Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Executive Officer Campaign 2019 Mod warning #1682

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 121 ✭✭mascherano11

I’m an existing CO in the Civil service I have two years service but only two honors at leaving very level, this this mean I am ineligible to apply?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭CandyCane_81

Does anyone have an idea of the numbers hired for Cork/Limerick, for the last campaign?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I’m an existing CO in the Civil service I have two years service but only two honors at leaving very level, this this mean I am ineligible to apply?
    If you have a leaving cert you can apply for open competition. Also with 2 years in the service you can apply for interdepartmental.
    I'm 2 weeks short of 2 years:(

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭busymammy

If you have a leaving cert you can apply for open competition. Also with 2 years in the service you can apply for interdepartmental.
    I'm 2 weeks short of 2 years:(
    Competition closing in 2 weeks. So you are good to apply 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭TheJet

Does anyone have an idea of the numbers hired for Cork/Limerick, for the last campaign?

I don’t know about Limerick but I selected Cork as one of my preferred locations. I didn’t make it to stage 2. I rang PAC last summer and they told me that very few were called for stage 2 in Cork. Hopefully this time around it will be different

busymammy wrote: »
    Competition closing in 2 weeks. So you are good to apply 😊

Can't. It's 2 years at closing date. I am 2 years mid Feb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

irish_goat wrote: »
    Regarding this, I contacted PAS as I have A-Levels and GCSEs. I got a helpful response back...

There's no mention of what PAS consider to be equivalent so I've no idea if my ALevels and GCSEs suffice. I have 2 years of an undergrad finished so I think that covers but it's not clear either.

You need to contact the NQAI and they will determine what the equivalency of your English A levels to that of the Irish Leaving Cert.

They will provide documentation which in turn will be accepted by PAS as proof of eligibility

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Samjd

That’s how I understand it, I know Tatranska is saying you can apply with Leaving Cert but I read it that you need 3 HL C’s with your two years service....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Crunchymomma

Can't. It's 2 years at closing date. I am 2 years mid Feb.

Surely you can apply for the open though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Gra11

“be serving as a Civil Servant with at least two years service and have obtained at least five subjects in the Established Leaving Certificate Examination (including Mathematics and Irish or English), three of which should be minimum Grade C (or post 2017 Leaving Certificate H4 grade) at Higher level, the others should be at a minimum Grade D (or post 2017 Leaving Certificate O6 grade) at Ordinary level; or have passed an examination(s) which would be acceptable to the Public Appointments Service as being of at least an equivalent standard to the Established Leaving Certificate.”

I think the 2 years alone counts for internal competitions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,421 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

He can and is

Hes talking about the internal as per his original post
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109169114&postcount=54

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭bgr123

Eligible for internal and inter departmental.Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Did anyone have problems getting access to the application form? My wife is currently trying to download it using Adobe Reader, but it's just stalling...?

Did anyone have problems getting access to the application form? My wife is currently trying to download it using Adobe Reader, but it's just stalling...?

Anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

Anyone

I had to download abobe Acrobat reader DC to access the file

• Advertisement

I did but having 2 avenues would have been nice.

Alonso77 wrote: »
    I had to download abobe Acrobat reader DC to access the file

Did that. Eventually found the application in the Downloads folder.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭revenent

Did that. Eventually found the application in the Downloads folder.

Usual problems with public jobs, try redownloading Adobe reader or using a different browser. E.g. forefox/chrome/internet explorer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Blackplug

How do people generally choose their locations in these campaigns?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭336699

Blackplug wrote: »
    How do people generally choose their locations in these campaigns?

I would assume people choose the county they live in and a neighbouring county.

Of course, if you have no ties and/or are willing to relocate, you could research which county hired the most people in previous campaigns and pick that one! No guarantee that things will play out the same with this campaign though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Mrsec

Does the application form need have a hand written signature or just typed?
    Also if only applying for interdepartmental do you still need to do all the aptitude tests or is it just the interview? Thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭LouD2016

Mrsec wrote: »
    Does the application form need have a hand written signature or just typed?
    Also if only applying for interdepartmental do you still need to do all the aptitude tests or is it just the interview? Thanks.

Just typed is fine.

And interdepartmental will still be all the same aptitude tests to pass before you can get to interview stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭Breezer25

I had a problem accessing it using Google Chrome. It opened with no issues when I used Internet Explorer.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Gambon

I have been serving as a CO for the past three months (yes 3 months) !! Am I wasting my time applying for this or would there be an advantage having some experience in the civil service?

All help and answers accepted.

Gambon wrote: »
    I have been serving as a CO for the past three months (yes 3 months) !! Am I wasting my time applying for this or would there be an advantage having some experience in the civil service?

Not wasting your time at all. its an open competition so anyone can apply as long as they meet the qualifications/experience terms as met out at the start of the application

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

What's the exam like for this? Any links to examples? -- Pass the math section and ace the language section?

There is an initial set of questions you do online remotely. Based on your results from this you will be give an order of merit. From here you will be called to do tests in the Civil Service Commission. These include verbal reasoning, numerical reasoning and an etray exercise. These test take approximately three hours.

I did mine yesterday for the Dublin campaign.

Breezer25 wrote: »
    There is an initial set of questions you do online remotely. Based on your results from this you will be give an order of merit. From here you will be called to do tests in the Civil Service Commission. These include verbal reasoning, numerical reasoning and an etray exercise. These test take approximately three hours.

