes any difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Take loads of photos inside, outside and underneath the car. Avoids any hassles with alledged damage when you’re home

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭893bet

Use cicar. Their price has insurance and excess included.

Good company to deal with.

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Take loads of photos inside, outside and underneath the car. Avoids any hassles with alledged damage when you’re home

I second that, take loads of pics, few companies tried to charge me for damage done previously and only I had the pics to prove it was already there id have to have paid it

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭rabwaygal

893bet wrote: »
    Use cicar. Their price has insurance and excess included.

Good company to deal with.

Agreed. Used them. Excellent. Pluscar also do insurance and excess included.

Jeez , thanks everyone never taught bout before and after pics will be sure to . Once my full Irish licence covers me and that's all I need im happy:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Thanks boardsies, I just checked my axa policy im covered to drive abroad if that makes any difference?

Makes no difference. That only applies to you driving the vehicle (s) mentioned in your policy abroad. Nothing to do with your op

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

There is no need to worry re insurance, Cicar & others will have fully comp built into their price, others like Cabrera Medina, Autoreisen, Pluscar are the same, just avoid Orlando & Goldcar, Cicar is my go to in the canaries & you can pay cash on arrival, I've never needed to use any credit or debit card unless that's changed in the last while, also if you're staying in a hotel, they will deliver the car to you if you wish, driving in Fuerteventura is easy but if staying in Corralejo, parking can be a nightmare in the town
    Cars usually have 1/4 tank of fuel, just return with same amount

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Flipperdipper

I used Payless car hire in Fuerteventura two years ago and found them to be great. When I asked what their fuel policy was he said "there's about a quarter tank in it, bring it back with about the same". I got a Fiat Punto for €98 for the week. Speed limits are generally 60-80 km/hr. Just make sure there is a warning triangle in the car, compulsory in Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,871 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Tia

Pudz

There might (most probably will) be a requirement for minimum term the license is held, so you might need to have your full license a minimum of 2 years. Also (and this might not be obvious to everyone) your license must be in date for the full term of the rental, so check when your license needs to be renewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Flying into Bilbao for a week to ten days in July any recommendations on who to use over there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

gandalf wrote: »
    Flying into Bilbao for a week to ten days in July any recommendations on who to use over there?

100% Cicar.

https://www.cicar.com/EN/view/spain-car-hire

The rental will be with Enterprise, you pick up at their desk and it will be an Enterprise car. Price quoted includes full insurance with no excess.

Have used them in Bilbao and can not fault them. The car I got had 9 Kilometers on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,871 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Tzardine wrote: »
    100% Cicar.

https://www.cicar.com/EN/view/spain-car-hire

The rental will be with Enterprise, you pick up at their desk and it will be an Enterprise car. Price quoted includes full insurance with no excess.

Have used them in Bilbao and can not fault them. The car I got had 9 Kilometers on it.

Work out approximatley 30% dearer than Alamo for my trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Anyone have any experience with Goldcar in Majorca? Have provisionally reserved a car with them for July. They're a bit cheaper than the main operators so I'm just a bit wary.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭raddo

Posted this in Bargain Alerts(Requests) also but think this may be more appropriate section.

Heading to France in a few weeks and need to rent a 7 Seater.
    Has anyone got any recommendations for Car Rental in France?

I've got a good price from carrentals.com but it is in dollars and I'm not too sure if there is an issue with insurance etc when renting via an american website.

Anybody book with carrentals.com previously?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

There's very rarely a bargain to be had when it comes to car rental because what seems like a good online price usually has hidden extras that jump out and bite you when you're standing at the desk in the airport. And if you're looking for a 7 seater, I assume that means you will have a gaggle of kids that are impatient to get moving so you will be in no position to stand there arguing.

The worst way to start your holiday is by getting ripped off with car rental extras 10 minutes after your plane lands. If I was you, I'd go with Europcar or one of the other big firms and buy an excess policy before you travel for the duration of your trip or take out an annual policy for €49, then decline the insurance they offer you at the desk. If you go with one of the big firms, they will not give you the hard sell and the online price will be the real price.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

raddo wrote: »
    Anybody book with carrentals.com previously?

I drove an Open Corsa last week in Lanzarote, total rental cost from Europcar for 7 days was €99, I declined their insurance as I have my own excess policy. I went to that website you're looking at and asked for a car in late Feb. in Lanzarote, same category as I boooked ('VW Polo or equivalent'). They claim the best price they can get is with Europcar for $191 (€169).

So not alone is their price way higher than dealing direct, you also run the risk that when you turn up, the rental company has no record of your booking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭k123456

Ryanair car hire, usually has best prices

7 seaters are expensive, can sometimes be cheaper to rent 2 smaller cars

Advertisement