Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

If ever you get guitar acquisition syndrome you'll understand

I’ve flirted with the idea.....I haven’t the skill or the patience.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I see on www.metallica.com they've changed the location of the gig from, Dublin, Slane Castle, to Slane Castle, MEATH..........FINALLY!

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

I see on www.metallica.com they've changed the location of the gig from, Dublin, Slane Castle, to Slane Castle, MEATH..........FINALLY!

I hope they change the livemetallica site too; it will be weird having a CD on my shelf with 'Dublin Ireland, Slane Castle' on my shelf for a gig in Slane.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    I’m only a consumer, not a player, of music and a lover of metal in particular, but I have absolutely no idea what you are saying here (seriously). That post reads like an equally confusing episode of Masterchef where the judge will chew inquisitively on the food on offer, making comments about how “it’s exquisitely nutty, yet retains its fruity undertones”. I’ll add that I haven’t a musical note in my head, so perhaps a bit unfair, but it rang true as a comparison.

Haha, that would be a great job, I enjoy talking like that. Fyi, the Gibson ES 295 has oft been said to have a fruity sound, check it out for yourself, it really does. As a hollow body you get that rowntree fruit gum sound, it's all over the records of Killing Joke, the guitarist of which exclusively used the ES 295. But seriously, listen to Load, the tone is really dry compared to the 80s stuff and they've retained that sound ever since.

Kill em all sounds like cranked tube amps and Gibson pickups that's why it's so good it's a real live sound! The next two albums tone are down to flemming Rasmussen , he nailed it, the esp explorer also added something to the tone because I definitely heard a guitar tone on death magnetic that I heard on master of puppets.. And the eet fuk explorer was used on both

Yeah, it's a great sound. Normally with Gibsons I find the tone to be a bit boxy and radio-ish (for example Page guitar tones or some of the tones on Bowie's tunes, such as Ziggy Played Guitar, they sound kind of boxy with no room to breathe) but they really brought out its best qualities on Kill 'Em All, very rich but clear, I'm thinking particularly of Jump in the Fire. It's a little bit ironic that their early guitar tones sound way better than what they have now with ultra expensive guitar rigs, since all they crank out are those dry tones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

Haha, that would be a great job, I enjoy talking like that. Fyi, the Gibson ES 295 has oft been said to have a fruity sound, check it out for yourself, it really does. As a hollow body you get that rowntree fruit gum sound, it's all over the records of Killing Joke, the guitarist of which exclusively used the ES 295. But seriously, listen to Load, the tone is really dry compared to the 80s stuff and they've retained that sound ever since.

I can’t speak on your level so I can really only base it on what I hear. I assume you mean from Load onwards it was a more sanitised, made for the masses sound whereas the earlier stuff sounds like they are playing out of their garage? If so, I see what you mean but Hardwired, for me st least, seemed to go back to the thrashy routes on several tracks. Maybe I’m talking horsesh1te.

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    I can’t speak on your level so I can really only base it on what I hear. I assume you mean from Load onwards it was a more sanitised, made for the masses sound whereas the earlier stuff sounds like they are playing out of their garage? If so, I see what you mean but Hardwired, for me st least, seemed to go back to the thrashy routes on several tracks. Maybe I’m talking horsesh1te.

No, not at all, I'm comparing a guitar to a brand of sweets after all. Yes, they definitely went for the masses, but it's like the guitar tones on the earlier records actually just sounded better. They were bigger, richer, fuller tones. I think they were going for a desert/Western rock sound on Load and Reload. On St Anger the guitars sound dry and churny/sludgy without much definition though the bass and vocals are mixed well and then anything with Rubin has been way too dry, other people have said it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

So my sister was in New York on holiday and went into a liquor store and brought a bottle of Blackened Whiskey back. I'm in no way of whiskey expert but I took this from the website.

BLACKENED is a marriage of the finest bourbons, ryes & whiskeys, hand selected by Dave Pickerell himself. Each of the whiskeys offer unique flavor that play a key role in the final spirit. Predominately bourbon, the sweetness of BLACKENED pairs perfectly with the savory spice offered by the high rye composition.