I did mine yesterday for the Dublin campaign.

What's an etray exercise?

It is a bit like an outlook/email environment. You will receive emails with tasks to do. The tasks will have to be completed within a certain time frame. The whole exercise is set over a time frame of 1 hour 20 minutes.

In addition to the tasks given to you, you will also have to answer ad hoc query emails that come in and live feed messages (I think these are meant to be similar to receiving a telephone query).

It's not too bad, you will receive a sample exercise a week or two before the actual exams. Just practice this as it will familiarise you with how the system works.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭lateron

It is a bit like an outlook/email environment. You will receive emails with tasks to do. The tasks will have to be completed within a certain time frame. The whole exercise is set over a time frame of 1 hour 20 minutes.

In addition to the tasks given to you, you will also have to answer ad hoc query emails that come in and live feed messages (I think these are meant to be similar to receiving a telephone query).

It's not too bad, you will receive a sample exercise a week or two before the actual exams. Just practice this as it will familiarise you with how the system works.

Is there a conference to timetable in the Etray?
    Best of luck with your results.

• Advertisement

Cheers for that.

PhuckHugh wrote: »
    What's an etray exercise?
    lateron wrote: »
    Is there a conference to timetable in the Etray?
    Best of luck with your results.

Yes that is one of the tasks. I think there were 13 different appointment slots to timetable with rules around when certain ones could be done. i.e a could not happen until after d's slot and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭TommyGun2017

Gambon wrote: »

I'm only a 3 weeks into my CO role and I'm giving it a crack. My managers are helping me with the form and being very encouraging about time off for tests etc.

So no, you're not wasting your time. At the very least it is some free practice to see where you're at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭joinme

DPER is just the authority over it, it seems to be the new nationwide competition (except Dublin).

where does it say 'except Dublin' ?

joinme wrote: »
    where does it say 'except Dublin' ?

https://www.publicjobs.ie/en/index.php?option=com_jobsearch&view=jobdetails&Itemid=263&cid=101376

Very first page of the application, under "Location"

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭lateron

Yes that is one of the tasks. I think there were 13 different appointment slots to timetable with rules around when certain ones could be done. i.e a could not happen until after d's slot and so on.

Thank you so much for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭joinme

lateron wrote: »
    Thank you so much for that.

see it now! thanks

I must have missed the Dublin campaign. take it this won't happen again for a long time?

see it now! thanks

I must have missed the Dublin campaign. take it this won't happen again for a long time?

The Dublin campaign was in August 2018. The one prior to that was 2016 so it looks like there is a two year gap between campaigns.

see it now! thanks

If you live outside of dublin city centre you could always apply for meath, kildare or wicklow or anywhere else that suited, if they suit :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Sinead Mc1

Hi folks. Filling out my compentencies at present for internal EO.
    My God, they're tricky!
    Finding it particularly hard to come up with something for people management.
    All my work experience has been office based. That includes plenty of tasks fit for a manager, however, I have never been responsible for the management of people, if that makes sense.
    And obviously, as a CO, managing or telling your fellow COs what to do is fairly frowned upon also.
    Any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭eroc79

Sinead Mc1 wrote: »
    My God, they're tricky!
    All my work experience has been office based. That includes plenty of tasks fit for a manager, however, I have never been responsible for the management of people, if that makes sense.
    And obviously, as a CO, managing or telling your fellow COs what to do is fairly frowned upon also.
    Any advice?
    Have you ever needed to train someone? The experience doesn't need to come from work either. In the past, I've used experiences from my time on a parents association to show how I managed people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

Sinead Mc1 wrote: »
    My God, they're tricky!
    Any advice?

Values and supports the development of others and the team

Have you ever mentored or supported new staff (including TCO's) in getting familiar with their roles?. Or perhaps trained other staff in on a new process?

Actively shares information, knowledge and expertise to help the team to meet it’s objectives

Have you ever seen a staff member struggling with a task that your familiar with and offered your assistance or advice (without being told to by a EO etc)

I would consider these as examples

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Sinead Mc1

Hello again.
    Yes, I have trained staff! Didn't cross my mind to mention that but definitely will now.
    What a helpful bunch you are!!
    Thanks a mill!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭Mikefitzs

Really looking forward to this. Fingers and toes crossed . Good luck everyone.

Just a passenger

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Loudboy

I just downloaded the Application Form for this (1901703 Detailed English PDF V6.pdf) and there is no Section B, to insert my competencies. Is anyone else getting this error?

• Advertisement

Loudboy wrote: »
    I just downloaded the Application Form for this (1901703 Detailed English PDF V6.pdf) and there is no Section B, to insert my competencies. Is anyone else getting this error?
    This application is just previous work experience and education. Competencies aren't required yet.

Competencies seem to be required according to Posts 91 to 94 above... from Sinead Mc1
    And the form just skips from Section A to Section C

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,549 ✭✭✭MFPM

Competencies seem to be required according to Posts 91 to 94 above... from Sinead Mc1

Sinead Mc1 is applying through the internal EO competition it seems - she's already a public servant - the application process is slightly different AFAIK.

She's referring to a different competition.

Ah I see, she refers to internal EO competition..

Thanks for all the replies

• Advertisement
Advertisement