Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    All Within My Hands from their All Within My Hands Foundation Helping Hands Concert & Auction from earlier this month.

That sounds great. Tempted to buy the whole show, I love a bit of pedal-steel.

That sounds great. Tempted to buy the whole show, I love a bit of pedal-steel.

Went ahead and spent the tenner and downloaded the show from Live Metallica. It's really enjoyable. The mandolin, pedal steel etc. are a nice touch to the acoustic guitars.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Expecting a big Christmas promo push from MCD next week, and possibly a few more support bands to boost the poor ticket sales (Slayer, Die Antwoord & an Irish band)

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

Went ahead and spent the tenner and downloaded the show from Live Metallica. It's really enjoyable. The mandolin, pedal steel etc. are a nice touch to the acoustic guitars.

It is an enjoyable show, but Jame's voice sounds shot on some songs.(Blindman, Unforgiven etc... ) compared to other Metallica acoustic versions. The acoustic show from October 2016 (Bridge School Benefit) sounds a lot better from the vocals pov. Still, the AWMH show is a nice change for some mellow Metallica late at night ...and both concerts were for a good cause too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

scudzilla wrote: »
    Expecting a big Christmas promo push from MCD next week, and possibly a few more support bands to boost the poor ticket sales (Slayer, Die Antwoord & an Irish band)

i doubt any metal bands will be added

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭Degag

Would be fecking awesome:D

Would they or Ghost go on second last though?

Degag wrote: »
    Would be fecking awesome:D

Would they or Ghost go on second last though?

Ghost are metallicas support, all other bands will be on before ghost no matter who they are

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Acoustic album of their charity gig is being released in February

https://www.yahoo.com/news/metallica-plot-acoustic-live-album-180024320.html?guccounter=1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

What is it that makes Metallica's lyrics so easy to substitute with jokes? Is it the syntax or the way James sang them on the records? It's like Metallica lyrics are equivalent to 80s movie quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,253 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

What is it that makes Metallica's lyrics so easy to substitute with jokes? Is it the syntax or the way James sang them on the records? It's like Metallica lyrics are equivalent to 80s movie quotes.

Hes no poet laureate ... :D

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

greenspurs wrote: »
    Hes no poet laureate ... :D

Have to say I disagree with this.

Sure Kill 'Em All is dumb fun but on Creeping Death James demonstrated an aptitude for lyric writing which actually evokes something.

Was more or less perfected by the time MOP came around and polished by the time AJFA was released. Excellent social commentary on those albums at a time when their peers were were singing about moshing, satan and nuclear war.

Have to say I disagree with this.

Sure Kill 'Em All is dumb fun but on Creeping Death James demonstrated an aptitude for lyric writing which actually evokes something.

Was more or less perfected by the time MOP came around and polished by the time AJFA was released. Excellent social commentary on those albums at a time when their peers were were singing about moshing, satan and nuclear war.

I agree the lyrics have been great, as a young teen in the 80s I thought hetfield was a lyrical wordsmith motherfocka

I think he's actually a really good lyricist when he wants to be (when we exclude stuff like "I am the table").

For example, not many musicians can write lyrics as hard hitting as on And Justice for All. Lines like "Drink up, Shoot in. Let the beatings begin" are just uncompromising and bleak.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

James has had some great lines down through the years, such as

This thorn in my side
    This thorn in my side is from the tree
    This thorn in my side is from the tree I've planted
    It tears me and I bleed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

The lyrics in Dyers Eve are brilliant.

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    James has had some great lines down through the years, such as

This thorn in my side
    This thorn in my side is from the tree
    This thorn in my side is from the tree I've planted
    It tears me and I bleed

Haha, it's like computer code. These lyrics I must post though everyone knows them probably, although funnily enough I always heard the last line as "fighting so grim, so true, so real". Disappointed slightly to see Hetfield says find it.