Dave Pickerell is renown for his whiskey finishes—an aspect he calls “flavoring for adults”. By resting the whiskey in the barrel of another spirit during the maturation phase, the whiskey picks up some of the unique, residual flavors left behind in the barrel. For BLACKENED, Dave chose to finish the whiskey in black brandy casks. The result is an added apricot note that plays perfectly alongside the honey and caramel tones of the pre-finished spirit.

After the whiskeys have been combined in the black brandy casks for finishing, they’re jolted back to life by the unmistakable, earth-shattering music of Metallica. Using our proprietary sonic-enhancement system BLACK NOISE™, the whiskey is pummeled by sound, causing it to seep deeper into the barrel,where it picks up additional wood flavor characteristics.

The process the whiskey undergoes is intense; the flavor is anything but. The spirit has a warm, honey-amber color. Burnt caramel, oak and honey are present on the nose, with moderate hints of spice upon first taste. The flavor builds with notes of honey, cinnamon, allspice, clove and mint, with unexpected apricot lingering underneath. Expect a long andsmooth finish with slightly creamy hints of butterscotch taffy, maple and honey"

It looks too pretty to drink. My bottle is from batch 084, with a setlist of 8 songs blared at the barrel to agitate the whiskey.

1. EYE OF THE BEHOLDER
    2. BATTERY
    3. THE FOUR HORSEMEN
    4. WHISKEY IN THE JAR
    5. LORDS OF SUMMER
    6. OF WOLF AND MAN
    7. HERE COMES REVENGE
    8. DEVIL’S DANCE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

zcorpian88 wrote: »

It looks too pretty to drink. My bottle is from batch 084, with a setlist of 8 songs blared at the barrel to agitate the whiskey.

1. EYE OF THE BEHOLDER
    2. BATTERY
    3. THE FOUR HORSEMEN
    4. WHISKEY IN THE JAR
    5. LORDS OF SUMMER
    6. OF WOLF AND MAN
    7. HERE COMES REVENGE
    8. DEVIL’S DANCE

Late stage capitalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,253 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

So my sister was in New York on holiday and went into a liquor store and brought a bottle of Blackened Whiskey back. I'm in no way of whiskey expert but I took this from the website.

BLACKENED is a marriage of the finest bourbons, ryes & whiskeys, hand selected by Dave Pickerell himself. Each of the whiskeys offer unique flavor that play a key role in the final spirit. Predominately bourbon, the sweetness of BLACKENED pairs perfectly with the savory spice offered by the high rye composition.

Dave Pickerell is renown for his whiskey finishes—an aspect he calls “flavoring for adults”. By resting the whiskey in the barrel of another spirit during the maturation phase, the whiskey picks up some of the unique, residual flavors left behind in the barrel. For BLACKENED, Dave chose to finish the whiskey in black brandy casks. The result is an added apricot note that plays perfectly alongside the honey and caramel tones of the pre-finished spirit.

After the whiskeys have been combined in the black brandy casks for finishing, they’re jolted back to life by the unmistakable, earth-shattering music of Metallica. Using our proprietary sonic-enhancement system BLACK NOISE™, the whiskey is pummeled by sound, causing it to seep deeper into the barrel,where it picks up additional wood flavor characteristics.

The process the whiskey undergoes is intense; the flavor is anything but. The spirit has a warm, honey-amber color. Burnt caramel, oak and honey are present on the nose, with moderate hints of spice upon first taste. The flavor builds with notes of honey, cinnamon, allspice, clove and mint, with unexpected apricot lingering underneath. Expect a long andsmooth finish with slightly creamy hints of butterscotch taffy, maple and honey"

1. EYE OF THE BEHOLDER
    2. BATTERY
    3. THE FOUR HORSEMEN
    4. WHISKEY IN THE JAR
    5. LORDS OF SUMMER
    6. OF WOLF AND MAN
    7. HERE COMES REVENGE
    8. DEVIL’S DANCE

WTF does all that blurb mean ?!? All I see is $$$$$$$$$ ..... :rolleyes:

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

To be fair, having to listen to songs 7 and 8 on that list would agitate me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

1. EYE OF THE BEHOLDER
    2. BATTERY
    3. THE FOUR HORSEMEN
    4. WHISKEY IN THE JAR
    5. LORDS OF SUMMER
    6. OF WOLF AND MAN
    7. HERE COMES REVENGE
    8. DEVIL’S DANCE

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭Degag

To be fair, having to listen to songs 7 and 8 on that list would agitate me too.
    Actually quite like Here Comes Revenge:o

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Exclusively "uses" the es295... Their last album was amazing

Exclusively "uses" the es295... Their last album was amazing

Yes, I have no idea why I said that twice and so ungrammatically, must have been alcohol. He used a Les Paul afaik on their 1993 record which was a good idea as I don't think you can get metal tones from an ES295. I'm not really a fan of the tone from it, it's too trebley, prefer warmer tones. You can so many tones with Gibsons and Fenders though, I think maybe more compared to modern guitars.

Yes, I have no idea why I said that twice and so ungrammatically, must have been alcohol. He used a Les Paul afaik on their 1993 record which was a good idea as I don't think you can get metal tones from an ES295. I'm not really a fan of the tone from it, it's too trebley, prefer warmer tones. You can so many tones with Gibsons and Fenders though, I think maybe more compared to modern guitars.

Ah sure here it is from the horses mouth :) think he has 2 or three of them and as regards killing joke they are priceless but aside from that they're worth a lot of money these days

It's all he plays live too and the heavy stuff sounds awesome

Ah sure here it is from the horses mouth :) think he has 2 or three of them and as regards killing joke they are priceless but aside from that they're worth a lot of money these days

It's all he plays live too and the heavy stuff sounds awesome

I remember seeing that, yeah I think he said it cost him 500-600 pounds back in the day. Crazy to think how much they are now, overvalued imo like a lot of guitars. GNGs are very nice though, pickups are perfect but they sell for 6000 plus, they're the best extended range guitars I've heard.

I remember seeing that, yeah I think he said it cost him 500-600 pounds back in the day. Crazy to think how much they are now, overvalued imo like a lot of guitars. GNGs are very nice though, pickups are perfect but they sell for 6000 plus, they're the best extended range guitars I've heard.

Those particular Gibsons are rare and priced by what people are willing to pay, elvis era guitars

Degag wrote: »

Great track.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

The 'Dream no More' package, priced at 2,200Euro has sold out for Slane, make that sold out for the whole tour, ya know the old saying, a fool and his money is easily parted

• Advertisement

Degag wrote: »

Reminds me of Leper Messiah - the intro

scudzilla wrote: »
    The 'Dream no More' package, priced at 2,200Euro has sold out for Slane, make that sold out for the whole tour, ya know the old saying, a fool and his money is easily parted
    If they can afford it what's the problem? I certainly would but only if there were a good few zero's in my bank balance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Last night's performance from the Chris Cornell concert

• Registered Users Posts: 37,815 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Last night's performance from the Chris Cornell concert

St Anger era James is back

shoutout too Jack Blacks beard my god :eek::eek:

Heard something very interesting yesterday from a very good source, apparently MCD were looking at moving the Slane Gig to RDS due to poor ticket sales but the band refused (Lars likes ticking venues off his bucket list) so expect a full on media blast in Feb along with 2 more very strong support bands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

In the unlikely event MCD are reading this, here's one non Slane attendee that'll go to the RDS :)

ozzy jr wrote: »
    In the unlikely event MCD are reading this, here's one non Slane attendee that'll go to the RDS :)

Not happening, The band would have final say as they signed a contract for Slane, if they refuse to move then it stays, or MCD pay them off big bucks

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I can't see them budging on Slane Castle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

How come a god awfull live band like gnr can sell out slane yet Metallica cant

• Advertisement

scudzilla wrote: »
    Heard something very interesting yesterday from a very good source, apparently MCD were looking at moving the Slane Gig to RDS due to poor ticket sales but the band refused (Lars likes ticking venues off his bucket list) so expect a full on media blast in Feb along with 2 more very strong support bands
    Jesus that would be extemely embarrassing for all parties involved - Metallica, MCD and Mountcharles.

Hard to believe it myself as based on previous concerts Metallica will pull 30-35k in their own right without taking into account the fact they haven't been here in 10 years and the fact that they are arguably more popular now in the country than then. Also the Slane factor in itself should surely bring another 10k?

Haven't there been alot of Slanes where the attendance was around the 50k mark? Foo's being one? Can't see Metallica being too far off that really worst case scenario.

(To counteract the above point, The Cure playing the same day probably has hurt it though)

Advertisement