Justice is lost justice is raped
    Justice is gone
    Pulling your strings Justice is done
    Seeking no truth winning is all
    Find it so grim so true so real

I'm finding it very odd that MCD haven't pushed the Slane show pre christmas, was expecting a huge marketing campaign along with a few extra support bands

I'm finding it very odd that MCD haven't pushed the Slane show pre christmas, was expecting a huge marketing campaign along with a few extra support bands

Maybe that’s a good thing. Maybe tickets are selling better than we all expected

They changed the songs in the ad from the heavier songs
    to the ballady ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,137 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I still always see the ad sponsored on Facebook. Can't comment for elsewhere as don't listen to the radio. Maybe it has sold better than expected so no need for this push. Plus that may affect recently announced gigs too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

Chop your breakfast on a mirror

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    Chop your breakfast on a mirror

Ok

I think I know why Metallica lyrics are so easily modifiable. They're basically all clauses/noun phrases rather than full sentences though some can act as full sentences. For example, Justice is gone, that's just a clause, you can plug in Jason for Justice and it still makes sense. Metallica lyrics are self contained statements where you can change the nouns and have the same meaning but applied to something or someone else entirely which then results in "humour".

Another thing I must say, I disagree with Phil Anselmo's assessment that Pantera would blow Metallica off the stage. It's misleading to say that as sure, 90's, hungry Pantera would do this but then Metallica had grown fat and complacent on the spoils of their success. However, Pantera would have their work cut out for them playing against 80s Metallica in their prime. Sure, they were more technically gifted but in terms of the whole package, 80s Metallica would rival them at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Another thing I must say, I disagree with Phil Anselmo's assessment that Pantera would blow Metallica off the stage. It's misleading to say that as sure, 90's, hungry Pantera would do this but then Metallica had grown fat and complacent on the spoils of their success. However, Pantera would have their work cut out for them playing against 80s Metallica in their prime. Sure, they were more technically gifted but in terms of the whole package, 80s Metallica would rival them at the very least.

Metal musicians, a very mature bunch! Both were/are incredible bands

IIRC there was in interview with Anselmo back in the 90's, they'd played a few shows with Metallica and had played an awesome set, in his words, you think you've blown them away then they play the first 3 chords of Creeping Death and it's game over

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Metal musicians, a very mature bunch! Both were/are incredible bands

It becomes a literal competition in metal doesn't it, sports metal. Yes, I agree, both bands have great songs. One thing that I'm picking up on re-listens is that Metallica's guitar tones were great in the 80s. Kirk's solo tone on Kill 'Em All is exquisite, rich yet clear, basically the perfect guitar tone, but yikes, from the Load era onward their tones go very dry and bland! I think my favourite rhythm tone would be the AJFA era, very rich, like sonic lava and it has that same processed quality that Dimebag has. In terms of lead tone though I can't really think of anything better than on Kill Em All.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

It becomes a literal competition in metal doesn't it, sports metal. Yes, I agree, both bands have great songs. One thing that I'm picking up on re-listens is that Metallica's guitar tones were great in the 80s. Kirk's solo tone on Kill 'Em All is exquisite, rich yet clear, basically the perfect guitar tone, but yikes, from the Load era onward their tones go very dry and bland! I think my favourite rhythm tone would be the AJFA era, very rich, like sonic lava and it has that same processed quality that Dimebag has. In terms of lead tone though I can't really think of anything better than on Kill Em All.

I’m only a consumer, not a player, of music and a lover of metal in particular, but I have absolutely no idea what you are saying here (seriously). That post reads like an equally confusing episode of Masterchef where the judge will chew inquisitively on the food on offer, making comments about how “it’s exquisitely nutty, yet retains its fruity undertones”. I’ll add that I haven’t a musical note in my head, so perhaps a bit unfair, but it rang true as a comparison.

Kill em all sounds like cranked tube amps and Gibson pickups that's why it's so good it's a real live sound! The next two albums tone are down to flemming Rasmussen , he nailed it, the esp explorer also added something to the tone because I definitely heard a guitar tone on death magnetic that I heard on master of puppets.. And the eet fuk explorer was used on both

• Advertisement

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    I’m only a consumer, not a player, of music and a lover of metal in particular, but I have absolutely no idea what you are saying here (seriously). That post reads like an equally confusing episode of Masterchef where the judge will chew inquisitively on the food on offer, making comments about how “it’s exquisitely nutty, yet retains its fruity undertones”. I’ll add that I haven’t a musical note in my head, so perhaps a bit unfair, but it rang true as a comparison.
    If ever you get guitar acquisition syndrome you'll understand

Advertisement